Funky Waves Audio - Official Thread (Prebuilt and Custom Subs) - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #541 of 766 Old 05-11-2013, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm finally getting around to posting a quick review of my 15.3...

I got the sub about a year ago, after some supply chain issues Nathan had (amps). Throughout the design and construction phases communication with Nathan was excellent, never had any surprises and I was able to get exactly what I wanted. He even sent me a couple of veneer samples so I could actually see the final finish. After a year of listening, I've had parties, quiet afternoon listening sessions, watched ~100 movies and thoroughly tested the sub. The only thing I can think to do to improve my low-end capabilities, is order another one. Also, after a year with some pretty punishing trials, the sub is sounding better than it did the day I plugged it in (break in period and whatnot).

My setup is far from ideal, I live in a condo so my living room, dining room and kitchen are all one big open space. The sub is very capable of pressurizing the room (thanks to Nathan's advice on sizing/placement). I know the sub performs well right down to 10-15 Hz because the dishes rattle...

I'm not posting omnimic graphs because I've got a lot of 60Hz noise (I'm working on it). The kitchen fridge and kegerator are the primary culprits at this point. I've also got to get an electrician friend in to take a look at grounding, Nathan helped me work through some serious ground loop issues just after I got the sub. I'm not posting photos because my place is a bit of a mess, but if there are requests I'll clean up and post some.

Like everyone else in this thread, I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I highly recommend Nathan and his products to anyone looking for a great sounding setup.

Now I'm off to see if Nathan can build me another one...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 766 Old 05-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ningeo View Post

I'm not posting omnimic graphs because I've got a lot of 60Hz noise (I'm working on it).

Congrats on your new Funk ningeo!

FYI, some early OmniMics had a bad ground in the mic chassis and would show a 60 Hz spike on frequency response charts. Take your OM & laptop outside or another area of the house and remeasure. If the 60 Hz noise is still there, contact Dayton Audio for a warranty replacement.
post #543 of 766 Old 06-27-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Review of the Funk Audio 18.0 has been posted over at Audioholics....smile.gif

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/subwoofers/85980-funk-audio-18-0-sealed-subwoofer-review.html#post974445

I hope my post is not a duplicate...redface.gif
its phillip likes this.

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics (NrT)Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry & Svs SB13U in sig
post #544 of 766 Old 06-27-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

Review of the Funk Audio 18.0 has been posted over at Audioholics....smile.gif

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/subwoofers/85980-funk-audio-18-0-sealed-subwoofer-review.html#post974445

I hope my post is not a duplicate...redface.gif

COOL! Thanks!

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #545 of 766 Old 06-28-2013, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
im writing for the sake of writing.
i like what mark k said, "factual review". that means a lot when there are pumped up falsehoods baseless opinions on every corner of the audio industry. when i first read the review i felt like josh didnt completely dispel all the skepticism... it felt like there was a hint of "but" lingering. but i see that this can be a good thing. after all, nothing that is man made is perfect. things break, and stuff gets missed. but it is good that there are some hard numbers to go off of now. honestly, im really surprised at where it places in the range of sub woofers.

yes, this is my tutu, and yes, funerals are appropriate places to wear them... now hand me my scepter
post #546 of 766 Old 06-28-2013, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 57
What other skepticism do you think is out there? I really enjoyed the review and felt it was very thorough. Also, in regards to you being surprised where it places performance wise, did you expect the numbers to be higher or lower? smile.gif

post #547 of 766 Old 06-28-2013, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by its phillip View Post

Also, in regards to you being surprised where it places performance wise, did you expect the numbers to be higher or lower? smile.gif

In terms of sheer output capabilities, from 50Hz on up it's right about what FA advertised with their 126dB @ 2m when you knock off 3dB to convert from peak to Josh's RMS numbers. Granted it's not doing this at 10Hz, but nobody in their right mind should expect that either.
post #548 of 766 Old 06-28-2013, 08:30 AM

I honestly thought they would be lower. I know what my 18.0 measures in my room, but gp and measuring styles make for different numbers. one thing is for sure, it is a great speaker and it's nice to know fa is as honest as they can be.
Skepticism is only there in a small wiff, just the tone that i interpret as a reader. And that's good, it keeps the reader grounded.
its phillip likes this.

yes, this is my tutu, and yes, funerals are appropriate places to wear them... now hand me my scepter
post #549 of 766 Old 06-28-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
I'm not trying to step on any toes or start anything but for what the 18.0 costs I would have expected higher output numbers. Am I the only one that feels that way?
post #550 of 766 Old 06-28-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I'm not trying to step on any toes or start anything but for what the 18.0 costs I would have expected higher output numbers. Am I the only one that feels that way?

It’s the curve of the enclosure that drives the cost up so high. smile.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #551 of 766 Old 06-28-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

It’s the curve of the enclosure that drives the cost up so high. smile.gif

Hahaha that's pretty funny Steve!....lol biggrin.gif
post #552 of 766 Old 06-28-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:

Am I the only one that feels that way?

Yup, your the only one. The 18.0 isn't just about raw output, it's a beautiful design. There are lots of big black industrial boxes that can produce big SPLs, but there aren't a lot that can do so in such an elegant piece.
manwithnocape likes this.
post #553 of 766 Old 06-28-2013, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It owns the 40 and 50Hz spots on the Audioholics PDF of tested subs, and is within 3dB of the leaders from 32Hz on up at the other points on the CEA2010 burst tests. Down low in the 10-20Hz bracket, it's within 3dB of the much costlier Paradigm Sub 2. Overall I'd call that extremely strong output capability for the design/form factor.
post #554 of 766 Old 06-28-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Yup, your the only one. The 18.0 isn't just about raw output, it's a beautiful design. There are lots of big black industrial boxes that can produce big SPLs, but there aren't a lot that can do so in such an elegant piece.

Haha yeah I'm sure I'm the only one rolleyes.gif
post #555 of 766 Old 06-28-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1564
Quote:

Haha yeah I'm sure I'm the only one rolleyes.gif

You are not the only one...I agree with ya.

I can hear it now...my sub out performs yours...yea but my sub is prettier. lol

I think 98% would take the better performance for less money over looks anyday. Were not talking about cars or women here, were talking about a subwoofer. My apologies if I offended the 2%. smile.gif

If it helps, my PSA subs are ugly compared to Funk subs.
post #556 of 766 Old 06-28-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

You are not the only one...I agree with ya.

I can hear it now...my sub out performs yours...yea but my sub is prettier. lol

I think 98% would take the better performance for less money over looks anyday. Were not talking about cars or women here, were talking about a subwoofer. My apologies if I offended the 2%. smile.gif

If it helps, my PSA subs are ugly compared to Funk subs.

Yea but I just found out that the cost of the Triax is going up 100% because of the form factor. eek.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #557 of 766 Old 06-28-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

Yea but I just found out that the cost of the Triax is going up 100% because of the form factor. eek.gif

Lol...

Fwiw I do think the Funk subs are sweet looking and when it comes down to it, numbers mean very little, as all of those high end subs are capable of insane output. I believe it boils down to preference and form factor over all out performance.
post #558 of 766 Old 06-28-2013, 01:01 PM

FWIW, i agree with josh. it is a well rounded piece of art. if art is your thing, then fa is your sub, if looks dont matter, then fa is not your sub. but like JR said, the whole point of fa is to possess beauty, braun, and brains all in equal and even keeled portions... and that means a price tag that is objectionable to some and a steal of a deal to others.

post #559 of 766 Old 06-28-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

In all seriousness I agree.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #560 of 766 Old 06-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think 98% would take the better performance for less money over looks anyday.

Well, I think we know you would at least tongue.gif Seriously though, people pay for aesthetics all the time. As long as the performance is adequate and the item can be afforded, people spend more on all sorts of stuff ranging from cars and watches to mundane appliances like refrigerators and coffee makers.
post #561 of 766 Old 06-28-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is not even remotely true. The best selling subs are small subs. There is a reason why there is so many companies make small shiny units, because they sell. Rel, Velodyne, JL Audio, Polk, Klipsch, B&W, etc, all have a bunch of small subs available, and it isn't because the performance is so great. Large subs are a niche market, which is another way of saying truly high performance subs are a niche market. Very few people would have a Captivator in their living room. Hell, I wouldn't want a Captivator in my living room. It's just too damn ugly. I could live with one in my home theater, or den, but I don't want an eyesore in rooms that should look nice. The 18.0 would get a living room pass though.
post #562 of 766 Old 06-28-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is not even remotely true. The best selling subs are small subs. There is a reason why there is so many companies make small shiny units, because they sell. Rel, Velodyne, JL Audio, Polk, Klipsch, B&W, etc, all have a bunch of small subs available, and it isn't because the performance is so great. Large subs are a niche market, which is another way of saying truly high performance subs are a niche market. Very few people would have a Captivator in their living room. Hell, I wouldn't want a Captivator in my living room. It's just too damn ugly. I could live with one in my home theater, or den, but I don't want an eyesore in rooms that should look nice. The 18.0 would get a living room pass though.

I was basing that off of members here in this forum...why do 98% of all ID companies build large subwoofers and why do most members here buy them? Because we dont care about looks we want performance... so save the brick and mortar lecture for amazon reviews. smile.gif
post #563 of 766 Old 06-28-2013, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Aaaaaaah, I care about looks. Well as much as one can regarding how a black or cherry wood, square or rectangular box blends with a living room's decor.

post #564 of 766 Old 06-28-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Aaaaaaah, I care about looks. Well as much as one can regarding how a black or cherry wood, square or rectangular box blends with a living room's decor.

That's the FSPD18v1 driver, it doesn't great. The gorgeous TSAD driver on the other hand:
Quote:

I was basing that off of members here in this forum...why do 98% of all ID companies build large subwoofers and why do most members here buy them? Because we dont care about looks we want performance... so save the brick and mortar lecture for amazon reviews. smile.gif

Again, this is nonsense because if it were true, we would all have folded horn cabinets.
post #565 of 766 Old 06-28-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's the FSPD18v1 driver, it doesn't great. The gorgeous TSAD driver on the other hand:

Again, this is nonsense because if it were true, we would all have folded horn cabinets.

No I wouldnt have a folded horn cabinet because i dont have room.If I had a large theatre room then yes I very well may have one.
post #566 of 766 Old 06-28-2013, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One thing to remember is that while large they are doing what they can (mostly) to make them look as nice as possible.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
post #567 of 766 Old 06-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Because we dont care about looks we want performance...
I'd be willing to bet there are more than a couple members roaming around even on this insane asylum who own subs like JL Fathoms, Hsu ULS-15s, Rythmik E15s, SVS SB13Us, Seaton Submersives, etc that like their performance with a side of decent looks.
post #568 of 766 Old 06-28-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1981 View Post

I'd be willing to bet there are more than a couple members roaming around even on this insane asylum who own subs like JL Fathoms, Hsu ULS-15s, Rythmik E15s, SVS SB13Us, Seaton Submersives, etc that like their performance with a side of decent looks.

Well if you're throwing Seaton into that group you might as well include PSA with some of the great veneer options they are now too.

Funk Audio does offer some amazing finishes on their subs, there's no denying that.
post #569 of 766 Old 06-28-2013, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1981 View Post

I agree, I never said everybody...POINT being, you can get a decent looking sub that has matching performance for less money than a funk. yea it may not have exotic wood, but it will look decent. This is what i am trying to say and was more so agreeing with jbrown. I guess I need to break out the crayola crayons for some folks to understand and not take my posts out of context. tongue.gif
post #570 of 766 Old 06-28-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I guess I need to break out the crayola crayons for some folks to understand and not take my posts out of context.

Hey thanks bass I would appreciate that. biggrin.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
Denon
PS3
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page