Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1392 Old 09-10-2010, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
http://www.lavasubs.com/home-theater-subwoofers.html

Anybody here use them?

Maybe this world is another planet's hell.
Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1392 Old 09-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
No, but their 10" and 12" have the same frequency response. Whats the point of that?
post #3 of 1392 Old 09-10-2010, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeelarr View Post

No, but their 10" and 12" have the same frequency response. Whats the point of that?

So does Outlaw audio

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfmcompact.html

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfm1plus.html

w/o port plug

Aldous Huxley
post #4 of 1392 Old 09-10-2010, 12:24 PM

Liked: 15
I looked at their website yesterday. They just look like another set of generic small subs with medicore amps to me.
post #5 of 1392 Old 09-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

key phrase in bold
post #6 of 1392 Old 09-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Not that there's anything wrong with it, but their pricing is interesting. The LSP12 is $338.46. That's very exact.

Their pricing structure seems reasonable. They present themselves as being fairly established with online rep(s) available for chat and all. However, Google seems to say otherwise from what I could gather. It would be interesting if they would participate here at AVSforum.
post #7 of 1392 Old 09-10-2010, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Those subs look a lot like the old M&K subs.
post #8 of 1392 Old 09-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post

I find this, from their About page, amusing:
We are able to give you the same quality products that are installed in million dollar homes at roughly half the cost because WE ARE THE MANUFACTURER.
I guess if your paying the mortgage on a $1M home, you can't afford a better sub.

Don't settle for a no-name brand of speaker...
Yep. Lava Subs is a household name.

...Our latest models represent an evolution and refinement by our engineers over the past 10 years of product development.

It took their engineers 10 years to come up with an 8", 10", and 12" sub? This is their complete portfolio of products.

Coming soon to a gas station near you. Look for our white van distribution centers.

If you look up their phone number, you'll find other 'companies' use it as well. I would stay away from these guys. Something very suspicious about them.

lol, nice! There would be something humorous to getting burned by Lava.
post #9 of 1392 Old 09-10-2010, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I see two possible scenarios with these guys.

Scenario 1:
You contact them and they are the friendliest, most helpful people. So you buy the sub. Of course they talk you into getting the 12".

What you receive, 31 days later, is a cheap POS with a $7 driver, $20 Amp, and an IKEA box that weighs 14 pounds.

You don't even hook it up. You call them and a guy with an Eastern European accent answers the phone.

Voice on phone: Hello, my name is Peggy. How may I help you.

You: I purchased one of your subs and I want to take advantage of the 30 day, no questions asked, return policy. How does this work?

Peggy: We show you purchased this 31 days ago, so it is past the return date. Thank you for your business. Click.

You: I should have bought the MFW-15.

Scenario 2:
You receive the sub in 7 days only to find it is a POS. Call CS and a woman that sounds like Dr. Girlfriend answers.

Voice on phone: Hello, my name is Peggy. How may I help you?

You: I need to return this sub. How do I do this?

Peggy: I will give you an RMA and a freight call ticket for our shipper. You call them and tell them when to come pick up. There will be a $50 packing charge and the return shipping is $175.

You: You are going to charge me $225 to return the sub? I will pack it myself and use my own shipper.

Peggy: I'm sorry, but we cannot accept returns unless they are properly packaged by our trained professionals and shipped by our highly skilled freight company. We wouldn't want to have the product damaged in transit.

You: Stunned silence.....

Peggy: And I forgot to mention that we charge a $75 restocking fee. So your total is $300. After we receive the sub and determine you have not damaged it, we will credit your account for $38.46. That credit should show in about 60 days. You can use the credit on future purchases. Thank you for your business. Click.

Randy
post #10 of 1392 Old 09-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Scenario 1:
You contact them and they are the friendliest, most helpful people. So you buy the sub. Of course they talk you into getting the 12".

What you receive, 31 days later, is a cheap POS with a $7 driver, $20 Amp, and an IKEA box that weighs 14 pounds.

You don't even hook it up. You call them and a guy with an Eastern European accent answers the phone.

You: I purchased one of your subs and I want to take advantage of the 30 day, no questions asked, return policy. How does this work?

Peggy: We show you purchased this 31 days ago, so it is past the return date. Thank you for your business. Click.

Scenario 2:
You receive the sub in 7 days only to find it is a POS. Call CS and a woman that sounds like Dr. Girlfriend answers.

Peggy: I will give you an RMA and a freight call ticket for our shipper. You call them and tell them when to come pick up. There will be a $50 packing charge and the return shipping is $175.

You: You are going to charge me $225 to return the sub? I will pack it myself and use my own shipper.

Peggy: I'm sorry, but we cannot accept returns unless they are properly packaged by our trained professionals and shipped buy our highly skilled freight company. We wouldn't want to have the product damaged in transit.

Peggy: And I forgot to mention that we charge a $75 restocking fee. So your total is $300. After we receive the sub and determine you have not damaged it, we will credit your account for $38.46. That credit should show in about 60 days. You can use the credit on future purchases. Thank you for your business. Click.

I may be mistaken, but you sound pessimistic.
post #11 of 1392 Old 09-10-2010, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraxoin View Post

I may be mistaken, but you sound pessimistic.

What gave you that idea? Was it the reference to a TV commercial (Discover Card/Peggy), the not-for-children cartoon (Venture Bros./Dr. Girlfriend), the common scam (Craig's List/I'll send my shipper), or the I-made-a-big-mistake (multiple threads on this forum/MFW-15 (twice))?

Randy
post #12 of 1392 Old 09-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What gave you that idea? Was it the reference to a TV commercial (Discover Card/Peggy), the not-for-children cartoon (Venture Bros./Dr. Girlfriend), the common scam (Craig's List/I'll send my shipper), or the I-made-a-big-mistake (multiple threads on this forum/MFW-15 (twice))?

Frankly, it was the tone of your voice.
post #13 of 1392 Old 09-11-2010, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

Peggy: I'm sorry, but we cannot accept returns unless they are properly packaged by our trained professionals and shipped buy our highly skilled freight company. We wouldn't want to have the product damaged in transit.

That was funny as hell, thanks for the great laugh to start my day!!

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!!
post #14 of 1392 Old 09-11-2010, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Lava Subs or Lava Lamps, who made what?
post #15 of 1392 Old 09-11-2010, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
Your first clue that they suck is they compare their subs to Polk subs.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #16 of 1392 Old 09-11-2010, 10:00 PM

Liked: 10
Hey I am Eric with Lava Subs

I hope this was an invite to jump in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraxoin View Post

It would be interesting if they would participate here at AVSforum.

I feel a little honored to get our own thread! As for our white vans, instead of selling from them, we choose to live out of them...DOWN BY THE RIVER! (I hope you got the Chris Farley reference there.)

I have to admit, the scenarios are pretty funny (props) but we have never outsourced our customer service! We would love to hear from anyone either by our chat or our phone number. With our 30 day in home guarantee, the policy is if you don't like it, WE pay for the return shipping (I doubt you'll ever have to find that out though)! Being the manufacture, we control everything from start to finish!

Dollar for dollar we provide the best subwoofer in our price market while providing excellent customer service!

Eric
Lava Subs
post #17 of 1392 Old 09-11-2010, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Welcome to AVS, Eric.

As you have read so far, I hope you have, or can develop, a thick skin. You've already demonstrated a sense of humor. Good, you'll need that also.

We don't make or break any company, but there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum, myself excluded. They won't let you get away with any BS, especially from an OEM Rep. Choose your words and claims carefully.

I suggest you add a signature to your profile so each of your posts show your name and that you work for Lava Subs. A name alone doesn't make this clear.

Enjoy your time here. It will be good to get another budget sub to recommend. There are many that come here wanting to spend no more than a few hundred dollars. Hopefully, some members will try your products and be able to vouch for them.

Remember, you can't market here. You can ask and answer questions, but no blatant sales pitches. I also hope you become a paid member.

Randy
post #18 of 1392 Old 09-12-2010, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavasubs View Post

Hey I am Eric with Lava Subs

I hope this was an invite to jump in here.

I feel a little honored to get our own thread! As for our white vans, instead of selling from them, we choose to live out of them...DOWN BY THE RIVER! (I hope you got the Chris Farley reference there.)

I have to admit, the scenarios are pretty funny (props) but we have never outsourced our customer service! We would love to hear from anyone either by our chat or our phone number. With our 30 day in home guarantee, the policy is if you don't like it, WE pay for the return shipping (I doubt you'll ever have to find that out though)! Being the manufacture, we control everything from start to finish!

Dollar for dollar we provide the best subwoofer in our price market while providing excellent customer service!

I would suggest that you compare your subs to some of the other favorite ID brands on your website. Most of the ones you presently compare it to are real stinkeroos!

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #19 of 1392 Old 09-12-2010, 09:20 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

your first clue that they suck is they compare their subs to polk subs.

Agreed.
post #20 of 1392 Old 09-13-2010, 08:20 AM

Hey all,

I really appreciate the feedback and look forward to being an active member of the forum.

Eric
Lava Subs
post #21 of 1392 Old 09-13-2010, 09:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts View Post

Agreed.

They participate in AVS Forums so they have some class.

Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Counsil Basement HT
post #22 of 1392 Old 09-13-2010, 10:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

It will be good to get another budget sub to recommend. There are many that come here wanting to spend no more than a few hundred dollars. Hopefully, some members will try your products and be able to vouch for them.

+1

It would be nice to have something worthwhile to recommend when folks don't want to spend any more than $350.

Believe it or not, I am very interested in reading some reviews on these subs. Especially compared to say an SVS PB12-NSD.

I like it that they compare themselves to Polk, etc. None of us want to recommend those brands, but all we really have to offer are the smallest SVS and eD subs which are still out of some people's budget. The last thing we want folks to do is settle on those lesser brands.

Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Counsil Basement HT
post #23 of 1392 Old 09-13-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Lava LSP-12

Speaker Type: Powered Subwoofer
Enclosure Design: Front-firing, front-ported
Driver: 12" coated cellulose composite
Power: 250 watt internal amplifier
Frequency Range, Lowpass: 22 - 200 Hz (+/-3dB) boost: 13dB @ 40Hz
Frequency Range, LFE: 24 - 400 Hz (+/-3dB)
Sensitivity: 200mV @ 250W
Crossover: 40 - 200 Hz continuously variable low pass
Inputs: Line level RCA, speaker level
Cabinet Dimensions: 18 7/8" [479 mm] H (including feet) 13 3/4" [350 mm] W 16 3/8" [416 mm] D (including grill and amp)
Grill Material: MDF frame w/ black speaker cloth
Available Colors: Black vinyl, lightly textured
Price: $338.46

Outlaw Audio The LFM-1 Compact Subwoofer

Specifications
Driver Type: Down Firing, 10 " Long-throw Woofer
Ports: Single
Amplifier Power Rating: 225WRMS; 1000W peak
Frequency Response: 25Hz. -180Hz. +/- 2 dB
Crossover Type: Linkwitz-Reily 4th Order Low Pass Network
Crossover Frequency: 30Hz to 90Hz and Bypass
Phase: 0 to 180 Degrees
SPL: 112dB (subject to placement and room gain)
Dimensions: (HxWxD) 16.75" x 13 " x 19 "
Weight: 38 lbs
Price: $399.00

Elemental Designs A3S - 250 Subwoofer

Driver Size 10"
Driver Quantity 1
Driver Excursion 15.1mm
Total Driver Linear Displacement 528.5cm³
Room Tuning
Frequency Response (+/-3dB) 25-100Hz
Amplifier RMS Power 300W
Cabinet Type Sealed
Shipping Weight 35 lbs
Internal Size ~1.15 ft³
External Size 1.675 ft³
Width 14.25"
Height 14.25"
Depth 14.25"
Vent Size
Amplifier Voltage 115V
Included Crossover Yes
Crossover Frequencies 35-180Hz
Phase Switch Yes
Line Level Input Yes
RCA Level Input Yes
Level Control Yes
Price: $350.00

Hsu Research STF-2 Subwoofer

Amplifier Power 200 Watts
Bass extension 25 Hz, +/- 2 dB
Woofer size 10 Inches
Crossover Bypassable 24 dB/Oct, continuously variable 30 - 90 Hz low pass filter
Phase switch 0/180°
Dimensions 19”(h)/14”(w)/18”(d)
Ship-weight 44 lbs
120/240 V Capable Yes, switchable at the factory with internal jumper
Warranty 7 years on the woofer, 2 years on the electronics
Price: $349.00

On specs alone which one would you audition?? Are there any others at this price point to compare with?

Aldous Huxley
post #24 of 1392 Old 09-13-2010, 01:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

The Lava LSP-12 weighs 23lbs according to Amazon.

Counsil Basement HT
post #25 of 1392 Old 09-13-2010, 02:31 PM

The weight on the LSP12 on Amazon is actually a little off. The weight is the following for each subwoofer.

LSP08:
Shipping Weight: 30 lbs.
Actual Weight of Sub: 22.83 lbs.

LSP10:
Shipping Weight: 45 lbs.
Actual Weight of Sub:34.25 lbs.

LSP12:
Shipping Weight: 53 lbs.
Actual Weight of Sub: 45.15 lbs.

Eric
Lava Subs
post #26 of 1392 Old 09-13-2010, 03:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvictorg View Post

On specs alone which one would you audition?? Are there any others at this price point to compare with?

Well, I fell a lot better about the LSP12 now that I know it weighs 45lbs.

I need a sub for my living room (for the wife). I am going to order the LSP12 right now. I will let everyone know my thoughts very soon!

Eric,

How do your subs act near their limits? Do they exhibit high amounts of distortion and/or make mechnical noises? Or do they gracefully just stop getting any louder?

My wife doesn't listen to music or watch movies very loud at all, but I will definitely be turning it up myself to test what's under the hood! I do not expect any miracles, however. Let me make that very clear. I understand what $350 should buy me.

Counsil Basement HT
post #27 of 1392 Old 09-13-2010, 03:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

I just placed an order for one. I will let everyone know when it arrives, etc.

Counsil Basement HT
post #28 of 1392 Old 09-13-2010, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by counsil View Post

This is one review I'm REALLY looking forward to reading..

Aldous Huxley
post #29 of 1392 Old 09-13-2010, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're a brave soul. Will you review it on it's own merits or will you hold it up to the Ultras?

Worst case is you find out if Eric is truthful about their return policy. Hopefully, you won't experience Scenario #2. If you do, say hi to Peggy for me.

Randy
post #30 of 1392 Old 09-13-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:

Eric,

How do your subs act near their limits? Do they exhibit high amounts of distortion and/or make mechnical noises? Or do they gracefully just stop getting any louder?

My wife doesn't listen to music or watch movies very loud at all, but I will definitely be turning it up myself to test what's under the hood! I do not expect any miracles, however. Let me make that very clear. I understand what $350 should buy me.

We do not have any limiting on the subs but we have put these subs through the paces and we are excited for you to test it. CRANK IT UP!

Eric
Lava Subs
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Lava Subs , Lava Subs 8 Inch 100 Watt Home Theater Powered Subwoofer , Lava Subs 12 250 Watt Home Theater Powered Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page