Funky Waves Audio - Official Thread (Prebuilt and Custom Subs) - Page 24 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-28-2014, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post

What Steve said!

Official confirmation.

But seeing as Master Funk is the designer of the subs, and I'm to this day messed up on the numbering scheme, he should chime in if he has anything to add.

I dont know. The numbering scheme makes sense to me... a XX.1 is ported, a XX.3 is passive rad, and XX.2 is dual active. Maybe thats because Nathan and I are both on the west coast, maybe our brain waves are in sync (if that means anything, but maybe its the pot fumes from ppl smokin J's like cigarettes while walkin down the street).
What Steve said is true, but what rangers said is more true. Why are 18.3's not being talked about? I got nathan designing a new MTM for me and the compliment is a 18.3 custom design. The simple audible fact is that the 18.3 is a splendid and all-encompassing sub woofer. Not the most expensive, but it is just wonderful to watch and listen to. I would love to read some reviews from some owners, and I hope to be one some day.

So Mark, I heard the 8.7P... wow. You and Nathan are good at this audio gig man. Kudos. The only speaker that can force me to respect french classical music. Its just so hard to dislike a style of music that you have always disliked when the speaker, amp, and design of all three make music that I have never liked sound soooooo right. But french classical is still garbage, haha! biggrin.gif
Good job to both of you guys... and the machinists too. wink.gif

yes, this is my tutu, and yes, funerals are appropriate places to wear them... now hand me my scepter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2014, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Yes, my mission in life is to allow people to hear really good sound.

And then everything else just doesn't cut it any more.

Ruined by Quality.

Glad you enjoyed listening to the new model.

Mark Kravchenko

Consultant and Designer

www.kravchenko-audio.com

Old 03-30-2014, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Ruined by Quality.

Glad you enjoyed listening to the new model.

Yup, that's about the size if it. Haha.

yes, this is my tutu, and yes, funerals are appropriate places to wear them... now hand me my scepter
Old 03-30-2014, 09:54 AM

I just pass it on.

I listened to a pretty good system regularly as a kid, and my uncle had Klipsch horn bass cabinets, so dynamic bass was ingrained.

At the ripe old age of 13 I decided I could build some speakers, so I ordered drivers from Radioshack for a three-way system. Then I told my Dad. He was a cabinet maker, and we had a shop at home, so it was not that big a deal to make the speakers. That cost me quite a bundle actually. I think it was three hundred dollars in 1980.

I played French horn every day for quite a few years, taught myself trumpet, trombone and tuba in order to transcribe music for a brass quintet. I eventually learned that I have perfect pitch, I hear and know what a note is, so that explained my ability to tune without using anything to guide the tuning. Good learning curve there for sure.

Playing music taught me the need for dynamic range, Brass has to be some of the most dynamic instruments around. Right next to percussion.

So there stated the quest for speakers that sound right.

I'm still travelling along that road, although there are some very favourite places on that road at this point.

What we have been offering at Funk Audio is world class. I have had the privilege to represent Nathan at the RMAF and we had some very good comments on our systems. One of the best for me was a couple that just had come out of the Wilson Audio room. They came in, asked if they could try a disc and sat down in the sweet spot. They listened attentively and told us they had just heard this in the Wilson room, and our speakers ( 8.7p ) simply blew the Wilson's out of the water. Yep, jaws on the floor all around the room.

The other little anecdote that I remember well is Nathan and the sound track to Tron. Oh boy! We had people coming from three floors away to try and figure out which room was playing that. And the following days other rooms would try playing the same track. Nathan would show them how it was supposed to be done! All on the 8.7P's. In that room we were flat to 14 hertz. And man what an experience.

Needless to say I was just a little happy.

I never did get to listen to the Wilsons, in fact I never listened to anything. All work, and some fine company in the evenings.

Mark Kravchenko

Consultant and Designer

www.kravchenko-audio.com

Old 03-30-2014, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Ruined by Quality.

That is a really great way to put it!
Old 03-30-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
That is a really great way to put it!

Thanks!

I found this picture of Nathan.

Someone asked if he ever smiles!

Well looki here!

manwithnocape likes this.

Mark Kravchenko

Consultant and Designer

www.kravchenko-audio.com

Old 04-13-2014, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi Nathan

I have a question how would FWA 18.2 (two pcs.) integrate with horn speakers going down to 180 Hz, those two of 18.2 will be in the stereo system. Do you have any photo of the separate amplifier to see how it looks. I have convinced my friend about this 18.2 subwoofer and he trust my opinion smile.gif. Thanks.

ZivkoF
Old 04-13-2014, 03:56 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Here is a really cr*ppy pic of mine. If you search threads that I've started there is one on the external amp with better pics.

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:03 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Here is the thread with better pics..

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1447491/implementing-a-third-sub-new-funk-audio-rack-amp-pics#post_22745857

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

Old 04-13-2014, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Here are a couple pics of the amp, 2.4kw X2 M1.

crackhead2k likes this.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
Old 04-14-2014, 05:35 AM

Hi pbc

Thanks for thread link with better pics and thanks Nathan for pics and for e-mail.

Best regards.

ZivkoF
Old 04-14-2014, 06:57 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

No problem, note that Nathan's would show the more up to date model (with a single IEC and a power on/off switch on the back). I have one of the original prototypes. The amp looks amazing btw, very subdued, clean etched logo on the front, runs cool and I've never heard the fan run (and have put my subs through some torture tests).

I just wish the blue light on the front was dimmable, and may buy some tinting tape for that at some point! smile.gif

Quote:

Old 04-14-2014, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 37
With the current firmware the blue screen can be set to turn off when your not useing the knob and buttons.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
Old 04-23-2014, 12:38 PM

OK. Short and sweet.

Just ordered an 18.0SE from Mr. Nathan!

I'll let you know what I think when it comes. Timed the order just right as he'll be done approximately by Monday. Planets came together!

Can't tell you how much I have needed a new sub for the last 10 years, but my darling wife and I made babies, so there was never a good time to run the sub, especially at night. That being no longer a problem, my flappy, crappy, "600 watt", 20 year old energy 12" sub is shedding it's foam surround. Everything else I have is solid and high quality....but the sub timing didn't work. Thank heavens I was introduced to Funk by 'user' Anthonywoy, before making a stupid decision elsewhere. I'm not saying other subs are stupid decisions, but at the time, knowing little about subs, I was digging a cute little sunfire sub. Which is a fine sub, but for my massive space, it would have sounded like a pea on a drum - and lack needed low end extension.

I'll keep you all up to date.
Cheers
Old 04-29-2014, 05:38 PM

Liked: 20
Congrats on the purchase! I just received my pair of double 18.0s last week (approximately 8 months from order to delivery for those of you that have been paying attention to this thread) and am currently pairing them to my 18.0s. Makes for 6 18inch woofers plus 15.4kW of pure awesomeness. I haven't had a chance to really take the new setup to its limits yet but so far its handled everything I've thrown at it. Unfortunately I will probably be parting with my pair of 18.0s because of the limitations of where I can place them and my wife's dissatisfaction of their intrusion into the living space....but I'm gonna enjoy the ride while I can!
Old 04-30-2014, 08:43 PM

6 X 18.0's????

Sweet mother of pearl. I'm pretty sure you will have foundation damage before you ever get them to their limits. You must have what....A 12db + gain running all 6 effortlessly?. You know how it's impossible to keep your wife happy 100% of the time? Well....I imagine getting your setup maxed would be even harder. I mean, you're a 1%'er in terms of commercial subs output already. I just can't process 6 of these. Also...I can't believe it took 6 subs for her to show sufficient dissatisfaction...amazing wife!

...You my friend, are the luckiest Husband on earth.....EVAR!

Now write a book fast and divulge your secrets!!! You have any idea how many men are suffering with one sub. Either way, I'll be first in line smile.gif

Also, please note: Send your subs to me ASAP for immediate destruction. Your lucky day, I won't charge you a dime.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:45 PM

PS:

I need a picture of your setup, or it didn't happen... smile.gif
Old 05-02-2014, 08:51 AM

The boy in the picture is about 43 inches tall. My 18.0s have been relegated to the corner for now but I did not notice any appreciable drop in SPL after re-doing the calibration.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 152
That is one big azz sub, lol. Nice system!

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
Old 05-02-2014, 02:39 PM

Wow. Ya, hard to put in perspective until you see a pic like that. Gorgeous sub and you need 6 for sure!!! .Some fights are worth fighting. wink.gif
Old 05-02-2014, 05:34 PM

I have certainly lost the battle for 6. The battle for 5 is pretty winable at this point though, lol. The sound is still incredible. With my original 18.0s, they struggled in only handful of scenes to keep up (incredible hulk, Olympus has fallen, httyd). With the doubles, this doesn't seem to be an issue no matter how hard I push.

I haven't measured yet, but with the original 18.0s I got over 100db at 10hz and 123db above 16hz. This new setup feels subjectively more improved.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:41 PM

Just heard from my wife that my 18.0SE showed up. Cannot wait! Don't think I'll get to set it up until tomorrow. But then....I am rewiring and repositioning all of my equipment.

My epson 5030UBe showed up last week to replace my old epson 6500UB and the week before snagged an Anthem MRX 710 to replace an aging Denon...none of that is set up yet. So I have some work to do smile.gif

It's a nice little performance bump all around. Finally it will all be up to snuff with my speakers.

Anyhow. Should be good.

I'll keep you posted, or vanish into audio/HT nervana as so many often do after getting their gear. wink.gif
Old 06-23-2014, 03:47 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I guess Majister disappeared...

Anyways I ordered a pair of SPEAKERS from Nathan
It's not a 6.1P or 8.2P but something much more interesting .... something interesting like a Quadzilla
I sent so many long questions that I wondered if I annoyed the poor guy! And Nathan definitely has the patience to answer all of them! And a great 2 hour demo

Were is Mark these days?
My first visit 2 years ago was mainly to see his subs. This time was the speakers and partially because I wanted to listen to the subs again.
Anyways I was at Nathan's place last week for a demo. Seems like a giant TSAD in development is coming

The 8.2Ps and 6.1P sound incredible!
The sonic signature is similar. I listened to each probably about 1hr.
Now I'm not really good at describing sound. But the music is very natural, detailed, and possibly the closest thing to "reference", I cannot really imagine if you can get much better then this. In my opinion after listening to other equipment from the hifi center and Yana demo shops with much more expensive equipment....ie. Simaudio/Mclntosh/Classe......Nathan's is better.... hands down. And note...

I listen to mostly vocals from il Divo, Jackie Evancho, Tenors etc.... In terms of being able to produce the midrange and upper-end to me... imo is beyond what the B&W 800 Series can do, Cantons would do better then the B&W but is not on the same level as Nathan's. I cannot imagine how much my system would improve when my speakers some in.

Compared to my current speakers, the Energy RC-70s, it would blow it out of the water.

The Dual opposed x2 15" that Nathan made for another customer also did a wonderful job.
For quite sometime I sat behind Nathan's Computer playing back as much music as I can. And it sounded good from there too, of course, better on the couch.

I haven't listened to Raal tweeters for quite awhile, so I cannot really compare his planar against it. At 600$ ea it's pretty expensive. Im sure Nathan's is much better bang for the buck with similar performance in terms of sound alone.

Also to note, the dispersion is very wide with Nathan's Planars, nothing like the BG Neo 8s which has a narrow dispersion in the higher frequencies. Of course you have to be on axis vertically since it's a planar.
One thing I have noticed much of the time is more comparisons for tweeters when the most important part is the mid ... FA drivers reproduces midrange very well in the 6.1P and 8.2P, I would consider them to be in the upper tier meaning in the top 5% of what I know and have seen implemented. But I think it is mostly from Nathan integration of drivers that make the largest difference. Let alone AllDSP active crossover and that Class D Amp that measures phenomenally with more detail then what Emotiva provides for those who have used their product.

1. Raw performance
2. Accuracy
3. Integration
4. Customer Service

Nathan has all that!

My only complaint is...... Why does he have to live so god dam far from me?!

Last edited by crackhead2k; 06-23-2014 at 05:11 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Were is Mark these days?
Hiding.

And designing drivers for Clients.

Speakers for Nathan.

Mark Kravchenko

Consultant and Designer

www.kravchenko-audio.com

Old 06-23-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
Hiding.

And designing drivers for Clients.

Speakers for Nathan.
Okay, spill the beans. What speakers?
What do I not know?

And I just sent in an order too
Old 06-23-2014, 06:42 PM

You don't know what I know.

And an order can be modified.

We are doing some very high end drivers to match our high end subs.

A new 6.5 neo version, a new planar, and a new offering in the subwoofer range that is a real game changer.

But like I said.

And it's up to Master Funk to explain anything he wants to.

I just design things and make trouble for him from far, far away.

Mark Kravchenko

Consultant and Designer

www.kravchenko-audio.com

Old 06-24-2014, 02:07 AM

Quote:
That is why I want to know what you know

As for the order, I think it is setup the way we might want it. So there won't be any changes.

What kind of driver improvement? Efficiency and power? or further refinement on reproduction of music?

Is the 6.5" the radiating area? So possibly lower crossover capability and slightly higher efficiency? Would it sound similar to the current line? Or more accurate?

And for the subwoofer range for the new offering, Do you plan to pass CEA2010 at 97Db @ 10 Hz on a single driver (Reference to 2M groundplane RMS? )

Tell me what you know So "we" will know what you know.

You guys are making trouble for me by my making all these interesting products that I want to buy
Old 06-24-2014, 07:02 AM

Higher efficiency, lower distortion.

Therefore more accurate.

As for 6.5 inch.

For many, many years the nominal sizes have described the O.D. of the driver basket.

But, what really makes a difference is the drivers Sd specification.

Our new driver has an Sd of 145cm^2 in a 7 inch basket.

Pretty honking big that size of basket. There are few drivers that are even close.

And there are very few that have been designed with as much attention to keeping the distortion as low as we have been shooting for.

It's all in the details.

You have a small quick company that can pay attention to the things that really matter. And the willingness to put the money into the aspects of performance that make a great name for us. Did I mention we have no marketing department?

Mark Kravchenko

Consultant and Designer

www.kravchenko-audio.com

Old 06-25-2014, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Higher efficiency, lower distortion.

Therefore more accurate.
But say -3db of Nathan's current driver's limit should still be just as clean right?

Quote:
Our new driver has an Sd of 145cm^2 in a 7 inch basket.
I don't think I saw that ones unless they are part of the 8.2P, If they are different how do they compare to those ones?

The distortion for Funk's Drivers definitely low indeed, I noticed it the moment I played 1 track. Must that motor and having those speakers powered is a great way to get consistent performance! That and the sensitivity is high. I do not like the idea of passives anymore, having the extra room w/o the external amp and an amp that has a bunch measurements on performance charts.

And yup a small quick company is definitely the best, no need to press "1" to get to customer support and still run into a robot a lot of the time. I like the idea of being able to reach Nathan than get stuck and it seems to me that I'm sometimes calling him unnecessarily >.<"....I also got a question for you but I'll PM you.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:28 AM

Donna Worry be Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackhead2k View Post
But say -3db of Nathan's current driver's limit should still be just as clean right?

I don't think I saw that ones unless they are part of the 8.2P, If they are different how do they compare to those ones?

The distortion for Funk's Drivers definitely low indeed, I noticed it the moment I played 1 track. Must that motor and having those speakers powered is a great way to get consistent performance! That and the sensitivity is high. I do not like the idea of passives anymore, having the extra room w/o the external amp and an amp that has a bunch measurements on performance charts.

And yup a small quick company is definitely the best, no need to press "1" to get to customer support and still run into a robot a lot of the time. I like the idea of being able to reach Nathan than get stuck and it seems to me that I'm sometimes calling him unnecessarily >.<"....I also got a question for you but I'll PM you.
In your application it would make very little difference in the end. Unless you were desiring a quick end to your hearing.

Mark Kravchenko

Consultant and Designer

www.kravchenko-audio.com