Need a Subwoofer recomendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-21-2010, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm currently in the process of building a new HT setup.

I have already selected the receiver and front speakers - they are currently being shipped.

AVR: Onkyo TX-NR708
Speakers: Klipsch WB-14 front / bookshelf and Klipsch WC-24 Center (Icon w)
TV: Samsung UN46C6400

The room is 12x17 with a vaulted ceiling (12') and wood floors it will be a dual use room for HT and as a family room. The system will be used for both HT and Stereo listenng - split evenly.

I would like a sub that will fit the room and not be too large, but have good sound quality.

I was thinking of going with the Klipsch 8" sub xw-300D, but would like to have alternatives.

My price range is $300-$500 shipped

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizar99 View Post

I was thinking of going with the Klipsch 8" sub xw-300D, but would like to have alternatives.

The little Klipsch is going to be in over it's head in a room that size. Check with Elemental Designs and Hsu Research.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The ED A5s-300 Subwoofer seems to be a good fit. I think as long as your keep the levels in reason you will get good playback with that sub. Not sure of the shipping cost though...they're heavy
Old 09-21-2010, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Svs pb10-nsd.

I acccept all friend requests with AVS in the message. Add me!!

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian

Xbox One = The Barbeerian
Old 09-22-2010, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the recomendations.

Looking at those sites, and am focusing on sealed subs for accuracy, I am considering the folloging:

eD: A5S-300 - compact, but i have concern with its non linear behavior at med to high levels - but i do not know how to quantify this and whether it is a problem for my application, cabinet finish is so-so.

SVS: SB12-NSD - compact, pricy w/ shipping and no independent info available

Hsu: VTF-1 - good price,Bash amp,though size is a somewhat big disadvantage and it is ported (though not really a con) - seems complicated to use

Klipsch: xw-500D: compact; nice UI for comfiguration and recall of settings, BASH amp

should i be concerned with the eD non linear behavior or lack of info on SVS and is the up level Klipsch xw-500D a unit i should consider?

Thanks again
Old 09-22-2010, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by vizar99 View Post

Thanks for the recomendations.

Looking at those sites, and am focusing on sealed subs for accuracy, I am considering the folloging:

eD: A5S-300 - compact, but i have concern with its non linear behavior at med to high levels - but i do not know how to quantify this and whether it is a problem for my application, cabinet finish is so-so.

SVS: SB12-NSD - compact, pricy w/ shipping and no independent info available

Hsu: VTF-1 - good price,Bash amp,though size is a somewhat big disadvantage and it is ported (though not really a con) - seems complicated to use

Klipsch: xw-500D: compact; nice UI for comfiguration and recall of settings, BASH amp

should i be concerned with the eD non linear behavior or lack of info on SVS and is the up level Klipsch xw-500D a unit i should consider?

Thanks again

What non linear behavior are you looking at? Some sealed subs have some roll-off at lower frequencies which is compensated for by room gain. None of these subs are complicated to set-up or use. If you need help, you just call and they give you technical assistance over the phone.

The A5S-300 should do well in your space.