What is Mid Bass Range ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 10-05-2010, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
what HZ range is considered as mid bass range ? What kind of sound effects / music falls into mid-bass range ?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-05-2010, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I think it is ~ 50hz to 250hz or so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old 10-05-2010, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

If it is 50 hz - 250 hz....Epik Empire is known for its mid bass slam....It means it does really good from 50 - 80 hz...as we do croosover @ 80hz. But majority of the mivie effects are below 50 HZ right..? If so, how does Empire be good for HT applications ?
post #4 of 20 Old 10-05-2010, 08:13 PM

Liked: 11
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=799936

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/mbm-12mk2.html

MBM-12 MK2 Mid-bass Module

One exhibitor, Hsu Research, had a setup that literally stunned me. In the back of the room where I was sitting, right behind my chair, was one of his new designs, called the MBM-12 Mid-Bass Module, that only reproduces the range from 50 to 150 Hz. He had it set for the range of 50 to 80 Hz. Since it is close to the sitting position, it does not have to be turned up very loud, although it has a 350 watt amplifier. The driver is lightweight, so it responds very quickly. The gunfight scene from Open Range was used for the demo, and the gunshots, because of that special woofer (of course, he had his regular subwoofers in there too, for the really low frequencies), sounded as close to real as I have ever heard in a home theater room. The effect stuck with me all afternoon. Anyway, if you ever have the chance to hear this demo at a local home theater show, be sure to sit in on it. Absolutely unbelievable! "
Dr. John Johnson, Secrets of Home Theater and Hi Fidelity

Maybe this world is another planet's hell.
Aldous Huxley
post #5 of 20 Old 10-05-2010, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvictorg View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=799936

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/mbm-12mk2.html

MBM-12 MK2 Mid-bass Module

One exhibitor, Hsu Research, had a setup that literally stunned me. In the back of the room where I was sitting, right behind my chair, was one of his new designs, called the MBM-12 Mid-Bass Module, that only reproduces the range from 50 to 150 Hz. He had it set for the range of 50 to 80 Hz. Since it is close to the sitting position, it does not have to be turned up very loud, although it has a 350 watt amplifier. The driver is lightweight, so it responds very quickly. The gunfight scene from Open Range was used for the demo, and the gunshots, because of that special woofer (of course, he had his regular subwoofers in there too, for the really low frequencies), sounded as close to real as I have ever heard in a home theater room. The effect stuck with me all afternoon. Anyway, if you ever have the chance to hear this demo at a local home theater show, be sure to sit in on it. Absolutely unbelievable! "
Dr. John Johnson, Secrets of Home Theater and Hi Fidelity

Dude, old post and I had dual of the MBM with dual 3.3's a few years back. I have since moved on and have tried many subs and ended up with Quad Empires for some fantastic SQ. The MBM's cover the 50 to 80 hz range and mid bass is 40 to 80 hz or so.

Dual Submersive HP's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New HT Room -  

post #6 of 20 Old 10-06-2010, 12:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 163
IMO, the most 'punch you in the gut' mid-bass comes from about 45 to 65hz.

Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...

post #7 of 20 Old 10-06-2010, 01:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

Dude, old post and I had dual of the MBM with dual 3.3's a few years back. I have since moved on and have tried many subs and ended up with Quad Empires for some fantastic SQ. The MBM's cover the 50 to 80 hz range and mid bass is 40 to 80 hz or so.

I have 2 epik towers. how would i set up a MBM? would i be better off with a epik legend?
post #8 of 20 Old 10-06-2010, 01:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 1025
it's not just frequency response related. more research is required...

Listen. It's All Good.
post #9 of 20 Old 10-06-2010, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Mid-bass used to be defined as 100 to 300 Hz, from just above where it crosses over from "sound" to "feel" for many people to just below the lower range of the average human voice. The range includes overtones from drum strikes, kettle drums, piano, guitar, low strings, etc. Not sure about effects.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #10 of 20 Old 10-06-2010, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

This is a niffty item to use for tweaking your system http://www.independentrecording.net/...in_display.htm.

Dual Submersive HP's

New HT Room -  

post #11 of 20 Old 10-06-2010, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord260 View Post

I have 2 epik towers. how would i set up a MBM? would i be better off with a epik legend?

Your towers should be giving you everything you need?

Dual Submersive HP's

New HT Room -  

post #12 of 20 Old 10-06-2010, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raks View Post

what HZ range is considered as mid bass range ? What kind of sound effects / music falls into mid-bass range ?

Thanks

Mid bass is 50 to 100 Hz.

LL
LL
post #13 of 20 Old 10-06-2010, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

thats some great info. i've always wondered why many report crazy midbass while others don't (using the same sub). im wondering if the crossover setting is the reason for this. for example, currently in my setup im using klipsch kl-650 thx lcr's. audyssey tuning always sets the crossover to 40hz for these speakers. i get some midbass kick, but nothing that hits you hard in the chest. my sub is an svs pb12 plus that i know is capable of some hard hitting bass. so, im wondering ifs really the crossover setting that determines how much kick you get. for me, it seems that my lcr's are responsible for all midbass and could be a reason why i don't feel it in my chest. if i change my crossover setting to 100hz or even 120hz, im wondering if i'll gain that midbass kick that everyone talks about. any opinions?

Dedicated Theater Construction Thread

Home Automation Construction Thread

post #14 of 20 Old 10-06-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

thats some great info. i've always wondered why many report crazy midbass while others don't (using the same sub). im wondering if the crossover setting is the reason for this. for example, currently in my setup im using klipsch kl-650 thx lcr's. audyssey tuning always sets the crossover to 40hz for these speakers. i get some midbass kick, but nothing that hits you hard in the chest. my sub is an svs pb12 plus that i know is capable of some hard hitting bass. so, im wondering ifs really the crossover setting that determines how much kick you get. for me, it seems that my lcr's are responsible for all midbass and could be a reason why i don't feel it in my chest. if i change my crossover setting to 100hz or even 120hz, im wondering if i'll gain that midbass kick that everyone talks about. any opinions?

I would definitely turn the cross over setting up. Audyssey themselves recommend you do that in most cases as the crossover setting is usually set by the receiver manufacturer.

I've experimented going up to 120hz and it seems okay, but I have two subs set up so it's not as localizable as perhaps it otherwise would be. My main reason for doing so was that with my crossover set at the customary 80 I seem to have a pretty big dip around 60hz or so(to the tune of about 15db). If I moved it up to 120hz the dip moved to about 100hz but was only 7db or so.
post #15 of 20 Old 10-06-2010, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

interesting. i just spend a couple hours comparing various scenes and toggling between 40hz and 100-120hz. i "think" i preferred the 40hz setting. it was definitely to close to call, but i was expecting more slam with the 120hz crossover. in any case, im wondering if the age old saying "no replacement for displacement" is what will give me that punch in your chest feeling.

Dedicated Theater Construction Thread

Home Automation Construction Thread

post #16 of 20 Old 10-06-2010, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

Your towers should be giving you everything you need?

Like you it never ends. I am running the antimode over MultEQ XT in a treated room. always i want more, can you relate?
post #17 of 20 Old 10-06-2010, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

sorry to double post.
i am thinking of trying the lifting feature on the antimode. Any insite?
post #18 of 20 Old 10-06-2010, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Like you it never ends. I am running the antimode over MultEQ XT in a treated room. always i want more, can you relate?

???? you have the Anti Mode for the sub(s) and MultEQ XT for the speakers correct????

I'm running Audyssey Sub EQ for the Empires and boy, are they flat. No curve whatsoever! Gives out a nice SQ though! I will admit, I do miss the slam at times. Too bad I can't figure out how to use the Anti Mode with the Sub EQ, then I would have both.

Dual Submersive HP's

New HT Room -  

post #19 of 20 Old 10-06-2010, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

sorry to double post.
i am thinking of trying the lifting feature on the antimode. Any insite?

I tried it and it was too much. The Anti Mode does nice without the lift.

Dual Submersive HP's

New HT Room -  

post #20 of 20 Old 10-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I bought a pair of DefTech BP7001 a few years back and cross them at 40hz (when set to large the built in "subs" became too bloated sounding) so I set them to small and crossed at 40hz and all was good in my world, but then slowly I noticed that my center (DT LCR2002) wasn't keeping up with the mid bass slam that my mains had. So on a lark I hooked up a Deftech Prosub 1000 which can achieve loud bass from 37-80hz using speaker wire connections. So I hooked that sub to my center and set to small and crossed at 40hz. So from 40-80Hz my sub center gets great mid bass slam and above 80hz gets sent to the center anything below goes to my SVS sub.

My SVS sub handles everything below 40hz, so now instead of my SVS having to handle 40-80hz it has more power to handle just the real low end and I get fantastic mid bass slam from the Prosub and my SVS gives me just the super low end. It worked so well that i hooked up another DefTech prosub to my rear channel speakers and placed directly behind the main listening position. I have an awkward room and with the dual Prosubs and the SVS, bass is very smooth, very tight, loud and very room filling.

I contacted Chet at Deftech and explained my idea and he said that my solution would most likely rival their top of the line LCR3000 with my mid range drivers having their own larger cabinet (while the LCR3000 only has a grand total of 7" of cabinet space, the rest of the cabinet is dedicated to it's internal subwoofer) and my Prosub which has a much larger enclosure a larger amp and a passive radiator will sound tighter and achieve higher sound levels than the built in sub in the LCR3000 at half the cost of the LCR3000

I found adding two mid bass subs helped tremendously in my room, YRMV.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page