Lava subs - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #901 of 1392 Old 01-13-2011, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

Not trying to start an arguement at all, but if the performance is there, what does more matting have to do with it? And what would more matting do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

maybe its my lack of subwoofer knowledge, but what does the look of a sub have to do with its performance?

I could care less what the inside of my LSP12 looks like. Mine is stout and works flawlessly. The bass from this thing is ridiculous and I have yet to push it to the levels that some on here have. I cannot wait for my second one to arrive.

ratm....this all goes back to what you have said "lack of subwoofer knowledge", as well as experience. In essence, what you don't know, won't hurt you...or ignorance is bliss.

The small magnet indicates less power/output capabilities. The lack of bracing means the cabinet is susceptible to to flexing and noise/vibrations. Matting also helps in reducing internal resonances. Now these may work hand in hand, as you believe the subwoofer is a good performer....it just may mean that the subwoofer's price/performance ratio doesn't warrant having better features in these areas.

Anyways, if you don't care, or don't desire better performance, don't worry about it...just enjoy.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #902 of 1392 Old 01-13-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
drewTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA
Posts: 1,808
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Ignorance is bliss. =)
drewTT is online now  
post #903 of 1392 Old 01-13-2011, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ratm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Curtis,

You are right. My subwoofer knowledge is evident. However, its not like I dont want better performance. Believe me, I would love to afford an SVS Ultra or a Submersive or something along those lines, or even an Empire. Hopefully one day after putting the 4 rugrats thru college I will. Thank you for taking a few minutes to explain the innards of a sub.
ratm is offline  
post #904 of 1392 Old 01-13-2011, 09:17 PM
Member
 
JohnnyWash1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

ratm....this all goes back to what you have said "lack of subwoofer knowledge", as well as experience. In essence, what you don't know, won't hurt you...or ignorance is bliss.

The small magnet indicates less power/output capabilities. The lack of bracing means the cabinet is susceptible to to flexing and noise/vibrations. Matting also helps in reducing internal resonances. Now these may work hand in hand, as you believe the subwoofer is a good performer....it just may mean that the subwoofer's price/performance ratio doesn't warrant having better features in these areas.

Anyways, if you don't care, or don't desire better performance, don't worry about it...just enjoy.

I think everybody understands these elementary points. The not-so-obvious-yet-still-obvious question is: What does all of that matter if the subwoofer still sounds good?

If you want quality for an inexpensive price, you have to make smart cuts. It looks like Lava has done that and delivered a nice sounding speaker for a reasonable price.
JohnnyWash1 is offline  
post #905 of 1392 Old 01-13-2011, 11:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWash1 View Post

I think everybody understands these elementary points. The not-so-obvious-yet-still-obvious question is: What does all of that matter if the subwoofer still sounds good?

If you want quality for an inexpensive price, you have to make smart cuts. It looks like Lava has done that and delivered a nice sounding speaker for a reasonable price.

Agreed....but you have to quantify/qualify "good"....what does "good" mean in this case? What are you comparing it to?

Like I posted to ratm....if you like it, then don't worry about it.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
post #906 of 1392 Old 01-14-2011, 12:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
Patrick Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 788
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Agreed....but you have to quantify/qualify "good"....what does "good" mean in this case? What are you comparing it to?

Like I posted to ratm....if you like it, then don't worry about it.

So, by your convoluted logic... if I eat lobster and proclaim it 'good' does that mean that I can't possibly know what 'good' means without having tasted every creature in the sea?

It interesting to see the tag under your name, "listen for yourself", and then when one does that, you dismiss your own advice lest they meet your esoteric standards. Whatever they may be.

As someone once said about pornography, I don't know how to describe it but I know it when I see it.
Patrick Murphy is offline  
post #907 of 1392 Old 01-14-2011, 07:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

So, by your convoluted logic... if I eat lobster and proclaim it 'good' does that mean that I can't possibly know what 'good' means without having tasted every creature in the sea?

It interesting to see the tag under your name, "listen for yourself", and then when one does that, you dismiss your own advice lest they meet your esoteric standards. Whatever they may be.

As someone once said about pornography, I don't know how to describe it but I know it when I see it.

Not every creature in the sea. But I would ask "what other lobster have you had, and how was it prepared?"

When you judge competitors, do you believe you need to see them to declare if one is better than the other?
Do you just slap parts of a subwoofer together and have a "good" subwoofer?
Do you think there is any thought put into a subwoofer design?
Do you believe some subwoofers are better than others? If so, why? If not, why?

There are no esoteric standards in the above questions.

BTW, I forgot to mention this in my previous posts, but judging by the pictures of the inside of the Lava sub, for the price of the sub, I don't think it is unreasonable.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
post #908 of 1392 Old 01-14-2011, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Chu Gai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NYC area
Posts: 14,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

So, by your convoluted logic... if I eat lobster and proclaim it 'good' does that mean that I can't possibly know what 'good' means without having tasted every creature in the sea?

It interesting to see the tag under your name, "listen for yourself", and then when one does that, you dismiss your own advice lest they meet your esoteric standards. Whatever they may be.

As someone once said about pornography, I don't know how to describe it but I know it when I see it.

Charlie Sheen seems to be of the opinion that one ought to sample a variety of lobsters in order to qualify them.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Chu Gai is online now  
post #909 of 1392 Old 01-14-2011, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Cschang since younger such a subwoofer genius you have $280 to spend on a new subwoofer what do you buy?

You love to hate on lava for no reason and you reference subwoofers that cost double. Of course you get more for your money with most companies in the audio field. I understand your negative opinion but you poo-poo the fact that some people have never compared it to another similar priced subwoofer but you yourself hasn't even heard that subwoofer

Itsna bit hypocritical FYI


Let people be happy with the it budget subwoofer not every once can drop 500 plus on one speaker. Until you hear the lava lp12 and its competitor and do a side by side comparison your opinion is better served elsewhere in threads with people that can actually spend the money you spent on a sub.
crazyrob425 is offline  
post #910 of 1392 Old 01-14-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post
Let people be happy with the it budget subwoofer not every once can drop 500 plus on one speaker. Until you hear the lava lp12 and its competitor and do a side by side comparison your opinion is better served elsewhere in threads with people that can actually spend the money you spent on a sub.
Uh...doesn't that go both ways?

Didn't I post "if you like it, then don't worry about it"?

I never said it was bad...never said it was good, all I have asked is "compared to what?"

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
post #911 of 1392 Old 01-14-2011, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ratm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai
Charlie Sheen seems to be of the opinion that one ought to sample a variety of lobsters in order to qualify them.
Awesome post!!!!!
ratm is offline  
post #912 of 1392 Old 01-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Member
 
Hawkrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I guess the next question to ask is that if one were to add damping material and/or bracing to the sub, would it sound better? You know, it's not outside the capability of most of us to do this, but it IS outside most of our capabilities to actually measure a difference. Just listening will not tell the truth. Most of us, after spending two hours on a project would hope that it sounds better, thus it would sound better.

So who wants to give it a shot?

Greg
Hawkrider is offline  
post #913 of 1392 Old 01-17-2011, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ratm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkrider View Post

So I guess the next question to ask is that if one were to add damping material and/or bracing to the sub, would it sound better? You know, it's not outside the capability of most of us to do this, but it IS outside most of our capabilities to actually measure a difference. Just listening will not tell the truth. Most of us, after spending two hours on a project would hope that it sounds better, thus it would sound better.

So who wants to give it a shot?

Anyone? I'd like to know this as well.

Also, Eric, is the game plan still to ship the LSP12 on the 21st?
ratm is offline  
post #914 of 1392 Old 01-17-2011, 09:51 AM
Member
 
UDubFan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Albany, Oregon
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

Anyone? I'd like to know this as well.

Also, Eric, is the game plan still to ship the LSP12 on the 21st?

I E-mailed them last thursday about the LSP12 if the ship date was still the 21st. Haven't got a reply yet. Will post when i do.
UDubFan17 is offline  
post #915 of 1392 Old 01-17-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ratm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Thanks dubya
ratm is offline  
post #916 of 1392 Old 01-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Member
 
lavasubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

Anyone? I'd like to know this as well.

Also, Eric, is the game plan still to ship the LSP12 on the 21st?

Yes, the LSP12's as well as the LSP10's that are on back-order will ship on 1-21 as planned. I just got word from the shipping department that the shipment has now cleared customs and will be on time.

Eric
Lava Subs
lavasubs is offline  
post #917 of 1392 Old 01-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Member
 
doc5150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

Anyone? I'd like to know this as well.

Also, Eric, is the game plan still to ship the LSP12 on the 21st?

The only reason the box would need acoustic material is if it had resonance problems, Thats why they put it around the port tubes. I have asked the DIY guys the same question as I am working on designing a sub for myself. So there is no reason to use it unless it is needed especially on a ported design, sealed is a different story.
doc5150 is online now  
post #918 of 1392 Old 01-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Member
 
UDubFan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Albany, Oregon
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavasubs View Post
Yes, the LSP12's as well as the LSP10's that are on back-order will ship on 1-21 as planned. I just got word from the shipping department that the shipment has now cleared customs and will be on time.
Thanks Eric, Cant wait to match the 12 up with the two lava tens i already have! hope to make a weekend of it figuring out the best placement for the 3 subs.
UDubFan17 is offline  
post #919 of 1392 Old 01-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Member
 
UDubFan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Albany, Oregon
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got an e-mail from Lava and the backorder LSP12 will start shipping Friday.
UDubFan17 is offline  
post #920 of 1392 Old 01-19-2011, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ratm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by udubfan17
just got an e-mail from lava and the backorder lsp12 will start shipping friday.
holla!!!!
ratm is offline  
post #921 of 1392 Old 01-20-2011, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ratm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Just got my email. Sub ships tomorrow.
ratm is offline  
post #922 of 1392 Old 01-22-2011, 12:39 AM
Member
 
UDubFan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Albany, Oregon
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody watch the opening scene of Serenity and have your sub distort? First time i have heard these subs distort. Rest of the movie was fine just the opening scene.
UDubFan17 is offline  
post #923 of 1392 Old 01-22-2011, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ratm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDubFan17 View Post

Anybody watch the opening scene of Serenity and have your sub distort? First time i have heard these subs distort. Rest of the movie was fine just the opening scene.

I meant to ask you, regarding the phase settings, how you gonna set that up once the other sub arrives?
ratm is offline  
post #924 of 1392 Old 01-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Member
 
UDubFan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Albany, Oregon
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

I meant to ask you, regarding the phase settings, how you gonna set that up once the other sub arrives?

Just going to set them on 0 and then use my SPL meter on some music and switch each sub to 180 and see which way is louder on the meter. If the same i will leave all of them at 0.
UDubFan17 is offline  
post #925 of 1392 Old 01-22-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ratm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDubFan17 View Post

Just going to set them on 0 and then use my SPL meter on some music and switch each sub to 180 and see which way is louder on the meter. If the same i will leave all of them at 0.

I always thought you should have one at 0 and one at 180.
ratm is offline  
post #926 of 1392 Old 01-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Member
 
UDubFan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Albany, Oregon
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

I always thought you should have one at 0 and one at 180.

Only if the over all sound gets louder. If the sound stays the same best to leave on 0. On the 2 subs i have now there is no difference in volume between setting at 0 or 180 so i just leave them both at zero. But i could be wrong also. lol
UDubFan17 is offline  
post #927 of 1392 Old 01-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Member
 
mlobitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDubFan17 View Post

Anybody watch the opening scene of Serenity and have your sub distort? First time i have heard these subs distort. Rest of the movie was fine just the opening scene.

Prince of Persia(if you can get past the silliness of this movie and just let the soundtrack rock your HT, then enjoy) distorted on one of the 2 10" subs in one scene, but that was it. Using the SPL meter made a world of difference. The hardest part was setting the phase. I set one to 0 and the other to 180 and then dialed in the settings(took a while though.) I have them set 90 degrees to the TV about 6 feet back on the sides. I have another sub (8" Velodyne CT80) I might light up in the front just for sh*** and giggles. That one is front firing as well about 3 feet to the left of the TV.
mlobitz is offline  
post #928 of 1392 Old 01-24-2011, 02:55 PM
Member
 
Fencer04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just ordered a 12" from Eric on the phone. What a great guy, he helped me decide based on my room size and also didn't try to steer me toward a more expensive option. Can't wait to see how it sounds!
Fencer04 is offline  
post #929 of 1392 Old 01-24-2011, 05:08 PM
Member
 
Elisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What's more expensive than a 12?
Elisha is offline  
post #930 of 1392 Old 01-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Member
 
UDubFan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Albany, Oregon
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisha View Post

What's more expensive than a 12?

Two 12's
UDubFan17 is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Lava Subs , Lava Subs 8 Inch 100 Watt Home Theater Powered Subwoofer , Lava Subs 12 250 Watt Home Theater Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off