Funky Waves Audio - Official Thread (Prebuilt and Custom Subs) - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #451 of 756 Old 03-06-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 879
I was going to buy the 18.1, which Nathan said offers there best performance dollar ratio. At the same time I was talking with Nathan I was also dealing with Tom from PSA. In the end I went with dual XS30's from PSA. But Funk Audio makes great subs, and seeing how this is the Funk Audio thread I don't really want to talk about my PSA subs anymore. If you wanted to pm me about my subs I'd be happy to answer any questions for you.
I would think the 18.1 would offer output that's very close to a SubMersive HP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 756 Old 03-06-2013, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
just a little opinion here... funk audio offers a different listening experience. they are about sonic expression, making what you are hearing more tactile and realistic. i've heard lots of subs from 200 to 4k bucks, and it is a case of listener preference. but no one has complained about the sound of funk audio (to my knowledge anyway). it's not just bass, its rich and full of the nuances of real life sound, and it makes the experience that much more engrossing. its just that much more nicer, pleasant, surprising, and good. so, ya they are little bit more money, but on listening alone they are just that much better... the presentation and workmanship is a bonus. IMHO, if anyone cares. if not, well, it was fun to write this little bit anyway, haha. smile.gif

yes, this is my tutu, and yes, funerals are appropriate places to wear them... now hand me my scepter
post #453 of 756 Old 03-07-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
My goodness, that piano black is just amazing.
post #454 of 756 Old 03-10-2013, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Does Funk Audio ship internationally?
post #455 of 756 Old 03-10-2013, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Yes.
post #456 of 756 Old 03-16-2013, 07:31 PM

Liked: 15
Just ordered a 18.0C zebra-wood, with a cherry stain.

Anyone here own an 18.0C, and can share their experience with the sub?

Nathan, if you are reading, have you thought of getting a forum set up at your site? It would be a great place for people to
find out more info on your products, and build a community with the owners who would like to share experiences, and help each
other out, or even start conversations with those looking to purchase. Those who have some info, and have had conversations with
currents owners, will be more likely to feel comfortable taking the step to buy.
I think it would be a great addition to your website.
post #457 of 756 Old 03-18-2013, 07:19 AM

How does the 15.0 compare as far as commercial offerings go? Would it be far off the mark compared to the Paradigm Sub25? I heard that sub and it was mighty impressive. I don't want to spend that kind of cash, so I'm looking for other options. Must be sealed. The 15.0 LOOKS like a fantastic sub but I don't know what to expect as far as performance goes. How deep can it go ... output? Etc.
post #458 of 756 Old 03-18-2013, 11:30 AM

Heinrich, I think the 15.0 would not be in the same league as the Sub 25, but then again the sub retails for $4700, lets say you can negotiate it for $4000, that is a huge price difference.

I would spend the extra couple of hundred and move up to the 18.0C, with a better and more powerful amp, and a better driver as well, in same size cabinet. Output reaches 124db, and can hit 15Hz, maybe down to 10Hz with the right conditions. That is about as low and as loud and any reasonably priced sub can get. My guess is you are getting close to the Sub 25. Even the flagship Sub 2 cannot go much below 10Hz, and that is a $9,000 sub! The main difference is Funk Audio get their parts from OEM's who are known for their quality, and not something mass produced in China (which all ID subs basically are, except some cabinets are local). You are also getting a handmade Baltic birch cabinet, and you own choice of great finishes.

Funk Audio own designed and manufactured amp and drivers in the 18.0 series start at $3000, and I would venture would best the Sub 25 for a $1000 less.

What else are you looking at getting?
post #459 of 756 Old 03-18-2013, 01:53 PM

To be completely honest, I demoed the Sub25 and fell in love but there is no way I can afford it. frown.gif The depth and power it had was just incredible. I'm pretty sure it can hit down to 15 Hz with some heft.

If the difference in price between the 15.0 and the 18.0c is not that much then I'll definitely consider it. I just want a sub that can reach or approach that level of performance. I've never heard or felt such impact from a commercial sub before so to me it's kind of the reference although I'm sure there are bigger and better subs out there but it's the best I've experienced to date.

You think the 18.0C still won't hold a candle to the Sub25? You mention getting a better amplifier and driver? Isn't the 18.0C improved over the 15.0? I'm working within a budget. The maximum I'll want to go is around $2000 ($2.2k if really pushed).
post #460 of 756 Old 03-18-2013, 03:04 PM

Yes, the 18.0C is an upgrade over the 15.0, the price is not much more, and is just under your budget. I think it would approach a Sub 25, but there are lots of variables for performance. The Sub 25 is definitely a reference class product, but I would not be surprised if the 18.0C would even have some advantages. I would send a message to Nathan Funk (from their website), and he will be able to answer your questions in a much more detailed way. You can further upgrade the amp and driver if you so desire. If you do, let me know how the conversation went.
post #461 of 756 Old 03-18-2013, 03:10 PM

Thanks Anthony. I sent an email to Nathan. He also recommended the 18.0c and said it should be quite close, but the 18.0 should eclipse the Sub25 in terms of bass output and depth. I think the 18.0 is definitely outside my price. The 18.0c definietly looks like one hell of a contender. Problem is that I live in South Africa, so I need to factor in shipping to. I don't see the weight on the 18.0c. In fact I am scared to think how much it weighs! smile.gif
post #462 of 756 Old 03-18-2013, 04:16 PM

18.0C is 80lbs, not sure what the box weighs. It is lighter than most other comparable subs, so shipping would probably be less as well.
What did Nathan say about the 18.0C vs the Sub 25?
post #463 of 756 Old 03-18-2013, 05:15 PM

i've heard both 18.0C and the sub 25.... the 18.0C is better imo.

yes, this is my tutu, and yes, funerals are appropriate places to wear them... now hand me my scepter
post #464 of 756 Old 03-18-2013, 05:22 PM

Manwithnocape, you have me curious. How would you compare the two, why did you like the 18.0C better?
post #465 of 756 Old 03-18-2013, 07:30 PM

I dont know if you can relate, but here goes nothin....

im a bass player (bass guitar - not synth or digital, but honest to god stringed instruments). if by some chance the 25 digs a little deeper, it misses musical qualities within the general concept of sound. so, for me the sacrifice would not be worth the extra few hz (if there are any). even in the HT world, there is amazing music found in the sound effect tracks of your favorite blu-ray... 100% of all sound effects are manipulated in studio, so a man made sound can still be considered music even though it might be a crash or explosion... the studio injects musical qualities, subtle nuances that force you to feel what you are watching. The Gospel of HT Audio; chapter 1, verse 1: If the audio track sucks, the movie sucks, and all bass heads agreed and decided to compile their findings on the data bass forum.

the 18.0C gives you the details of the low end - and this is true of all funk audio equipment, there is clarity and detail in overwhelming abundance.
the sub 25 just gives low end, and misses that little bit extra that makes the hairs on your neck stand up.

dont get me wrong, the sub 25 is a good sub, but the anechoic design premise and absence of superior and stiffer construction materials forces the sub 25 to lack in its musical abilities. to me, its sad to hear something that is forced to underperform.

for that reason i would bow out of a sub 25 and get a solid bamboo 18.0C. bamboo is stiffer and will give you nicer dynamic presence, a better sense of "being right there" regardless of what you are listening to.

that is what i look for in speakers and subwoofers... how real is the sound and does that sound force me to stay engaged with the movie or song? and i make my decisions based on the answer to those questions.

post #466 of 756 Old 03-18-2013, 08:19 PM

Thanks for taking the time to give a detailed response manwithnocape. I do understand what you are taking about, but you probably more so as a musician. The quality of the sound is what I value the most, so I am thrilled to see the 18.0C excels in this area. What sub do you have at the moment? Have you been to FA as you are local (I am in Abbotsford).
How much difference is the bamboo cabinet over the Baltic birch sonically? Any idea what they charge for it?
post #467 of 756 Old 03-19-2013, 01:38 AM

Anthony, Nathan told me that the 18.0c should match or beat the Sub25 from 30 Hz and up but might give up a little bass extension down low. Whether he was being conservative or not is anyone's guess. biggrin.gif He did say that if I wanted to beat the Sub25 as in outperform it in all areas then 18.0 would be highly recommended.
post #468 of 756 Old 03-19-2013, 09:40 AM

Sounds good Heinrich. You have some better info to make a decision, and you might even get more refined bass than the Sub 25.
How large is the room it is going in?

Where do you live in South Africa? My wife is from Cape Town smile.gif
post #469 of 756 Old 03-19-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonywoy 
How large is the room it is going in?

6m x 4m. Not a huge room, so I'm thinking I'll get some good room gain down low.
Quote:
Where do you live in South Africa? My wife is from Cape Town

I'm also from Cape Town! biggrin.gif
post #470 of 756 Old 03-19-2013, 11:06 AM

Not a large room, so I agree, should get some good room gain. Let me know which sub you end up going with. Not sure you could beat the 18.0C for the money, nothing even comes to mind to recommend to you.
post #471 of 756 Old 03-19-2013, 06:51 PM

I have a 18.0 with a tsad18vX driver (it was the v2 until the 18.2 came along). I had it made by nathan funk. this driver is a one off.

post #472 of 756 Old 03-19-2013, 08:25 PM

Bamboo gives that little extra crispness to the sound... Opens up the detail a bit more.
Yes, i visit FA often... Its a happy place.

post #473 of 756 Old 03-19-2013, 11:48 PM

I would love to hear an 18.0 sometime. Have you heard any of the new loudspeakers? How would you describe their sound?
post #474 of 756 Old 03-20-2013, 12:54 AM

I found out that shipping to South Africa is only $150 more than shipping to USA. Weird, I expected a LOT more than that. I've imported SVS in the past and I was charged like $500, for their smaller offerings. Hopefully that wasn't a mistake, but I certainly wouldn't complain if shipping is only $150.

Nathan said the 18.0c should be able to reach down to 12 Hz in a small room. Right now I'm just debating whether I should perhaps move up to the more powerful amp or driver, but Nathan said the improved woofer wouldn't really improve on the deep deep stuff. It would provide more output in the upper bass.
post #475 of 756 Old 03-20-2013, 01:48 AM

Nathan said the same thing to me about the more powerful amp and driver. He said it makes sense to get both if you are doing it. That upgrade is getting out of my budget, but this sub already has great mid bass slam, so I am not sure if I need it more "slamier" biggrin.gif
It is already very loud, and my room is small, so I think I will make do. Inquired into the cost of a bamboo cabinet, as manwithnocape indicated that it has even better sonic qualities. If it is too much of an upgrade, I will suffer with the Baltic birch smile.gif Performance down to 12Hz is amazing, and I have a small room, so it should hit in that range.
post #476 of 756 Old 03-20-2013, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonywoy View Post

I would love to hear an 18.0 sometime. Have you heard any of the new loudspeakers? How would you describe their sound?

I've heard all their current loudspeakers... very, very, Very good. asking me to describe my FA loudspeakers is like firing missiles at the hoover dam and then asking it not to loose any water, kinda dangerous. i will say this: 8.1P - one 8 inch and one planar. 700w rms and the best thing i have ever heard. my system is two 8.1P's and a 18.0 with the FA 3 channel built in amp. they will handle a 8000 cuft room with gain to spare, i know, i've done it. but they are not just loud, they are clear and warm and perfectly balanced at any output level you choose.

if you take all the things that you don't like about your current loudspeakers and throw those characteristics at someone who thinks BOSE is good, and what you have left over is audio euphoria... that is how FA sounds.

i will warn you though, every other speaker starts to sound bad, and my friends call me an audio snob. i heard some b&w 803's last week... was not impressed in the slightest. id rather walk down east hastings dressed in a suit and tie with money and heroin falling out of my pockets.

just an opinion guys, please dont crucify me.

post #477 of 756 Old 03-20-2013, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonywoy View Post

Nathan said the same thing to me about the more powerful amp and driver. He said it makes sense to get both if you are doing it. That upgrade is getting out of my budget, but this sub already has great mid bass slam, so I am not sure if I need it more "slamier" biggrin.gif
It is already very loud, and my room is small, so I think I will make do. Inquired into the cost of a bamboo cabinet, as manwithnocape indicated that it has even better sonic qualities. If it is too much of an upgrade, I will suffer with the Baltic birch smile.gif Performance down to 12Hz is amazing, and I have a small room, so it should hit in that range.

i hope i didn't give the impression that the baltic birch is a poor cabinet. mine is baltic, and i Love it. but the bamboo is an upgrade, it offers just that little bit extra for the critical listener. my next system will be bamboo though, just because.

post #478 of 756 Old 03-20-2013, 02:07 AM

you will be very surprised with your 18.0C's guys. i think the dollar amount kind of makes people think it's not a big contender, but it packs a punch, you'll be blown away. i know i was.

post #479 of 756 Old 03-20-2013, 08:36 AM

I did not get the impression the Baltic birch was bad in any way, you just got me curious about the bamboo. If I was going to upgrade anything, that sounds like my best option, as I am not sure more power would get me much, but better sound is always good smile.gif

What did you get done with the driver that is different from the standard 18.0?

Why not the 8.2?

Thanks for your input, it is great to hear from someone who owns/has heard the product. Not any info on the 18.0C other than the FA website.
post #480 of 756 Old 03-20-2013, 10:59 AM

I just wanted a bookshelf that sounds like a floor standing speaker. My plan is to use my current system for the rear channels in my HT or build a music listening room and use them for music only. My front end will be dual 18.3's, the 5.4P center, and there is a secret speaker that they are not releasing for a while. I happen to know about it because I was in the right place at the right time and I have no idea what they are called.... anyway, I would like 2 of them.

Driver - I went with a different cone and surround. In the music listening range it seems to be slightly more "present" with a little bit better output. It was a very expensive upgrade, but I like it.

Amps - Thats the thing about their amps, they build them that way for a reason... the speakers work better, the sound is better, the output is better, everything is better. I don't hardly ever use all 700W, but they have done something with their amps that make me think of hafler and the yamaha M's. I think its also that the amps are paired with their speakers (subs and loudspeakers), they are designed to work together. I like buying things the way they are designed to work.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page