Funky Waves Audio - Official Thread (Prebuilt and Custom Subs) - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #631 of 766 Old 08-21-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 1009
Yeah that's going to be a really sweet setup club986, you'll have to post some pictures when you get them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 766 Old 08-29-2013, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quick question. I saw Funk Audio on the list of exhibitors for this year's RMAF, which is cool. Just curious which products you are planning to showcase?

Thanks,

Mike

post #633 of 766 Old 08-30-2013, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
We are planning to have a set of 8.2.P's, a set of 6.1.P's(was going to be 8.1.P, but changed), and a set of large horn loaded mains(name tbd). For subs we will have an 18.2(power level two) and an 18.0, possibly an 18.0C as well.

FYI almost everything we bring to the show will be for sale at very good prices.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
post #634 of 766 Old 08-30-2013, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
Awesome..thanks for the info. I will defintely stop by on either Friday or Saturday.

I couldn't find any info on the 6.1Ps. Are they towers or bookshelves?

post #635 of 766 Old 08-30-2013, 10:06 AM

The 6.1.P's are bookshelves, they are the same style/family as the 8.2.P, with a 6" midbass and a large planar tweeter.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
post #636 of 766 Old 08-31-2013, 05:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Hi,

Getting ready to renovate my room and looked at these subs a while ago. Now I'm looking again as my project is getting close.

In terms of a single 18.2, How much more output could I get if I ran it for all output below 30 Hz? I have a pair of tapped horns (a la Danley) that have tremendous output over 30 Hz.

My room is approximately 4500 cubic ft and is sealed.

What would be it's electrical needs?

Any thoughts? Thanks!

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #637 of 766 Old 08-31-2013, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Hi,

Getting ready to renovate my room and looked at these subs a while ago. Now I'm looking again as my project is getting close.

In terms of a single 18.2, How much more output could I get if I ran it for all output below 30 Hz? I have a pair of tapped horns (a la Danley) that have tremendous output over 30 Hz.

My room is approximately 4500 cubic ft and is sealed.

What would be it's electrical needs?

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Which Danley cabs do you have?
post #638 of 766 Old 09-01-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

DTS10 precursor so to speak (when Danley was at Servodrive / or designed for them)... BDEAP32... 2 of them!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #639 of 766 Old 09-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

DTS10 precursor so to speak (when Danley was at Servodrive / or designed for them)... BDEAP32... 2 of them!

From my understanding the BDEAP is not a tapped horn but a front loaded horn and is very different from the DTS10 in terms of design goals. The BDEAPs are great subs and I completely agree with not replacing them for above 30Hz as it would be a downgrade unless you got one of Danley's newer subs. Your current route is spot on in using 2 way bass, I would recommend large FLHs below 30Hz as well if you have the space to accommodate them, if not multiple sealed/ported will be an acceptable compromise.
post #640 of 766 Old 09-01-2013, 12:12 PM

The 18.2 is basically as far as you can push the laws of physics as far as getting the most output from the smallest amount of space(roughly equal in overall output to two 18.0's in the low end in marginally more space). It comes at a cost though, but as a side affect it also has a little more impact over 80hz(not a benefit if used for sub 30hz). If your not too space limited two 18.0's will get you as much output for less money(fyi the 18.0 is on sale right now in a lower cost enclosure/finish). If space is not an issue for you at all we are developing a dual 15" front loaded horn, it will be massive, ~60x60x18, but it will have massive output to go along with its size, it will have an f3 of ~16hz(in room should go much lower), and will have 5-10db higher output than an 18.2 13-35hz, and ~3db more output 40-100hz. Price is expected to be 4500-5000ea(delivered, finished in an inexpensive finish). With built in 2400 watt DSP controlled amplifier.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
post #641 of 766 Old 09-01-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Waves View Post

The 18.2 is basically as far as you can push the laws of physics as far as getting the most output from the smallest amount of space(roughly equal in overall output to two 18.0's in the low end in marginally more space). It comes at a cost though, but as a side affect it also has a little more impact over 80hz(not a benefit if used for sub 30hz). If your not too space limited two 18.0's will get you as much output for less money(fyi the 18.0 is on sale right now in a lower cost enclosure/finish). If space is not an issue for you at all we are developing a dual 15" front loaded horn, it will be massive, ~60x60x18, but it will have massive output to go along with its size, it will have an f3 of ~16hz(in room should go much lower), and will have 5-10db higher output than an 18.2 13-35hz, and ~3db more output 40-100hz. Price is expected to be 4500-5000ea(delivered, finished in an inexpensive finish). With built in 2400 watt DSP controlled amplifier.

Space is an issue. So, the 18.0 may be a best option.

If you could, PM me with pricing if it is not public knowledge. I need a basic finish as it will be behind a screen.

How would output compare to the forthcoming 15" loaded horn - particularly in the ULF range?

Thanks for the reply.

post #642 of 766 Old 09-01-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadent_Spectre View Post

From my understanding the BDEAP is not a tapped horn but a front loaded horn and is very different from the DTS10 in terms of design goals. The BDEAPs are great subs and I completely agree with not replacing them for above 30Hz as it would be a downgrade unless you got one of Danley's newer subs. Your current route is spot on in using 2 way bass, I would recommend large FLHs below 30Hz as well if you have the space to accommodate them, if not multiple sealed/ported will be an acceptable compromise.

You are correct. Thanks for the correction.smile.gif

post #643 of 766 Old 09-03-2013, 05:34 PM

Here are a couple pictures of our new "low cost" finishes, shown on our special edition 18.0.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
post #644 of 766 Old 09-03-2013, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ those low cost finishes look great Nathan!
post #645 of 766 Old 09-09-2013, 11:36 PM

Liked: 10
For the "low cost finish models", what are the other differences besides the aesthetics, and do the changes effect the acoustics at all? That is, I see the cabinet is square and not curved obviously, and I think there are some changes to the thickness of the cabinet walls. What effects do these have on the acoustics? Obviously, given the $700 discount we have to be sacrificing something here, no?

I should mention, I'm interested in buying a pair of these to replace my SVS subs. Is there any discount if we buy two of them? Or does the multiple sub discounts not apply to these?

ps: I tried sending a message through the website (just asking if there is GST on these, wanted to start a dialog going mainly) but got no reply...?

Thanks,
Ted
post #646 of 766 Old 09-09-2013, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbadiuk View Post

For the "low cost finish models", what are the other differences besides the aesthetics, and do the changes effect the acoustics at all? That is, I see the cabinet is square and not curved obviously, and I think there are some changes to the thickness of the cabinet walls. What effects do these have on the acoustics? Obviously, given the $700 discount we have to be sacrificing something here, no?

I should mention, I'm interested in buying a pair of these to replace my SVS subs. Is there any discount if we buy two of them? Or does the multiple sub discounts not apply to these?

ps: I tried sending a message through the website (just asking if there is GST on these, wanted to start a dialog going mainly) but got no reply...?

Thanks,
Ted

If you're located within Canada I would assume Nathan would have to charge you GST on them.
post #647 of 766 Old 09-09-2013, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

One thing I never noticed before is the little fan at the bottom of the plate amp, I wonder how much noise it make.
post #648 of 766 Old 09-10-2013, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

If you're located within Canada I would assume Nathan would have to charge you GST on them.

Well, that's +5%, wonder if he needs to collect PST, which is now 8% in MB. :-(
Quote:

One thing I never noticed before is the little fan at the bottom of the plate amp, I wonder how much noise it make.

That's a good point, as someone who is OCD about noise I thought of that too just after my post above.
post #649 of 766 Old 09-10-2013, 01:34 AM

Liked: 14
I only noticed the fan once I applied power to the amp and heard it spun up, after that it was dead silent.
post #650 of 766 Old 09-10-2013, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banisher View Post

I only noticed the fan once I applied power to the amp and heard it spun up, after that it was dead silent.

Just so I'm understanding correctly - was it still running after the amp powered up, or did it go on, and then off? I'm wondering if it only kicks in when needed, or is it a constant on thing, or maybe the RPM's vary as needed, etc...
post #651 of 766 Old 09-10-2013, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

You'd only hear it if your head is next to the amp.
post #652 of 766 Old 09-10-2013, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
You'd only hear it if your head is next to the amp.

In which case you appreciate the cool breeze next to the wind.

biggrin.gif

Mark Kravchenko

Consultant and Designer

www.kravchenko-audio.com

post #653 of 766 Old 09-10-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:

Thanks,
Ted

Ted, A reply to your inquiry was sent Sept 2, maybe check your junk mail folder?

With the sale 18.0 we cannot really offer any greater discount on multiples as that is already the best price possible. The performance is identical to the standard 18.0, only cosmetically different. The top and bottom are not double thick like the standard version but they are well braced and very solid. The front baffle is still 1.5" thick. For the sale we are offering an extra discount in addition to the cost differences in the enclosure, depending on demand we may continue to offer them after the sale(ends Oct 18), there regular price would be $2875.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
post #654 of 766 Old 09-10-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, that's +5%, wonder if he needs to collect PST, which is now 8% in MB. :-(
That's a good point, as someone who is OCD about noise I thought of that too just after my post above.

I don't believe he would be collecting the PST if you live in MB.
post #655 of 766 Old 09-22-2013, 10:56 AM

Currently awaiting the arrival of two 18.0 special edition subs with black finish. Originally ordered one, but couldn't resist the benifits of having two plus taking advantage of the current sale before ending. Thanks Shadyj for your input. I was close to going with a sale on two uls15s. While I would have saved much financially and I know they are good, I'm confident I will be much happier owning these and won't have to worry about wanting to upgrade again : ) Thanks Nathan, I'm really looking forward to some awesome sq.
post #656 of 766 Old 10-17-2013, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Funk Audio at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest

Nathan Funk and Mark Kravchenko provided demos of the latest offerings from Funk Audio at the RMAF in Denver last weekend:

The tall towers are Funk Audio’s new 8.7’s. The 8.2’s in the middle were finished in a gorgeous quilted bubinga veneer. The 6.1 bookshelf speakers had exceptional low-end support from an 18.2 subwoofer finished in a handsome Koa:

The highlight of the show however, was when Nathan showed off his phenomenal quad TSAD subwoofer to a select group of attendees at an undisclosed offsite location:

Details to follow...
its phillip likes this.
post #657 of 766 Old 10-17-2013, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Funk Audio quad TSAD custom review

Something wicked this way comes...

- Four TSAD18v1 drivers
- 4800 W RMS (9600 W peak)
- AllDSP PEQ
- Quilted Bubinga finish

I contacted Funk Audio in mid-July to see what they might recommend in the realm of an “uber sub”: Clean, flat response down to single digit territory, high max SPL, and a beautiful finish. After tossing some ideas back & forth, the sub described above was what I decided on. I’ve been very impressed with my 18.0, so it didn’t seem to stretch the imagination too far that four TSAD’s in a single enclosure might perform rather nicely.

I considered having the quad done in the same brindle bamboo as my 18.0. Although that wood is quite striking, I thought the quad would look fantastic in a burl walnut. Nathan said that veneer was hard to find in the large sizes that were needed, but that quilted bubinga had a similar appearance and was easier to obtain. The color samples he sent (chili cherry, paprika, and clear) were all very nice, but the stains darkened the wood too much for my taste so I requested no stain. Funk Audio uses a rather flat (12 degree) clear coat as their standard. I requested a shinier varnish (30 degree) to give it a bit more pizazz. For reference, an ultra-high gloss is 90 degree.

After placing my order and waiting nearly 3 months, DHL arrived last Friday and deposited a gigantic plywood crate weighing nearly 400 pounds in my garage. The uncrated sub is probably still around 300 pounds. After realizing that there was no way my wife & I were going to be able to get it in the house and that my decrepit friends were also inadequate for the task, I begged assistance from a helpful Home Depot employee. He stopped over a few hours later & we managed to get it placed.

Once the sub was safely inside I removed the wrapping. Beautiful!!! I knew from past experience that Nathan would do a bang up job, but the finish still exceeded my expectations!

After I finished ogling the massive beast I hooked it up, disabled Audyssey in my AVR, and took some OmniMic measurements. The acoustics aren’t great in the location where the sub had to go, but a few AllDSP tweaks evened the response nicely. I then ran the Audyssey setup, did my usual post-Audyssey tweaks (including an 80 Hz crossover), and measured again. The response improved a bit more. My last week has been spent listening to music & movies, fine-tuning AllDSP settings, and tweaking sub gains in the AVR.

Without further ado, here’s the chart:

I turned off my 18.0 and increased the AVR’s subwoofer gain to the behemouth to run about 10 dB hot. War of the Worlds is my gold standard for subwoofer testing. I watched the entire movie. The phrase “Freaking incredible!” came to mind many times as the ground quaked, giant alien craft smashed, crashed, and incinerated their way though my home theater. My wife, who normally puts up with my sonic indiscretions, complained afterwords about things rattling on the other end of the house. My first thought was sorrow at disturbing her peace. My second thought was “Shock & Awe: Check”!

Quadzilla’s sound quality is very close to that of my 18.0. At high SPL it seems more tactile. My open floorplan HT doesn’t lend itself to pressurization, but the beast does seem to provide more of a physical sensation than the single 18-incher does. I tweaked the AllDSP settings in the 18.0 yesterday and the measured response with both subs is a slight improvement over the chart above, but nothing significant. (Really, how much better could it get?) Having the 18.0 assist makes a noticeable improvement to the overall SPL output. I’ve lowered the AllDSP Input gains on both subs and the AVR’s subwoofer gain for both subs are set at -10. Even with those low gain settings the combined output provides an SPL that’s about 10 dB hot, which is just where I like it.

I had the pleasure of meeting Nathan and Mark at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest last weekend, and also of having them to our home for dinner. They were both sleep deprived from travelling & the hectic show activities, but they were able to stay for a brief music & movie demo with the new sub. I played a selection from the Eagles Blu-ray - “Funk #49”. (It seemed like an appropriate track...) They also sat through the first half hour of Avengers 3D. Although that movie doesn’t go super deep, it still has some great LFE scenes. The new sub wasn’t optimized at that point (I had received it the day before), but it still sounded incredible. Hopefully Nathan & Mark enjoyed hearing Nathan’s creation in it’s new home. I’m certainly enjoying the heck out of it! smile.gif
post #658 of 766 Old 10-17-2013, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1553
Congrats! That is one beautiful bohemoth of a subwoofer!!
post #659 of 766 Old 10-17-2013, 08:49 PM

Wow, that's awesome! Congrats, can't imagine how strong that must sound.
post #660 of 766 Old 10-17-2013, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Absolutely awesome! Love that name Quadzilla!

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page