Two Subs...Gain Matching vs Level Matching - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-05-2015, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 198
^^

I was afraid you might say that, the 2 subs I am building are the only speakers I will have that exceed the size and weight of the K-horns I have! Moving them about will not be much of an option.

I am building a screen wall at the front of a 21x16 room, the DTS-10's will fit behind the wall/2.40:1 AT screen between the L-C-R towers that are also behind the screen. Due to other constraints the only location might be at the rear of the theatre, but that will take up space that would compress the seating position quite a bit and interfere with the rear surrounds.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen_wall_with_DTS-10's.png
Views:	185
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	529145  

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2015, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Make some sub risers with wheels. It makes moving my large sub a breeze. You can take the subs off once in the final location. I leave the subs on the risers.
ahblaza likes this.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2064 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post
^^

I was afraid you might say that, the 2 subs I am building are the only speakers I will have that exceed the size and weight of the K-horns I have! Moving them about will not be much of an option.

I am building a screen wall at the front of a 21x16 room, the DTS-10's will fit behind the wall/2.40:1 AT screen between the L-C-R towers that are also behind the screen. Due to other constraints the only location might be at the rear of the theatre, but that will take up space that would compress the seating position quite a bit and interfere with the rear surrounds.

Well, if it's any consolation, a buddy of mine has a room that is almost the exact same dimensions and we found that front corner placement of his duals provided the best response (although he sacrificed a bit in seat-to-seat variance)...you may be just fine with those monsters up front.

In the future, you could always put another smaller sub in back solely to smooth the response.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Well, if it's any consolation, a buddy of mine has a room that is almost the exact same dimensions and we found that front corner placement of his duals provided the best response (although he sacrificed a bit in seat-to-seat variance)...you may be just fine with those monsters up front.

In the future, you could always put another smaller sub in back solely to smooth the response.

Thanks that makes me feel more confident that it won't be a complete fiasco!

I will have to take a tape measure out and check but there might be a possibility that the DTS-10's could fit positioned to the outside of the L-R speakers since the mouth of the horn can be positioned a few different ways.

This construction picture shows a couple of the options for the mount (only one port open in operation), as you can see if they will fit I could put the mouth right in the front left/right corners.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3504.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	529977  

Al
Old 02-06-2015, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2064 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Have you downloaded REW and got yourself a USB mic?

You're gonna need it.

BTW - very jealous of those subs.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I have REW and a EMM-6 from Dayton Audio with an Icicle USB adapter in preparation for all of this.

As for those subs, thanks, but I still need to build them (that was a pic from the forum), same with the room, now that my kitchen is done the wife gave the nod to the HT.

Years ago I built (and still have) a pair of SpeakerLab K's they are pretty much exact replicas of the Klipschorns, even ran a home built center that used the same components as the top horn but now with Atmos begging to be experienced I have gathered a whole new set of speakers, all Klipsch except for the subs to build the HT back up from scratch. So I have a lot of work ahead of me yet!

Al
Old 02-07-2015, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
If you are not getting a gain of ~6db when you add the second sub, you've got phase issues.
I decided to just go with the single ES250P instead of running it along side my SUB12. It just never sounded right no matter what I did. I think I had a phase issue and switching either sub to 180 never gave me a balanced result. It actually sounds good and smooth now running the single. Guess I'll have to pick me up another 250 if I really want to run dual subs in the future.

Quote:
It's strange that your subs calibrate closer though....usually (because of the extra delay introduced by the sub's electronics) the calibrated distance will be further than the actual.
Funny you mention that. Running the single sub now calibrates to 10 ft compared to 6.3. I also just replaced my Venue Voice with a S-Center II. I've got to say, my system has never sounded better.

Tags
Outlaw Audio Lfm 1 Ex