Funky Waves Audio - Official Thread (Prebuilt and Custom Subs) - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-12-2012, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Thanks, very impressive. I'm guessing the output would be similar to a JTR Sealed Cap 2?

In some ranges they may be similar. But whenever you are comparing sealed to ported/passive radiator, you have to accept and consider that each will have their advantages. A sealed unit can have usable output(depending on room size and acoustics, and of course the subwoofer. Many sealed subwoofers still have a high pass in the 15-20hz range) below ~13/14 hz where the 18.3 drops like a rock below that, however the 18.3 will have the output of 2-3 equal sealed 18" drivers in the 14~35hz range.
Nuance and Mike_WI like this.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Waves View Post

In some ranges they may be similar. But whenever you are comparing sealed to ported/passive radiator, you have to accept and consider that each will have their advantages. A sealed unit can have usable output(depending on room size and acoustics, and of course the subwoofer. Many sealed subwoofers still have a high pass in the 15-20hz range) below ~13/14 hz where the 18.3 drops like a rock below that, however the 18.3 will have the output of 2-3 equal sealed 18" drivers in the 14~35hz range.

So awesome!

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Old 07-15-2012, 03:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

So awesome!

a MONSTER is coming from Nathan >.>

Seriously...

Its small and is similar to the 18.0 in size but performs like 2x 18.3s. =D

Hey Naunce.

I think its a perfect time to to start a....
.....journey to find the "perfect" sub...

biggrin.gif

Oh, and also, the speakers sound very good wink.gif

C2K

Equipment List: Preamp/Processor: Sherbourn PT-7030 [] Speakers: Funk Audio - Line Array(2kW),18.2 Subwoofer (9.6kW)[]Projector: Epson 5020ub []Screen: Elunevision Reference 150"
PC/HTPC: Intel Q6600 [] GTX670 [] 4 GB Ram [] Windows 8.1 x64
Cabling: Interconnects: HDMI - Redmere Cable 50 ft
Audio Cable: XLR - From Orange County Speaker - 50ft
Old 08-18-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

They are ready.
525x525px-LL-b0e2717c_vbattach189416.jpeg
525x525px-LL-d45286b4_vbattach189417.jpeg

Hi Nathan,

Will your 2ch 800w each amp (Xpro 2?) be similairly housed in a ALU casing like the amp shown above?

You'll rarely hear anyone say, "I wish I'd gotten less Sub."

$ubwoofer$ and premium mango tree cultivar$

Old 08-19-2012, 08:02 AM

It will look identical to the 2.4Kw amp; http://www.funkaudio.ca/Amplifiers_files/_MG_0515.jpg

All the features are the same, the only differences are that it has two channels at 800watts/ea instead of one channel at 2400watts.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
Old 08-19-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Sweet biggrin.gif

Thanks Nathan.

Rob.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Nathan!

Did you give my recommendation to let Data-Bass (http://www.data-bass.com) evaluate some of your premium offers a thought? I am thinking the 2012 18.3 (I really like mine) and 18.0 would be great choices. Or simply let the TSAD 18" driver on its own go head to head with the others tested by Data-Bass.

In my opinion such an objective test by a neutral, trusted third party would significantly increase the confidence in your products. Before I made my decision (and really up to this very day I often think "what if...") I know I had a very hard time choosing your TSAD driver over well known options like the LMS 5400. I am convinced that real empirical data benchmarked against other premium options would peak the interest in your products.

What do you think?
Old 08-26-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLion View Post

Hi Nathan!
Did you give my recommendation to let Data-Bass (http://www.data-bass.com) evaluate some of your premium offers a thought? I am thinking the 2012 18.3 (I really like mine) and 18.0 would be great choices. Or simply let the TSAD 18" driver on its own go head to head with the others tested by Data-Bass.
In my opinion such an objective test by a neutral, trusted third party would significantly increase the confidence in your products. Before I made my decision (and really up to this very day I often think "what if...") I know I had a very hard time choosing your TSAD driver over well known options like the LMS 5400. I am convinced that real empirical data benchmarked against other premium options would peak the interest in your products.
What do you think?

Yes we have been looking into this for some time, and are going to push forward with something soon. However it will likely not be the 18.3 or 18.0 that we send in for review, at least not the first thing(s), but we will see.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
Old 08-27-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes we have been looking into this for some time, and are going to push forward with something soon. However it will likely not be the 18.3 or 18.0 that we send in for review, at least not the first thing(s), but we will see.

Great! Please make sure to have your TSAD 18" driver reviewed. That would give confidence and a good idea of the performance for all solutions based on it (18.3, 18.0) and will make shipping to Data-Bass so much easier ;-) Thank you!
Old 09-01-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLion View Post

Great! Please make sure to have your TSAD 18" driver reviewed. That would give confidence and a good idea of the performance for all solutions based on it (18.3, 18.0) and will make shipping to Data-Bass so much easier ;-) Thank you!

We will see, nothings set in stone yet.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
Old 09-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Nathan was kind enough to provide a shot of my 18.0 which is under construction:

Brindle Bamboo finish. I'll be going with the TSAD18v1 driver. I'm really looking forward to this one!
Mike_WI likes this.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Dayummmmmm...thats gonna be........damn. eek.gif

Old 09-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Hope so! biggrin.gif
Old 09-26-2012, 01:23 PM

"TheLion" and "henrich3" you may be interested to know we just did some ground plane output testing on some of our subs,

The 18.0 Ground plane at 2m, produced the following peak output numbers;

10hz 95.9db
12.5hz 102.3db
16hz 106.6db
20hz 111.2db
25hz 113.8db
32hz 115.6db
40hz 120.0db
50hz 123.5db
63hz 125.9db
80hz 124.4db
100hz 124.1db
125hz 124.4db

The 18.3 produced

10hz 95.8db
12.5hz 101.2db
16hz 108.2db
20hz 114.2db
25hz 115.9db
32hz 121.2db
40hz 121.4db
50hz 122.7db
63hz 123.1db
80hz 123.3db
100hz 123.2db
125hz 123.7db

As you can see on average the 18.3 has roughly the output of two 18.0's(+~3db) ~16hz~35hz(and it has lower distortion in this range as well)

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
Old 09-26-2012, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

tab2z.jpg

Impressive! Especially on the deep end of the spectrum.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

Funk Audio 18.0 Review

Description:
Funk Audio Model 18.0, TSAD 18 driver, 2400 Watt DSP amp, Brindle Bamboo finish

Setup:
My HT (aka “the family room”) is 15’ x 20’, but has a vaulted ceiling & one end is open to the rest of the house. I decided that the best way to improve the low end in this tough room was to throw more subs at the problem. The 18.0 joins a Velodyne HGS-15 and a Funk Audio 15.0 x2. The mains & surrounds are Paradigm S8’s and the center is a Paradigm C5. They’re driven by a Denon AVR-5308 receiver that’s been upgraded with Audyssey’s MultEQ XT32. The mains are set to small in the receiver and the crossovers are set to 80 Hz.

Measurements:
The following chart was taken from the listening postion with Audyssey enabled:

The DSP amp in this sub includes the ability to adjust the frequency response if desired. No DSP adjustments were made prior to the measurement shown above however.

Listening:
After placement, Audyssey setup, and my post-Audyssey tweaks, I played some good LFE-heavy music tracks. I started with Joe Satriani’s Starry Night on SACD Surround. The kick drum and bass guitar had impressive power and just sounded wonderful. The best I’ve ever heard. Tracks from several other albums also put a smile on my face. I then fired up my projector and played some tracks from a few Blu-ray concert videos: Pretenders - Loose in L.A., David Gilmour - Live at the Royal Albert Hall, and AC/DC - Live at Donnington. The low end in every case was palpable. My couch resonated with the kick drums & bass guitars. Bass had a clarity that was noticeably better than what I’m used to hearing.

I shifted to movies, starting with War of the Worlds. The earthquake as the alien craft emerges from the ground and then incinerates everything in it's path was very impressive. The Funk shined with the heavy LFE in Star Trek (2009) whenever the warp drive was engaged, on shuttle craft landings, and the numerous explosions. (Apparently you can hear explosions in the vacuum of space...)

The 18.0 puts out significantly higher SPL levels than my other Funk sub at a given gain setting in the receiver. The 18.0 benefits from some boundary gain in the fireplace location. The higher efficiency of the TSAD 18 driver versus the dual LMSR-15’s deserves most of the credit for the higher SPL’s however. I’m able to get powerful low end in my tough room running the 18.0 solo and leaving both of the other subs powered off. The excursion of the TSAD driver seems small even when it’s cranking out high SPL’s so I seriously doubt I will ever over-drive this beast.

Integration issue:
OmniMic shows the response curve of the 18.0 at my listening position as being respectably flat, but there are significant dropouts at 17, 37, and 70 Hz when I power up all three subs. The dropouts weren’t there when the two other subs played without the 18.0. I haven’t resolved this yet. I’ll need to spend a little time working the issue next weekend. If I can’t get all three to play well together one of the other subs may need to find a new home. The 18.0 isn’t going anywhere...

Conclusion:
When I think of the 9 weeks it took from order placement until the 18.0 arrived on my door step, I’m reminded of the saying “Good things come to those who wait”. The 18.0 is a very good thing indeed. The bamboo finish is impeccable. The carbon-fiber driver looks & sounds like a million bucks. The curves give it a little extra eye appeal. It’s tough to know in advance whether ordering a custom sub is going to be worth the time and expense. If I had the opportunity to do it over again however, I wouldn’t change a thing... smile.gif

Edit 11/25 - Replaced close mic chart with one from the MLP.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTBigman View Post

tab2z.jpg
Impressive! Especially on the deep end of the spectrum.

Please don't directly compare Nate's results to AH or Data-Bass measurements I have taken. I suspect there are some differences in how they are taken. Thanks! biggrin.gif

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...
Old 09-27-2012, 09:18 AM

This is always true when comparing measurements taken by different people at different times, places and with different equipment. I do feel our numbers are accurate as are Josh's but one must always remember there very well may be some differences, but the comparisons should at least get you in the "ballpark". FYI we are working on getting some tests done by audioholics/Josh as soon as possible.
its phillip likes this.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
Old 09-27-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Not saying I don't have confidence in you Nate but you know how it is...cool.gif I'll be in touch.

Beautiful sub in post #286 BTW. Love that finish.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:53 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3 View Post

Funk Audio 18.0 Review

Description:
Funk Audio Model 18.0, TSAD 18 driver, 2400 Watt DSP amp, Brindle Bamboo finish
Setup:
My HT (aka “the family room”) is 15’ x 20’, but has a vaulted ceiling & one end is open to the rest of the house. I decided that the best way to improve the low end in this tough room was just to throw more subs at the problem. The 18.0 joins a Velodyne HGS-15 and a Funk Audio 15.0 x2. The mains & surrounds are Paradigm S8’s and the center is a Paradigm C5. They’re driven by a Denon AVR-5308 receiver that’s been upgraded with Audyssey’s MultEQ XT32. The mains are set to small in the receiver and the crossovers are set to 80 Hz.
Measurements:
The following chart is a close mic measurement taken 6” from the center of the TSAD 18” driver with no EQ engaged. (The drop above 80 Hz is due to the crossover.):

Readings from the listening position with Audyssey enabled are similar to the chart above but with a slightly flatter response curve. The DSP amp in this sub gives one the ability to tweak the response as desired. I’ll probably try a slight lift to the low end at some point, but haven’t had the time to play with it yet.
Listening:
After placement, Audyssey setup, and my post-Audyssey tweaks, I played some good LFE-heavy music tracks. I started with Joe Satriani’s Starry Night on SACD Surround. The kick drum and bass guitar had impressive power and just sounded wonderful. The best I’ve ever heard. Tracks from several other albums also put a smile on my face. I then fired up my projector and played some tracks from a few Blu-ray concert videos: Pretenders - Loose in L.A., David Gilmour - Live at the Royal Albert Hall, and AC/DC - Live at Donnington. The low end in every case was palpable. My couch resonated with the kick drums & bass guitars. Bass had a clarity that was noticeably better than what I’m used to hearing.
I shifted to movies, starting with War of the Worlds. The earthquake as the alien craft emerges from the ground and then incinerates everything in it's path was very impressive. The Funk shined with the heavy LFE in Star Trek (2009) whenever the warp drive was engaged, on shuttle craft landings, and the numerous explosions. (Apparently you can hear explosions in the vacuum of space..)
The 18.0 puts out significantly higher SPL levels than my other Funk sub at a given gain setting in the receiver. The 18.0 probably benefits from boundary gain in it’s firplace location. I suspect the higher efficiency of the TSAD 18 driver versus the dual LMSR-15’s should get most of the credit for the higher SPL’s however. In any case, I’m able to get powerful low end in my tough room running the 18.0 solo and leaving both of the other subs powered off. The excursion of the TSAD driver seems small even when it’s cranking out high SPL’s, so I seriously doubt I will ever over-drive this beast.
Integration issue:
OmniMic shows the response curve of the 18.0 at my listening position as being respectably flat, but there are significant dropouts at 17, 37, and 70 Hz when I power up all three subs. The dropouts weren’t there when the two other subs played without the 18.0. I haven’t resolved this yet. I’ll need to spend a little time working the issue next weekend. If I can’t get all three to play well together one of the other subs may need to find a new home. The 18.0 isn’t going anywhere...
Conclusion:
When I think of the 9 weeks it took from order placement until the 18.0 arrived on my door step, I’m reminded of the saying “Good things come to those who wait”. The 18.0 is a very good thing indeed. The bamboo finish is impeccable. The carbon-fiber driver looks & sounds like a million bucks. The curves give it a little extra eye appeal. It’s tough to know in advance whether ordering a custom sub is going to be worth the time and expense. If I had the opportunity to do it over again however, I wouldn’t change a thing... smile.gif

Nice Review,

my advice, sell older subs and get second Model 18.0 with TSAD 18 driver and your quest for subwoofers is over smile.gif
Old 09-27-2012, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Please don't directly compare Nate's results to AH or Data-Bass measurements I have taken. I suspect there are some differences in how they are taken. Thanks! biggrin.gif

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

I worked with Nathan for over a week setting up very exhaustive testing of all his products. I am in the process of writing up the specifications for most of his enclosures.

As for test conditions:

Ground plane, two meters, dual differential microphones. Mics are calibrated. System used is the Smith and Larson WooferTesterPro, one of the most comprehensive test systems available.

Signals used were single sine wave point by point measurements for the highest possible resolution. Closest possible reflections were well over 30 feet away. So the numbers will correspond to anechoic measurements. The fullrange speakers were tested above the ground off of a platform to allow full anechoic testing to 230 hertz. Below that we use close mic methods.

We kept the levels at a minimum of 90db @ 2 meters to keep spurious noise levels out of the measurement window.

I hope this is what you do Josh. If it is, then we do indeed have comparable measurements.

For peak output testing we went just a little bit louder!

We powered each device under test with either Nathan's amplifiers or an IPAL module for peak output.

The IPAL module is a very interesting piece of kit. For the mathematicians among you guys we peaked out a 158.9 volts into .6 ohms.

Yes that is a heck of a lot of power, AES tone bursts were used to generate peak output levels. Of greatest interest is that most of the subs are power limited in their passband above 32 hertz. Not excursion limited.

I'll help out with the math.

158.9 * 158.9 = 25249.21 / 0.6 = 42082 watts peak power output.

Scary man, just plain scary.

I had the joyous privilege of sitting within a foot of the dual 18 minding the amps measuring the voltage and making sure there was no over excursion.

Ear plugs, ear muffs and still bloody loud!

Mark

Consultant and Designer

Kravchenko-Audio

Mark Kravchenko

Consultant and Designer

www.kravchenko-audio.com

Old 09-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZivkoF View Post

my advice, sell older subs and get second Model 18.0 with TSAD 18 driver and your quest for subwoofers is over smile.gif

The other Funk & the Velo are both fine subs. I don't think that either is up to what the TSAD 18.0 puts out however. I don't have much flexibility to move them around which is probably what needs to happen. We'll see this weekend. Worst case, I may just take your advice...
Old 09-27-2012, 11:29 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3 View Post

The other Funk & the Velo are both fine subs. I don't think that either is up to what the TSAD 18.0 puts out however. I don't have much flexibility to move them around which is probably what needs to happen. We'll see this weekend. Worst case, I may just take your advice...

Hi henrich3,

yes it is very easy to inegrate the two inentical subs to play the best in the room, even if they are not stacked you can have them co-located in the room and get gain +6dB with second one and the numbers for 2m are just great for one and for the second one you add +6dB and that is outside, inside you can count also for insane room gain smile.gif and you have two winners.

The 18.0 Ground plane at 2m, produced the following peak output numbers;

10hz 95.9db
12.5hz 102.3db
16hz 106.6db
20hz 111.2db
25hz 113.8db
32hz 115.6db
40hz 120.0db
50hz 123.5db
63hz 125.9db
80hz 124.4db
100hz 124.1db
125hz 124.4db
Old 09-28-2012, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mark pm me your email address.smile.gif
Old 09-28-2012, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Done.

Mark Kravchenko

Consultant and Designer

www.kravchenko-audio.com

Old 10-03-2012, 11:38 AM

The product pages for all our new products are now up. Also lots of new pictures and info.
Billy p likes this.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
Old 10-03-2012, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Nice update to the website, Nathan! That Brindle Bamboo model on the 18.0 Images page looks particularly sweet. smile.gif

http://www.funkaudio.ca/18.0_Images.html

I'm still enjoying my TSAD 18.0. I'm still amazed that it can outperform my other two subs combined. Regarding the integration issue mentioned in my last post, it seems I only have the nulls when the Velodyne is running with the 18.0. The dual LMSR-15 sub is significantly less efficient than the 18.0 (~ 15 dB less) so it's not helping much either. Running the 18.0 solo still provides the best SQ in my room from the limited testing I've done. Assuming my back is up to the task next weekend, I'll try moving the subs around to find better placements. I may be able to squeeze the dual 15 into the corner on the other side of the room. If corner-loading doesn't help I may hit you up for a matching 18.0 after I find a taker for the other two...

Cheers!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:55 AM

Liked: 13
Nice update to the Funk Audio website.

I already have 2 x 8.2P and 1 x 5.4P as a centre channel on pre-order. biggrin.gif

I will be updating the thread with pictures of the speakers as Nathan sends them to me and of course a review the finished product.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
The website is starting to shape up nicely. The photos are looking good.

I do want to point out an error, however, in the description of the ported 18.1 sub:

Features

• 18" High excursion driver

Curved sided sealed enclosure

• Funk Audio 800 watts RMS amplifier

• Baltic birch ply construction

• 1.5" thick baffle

• Comes with rubber feet or carpet spikes

20" wide 20" high 18.5" deep

Obviously, this in not a curved sided sealed enclosure and the dimensions seem incorrect.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:42 PM

All fixed. Thanks for pointing that out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

The website is starting to shape up nicely. The photos are looking good.
I do want to point out an error, however, in the description of the ported 18.1 sub:
Features
• 18" High excursion driver
Curved sided sealed enclosure
• Funk Audio 800 watts RMS amplifier
• Baltic birch ply construction
• 1.5" thick baffle
• Comes with rubber feet or carpet spikes
20" wide 20" high 18.5" deep
Obviously, this in not a curved sided sealed enclosure and the dimensions seem incorrect.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio