Lava subs - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
woodsart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hey, based on the reviews, I would be interested in purchasing a Lava sub, without hesitation.

I do not pay much attention to graphs either, unless the are registering unacceptable curves. I have not done this neither do I understand it.

Never have I been disappointed in purchasing an item when there have been favorable reviews. I am also fortunate to have some friends who's knowledge I depend on in making audio decisions.

And, you guys have done some comparisons and with a few other reviews, I would be sold, if #1 the price was right....#2 the look was....and the performance....I know very little of subs, so, I have to trust others. I know the biggies....SVS, Rythmik, HSU and other audiophile household names.

And, at the time when I upgrade my home theater these would apply. For now with my little WAF-1s for 2 channel in the PC room, a small inexpensive high quality sub would do just fine. The name brand biggies @ 1K+ would be too much for these little gems. I may only need an 8" or 10" rather than the 12".
woodsart is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-10-2010, 06:18 PM
Member
 
redonly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

Almost directly under my CC and TV. Maybe just a tad to the left. Once I get a new audio rack or TV stand/Console, it will move to a corner.

Thanks for the review and the extra info. I was curious if you had it near a corner. Are you running your old sub also or just your new one? Have been wondering how the SQ would be running and old sub and a new one together. If I keep the volume low on my old sub it's not too boomy.

Will probably order a new Lava sub before too long, really sounds like a good bang for the buck sub.

Ricky
redonly is offline  
Old 10-10-2010, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ratm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Although I still have it, I am not hooking it up. I only have space for one so sadly the velodyne is headed to craigslist. Eventually I will have room for both, so then I'll get another lava.
ratm is offline  
Old 10-13-2010, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,506
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Another "review" if you can call it that! They have never heard the subwoofer and yet they are commenting on it?
http://home-subwoofers-review.topten...rs-review.html
crazyrob425 is offline  
Old 10-13-2010, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
woodsart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Another "review" if you can call it that! They have never heard the subwoofer and yet they are commenting on it?
http://home-subwoofers-review.topten...rs-review.html

Read the review, not clear I understand this.....concerning ported subs....

Quote:

"They can also be used to play music, though they will not sound quite as crisp as subwoofer speakers in a non-ported enclosure."

Unquote

Haven't heard this before as I am looking for a sub for 2 channel listening with a tube amp.

Any comments?
woodsart is offline  
Old 10-13-2010, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,506
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsart View Post

Read the review, not clear I understand this.....concerning ported subs....

Quote:

"They can also be used to play music, though they will not sound quite as crisp as subwoofer speakers in a non-ported enclosure."

Unquote

Haven't heard this before as I am looking for a sub for 2 channel listening with a tube amp.

Any comments?

The link is NOT a reveiw!!!! They haven't heard Lava at all! They are just commenting on it.

But if music is your preference a sealed subwoofer is better for you
crazyrob425 is offline  
Old 10-13-2010, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
woodsart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

The link is NOT a reveiw!!!! They haven't heard Lava at all! They are just commenting on it.

But if music is your preference a sealed subwoofer is better for you

That was the question....thanks!! I just assumed that was the consensus on ported/unported subs

I noticed the BIC got the best rating in the top 10 on this review. I think placing the Lava at the bottom of the list wasn't fair since they haven't taken a listen.

http://home-subwoofers-review.topten...com/index.html
woodsart is offline  
Old 10-13-2010, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
flyng_fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 3,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 156
The list is crap. Look at it again and you'll see some real stinkeroo subs on there. I recommended a Lava 12" to a buddy based on some of the comments I've read here. It sure is a whole lot of bang for your buck. I did notice some bad info on their site though. They advocated that you can place your sub most anywhere in the room with similar results. That is most definitely untrue. Eric, you might want to look into that.

Television: Mitsubishi WD65737 DLP
Processor: Emotiva UMC-200
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 251.1 Sub: Danley DTS-10
Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655
flyng_fool is online now  
Old 10-13-2010, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
woodsart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

The list is crap. Look at it again and you'll see some real stinkeroo subs on there. I recommended a Lava 12" to a buddy based on some of the comments I've read here. It sure is a whole lot of bang for your buck.

Hey FL,

I agree I wouldn't be interested in any of the ones listed, except the Lava.

Is your buddy here on the forum? I would like to hear his comments.

I probably will wind up with a Rythmik 15 for the new theater, but for the 2 channel, I need something smaller and cheaper. That is why Lava caught my attention. It does seem like it would be a great sub given the price point.

I go mostly with the reviews because I don't live close to areas where I can take a listen. I purchased a pair of TCA WAF-1 speakers and very satisfied. Just got my Yaqin MS-10L Tube amp in for 2 channel with the PC and wow is all I can say on that. I have a good online buddy, who reviews speakers, etc. and he is a great help.

In fact because of him is how I decided on my theater speakers, the Salk Signature Sound Songtowers RT for the theater. I did get a chance to audition them in Raleigh, NC and that is all it took.

So, because of the size of the WAFs, I need a sub.

Where is Frisco? I am originally from Orange!

Thanks!
woodsart is offline  
Old 10-13-2010, 08:50 AM
Member
 
lavasubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

The list is crap. Look at it again and you'll see some real stinkeroo subs on there. I recommended a Lava 12" to a buddy based on some of the comments I've read here. It sure is a whole lot of bang for your buck. I did notice some bad info on their site though. They advocated that you can place your sub most anywhere in the room with similar results. That is most definitely untrue. Eric, you might want to look into that.

I noticed the review the other day as well and have been trying to get in contact with someone over at toptenreviews.com to get a real review. We have no problem sending them a sub for review if they would have asked.

I hope they actually do reviews of subwoofers and not just take info from the web and arrange it how they like but I will let you know what I find out.

Also, thanks for the input on article on the the site. I will make sure someone looks into it.

Eric
Lava Subs
lavasubs is offline  
Old 10-13-2010, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
flyng_fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 3,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsart View Post

Hey FL,

I agree I wouldn't be interested in any of the ones listed, except the Lava.

Is your buddy here on the forum? I would like to hear his comments.

I probably will wind up with a Rythmik 15 for the new theater, but for the 2 channel, I need something smaller and cheaper. That is why Lava caught my attention. It does seem like it would be a great sub given the price point.

I go mostly with the reviews because I don't live close to areas where I can take a listen. I purchased a pair of TCA WAF-1 speakers and very satisfied. Just got my Yaqin MS-10L Tube amp in for 2 channel with the PC and wow is all I can say on that. I have a good online buddy, who reviews speakers, etc. and he is a great help.

In fact because of him is how I decided on my theater speakers, the Salk Signature Sound Songtowers RT for the theater. I did get a chance to audition them in Raleigh, NC and that is all it took.

So, because of the size of the WAFs, I need a sub.

Where is Frisco? I am originally from Orange!

Thanks!

For music most folks go with sealed subs. They generally are a bit more accurate because the air in the cabinet acts as sort of a air suspension for the driver. It tends to dampen movement and keep things tighter. (At least thats the way I understand it.) The ports on a ported sub give you more output and extension but at the expense of some accuracy. There is nothing there to help dampen the movement of the cone. The Lava's look great for HT use, don't know about their musicality. Honestly I've never heard one and look forward to hearing it if my buddy ends up purchasing one. My friend is here on AVS but he's more of a lurker than a hardcore audio/video nut like me. For my bass needs I ended up with a Danley DTS-10.

Frisco is a suburb of Dallas, way far from Orange.

Television: Mitsubishi WD65737 DLP
Processor: Emotiva UMC-200
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 251.1 Sub: Danley DTS-10
Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655
flyng_fool is online now  
Old 10-13-2010, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,506
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavasubs View Post

I hope they actually do reviews of subwoofers and not just take info from the web and arrange it how they like but I will let you know what I find out.

Also, thanks for the input on article on the the site. I will make sure someone looks into it.

Try audioholics.com they occasionally due budget shootouts of products and their opinion is pretty respected here. I know they were talking about a subwoofer shootout.

I would think a favorable Audioholics review of your subwoofer might change some people's opinion of your subwoofer
crazyrob425 is offline  
Old 10-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
woodsart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

For music most folks go with sealed subs. They generally are a bit more accurate because the air in the cabinet acts as sort of a air suspension for the driver. It tends to dampen movement and keep things tighter. (At least thats the way I understand it.) The ports on a ported sub give you more output and extension but at the expense of some accuracy. There is nothing there to help dampen the movement of the cone. The Lava's look great for HT use, don't know about their musicality. Honestly I've never heard one and look forward to hearing it if my buddy ends up purchasing one. My friend is here on AVS but he's more of a lurker than a hardcore audio/video nut like me. For my bass needs I ended up with a Danley DTS-10.

Frisco is a suburb of Dallas, way far from Orange.

Hope is wasn't the DTS-10 " Super Spud" kit. Was it!!

Some ideas on sealed subs??? Cheap!!! NOT DIY!!!, please!
woodsart is offline  
Old 10-13-2010, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ransac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tryon, NC
Posts: 4,627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavasubs View Post

I noticed the review the other day as well and have been trying to get in contact with someone over at toptenreviews.com to get a real review. We have no problem sending them a sub for review if they would have asked.

I hope they actually do reviews of subwoofers and not just take info from the web and arrange it how they like but I will let you know what I find out.

Also, thanks for the input on article on the the site. I will make sure someone looks into it.

Not a real good technique to review a sub. Did you notice in the summary they dinged you for inattentive CS? Peggy must have been on a smoke break.

If you want to get the word out about your subs, go to AVTalk and see if you can get one of your subs to them for testing. These guys do GP measurements and publish a list each year. They will expose all your sub's weaknesses and strengths. Though many try to discount GP measurements because they don't reflect how a sub will sound in your own HT, many still refer to the AVTalk measurements when it comes to the 'my sub is better than your sub' arguments. You can see their work HERE. Unfortunately, their are in the UK.

Randy
ransac is offline  
Old 10-13-2010, 01:50 PM
Member
 
lavasubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post

Not a real good technique to review a sub. Did you notice in the summary they dinged you for inattentive CS? Peggy must have been on a smoke break.

If you want to get the word out about your subs, go to AVTalk and see if you can get one of your subs to them for testing. These guys do GP measurements and publish a list each year. They will expose all your sub's weaknesses and strengths. Though many try to discount GP measurements because they don't reflect how a sub will sound in your own HT, many still refer to these when it comes to the my sub is better than your sub arguments.

I freaking hate Peggy I can't believe her lately. I guess they most likely didn't try to call us, email us, or even chat live with us but you win some and you lose some.

Also good to know about AV Talk. We have actually been going back and forth with Gene at Audioholics.com and have sent them a sub so hopefully we will have a review from them in a couple weeks. I will reach out to AV Talk as well so we can have them take a look at the Lava Subs as well.

Eric
Lava Subs
lavasubs is offline  
Old 10-13-2010, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Eric (lavasubs),

Can you comment on the 13dB boost at 40hz? Why is it there and when does it come into play?

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
Old 10-13-2010, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mojomike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 6,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

For music most folks go with sealed subs. They generally are a bit more accurate because the air in the cabinet acts as sort of a air suspension for the driver. It tends to dampen movement and keep things tighter. (At least thats the way I understand it.) The ports on a ported sub give you more output and extension but at the expense of some accuracy. There is nothing there to help dampen the movement of the cone. The Lava's look great for HT use, don't know about their musicality. Honestly I've never heard one and look forward to hearing it if my buddy ends up purchasing one. My friend is here on AVS but he's more of a lurker than a hardcore audio/video nut like me. For my bass needs I ended up with a Danley DTS-10.

Frisco is a suburb of Dallas, way far from Orange.



That explanation about the relative accuracy of ported vs sealed subs for music is a mixed bag of inaccuracies. For example, if a cone requires air suspension for accuracy, then why are the woofers in most well-regarded full-range speakers ported?
mojomike is offline  
Old 10-13-2010, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
spyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Eric (lavasubs),

Can you comment on the 13dB boost at 40hz? Why is it there and when does it come into play?

Curtis

I certainly don't speak for Eric, far from it as the question has been asked now about 5 times and Eric has made a business decision not to answer the question, at least not yet.

When I looked at the directions on the LAVA web site for their recommendation on placing their subwoofers, I noticed that for one sub they recommend placing the sub "directly below the television but slightly off the floor". For two subs the recommendation is to "place them to each side of the TV or entertainment center"

It is really unusual to recommend that the sub be off the floor. The recommendation also completely ignores the advice of people who were designing and selling subs when Eric was a teenager. That advice is to start with corner placement and work away from boundaries if needed.

The simplistic directions strongly suggest that the target market for LAVA subs are newbies.
spyboy is offline  
Old 10-13-2010, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
flyng_fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 3,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

That explanation about the relative accuracy of ported vs sealed subs for music is a mixed bag of inaccuracies. For example, if a cone requires air suspension for accuracy, then why are the woofers in most well-regarded full-range speakers ported?

What size woofer? What kind of port? What is the internal arrangement of the cabinet? There are too many variables to say one way or another that ports are bad or ports are good, or whatever. There certainly is a whole lot of other factors coming into play. I tend to agree with you on the mixed bag of inaccuracies though.

Television: Mitsubishi WD65737 DLP
Processor: Emotiva UMC-200
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 251.1 Sub: Danley DTS-10
Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655
flyng_fool is online now  
Old 10-13-2010, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
flyng_fool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 3,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsart View Post

Hope is wasn't the DTS-10 " Super Spud" kit. Was it!!

Some ideas on sealed subs??? Cheap!!! NOT DIY!!!, please!

Yup, it was a super spud kit. Like mojomike said. You probably don't need to worry about ported vs sealed so much. Just get a lava 12", listen to it, and return it if you don't like it.

Television: Mitsubishi WD65737 DLP
Processor: Emotiva UMC-200
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 251.1 Sub: Danley DTS-10
Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655
flyng_fool is online now  
Old 10-13-2010, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jephdood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Any thoughts on offering a 15" model? The larger budget sub market is pretty much open with the MFW-15 now out of the picture.
jephdood is online now  
Old 10-13-2010, 04:31 PM
Newbie
 
harmonfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

Eric (lavasubs),

Can you comment on the 13dB boost at 40hz? Why is it there and when does it come into play?

Is the notion of the 13dB boost based on the graph in post #39? If so, I think pbc has made it clear that the measurements were not taken on a Lava sub.

Or did I miss something?

(Edit: I see it now, on the specifications chart.)

Regards,
harmonfan
harmonfan is offline  
Old 10-13-2010, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ratm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post


Curtis

I certainly don't speak for Eric, far from it as the question has been asked now about 5 times and Eric has made a business decision not to answer the question, at least not yet.

When I looked at the directions on the LAVA web site for their recommendation on placing their subwoofers, I noticed that for one sub they recommend placing the sub "directly below the television but slightly off the floor". For two subs the recommendation is to "place them to each side of the TV or entertainment center"

It is really unusual to recommend that the sub be off the floor. The recommendation also completely ignores the advice of people who were designing and selling subs when Eric was a teenager. That advice is to start with corner placement and work away from boundaries if needed.

The simplistic directions strongly suggest that the target market for LAVA subs are newbies.

I'm not sure if that's a dig on lava or not. Either way, I have this sub exactly where the suggest for one sub. I did this on my own and just realized the suggestion from reading your post. Bottom line, I don't know what the 13db boost at 40hz means or what the benefits/detriments are. This sub works and works exceptionally well. I have some other HT purchases to make but once those are complete, a 2nd Lava sub will find it's way to my house.
ratm is offline  
Old 10-13-2010, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ratm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jephdood View Post

Any thoughts on offering a 15" model? The larger budget sub market is pretty much open with the MFW-15 now out of the picture.

He mentioned that already. They will eventually, but just not now.
ratm is offline  
Old 10-13-2010, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
woodsart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 759
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

Yup, it was a super spud kit. Like mojomike said. You probably don't need to worry about ported vs sealed so much. Just get a lava 12", listen to it, and return it if you don't like it.

I worry about everything, just kidding!~!~I am only doing this room one time, no upgrades, well maybe some cables and such, and when this tubey breaks in, no more amps, finally be done with that.

Why then, have I been recommended unported for music???

I have been looking into small diy sub kits for fun. The room is very small 11x12x9 feet.

Got any ideas on that???

Thanks

And, I am considering 2 of the lava 12s for the theater. Or either the Rythmik 15. The room is large, so I may need two.
woodsart is offline  
Old 10-13-2010, 05:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

I'm not sure if that's a dig on lava or not. Either way, I have this sub exactly where the suggest for one sub. I did this on my own and just realized the suggestion from reading your post. Bottom line, I don't know what the 13db boost at 40hz means or what the benefits/detriments are. This sub works and works exceptionally well. I have some other HT purchases to make but once those are complete, a 2nd Lava sub will find it's way to my house.

While I realize you like the sub, and I am happy that you do, there is no other highly thought of sub on these forums that has this type of boost, or placement recommendations. So, I'd like to know why and have asked the Lava representative.

I realize it makes no difference to you, but there are some of us that would like to know. In the very least, it is interesting. What makes it more interesting is that the Lava rep is actively participating in the thread, and has not addressed the 13dB boost at 40hz...and it has been asked more than a few times.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
Old 10-13-2010, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ratm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

While I realize you like the sub, and I am happy that you do, there is no other highly thought of sub on these forums that have this type of a boost, or placement recommendations. So, I'd like to know why and have asked the Lava representative.

I realize it makes no difference to you, but there are some of us that would like to know.

I didn't mean to come across like a dick. Can you give me a quick cliffs notes version as to why this may be good or bad?
ratm is offline  
Old 10-13-2010, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

I didn't mean to come across like a dick. Can you give me a quick cliffs notes version as to why this may be good or bad?

Sure, mojomike made a post refering to it earlier in the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

To me that would imply some sort of peaky boomy unpleasantness that I would be looking to eq out.


-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
Old 10-13-2010, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ratm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post


Sure, mojomike made a post refering to it earlier in the thread.

Hmmmm, well I haven't heard or felt any boominess at all. In fact just the opposite. To me it seems very tight.
ratm is offline  
Old 10-13-2010, 05:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cschang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 14,783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

Hmmmm, well I haven't heard or felt any boominess at all. In fact just the opposite. To me it seems very tight.

Great. Which is why earlier I asked if there were any measurements, so to see if that peak was there.

I know some in this thread poo poo on measurements, when some of us would like them to get a better understanding on what the sub is doing.

Like mentioned earlier, I am interested in Lavasubs' response to the question.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

cschang is offline  
 

Tags
Lava Subs , Lava Subs 8 Inch 100 Watt Home Theater Powered Subwoofer , Lava Subs 12 250 Watt Home Theater Powered Subwoofer
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off