AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

Good review.

Wow. 23 db roll-off from 63 Hz to 25 Hz. Not what I consider close to ideal. No wonder the line level L & R have 13 db boost at 40 Hz.

Meanwhile other subwoofer companies are striving for flat response. It isn't that difficult to design a ported sub that is relatively flat to 25 Hz.

The examination of the box also reveals cost cutting measures. The MDF is only 0.37 inches where the driver attaches to the front baffle. There is a reason that other companies make the front baffle thicker than the rest of the cabinet, and not thinner as LAVA has done.

Sophisticated testers will often test the box for resonances. But, the review keeps coming back to the fact that this is a budget sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1392 Old 12-21-2010, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

Wow. 23 db roll-off from 63 Hz to 25 Hz. Not what I consider close to ideal. No wonder the line level L & R have 13 db boost at 40 Hz.

Meanwhile other subwoofer companies are striving for flat response. It isn't that difficult to design a ported sub that is relatively flat to 25 Hz.

The examination of the box also reveals cost cutting measures. The MDF is only 0.37 inches where the driver attaches to the front baffle. There is a reason that other companies make the front baffle thicker than the rest of the cabinet, and not thinner as LAVA has done.

Sophisticated testers will often test the box for resonances. But, the review keeps coming back to the fact that this is a budget sub.

What it shows is what consumers are willing to give up for lower costs. Most people buying these subs have not heard or lived with better performing subs, nor are they willing to compare to like priced subs, but at this sub-$300 price point, it gives them better bass than they currently have regardless if they could have better.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #813 of 1392 Old 12-21-2010, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know this is an Lava thread but what do you think would be a better setup/deal? A STF2 or two 10" lava subs. They would both be about the same price. I will be in an apartment for the next couple years.
post #814 of 1392 Old 12-21-2010, 02:17 PM

For anyone that was wondering, here's what the "loose port issue" looks like up close. Personally, I blame UPS. I've had so many damage claims from them over the last three years that the only time I have anything shipped by them is when I don't have a choice in carrier. Last year it was a $500 jewelry armoire that had a forklift put through it and since the shipping service didn't insure it, all I got for the damage claim was the $98 freight cost returned to me.

I could have it fixed before she got home (assuming the loose port didn't damage the speaker or amp inside) however the warranty card clearly states that opening up the unit voids the warranty. The worst part, for me, is that my pregnant wife views these subs as something I purchased for myself _INSTEAD_ of buying her the Coach purse she wanted for xmas instead. So, not only do I get to not spend the rest of my PTO day calibrating and testing them but I also have to deal with Ms. Rage Inhormones tell me her opinion on the great deal I got, lol.

...in all honesty, it might be worth voiding the warranty just to avoid it.
LL
post #815 of 1392 Old 12-21-2010, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minx88 View Post

I know this is an Lava thread but what do you think would be a better setup/deal? A STF2 or two 10" lava subs. They would both be about the same price. I will be in an apartment for the next couple years.

How big is the room?

What we don't know is the overall output of the Lava subs, but the STF-2 is down 2-3dB. at 25hz, where the Lava will be down 20+dB.

-curtis

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #816 of 1392 Old 12-21-2010, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjo_reich View Post

For anyone that was wondering, here's what the "loose port issue" looks like up close. Personally, I blame UPS. I've had so many damage claims from them over the last three years that the only time I have anything shipped by them is when I don't have a choice in carrier. Last year it was a $500 jewelry armoire that had a forklift put through it and since the shipping service didn't insure it, all I got for the damage claim was the $98 freight cost returned to me.

I could have it fixed before she got home (assuming the loose port didn't damage the speaker or amp inside) however the warranty card clearly states that opening up the unit voids the warranty. The worst part, for me, is that my pregnant wife views these subs as something I purchased for myself _INSTEAD_ of buying her the Coach purse she wanted for xmas instead. So, not only do I get to not spend the rest of my PTO day calibrating and testing them but I also have to deal with Ms. Rage Inhormones tell me her opinion on the great deal I got, lol.

I feel your pain. Im getting really sick of these shipping companies breaking things. I have had several claims with UPS. They are also my last choice of carriers if I have a choice in shipping.

You should of bought your wife a Coach purse earlier this year. That way you could of used the Coach purse as leverage. Coach purses are one of my wife's favorite things. She has a collection of them. Many of them where presents from me. If she ever asks. "Why do you wan't another amplifier or set of speakers"? I just ask her why she still wants another Coach purse? That usually puts a halt to the questions.
post #817 of 1392 Old 12-21-2010, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

I blame UPS.

I blame cheap glue.
post #818 of 1392 Old 12-21-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

How big is the room?

What we don't know is the overall output of the Lava subs, but the STF-2 is down 2-3dB. at 25hz, where the Lava will be down 20+dB.

For 5 months the room will be 11x11. Then after that if will be bigger. Not sure how much though.
post #819 of 1392 Old 12-21-2010, 05:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeelarr View Post

I blame cheap glue.

That is most likely.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #820 of 1392 Old 12-21-2010, 05:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

It has never looked interesting to me.

post #821 of 1392 Old 12-21-2010, 06:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minx88 View Post

For 5 months the room will be 11x11. Then after that if will be bigger. Not sure how much though.

IMO...get the Hsu...or get both, compare, and send the loser home.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #822 of 1392 Old 12-21-2010, 06:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

IMO...get the Hsu...or get both, compare, and send the loser home.

Invite your neighbors over, to help you choose.

post #823 of 1392 Old 12-21-2010, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

One of mine had the same issue but was not totally dislodged like that. I do not believe its the cheap glue though. I think a support under the back of the port would help alot. Mine is hanging by something and I was able to line it back up, but you can tell the tube wants to fall.

Either way call them up or chat online. It's not budget customer care by any means and they will make things right
post #824 of 1392 Old 12-21-2010, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
I've been giving the 2 12 inchers a good workout the past couple of weeks. I fed them Shutter Island, Public Enemies, Sherlock Holmes and Master and Commander, all on BluRay, they worked flawlessly, the amp was only slightly warm and all the screws stayed in. I checked.

This was the first time that I really auditioned them for an extended period of time and not just selected movie scenes. I picked these movies because they are bombastic and I thought they would give them a good test. They did quite nicely, IMO, and delivered clean powerful sound and vibrations throughout the room.

Very happy with the subs, I just hope they stay together.
post #825 of 1392 Old 12-22-2010, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
got my 8" last night....sounds great with my A2's in my PC setup.
post #826 of 1392 Old 12-23-2010, 08:42 PM

Help! I have massive electrical humming with both of the 10" subs I received today. Now before you say it's my electrical wiring...all I did was swamp one of the lava subs for one of my 8" CT80 Velodyne sub and I got humming. Loud humming... The Velodyne did not have any humming....
post #827 of 1392 Old 12-23-2010, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlobitz View Post

Help! I have massive electrical humming with both of the 10" subs I received today. Now before you say it's my electrical wiring...all I did was swamp one of the lava subs for one of my 8" CT80 Velodyne sub and I got humming. Loud humming... The Velodyne did not have any humming....

Let me guess would Velodyne has a 2 prong plug?

It is an electrical issue with your house. Sorry but your plug in the wall is NOT properly grounded.

Get a cheater plug which takes 3 prong to 2 prongs and that will solve your issue
post #828 of 1392 Old 12-24-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post
Let me guess would Velodyne has a 2 prong plug?

It is an electrical issue with your house. Sorry but your plug in the wall is NOT properly grounded.

Get a cheater plug which takes 3 prong to 2 prongs and that will solve your issue
Would getting a 2 prong cheater screw up the sub? I don't get any humming from other devices in my house. The humming is pretty loud, but only when connected to the receiver. Funny thing is that the receiver isn't even powered on.
post #829 of 1392 Old 12-24-2010, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post
I thought it had more to do with one part of the system having a shorter _route_ to ground than the actual receptacle not being grounded properly that caused a ground loop - e.g. the AVR being plugged into UPS/Conditioner and the subwoofer being plugged in somewhere else or the AVR being on a circuit on one phase and the subwoofer being plugged on the other phase...
post #830 of 1392 Old 12-24-2010, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Would getting a 2 prong cheater screw up the sub? I don't get any humming from other devices in my house. The humming is pretty loud, but only when connected to the receiver. Funny thing is that the receiver isn't even powered on.
Unplug the LFE on the subwoofer and see if it goes away, if it does, it's a ground loop. The receiver is using the LFE cable as a shorter route to ground than it's own grounding system.
post #831 of 1392 Old 12-24-2010, 05:59 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
I had a similar humming coming from my 12" sub. In my case the culprit was my FIOS service. The humming went away if I unplugged the FIOS coax cable from my TIVO. I fixed the problem by getting a cable tv ground loop isolator which I connected to the coax before the TIVO connection. No more humming.
post #832 of 1392 Old 12-24-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:

Unplug the LFE on the subwoofer and see if it goes away, if it does, it's a ground loop. The receiver is using the LFE cable as a shorter route to ground than it's own grounding system.

The Onkyo 805 has a nice, fat power cable, much like you would see on a computer, three prong style, but it's only a two prong cable. So is the AVR NOT grounded properly with that cable? It only has two prongs on the actual AVR box itself which leads into the cable and then the wall... I can get a ground loop isolator at Radio Shack...

OK...did the GLI and that did the trick. Split the signal out of the avr, then ran each cable separately through the GLI filter, then off to the subs. If I ran them in tandem off one side of the GLI, then the hum would come back... I haven't run the Audyssey set up for the new subs, but they definitely move a lot of air compared to my Velodyne CT-80, which they should. Will report back with more once everyone goes back to work on Monday.
post #833 of 1392 Old 12-25-2010, 09:07 AM

So, thanks to Eric and the good people at LavaSubs, I've just opened my 12" Christmas sub. I got to hooking it up about an hour ago, and lo and behold, the dreaded hummmmmmmmm began. Unfortunately, I know nothing about ground loop issues, having never dealt with them before, so I can't post my (admittedly newbie) impressions here quite yet. if anyone has any tips, let me know, otherwise it'll take some googling before I'm able to really get into my new...toy, haha.
post #834 of 1392 Old 12-25-2010, 09:31 AM

Liked: 11
People have recommended using a cheater plug to get rid of the hum.
post #835 of 1392 Old 12-25-2010, 09:44 AM

How loud is the hum?
Is it audible in your listening position?
post #836 of 1392 Old 12-25-2010, 10:23 AM

Plugged in via LFE from my Yamaha rx-v661. I'd rather not use a cheater plug--just personal preference.

The hum starts when the sub is plugged into both power and the LFE input (but if you unplug either of them, obviously the hum disappears). This is even before the power switch is turned on; it is very quiet. When I flip the power on, the hum increases when the light on the back turns green. Then, the volume knob on the back of the sub increases or decreases the hum. In any case, even with the volume knob very low, the hum is quite noticeable.

I want to diagnose and resolve the problem before I really get into sound testing. This is pretty much all I've done at this point--plug in power and LFE, volume up and down.

If anyone has further tips (again, I'd rather save the cheater plug for a last resort.) I'd love to hear them. Going to visit family for the day but I'm sure I'll be up late troubleshooting tonight.

Thanks again--on the plus side I do like the size/appearance of the sub--not terribly imposing but still a nice size. (Probably too big for the room it's in right now, but I'm moving soon, woohoo!)
post #837 of 1392 Old 12-25-2010, 11:29 AM

If it helps, I'm using a 5.1 setup (including the new sub) with a PS3, FiOS set-top box, and Slingbox plugged in via HDMI, HDMI, and component, out to an HDMI Sony LCD. Don't know if that matters or not but I figured I'd mention all the electronics connected in the vicinity, lol...
post #838 of 1392 Old 12-25-2010, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
You can try running a ground wire from the chassis of the plate amp to the chassis of the receiver. It can be attached to one of the mounting screws on the plate amp and to a screw that holds the receiver case together.
post #839 of 1392 Old 12-25-2010, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavasubs View Post

Hi everyone we are still working with audioholics.com to get a review from one of their reviewers and we hope all is ok with Scott but I did want to post a review was just done by Hometheatershack.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...er-review.html

Another good example of you get what you pay for.
post #840 of 1392 Old 12-25-2010, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

You can try running a ground wire from the chassis of the plate amp to the chassis of the receiver. It can be attached to one of the mounting screws on the plate amp and to a screw that holds the receiver case together.

I know it's more expensive, but how about adding a ups to the system for the receiver to plug in? Just wanted to know if it's an option.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Lava Subs , Lava Subs 8 Inch 100 Watt Home Theater Powered Subwoofer , Lava Subs 12 250 Watt Home Theater Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page