Funky Waves Audio - Official Thread (Prebuilt and Custom Subs) - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #361 of 766 Old 12-26-2012, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 40
FYI, we will be reasonable with regards the price increase, anyone who contacts us about a purchase before Jan 1st, and places an order as soon as the details are worked out will have an opportunity to get the current prices.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 766 Old 12-26-2012, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
the whole review thing is a battle not easily won.

yes, this is my tutu, and yes, funerals are appropriate places to wear them... now hand me my scepter
post #363 of 766 Old 01-01-2013, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Has anyone had an opportunity to review the "Bring On The Funk" audio sale for January 2013?

I am interested in obtaining more information regarding the custom subwoofer being offered with these specifications:

Description:
Only ONE available
Custom Design as per customer order
Sealed, Passive Radiator or Ported design

Specifications
Amplifier: 0.8kW X1 M1
Driver: NS18
Passives: PHSAD18v1 (in optional design)

Options
Contact us for additional options

Price Starts at
$1900 Shipped within North America
You save $550

Is anyone familiar with the NS18 driver, which is not listed under the drivers section of Funk Audio's web site? The description says the custom subwoofer is a "Sealed, Passive Radiator or Ported design." Does this mean the subwoofer can be customized to either a sealed or ported (active or passive) design with or without an amplifier? Can the speaker be customized to include both active/passive drivers with an amplifier? Obviously I am somewhat confused.

I am trying to replace an Aperion Bravus 12D subwoofer where its amplifier failed during 2012 and would prefer a custom cherry finish that hopefully provides a close match to my existing Aperion Audio Intimus 6T-DB Hybrid XD 7.1 Speaker System.

The image shown on the Funk Audio web site appears to be similar to a sealed 18.0 subwoofer w/cherry finish. I am also in discussions with an Aperion Audio technical representative regarding their newly offered custom finish program for the Bravus II 12D powered subwoofer, which has an approximate cost of $1299.

I am also interested in a custom finished Funk Audio 15.0 subwoofer.

Your thoughts/input are greatly appreciated, thanks.
post #364 of 766 Old 01-01-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The NS18 is a 18" sub made by Aurasound and is well regarded as one of the best drivers around. You should contact Nathan direct for further info.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #365 of 766 Old 01-01-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9179mhb View Post

Has anyone had an opportunity to review the "Bring On The Funk" audio sale for January 2013?
I am interested in obtaining more information regarding the custom subwoofer being offered with these specifications:
Description:
Only ONE available
Custom Design as per customer order
Sealed, Passive Radiator or Ported design

Specifications
Amplifier: 0.8kW X1 M1
Driver: NS18
Passives: PHSAD18v1 (in optional design)
Options
Contact us for additional options
Price Starts at
$1900 Shipped within North America
You save $550

Is anyone familiar with the NS18 driver, which is not listed under the drivers section of Funk Audio's web site? The description says the custom subwoofer is a "Sealed, Passive Radiator or Ported design." Does this mean the subwoofer can be customized to either a sealed or ported (active or passive) design with or without an amplifier? Can the speaker be customized to include both active/passive drivers with an amplifier? Obviously I am somewhat confused.
I am trying to replace an Aperion Bravus 12D subwoofer where its amplifier failed during 2012 and would prefer a custom cherry finish that hopefully provides a close match to my existing Aperion Audio Intimus 6T-DB Hybrid XD 7.1 Speaker System.
The image shown on the Funk Audio web site appears to be similar to a sealed 18.0 subwoofer w/cherry finish. I am also in discussions with an Aperion Audio technical representative regarding their newly offered custom finish program for the Bravus II 12D powered subwoofer, which has an approximate cost of $1299.
I am also interested in a custom finished Funk Audio 15.0 subwoofer.
Your thoughts/input are greatly appreciated, thanks.

Hi.
The NS18 is made by Aurasound, and you can read the specs here: http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-18-subwoofers/aurasound-ns18-992-4a-18-subwoofer-returning-feb-2012/

Your question about passive radiators...... answer, yes. And is sounds like you can specify the configuration and shape, when Nathan says custom, nothing is off the table.

Finish: I know that if you send good pictures and all the data on your speakers (make, model, year, finish color, etc), they will do everything they can to match.

FYI, that is a killer deal considering that the driver is $900 ish, however I like the TSAD better (personal preference). But, this driver in a FA passive configuration or a ported configuration will annihilate your 12D. FA is all about ultra high performance down to 10 or 12 hz. biggrin.gif

yes, this is my tutu, and yes, funerals are appropriate places to wear them... now hand me my scepter
post #366 of 766 Old 01-01-2013, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Waves View Post

On a side note, we will be starting the prerelease pricing for our upcoming flagship subwoofer, the dual opposed sealed 18" with two power levels, 4800watts RMS, and 9600 watts RMS, and the prerelease pricing will be ending very soon on the 8.2.P speakers, as we only have a couple spaces left.

Nathan - your stealing my design..... tongue.gif
post #367 of 766 Old 01-01-2013, 01:33 PM

Thank you for the replies. Before posting I used Google to search the Internet for information regarding the "NS18" driver and thought it might be a product made by AuraSound. Does Funk Audio normally use drivers manufactured by this company?

I sent an inquiry to Funk Audio (Nathan?) through their web site and will follow up with him tomorrow?

Can you provide any further information regarding what design I should request (i.e. sealed/ported active w/passive driver)?

My living room dimension is approximately 20' x 20' w/a 10' high ceiling, carpeted floor, and two large openings to the kitchen and foyer.

I have a Pioneer SC-07 AVR to support the speaker system.

Do you know if Funk Audio can come close to matching the cherry finish of my existing Aperion speakers?

Please forgive me but what does "TSAD" mean?
post #368 of 766 Old 01-01-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:

Thank you for the replies. Before posting I used Google to search the Internet for information regarding the "NS18" driver and thought it might be a product made by AuraSound. Does Funk Audio normally use drivers manufactured by this company?
I sent an inquiry to Funk Audio (Nathan?) through their web site and will follow up with him tomorrow?
Can you provide any further information regarding what design I should request (i.e. sealed/ported active w/passive driver)?
My living room dimension is approximately 20' x 20' w/a 10' high ceiling, carpeted floor, and two large openings to the kitchen and foyer.
I have a Pioneer SC-07 AVR to support the speaker system.
Do you know if Funk Audio can come close to matching the cherry finish of my existing Aperion speakers?
Please forgive me but what does "TSAD" mean?

TSAD is their designation for their drivers - ie. TSAD18v1.

They will use any driver you want really. They are a custom shop with a product line, so they will build anything. I know Nathan likes to offer interesting products for BOTF (bring on the funk).

I would go passive radiator design in a equal cube design (side firing passives, and front firing active, and equal HxWxD measurements). IMO, passive design is the best of both sealed and ported worlds.

For your finish... If the picture you provided is accurate, I would say yes, they should get it close enough so you wouldn't notice.

I think they're closed until tomorrow, holidays and all.

post #369 of 766 Old 01-01-2013, 07:55 PM

Thanks for the reply manwithnocape. I will follow up with Nathan to get more information regarding the custom subwoofer option as well as what Funk Audio anticipates their offerings will be for 2013.
post #370 of 766 Old 01-02-2013, 12:33 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply manwithnocape. I will follow up with Nathan to get more information regarding the custom subwoofer option as well as what Funk Audio anticipates their offerings will be for 2013.

Good call biggrin.gif
FA is an excellent choice. Ive been very happy and have pleased the most scrutinizing audiophile with my system. The data on all of his equipment is very conservative... so it will perform better than it says.
Pound for pound, the 18.0C or the 18.1 are amazing subs. I've been to his studio and listened to both and I believe they are out for review (i might be wrong on that). Keep your eyes peeled, I know of some crazy stuff coming down the pipe, and when i say crazy i mean CRAZY!! like in league with the Sub2. kind of crazy.

post #371 of 766 Old 01-02-2013, 12:56 PM

one more thing... wood finishes change colour over time from the effects of UV.

post #372 of 766 Old 01-02-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnocape View Post

one more thing... wood finishes change colour over time from the effects of UV.
Agreed. My home has cherry wood kitchen cabinets and HW floors and my Aperion speakers are finished with a cherry wood veneer product so I am familiar with this process. I am in touch w/Nathan and we are trading emails regarding the specifics of the custom subwoofer.
post #373 of 766 Old 01-03-2013, 02:59 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Nathan - your stealing my design..... tongue.gif

Nathan or anyone else,

can you share any more information regarding this dual 18-inch behemoth? Which drivers will be used? Which amp? I heard this monster will have an external amplification, is that correct? When will it be available and at which price approximately?

And last but not least: How would you estimate the performance of Nathans design compared to Mark Seaton's upcoming sealed dual 18-inch project, the Submersive XL (I know this is a hypothetical question, but I would be interested in your opinions though)?
post #374 of 766 Old 01-03-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustcap View Post

Nathan or anyone else,
can you share any more information regarding this dual 18-inch behemoth? Which drivers will be used? Which amp? I heard this monster will have an external amplification, is that correct? When will it be available and at which price approximately?
And last but not least: How would you estimate the performance of Nathans design compared to Mark Seaton's upcoming sealed dual 18-inch project, the Submersive XL (I know this is a hypothetical question, but I would be interested in your opinions though)?

Why, you going to buy one?
post #375 of 766 Old 01-03-2013, 12:48 PM

Maybe...
post #376 of 766 Old 01-03-2013, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
This dual opposed 18" monster sounds pretty awesome. I understand its a little larger in size than an 18.0. Can't wait to here about the rest of the specs, if only to drool over. I've got two 18.0s that hopefully will be arriving soon and it took some doing to get my wife to allow something that size into the house.
post #377 of 766 Old 01-03-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by club968 View Post

This dual opposed 18" monster sounds pretty awesome. I understand its a little larger in size than an 18.0. Can't wait to here about the rest of the specs, if only to drool over. I've got two 18.0s that hopefully will be arriving soon and it took some doing to get my wife to allow something that size into the house.

I'd love to see pictures when they arrive. smile.gif
post #378 of 766 Old 01-03-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by club968 View Post

I live about 45 min or so away from Funk Audio's studio and you will never guess what I got to preview yesterday.... and the day before biggrin.gif
He's calling it the 18.2 eek.gif Either there was 10kW total or 20kW total, either way 12hz was impressive, like the way a sunset is impressive.... just with more bass lol!tongue.gif
Im just shocked. Its tight when it needs to be, more musical than the 18.0, explosions and effects rumble in a very impressive way. When you're watching a movie, and something heavy hits something heavy and hard, these things give you the sense of it in mass quantities. Im sorry to hurt the feelings of any Seaton or JTR fans out there, but I would not be surprised if it decimated a Sub2. It is on a whole nother level. This is going to be my next sub(s) hands down. I just need someone to buy my current system... please... its a really good deal smile.gif
Nuance likes this.

post #379 of 766 Old 01-03-2013, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Any pricing on the 18.2?

David Budo
post #380 of 766 Old 01-03-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

Why, you going to buy one?

what difference does it make regarding his questions whether he's buying one or not?
Billy p likes this.
post #381 of 766 Old 01-03-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

Any pricing on the 18.2?

nope. he's a tight lipped feller. i know it's unoffically on pre-release, so im guessing its a crazy deal...
Dbuudo07 likes this.

post #382 of 766 Old 01-03-2013, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 40
There will be more info on the new dual opposed 18 very soon, and will be officially on pre release in a week or two. The "low power option" will have 2.4kW RMS per driver, 4.8kW total, and the testing is done on this version and its ready to go. The high power option will have 4.8kW per driver, 9.6kW total, and will cost more, this just needs some final testing. As these are basically finished the design stage the pre release will only be for one month, then they will go to "introductory" price for 6 months, then on to regular price. For now please contact us for pricing.

These are only available with our external amplification, built in amplification for this design proved impractical, as it is the enclosure only just fits the drivers, 22" high 21" wide(plus clearance for the drivers) 24" deep(at the deepest point, with curved front/back)
Nuance likes this.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
post #383 of 766 Old 01-03-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Thanks manwithnocape!

Nathan, that's a pretty "tiny" sub, all things considered. Can't wait for more details. I'm really looking forward to pulling the trigger on these bad boys if the the performance is what I suspect it will be.

David Budo
post #384 of 766 Old 01-04-2013, 01:38 AM

Hi Nathan,

thanks a lot for these informations. So only 2 weeks till pre-release. Will your website be updated with infos, prices and pics of the 18.2 at the day of the pre-release? Can you tell a bit more about the drivers used?

This enclosure appears indeed almost tiny given the size of the drivers and the expected performance. It really seems like Seaton's upcoming SubM XL and JTR's Cap S2 won't be unrivaled in the ID-market for high performance subs.
post #385 of 766 Old 01-04-2013, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Good call biggrin.gif
FA is an excellent choice. Ive been very happy and have pleased the most scrutinizing audiophile with my system. The data on all of his equipment is very conservative... so it will perform better than it says.
Pound for pound, the 18.0C or the 18.1 are amazing subs. I've been to his studio and listened to both and I believe they are out for review (i might be wrong on that). Keep your eyes peeled, I know of some crazy stuff coming down the pipe, and when i say crazy i mean CRAZY!! like in league with the Sub2. kind of crazy.

I am having a very hard time deciding if I should purchase one 18.0C or two PB12-NSD.
Right now my budget is low, but I decided to wait a couple months to purchase one or two of the mentioned subs when I able able to spend close to $2000.

post #386 of 766 Old 01-04-2013, 04:38 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEAR2004 View Post

I am having a very hard time deciding if I should purchase one 18.0C or two PB12-NSD.
Right now my budget is low, but I decided to wait a couple months to purchase one or two of the mentioned subs when I able able to spend close to $2000.

Hi,

I would go for 18.0C, this one is very musical and constructed with BB ply wood with great specifications:

Sealed
+/-3db variable from 15-30hz, to 40-150hz, customizable, contact us for more information
124db maximum output at 2m ground plane
S/N ratio >113db at full rated power

I have a similar driver with NEO magnet costruction (maybe more end RMS power) in Tapped Horn design and it is great.
post #387 of 766 Old 01-04-2013, 05:58 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:

If in a quandary regarding one 18.0 C or a pair of PB12-NSD's, I offer a third choice, a pair of PSA, XS30's. Not at "per-ty" as an 18.0 C but many times more output than a pair of PB12-NSD's.

Due to smoothing, two subs is better than one sub and with co-location of subs, one gets an approximate 4dB - 6dB boost.

A pair of XS30's has four fifteen inch drivers and each individual subwoofer comes with a 725W RMS (1,450W peak) capable amplifier. A delivered pair of XS30's will run $2,183.00 vs a single 18.0 C, no upgrades, $1,890.00. If one upgrades the Funk Audio, 18.0 C amplifier to the equal amplifier output capability of a pair of XS30 subs, the single 18.0 C's delivered price will be $2,190.00 or seven dollars more for a single sub vs a pair of very capable subwoofers.

This graph give one a comparison between ground plane and in room response of the XS30:

Comparison graphs for Funk Audio subs are still pending. I'm sure when posted, they'll be excellent graphs.

In the above case, basically, one gets to choose between "beauty" or the "beastie boys."

Hope the above information helps in your decision making process.

-
post #388 of 766 Old 01-04-2013, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

If in a quandary regarding one 18.0 C or a pair of PB12-NSD's, I offer a third choice, a pair of PSA, XS30's. Not at "per-ty" as an 18.0 C but many times more output than a pair of PB12-NSD's.
Due to smoothing, two subs is better than one sub and with co-location of subs, one gets an approximate 4dB - 6dB boost.
A pair of XS30's has four fifteen inch drivers and each individual subwoofer comes with a 725W RMS (1,450W peak) capable amplifier. A delivered pair of XS30's will run $2,183.00 vs a single 18.0 C, no upgrades, $1,890.00. If one upgrades the Funk Audio, 18.0 C amplifier to the equal amplifier output capability of a pair of XS30 subs, the single 18.0 C's delivered price will be $2,190.00 or seven dollars more for a single sub vs a pair of very capable subwoofers.
This graph give one a comparison between ground plane and in room response of the XS30:

Comparison graphs for Funk Audio subs are still pending.
In the above case, basically, one gets to choose between "beauty" or the "beastie boys."
Hope the above information helps in your decision making process.
-

Thanks for info! However, I am Canadian and I would prefer to stick with Canadian retailers to avoid getting hit hard with duties, taxes and heavy shipping cost. The XS30 does look amazing, but I think I will just go with one 18.0C and purchase another one next year.
I believe I will be paying $2,082 with the 1.5kW amp upgrade on the 18.0C delivered. I wonder how this sub performs with 'Bassotronics - Bass, I Love You' track.

post #389 of 766 Old 01-04-2013, 06:57 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:

Thanks for info! However, I am Canadian and I would prefer to stick with Canadian retailers to avoid getting hit hard with duties, taxes and heavy shipping cost.

You're welcome.

In the question I responded to, you mentioned a pair of PB12-NSD's which are US products sold in Canada so I went with a generic recommendation. A suggestion would be to check with Power Sound Audio to see what they have to say on Canadian sales. What ever you choose to do, if going with the 18.0 C, I know you'll be very happy.

-
post #390 of 766 Old 01-04-2013, 07:40 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Im sorry to hurt the feelings of any Seaton or JTR fans out there, but I would not be surprised if it decimated a Sub2. It is on a whole nother level.

wtf does the sub2 have to do with seaton or JTR?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page