I'm new to the subs world, and trying to understand what is available.
I'm looking for something to compliment my LCR speakers for home theatre, which will all be 100W in-wall speakers that play down to 80Hz. I will never crank my stereo up to reference level, most of my viewing is with my volume between -19dB and -30dB (this is where the WAF kicks in for me). With that in mind, I think it's tough to justify big money for an awesome sub that will never be played loud.
I have a huge room (~8k cf) that the sub will fit in, but I've become to realize that to drive a room that size at a high level, I will need to spend a lot more than I can afford. Maybe one day when the kids are out of the house I'll be able to turn a bedroom into a home theatre room (and will be able to crank it as loud as I'd like to) but that day is a long ways off.
so my requirements are:
1. budget: let's shoot for $350. I can go more, but I have to be convinced it will be worth it.
2. size/form factor: I don't really care.
3. room dimensions: family room that opens into eat in kitchen and is open to the second floor. I'm estimating 8k cf.
4. primary usage: 90 HT/10 music
Here's what I've gathered so far - I'd like to hear recommendations on these, but please feel free to toss out others:
(note: cost is delivered)
- emotiva Ultra10 ($289): 200W, 10", sealed, 25-200Hz
- Elemental Design A3S-250 ($350): 300W, 10", sealed, 25-100Hz
- Lava LSP12: ($338.46): 250W, 12", ported, 22-200Hz
- Hsu Research STF-2 ($388): 200W, 10", sealed, 25- Hz
- BIC F12 ($170) 150W, 12", ported, 25-200Hz
- BIC PL-200 ($270): 250W, 12", ported, 22-200Hz