Funky Waves Audio - Official Thread (Prebuilt and Custom Subs) - Page 26 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #751 of 766 Old 09-07-2014, 06:29 PM
Member
 
crackhead2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada, Vancouver - Around the Tricities
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
30-40k
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
As much as I liked the Funk sub Nathan brought over I would have an extremely had time paying 30-40k for a single sub.


Can we get a shot of the cone?
21.0 - It wouldn't cost 30-40K just 4800, 5700 for it. As stated earlier in post 737.
So I assume there maybe a SE version for the budget guy

And as much as you liked that Sub which is actually the 18.2. It's mine now

Equipment List: Preamp/Processor: Sherbourn PT-7030 [] Speakers: Funk Audio - Line Array(2kW),18.2 Subwoofer (9.6kW)[]Projector: Epson 5020ub []Screen: Elunevision Reference 150"
PC/HTPC: Intel Q6600 [] GTX670 [] 4 GB Ram [] Windows 8.1 x64
Cabling: Interconnects: HDMI - Redmere Cable 50 ft
Audio Cable: XLR - From Orange County Speaker - 50ft

Last edited by crackhead2k; 09-07-2014 at 06:34 PM.
crackhead2k is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #752 of 766 Old 09-07-2014, 08:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Funky Waves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Halfmoon Bay BC, Canada
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackhead2k View Post
21.0 - It wouldn't cost 30-40K just 4800, 5700 for it. As stated earlier in post 737.
That is correct.
If you want some perspective, here is a quick sketch of the driver for the 21.0 on the right(4800/5700), and what could be the 21" with 8" coil for the 21.2 on the left
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21 inch drivers.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	252042  

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
Funky Waves is offline  
post #753 of 766 Old 09-07-2014, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,453
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Can we see a picture of the cone Nathan?
jbrown15 is online now  
post #754 of 766 Old 09-07-2014, 09:43 PM
Member
 
crackhead2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada, Vancouver - Around the Tricities
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Can we see a picture of the cone Nathan?
I think he mentioned in another page, here's the quote

Quote:
Cone isn't ready yet, need to apply carbon fiber to the cone, that picture is just a mockup. I will post pictures as we go.
I hope they do a proper name change to this thread Has been Funky Waves for too long

What do you think?
Funk Audio - Official Thread (Prebuilt and Custom Subs)

Or Even

Funk Audio - Official Thread

Should be nice

Equipment List: Preamp/Processor: Sherbourn PT-7030 [] Speakers: Funk Audio - Line Array(2kW),18.2 Subwoofer (9.6kW)[]Projector: Epson 5020ub []Screen: Elunevision Reference 150"
PC/HTPC: Intel Q6600 [] GTX670 [] 4 GB Ram [] Windows 8.1 x64
Cabling: Interconnects: HDMI - Redmere Cable 50 ft
Audio Cable: XLR - From Orange County Speaker - 50ft
crackhead2k is offline  
post #755 of 766 Old 09-07-2014, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,453
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Oh missed that post about the cone, cool I can't wait to see the finished product!
jbrown15 is online now  
post #756 of 766 Old 09-12-2014, 01:46 AM
Member
 
crackhead2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada, Vancouver - Around the Tricities
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 39
New Thread Located here:
Official Funk Audio Thread

Equipment List: Preamp/Processor: Sherbourn PT-7030 [] Speakers: Funk Audio - Line Array(2kW),18.2 Subwoofer (9.6kW)[]Projector: Epson 5020ub []Screen: Elunevision Reference 150"
PC/HTPC: Intel Q6600 [] GTX670 [] 4 GB Ram [] Windows 8.1 x64
Cabling: Interconnects: HDMI - Redmere Cable 50 ft
Audio Cable: XLR - From Orange County Speaker - 50ft
crackhead2k is offline  
post #757 of 766 Old 09-30-2014, 03:36 PM
Member
 
McLuvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I know this thread has been recently moved but my question is to BIGBEAR2004 if he ever got two of the new 18.0C's. I just came across the 18.0C updates and they look very good so I was wondering how they perform. Also, if anyone else has the new version, can you comment on the amount of heat the new 1000W pate amp puts out? My room is small and can get quite stuffy in the summer time so component heat output can be an issue for me.
McLuvin is offline  
post #758 of 766 Old 09-30-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 6,453
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post
I know this thread has been recently moved but my question is to BIGBEAR2004 if he ever got two of the new 18.0C's. I just came across the 18.0C updates and they look very good so I was wondering how they perform. Also, if anyone else has the new version, can you comment on the amount of heat the new 1000W pate amp puts out? My room is small and can get quite stuffy in the summer time so component heat output can be an issue for me.

I would imagine that the new 18.0C would perform in between the old 18.0C and the current 18.0 sub. Data-bass.com has the measured numbers on both, http://www.data-bass.com/systems I would think it would be in between those two subs.
jbrown15 is online now  
post #759 of 766 Old 09-30-2014, 03:49 PM
Member
 
McLuvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
I would imagine that the new 18.0C would perform in between the old 18.0C and the current 18.0 sub. Data-bass.com has the measured numbers on both, http://www.data-bass.com/systems I would think it would be in between those two subs.
Yes, totally agree and was thinking the same thing but was just looking for some feedback from those that have them. Since it is a relatively new update there is probably not too many in the wild yet.

Going to have any subs (outside of what you already have) at your GTG or just evaluating all tops?

Last edited by McLuvin; 09-30-2014 at 04:01 PM.
McLuvin is offline  
post #760 of 766 Old 09-30-2014, 04:10 PM
Senior Member
 
mwmkravchenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Perth Ontario Canada
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post
Also, if anyone else has the new version, can you comment on the amount of heat the new 1000W pate amp puts out? My room is small and can get quite stuffy in the summer time so component heat output can be an issue for me.
Very little heat actually.

The amplifiers are 93%. So about as much heat as a 60 watt incandescent light bulb.

And that is at full pin.


So to get a true figure of normal use. Fairly loud usage will be in the 10 to 20 watt area. 7% of 20 watts is 1.4 watts into heat.

Additional heat load to your room is almost none.

Mark Kravchenko

 

Consultant and Designer

 

www.kravchenko-audio.com

mwmkravchenko is offline  
post #761 of 766 Old 09-30-2014, 04:52 PM
Member
 
McLuvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
Very little heat actually.

The amplifiers are 93%. So about as much heat as a 60 watt incandescent light bulb.

And that is at full pin.


So to get a true figure of normal use. Fairly loud usage will be in the 10 to 20 watt area. 7% of 20 watts is 1.4 watts into heat.

Additional heat load to your room is almost none.

Thanks Mark... that's very good to hear. Out of curiosity, who makes the modules? I thought I read Powersoft somewhere for the 18.0 and was curious if you used the same manufacturer for the 1000W plate.
McLuvin is offline  
post #762 of 766 Old 09-30-2014, 05:12 PM
Senior Member
 
mwmkravchenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Perth Ontario Canada
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post
Thanks Mark... that's very good to hear. Out of curiosity, who makes the modules? I thought I read Powersoft somewhere for the 18.0 and was curious if you used the same manufacturer for the 1000W plate.
Pascal is the manufacturer of the power amps used.

Mark Kravchenko

 

Consultant and Designer

 

www.kravchenko-audio.com

mwmkravchenko is offline  
post #763 of 766 Old 10-07-2014, 08:14 AM
Member
 
McLuvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anybody notice the price increase again this week on Funk's web site? The 18.0c was around $2245 last week and it jumped to $2447 this week.That sub alone has increased almost $600 in a little over a years time frame. I noticed all of the other subs prices were increased as well. I understand the need to increase prices over time but this seems a little excessive... I really hope the trend doesn't continue at this rate as they may start to be priced out of my budget.
Billy p likes this.
McLuvin is offline  
post #764 of 766 Old 10-07-2014, 09:53 AM
Member
 
BIGBEAR2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post
Anybody notice the price increase again this week on Funk's web site? The 18.0c was around $2245 last week and it jumped to $2447 this week.That sub alone has increased almost $600 in a little over a years time frame. I noticed all of the other subs prices were increased as well. I understand the need to increase prices over time but this seems a little excessive... I really hope the trend doesn't continue at this rate as they may start to be priced out of my budget.
The 18.0c was gone through a massive transformation and is a complete different animal now. With the massive improvements Nathan has made, a price increase was inevitable. The other subs in comparison to last years+ models have had significant improvements as well.

The new Official Funk Audio Thread is below. I am surprised that this old one is not locked.
Official Funk Audio Thread


Last edited by BIGBEAR2004; 10-07-2014 at 09:54 PM.
BIGBEAR2004 is offline  
post #765 of 766 Old 10-07-2014, 11:06 AM
Member
 
McLuvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEAR2004 View Post
The 18.0c was gone through a massive transformation and is complete different animal now. With the massive improvements Nathan has made, a price increase was inevitable. The other subs in comparison to last years+ models have had significant improvements as well.

The new Official Funk Audio Thread is below. I am surprised that this old one is not locked.
Official Funk Audio Thread
Yes, I understand that but from what I could gather, the price last week ($2245) already included the all of the updates. The previous price was around $1800 which was for the previous driver and amp. So from what I can tell, the new updated 18.0c has had two price increases in a very short period of time. I could be wrong but it does seem a bit much.

I only posted on this thread because you mentioned the new 18.0C at the beginning of August which is fairly recent and the new thread doesn't have any mention of it at all so I was trying to keep my post as close to the source as possible.

Have you received yours yet? I would love to know how the new updates have affected the performance. We can move the discussion over to the new thread if that helps.
McLuvin is offline  
post #766 of 766 Old 10-07-2014, 12:08 PM
Member
 
BIGBEAR2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post
Yes, I understand that but from what I could gather, the price last week ($2245) already included the all of the updates. The previous price was around $1800 which was for the previous driver and amp. So from what I can tell, the new updated 18.0c has had two price increases in a very short period of time. I could be wrong but it does seem a bit much.

I only posted on this thread because you mentioned the new 18.0C at the beginning of August which is fairly recent and the new thread doesn't have any mention of it at all so I was trying to keep my post as close to the source as possible.

Have you received yours yet? I would love to know how the new updates have affected the performance. We can move the discussion over to the new thread if that helps.
I believe the original 18.0C had one price increase, and with the release of the new 18.0C v2, that price increase was carried over for a limited time.

Nathan is attending the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, so I should have it shipped and received shortly after he returns.

As soon as I get the subs, I will post pictures and my first impression of them on the new thread.
audiofan1 likes this.


Last edited by BIGBEAR2004; 10-07-2014 at 12:13 PM.
BIGBEAR2004 is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off