AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Waves Audio - Official Thread (Prebuilt and Custom Subs)

127K views 765 replies 122 participants last post by  BIGBEAR2004 
#1 ·
 http://www.funkywaves.net/index.cfm%5C

Quote:
Funky Waves has been building and installing custom audio systems since 2002. We use the latest and best technology available to design and build our systems. All of our enclosures are handcrafted with the highest quality materials, and epoxies available. We have experience working with many materials including Wood, MDF, Composites, and Metals. We have also worked with many finishing products including Rubber Coatings, Automotive Lacquers, Melamine Paints, Real Wood Veneers, Clear Coated Aluminum, and more. We build and install custom home theater speakers, subwoofers, and surrounds, built to meet your needs and exacting standards. We also build custom automotive subwoofer enclosures. If you can imagine it we have either done it or can do it.

Incredible build quality, top notch driver choices - Beautiful Veneers

What you want - how you want it...

See less See more
#602 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnocape  /t/1283555/funky-waves-audio-official-thread-prebuilt-and-custom-subs/570#post_23519556

i would vote for a single 18.3 or dual 18.1's. funk audio is about refined listening, balance, and the pure enjoyment of hifi in music and theater.... not loud mess.

The FV15HP uses direct-servo technology, I think you would have a hard time finding anyone to say anything bad about how it sounds! It's about as far away from a "loud mess" as possible.

Again I'm not putting down the 18.0, I think Nathan makes really nice subs and I'm sure they sound great. But let's be honest here if Mr.Hatcher really is considering dual FV15HP's verse a single 18.0 its not even a fair fight. That would be light Floyd Mayweather going up against Mike Tyson in his prime. At 20hz a single 18.0 has 103.4db output, dual FV15HP's would have 112db! And let's not even get started on the advantages of duals verse a single sub.

With Mr.Hatcher having a budget of only 6 grand his money is much better spent on two FV15HP's rather then a single 18.0.

Sorry I'm really not trying to come off like I don't like Funk subs, I'm just being realistic about comparing a 18.0 to dual FV15HP's that Mr.Hatcher has been considering.

#603 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher  /t/1283555/funky-waves-audio-official-thread-prebuilt-and-custom-subs/570#post_23519581

What about the new Funk Audio 18.2 that's up for Pre-release purchase?

I think the passive version of the 18.2 is almost $7000. I would think this sub would be targeted towards someone that might be considering something like a Paradigm Signature Sub 2.

#604 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15  /t/1283555/funky-waves-audio-official-thread-prebuilt-and-custom-subs/600#post_23519660

The FV15HP uses direct-servo technology, I think you would have a hard time finding anyone to say anything bad about how it sounds! It's about as far away from a "loud mess" as possible.

Again I'm not putting down the 18.0, I think Nathan makes really nice subs and I'm sure they sound great. But let's be honest here if Mr.Hatcher really is considering dual FV15HP's verse a single 18.0 its not even a fair fight. That would be light Floyd Mayweather going up against Mike Tyson in his prime. At 20hz a single 18.0 has 103.4db output, dual FV15HP's would have 112db! And let's not even get started on the advantages of duals verse a single sub.

With Mr.Hatcher having a budget of only 6 grand his money is much better spent on two FV15HP's rather then a single 18.0.

Sorry I'm really not trying to come off like I don't like Funk subs, I'm just being realistic about comparing a 18.0 to dual FV15HP's that Mr.Hatcher has been considering.
i wasn't referring to the FV15. i was pointing out the difference between funk and some other products. i have heard the FV15HP, and although it does have output, i personally don't like how it delivers the sound. i certainty wouldn't say that it's messy although it has a nasty 20hz bump that is tiresome and needs to be eq'ed out, and there is the port noise at high listening levels (lots of port noise) and became noticeable to me at around 100db. at mid levels its ok, but fails to "reveal" sound in the source material. messy? no, veiled? yes.

if loud is the order of the day, then the FV15HP is the sub; but if clarity and output is what is desired, then Funk is it.

#605 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hatcher  /t/1283555/funky-waves-audio-official-thread-prebuilt-and-custom-subs/570#post_23519581

What about the new Funk Audio 18.2 that's up for Pre-release purchase?
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnocape  /t/1283555/funky-waves-audio-official-thread-prebuilt-and-custom-subs/510#post_23277092

18.2 - the bass was so intense, it literally made me slightly nauseated. i would put it on par with dual 18.3's + dual 18.0's... which i have heard. the 18.2 violates it's listeners, it imposes bass upon you, and if you say "no thanks", it tells you to shut the f*** up. it's like getting pistol whipped with a howitzer.

honestly, the 18.2 is too much for me.

#606 ·
In a room that size rather than focusing on more output at 20hz alone(with room gain a ported 20hz unit is likely to end up giving you a peak 20-30hz that you would want to EQ out anyway, so more headroom in that range would be wasted once Eq'ed) you would be much better off with a sealed sub that will provide a good match to the room gain and provide much lower extension. In that size room 10hz shouldn't be a problem with the 18.0, with solid balanced high output right from 10hz up.

The 18.2 is geared for those that want massive output in the smallest space possible, already our 18.0 competes with the SUB2, and the 18.2 offers aprox the output(depending on frequency and power level 1 or 2) of two 18.0's in nearly the same overall size box. To accomplish this it costs. However we can just as easily go the other way, if size is not an issue for only ~1.5x the cost of the 18.0, as a custom order we can provide a pair of larger boxes with modified TSAD18 drivers and a single 2.4kw amp to power them, this would provide the output of two 18.0's under ~30hz, and ~1.5x the output above 30hz.

#607 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnocape  /t/1283555/funky-waves-audio-official-thread-prebuilt-and-custom-subs/600#post_23519763

i wasn't referring to the FV15. i was pointing out the difference between funk and some other products. i have heard the FV15HP, and although it does have output, i personally don't like how it delivers the sound. i certainty wouldn't say that it's messy although it has a nasty 20hz bump that is tiresome and needs to be eq'ed out, and there is the port noise at high listening levels (lots of port noise) and became noticeable to me at around 100db. at mid levels its ok, but fails to "reveal" sound in the source material. messy? no, veiled? yes.

if loud is the order of the day, then the FV15HP is the sub; but if clarity and output is what is desired, then Funk is it.

Which other subs were you referring too? Also I'm curious at how you were able to get lots of port noise from it? I'm guessing when you were hearing lots of port noise it was in single port mode? I only ask because from all the reading up on the FV15HP I did, I was really only able to find one reference of people hearing port noise. And that was at one of the GTG meets while running super low sweeps.

Other then that most pretty much swear there's no port noise coming from it while under normal use.

Manwithnocape if you wanted to PM me a reply that would be great, I just really don't want to talk about the FV15HP anymore in the Funk thread.

#608 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15  /t/1283555/funky-waves-audio-official-thread-prebuilt-and-custom-subs/600#post_23519660

Again I'm not putting down the 18.0, I think Nathan makes really nice subs and I'm sure they sound great. But let's be honest here if Mr.Hatcher really is considering dual FV15HP's verse a single 18.0 its not even a fair fight.

Perhaps, but since Mr. Hatcher mentioned he's willing to add a second 18.0 down the road, that potentially changes things a bit. With a second 18.0, output capability in the 20Hz-120Hz range should effectively become a non-factor in a 2000 cubic foot space, even if a quartet of FV15HPs could deliver more dB in the range. OTOH, the 18.0's relative strengths get a boost. Since it isn't hindered by the steep roll off of a bass reflex alignment, a single 18.0 can deliver 10Hz output that's only ~3dB off the monster Paradigm Sub 2, whereas the FV15HP understandably can't muster a passing score that low regardless of tune. Add a second 18.0 as well as a bit of low end gain, and suddenly you've got yourself pretty serious 10Hz performance and potential for useful single digit extension. What's more, you're getting this in two nicely finished cabinets versus a comparably priced quartet of black boxes.

#609 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15  /t/1283555/funky-waves-audio-official-thread-prebuilt-and-custom-subs/600#post_23519887

I was really only able to find one reference of people hearing port noise.

FWIW, it is also mentioned in Josh Ricci's notes from testing the one port mode of the FV15HP:
Quote:
Unfortunately the single 3" port can't cope with the output of the 15" driver and compresses a lot while also contributing a lot of wind noise at the highest output levels.
I also suspect judging by his commentary on the SubM Benchmark thread that the Rythmik isn't truly delivering a "clean" 98.5dB of output at 12Hz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15  /t/1283555/funky-waves-audio-official-thread-prebuilt-and-custom-subs/600#post_23519887

Other then that most pretty much swear there's no port noise coming from it while under normal use.
Probably not, but then again a sub like the Hsu STF-2 would be fine my "normal" use.

#610 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15  /t/1283555/funky-waves-audio-official-thread-prebuilt-and-custom-subs/600#post_23519688

I think the passive version of the 18.2 is almost $7000. I would think this sub would be targeted towards someone that might be considering something like a Paradigm Signature Sub 2.

Ouch, that's definitely out of my price range. I bet they are awesome though, and you get what you pay for and all, but I can't swing that much $$$.

#611 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Waves  /t/1283555/funky-waves-audio-official-thread-prebuilt-and-custom-subs/600#post_23519807

In a room that size rather than focusing on more output at 20hz alone(with room gain a ported 20hz unit is likely to end up giving you a peak 20-30hz that you would want to EQ out anyway, so more headroom in that range would be wasted once Eq'ed) you would be much better off with a sealed sub that will provide a good match to the room gain and provide much lower extension. In that size room 10hz shouldn't be a problem with the 18.0, with solid balanced high output right from 10hz up.

The 18.2 is geared for those that want massive output in the smallest space possible, already our 18.0 competes with the SUB2, and the 18.2 offers aprox the output(depending on frequency and power level 1 or 2) of two 18.0's in nearly the same overall size box. To accomplish this it costs. However we can just as easily go the other way, if size is not an issue for only ~1.5x the cost of the 18.0, as a custom order we can provide a pair of larger boxes with modified TSAD18 drivers and a single 2.4kw amp to power them, this would provide the output of two 18.0's under ~30hz, and ~1.5x the output above 30hz.

Funky Waves,

PM sent...

#614 ·
Very handsome sub!

#616 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonywoy  /t/1283555/funky-waves-audio-official-thread-prebuilt-and-custom-subs/600#post_23545243

My thoughts exactly

Finishing is top notch, not sure who else even does anything this good.

Now when are you bringing it by my place so we can see how it compares to my sub like we talked about?....I'm really curious to hear it.

#618 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonywoy  /t/1283555/funky-waves-audio-official-thread-prebuilt-and-custom-subs/600#post_23545429

I want to so some testing and a review first. My next month is crazy busy, but I think late Aug or after would work. Would like to hear your speakers as well.

Yeah I'm pretty tied up till September actually, so any time after that. For sure I'd love to show off the JTR's to you! If you've never heard horns before I will warn you that it's a different sound at first, at least to me it was. But now that i'm use to how they sound I love them.

#619 ·
Nathan recently recommended some revisions to the AllDSP settings in my 18.0. Since his updates made a dramatic improvement below 17 Hz, I thought I'd post the results:

Since the AllDSP update, this is the first time that I've seen significant cone excursions while playing tracks like Bass, I Love You. All the music tracks that I've listened to post-update sound great. I'm looking forward to hearing some bass-heavy flicks with the revised settings!

I just ordered a custom sub from Nathan to keep the 18.0 company. The new one will have four TSAD18v1 drivers in an enclosure 24" W x 40" D x 46" H (4800 W and AllDSP built-in, Quilted Bubinga finish). Will post info on the beast after it arrives. Can't wait!

#621 ·
I had asked Nathan about burl walnut, but apparently that's hard to source in the size we need. Quilted Bubinga has a similar appearance & is easier to obtain, so that's what I'm going with. Just waiting for a sample with a couple different stain options so I can choose the color.

#623 ·
The room is 14’ x 16’, but it has a vaulted ceiling and it’s open to the rest of the house on the right side. It's a dual-purpose family room / home theater.

I have three subs, but I disconnected the other two prior to that measurement. Since Nathan's update, plus a little fine-tuning I did this morning, I see that my Velodyne HGS-15 just can't keep up with the others below ~ 12 Hz. I've decided to leave that one powered down since it seems to hinder the combined response.

My other sub is a Funk Audio 15.0 x2 (dual LMSR-15). Nathan's update made a dramatic improvement to the bottom end on that one as well, but it'll go to an audiophile friend after my new behemoth arrives from Halfmoon Bay. Five 18" TSAD drivers in my room should be sufficient, I believe...

#624 ·
Thought I'd get this thread back on top, lol. henrich3, after listening to your monster build I got to talking to Nathan again. So, not to be outdone (or I guess still outdone by you but keeping it a little closer) I'm having the Funk build me what he calls double 18.0s. Its basically how it sounds. An 18.0 stacked on top of another 18.0 (2 TSADv1 drivers with 2 x 2.4kW) all in the same enclosure. And to make it a little more ridiculous I'm getting a pair of these to go along with my pair of 18.0s.

The pair that I have now are plenty capable except when I play the big bass movies of TIH, WOTW and HTTYD. Everything else plays without a hiccup but these 3 movies exhaust my subs when I get my receiver to about -5 MV. Can't have that now can I?

So to sum it up.....I'm looking at 6 TSADv1 drivers being powered by 14,400 watts of Funky goodness. Realistically I'll probably sell at least on of the 18.0s since this may be a little overkill but in the meantime this should be lots of fun!

#625 ·
Sweeeet!!! I certainly hope you'll be posting pics, impressions, and FR charts after you get 'em setup. What finish are you going with?

Try X-Men: First Class as another sub killer flick after your double 18.0's are tweaked. Lots of great ULF in that one.

#626 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by club968  /t/1283555/funky-waves-audio-official-thread-prebuilt-and-custom-subs/600#post_23650905

Thought I'd get this thread back on top, lol. henrich3, after listening to your monster build I got to talking to Nathan again. So, not to be outdone (or I guess still outdone by you but keeping it a little closer) I'm having the Funk build me what he calls double 18.0s. Its basically how it sounds. An 18.0 stacked on top of another 18.0 (2 TSADv1 drivers with 2 x 2.4kW) all in the same enclosure. And to make it a little more ridiculous I'm getting a pair of these to go along with my pair of 18.0s.

The pair that I have now are plenty capable except when I play the big bass movies of TIH, WOTW and HTTYD. Everything else plays without a hiccup but these 3 movies exhaust my subs when I get my receiver to about -5 MV. Can't have that now can I?

So to sum it up.....I'm looking at 6 TSADv1 drivers being powered by 14,400 watts of Funky goodness. Realistically I'll probably sell at least on of the 18.0s since this may be a little overkill but in the meantime this should be lots of fun!

Wouldn't that be the same as going with a 18.3 Funk sub?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.