Funky Waves Audio - Official Thread (Prebuilt and Custom Subs) - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #61 of 731 Old 02-01-2011, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have to echo everyone's praises of Funkywaves. Even though I have never bought an enclosure from him he helped me out immensely when I first got into DIY. I did buy some PR's from him and he really helped to finalize my design.

Nathan's great to deal with and his design's are killer.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 731 Old 02-02-2011, 05:43 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Actually, if there was any way for Nathan to incorporate the MiniDSP into his boxes, that would be a great add on feature for $200ish as the amp looks to be just "meat and potatoes" IIRC, i.e., no controls on it outside of the gain knob.

Nathan - any user reviews on that amp yet?

Penn - hook the darn thing up already!

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #63 of 731 Old 02-03-2011, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

Hey Nathan,

So do the 2000 watt plate amps have any form of adjustable boost for a sealed 4cuft LMS or is it just something the user adds with a Bassis, DCX or MiniDSP on his own?

What's a good boost range for the LMS in a 4cuft sealed with that much power anyway?

Right now the 2kw amp does not have any controls other than level, but we are working on integrating the MiniDSP (Balanced) into it as an option. Boost range is very dependant on room acoustics but anywhere from 0-6db in the 10-25hz range is usually sufficient to get flat response to ~10-15hz

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
post #64 of 731 Old 02-03-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

Actually, if there was any way for Nathan to incorporate the MiniDSP into his boxes, that would be a great add on feature for $200ish as the amp looks to be just "meat and potatoes" IIRC, i.e., no controls on it outside of the gain knob.

Nathan - any user reviews on that amp yet?

Penn - hook the darn thing up already!

Sorry I sometimes suck at getting things done...too 'other' things going one

Im back in Canada this weekend for the superbowl.

I have 3 amps (including my Hpex AS100.2 amps), 3 new speaker builds, 2 more subwoofers on my to do list

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #65 of 731 Old 02-12-2011, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Thought I'd post this here, as I started my own build thread in the DIY area, but this deserves to be shown in the public forum to the masses as well....

I contracted to have Funky Waves to build a custom box for me for an 18" LMS driver based on the 18.0 design. I didn't need an on board amp as I already have a 4000w Crest 8002, and I already have an LMS driver and SMS-1 for EQ. Box Size - Net internal volume after bracing and driver displacement (lms5400) is right on 98L (3.46cuf). Nathan suggested 3/4" roundover all the way around the top and bottom, which was an added cost and I went for it....

• Box Size - roughly 22" wide 22.5" high 22" deep.
  • Multi layered low resonance walls.
  • 1.5" thick top, bottom, and front panels
  • Magnet's under veneer for grill if I choose to make one.
  • Wood Veneer and hardwood 3/4 round over edges is Padauk.
  • Padauk is not stained - just clear coat finish to achieve this color.
  • Top Veneer was changed to run front to back when asked by Nathan.

Here are some pics of the build along the way that I felt needed to be shared for anyone considering a more custom solution with the best in quality and performance that can't or doesn't have the time for DIY....

Enjoy...

Nathan @ Funky Waves - Thank you for doing such an amazing job and the great support all the way through the very fast build - it was great to work with you. Communication throughout the entire build was constant and quick with questions about how I would like things done along the way based off the different wood sample choices I received in the mail... I look forward to receiving it....

I highly recommend Funky Waves to anyone considering a custom product such as this....... They deserve the recognition.

Forum Members should read through my build thread for questions that you may have that have already been answered - HERE
post #66 of 731 Old 02-12-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
^^ gorgeous color.

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
My humble entertainment room
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417652/midwest...
post #67 of 731 Old 06-16-2011, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Well,

Placed an order with Nathan about a week ago. I am doing the same sub as Warpdrv, same cabinet shape, but red stained Cherry. I am also going with the new plate amplifier that Nathan is working on.

I had Nathan ship me the driver (putting this together at my house, no thanks to moving 150lbs + down my stairs assembled) and man is that driver impressive. Pictures do not do it justice, its almost as big as my 22 month old daughter.

Anyways, I will be updating the thread with pictures when Nathan sends em to me and of course the finished product.

Theater design at Audio Video Interiors of Chicago, Inc.

Right across from the Oakbrook Center Mall.

Noah B.

post #68 of 731 Old 06-16-2011, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I'm ordering two custom passive sealed subs with 15" drivers from Nathan, which will be powered by a Behringer EP4000. The order will be placed at the end of the month and I'm really excited! I have absolutely no woodworking skills, so this is the closest I'll ever get to DIY. The pricing is incredibly reasonable as well. If you live in Canada, and don't want to deal with shipping from our southern comrades, give Nathan a call or send an email. He responds quickly and is really easy to deal with.

David Budo
post #69 of 731 Old 06-17-2011, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4spdnb View Post

Well,

Placed an order with Nathan about a week ago. I am doing the same sub as Warpdrv, same cabinet shape, but red stained Cherry. I am also going with the new plate amplifier that Nathan is working on.

I had Nathan ship me the driver (putting this together at my house, no thanks to moving 150lbs + down my stairs assembled) and man is that driver impressive. Pictures do not do it justice, its almost as big as my 22 month old daughter.

Anyways, I will be updating the thread with pictures when Nathan sends em to me and of course the finished product.

Your really going to love that sub.... your in a unique position to compare it directly to the Sub25, which I hope I'll be able to join you on that.....

Can't say enough great things about Nathans work...
post #70 of 731 Old 06-17-2011, 08:30 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4spdnb View Post
Well,

Says a lot given you can probably get quite the deal on a PDigm Sub 15 or Sub 25 ...

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #71 of 731 Old 06-17-2011, 08:37 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Just wanted to chime in here. Had the chance to listen to Billyp's FW12.0 sub with the AV12X driver and 500 watt BASH amp recently. We had 3 other subs with us (PB13 and dual VTF15Hs). The FW sub was much smaller than the other two, but IMO it had incredible sound quality, and in the large room it was (4500 cubes), I can't say that I felt much if anything lacking vs the single PB13 or single VTF15 sub. I.e., the room was so large that no single sub was really pressurizing the room at all. But the build quality of the sub was incredible, it was very solid to the touch, great rounded corners and perfect black(?) stain on it. Plate amp was flush, and the steel grill started to grow on my as the time went on. The port was also fitted perfectly (though I found it odd the inside of the port walls felt like sandpaper as I'm used to the smooth feeling of the ones in the PB13 - different materials I guess!).

The AV12X driver IMO also sounded spectacular, in particular on a couple DTS 5.1 music scenes we played (Roy Orbison's Pretty Woman and The Eagle's Hotel California). Great work Nathan!

Quote:

post #72 of 731 Old 06-17-2011, 04:01 PM

Hello everyone,

Funky Waves Audio will be making some big changes in the up coming months, including an entirely new website, new products and even a new name.

We would like to take into consideration your thoughts, please feel free to tell us what you would like to see on the new site, products or services you would like us to offer, and opinions on the new name we are considering "Funk Audio".

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
post #73 of 731 Old 06-17-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:

Just wanted to chime in here. Had the chance to listen to Billyp's FW12.0 sub with the AV12X driver and 500 watt BASH amp recently. We had 3 other subs with us (PB13 and dual VTF15Hs). The FW sub was much smaller than the other two, but IMO it had incredible sound quality, and in the large room it was (4500 cubes), I can't say that I felt much if anything lacking vs the single PB13 or single VTF15 sub. I.e., the room was so large that no single sub was really pressurizing the room at all. But the build quality of the sub was incredible, it was very solid to the touch, great rounded corners and perfect black(?) stain on it. Plate amp was flush, and the steel grill started to grow on my as the time went on. The port was also fitted perfectly (though I found it odd the inside of the port walls felt like sandpaper as I'm used to the smooth feeling of the ones in the PB13 - different materials I guess!).

The AV12X driver IMO also sounded spectacular, in particular on a couple DTS 5.1 music scenes we played (Roy Orbison's Pretty Woman and The Eagle's Hotel California). Great work Nathan!

That is impressive. The FW12.0 vs the PB13 in 4500 cubes - anyone take any DB reading by chance?
post #74 of 731 Old 06-17-2011, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Waves View Post

Hello everyone,

Funky Waves Audio will be making some big changes in the up coming months, including an entirely new website, new products and even a new name.

We would like to take into consideration your thoughts, please feel free to tell us what you would like to see on the new site, products or services you would like us to offer, and opinions on the new name we are considering "Funk Audio".

I personally like Funky Waves, but I can see where it might not draw the most positive attention from newcomers.

Funk Audio is good.

David Budo
post #75 of 731 Old 06-17-2011, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I think you need more pictures of the different finishes that you can off. Possibly more pictures of finished products. For example I wonder what the the FW 18.0 would look like with different black based finishes. The more pics the merrier (everybody loves looking at subwoofer pics, and I also think it would definitely help business). Good luck.
post #76 of 731 Old 06-17-2011, 05:22 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shftup View Post

That is impressive. The FW12.0 vs the PB13 in 4500 cubes - anyone take any DB reading by chance?

No, wasn't much point as my Mobile Pre sound card was fried so we couldn't run REW. Was more a "fun" GTG than a "scientific level and FR matched" one. Tried to match them as best as possible using the SMS-1 and the AVR test tones, but that was a crap shoot at best.

The reality is neither of the subs could properly do justice to the 4500 cubes, so above 30hz IMO is what matters at that point and the FW sub with the AV12X driver did really well there.

Quote:

post #77 of 731 Old 06-21-2011, 12:54 PM

Liked: 10
Hey Funky Waves
I love the look of the LMS sub. Are you able to expand on the DSP functionality of the new amp that you are waiting on? Given the power rating on this new amp, is it still safe to assume that it will be 120v?

Thanks

Jono2channel
post #78 of 731 Old 06-21-2011, 02:39 PM

The new amp is rated at 2400w RMS 4000 peak. It is universal voltage so 120/220/240. The DSP will be provided by AllDSP. For now their regular programming will be used, so it will have 20 bands PEQ(selectable; bell, high shelf, low shelf, and notch) high and low pass crossovers, delay, and limiter.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
post #79 of 731 Old 06-21-2011, 03:12 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Nathan - will there still be a fan in the new amp?

Quote:

post #80 of 731 Old 06-22-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:

Nathan - will there still be a fan in the new amp?

The external heat sink will be passively cooled, no fans. There will be one 1.5" low speed fan inside to ventilate the inside, but it will only come on when the unit gets hot internally, and even then only needs to operate at very low speed, it will be completely inaudible.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
post #81 of 731 Old 06-22-2011, 02:14 PM

Nathan, I can't help but feel like I have found my perfect sub with I see the 18.0, especially with the new amp. But...I am a diy guy at heart, and I wish to build my own cabinet. Do you, would you, will you consider selling any of your subs as kits?

Jono2channel.
post #82 of 731 Old 06-23-2011, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Where are you located at jono....?

I'm sure Nathan would be more then happy to sell you the amp, but if your in the USA, you may just want to get the driver straight from PE to save on the shipping from Canada...
post #83 of 731 Old 06-23-2011, 08:37 AM

I live close enough to Funky Waves that if I did not have small children and wife that is completely uninterested in audio, I would definitely go and see Nathan's operation. I guess then that the only thing left to do is to wait for that massive driver to go on sale at Parts-Express. Cool.
post #84 of 731 Old 06-23-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Just placed my order for my two sealed subs!

Can't wait!

David Budo
post #85 of 731 Old 06-26-2011, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

Just placed my order for my two sealed subs!

Can't wait!

Which ones did you get? curious..
post #86 of 731 Old 06-27-2011, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartoys View Post

Which ones did you get? curious..

Nothing wrong with a little curiosity.

I ordered two custom made sealed subs with the same 15" driver they use in the FW 15.3. Anyone know which driver that is?

The enclosures will be H22" x W17 x D15" and passive. I'm powering them with a EP4000 being modded by FW (fan mod).

I told Nathan my goal was to have a lot of midbass slam, with solid output to 20hz. If I get solid output below that, AWESOME! They'll be crossed over at 80hz to my 2010 JTR Triple 8HTs, which I love!

3 and a half more weeks to wait...

David Budo
post #87 of 731 Old 06-27-2011, 02:12 PM

Sounds very nice, make sure to hit us with some pics and impressions once they're up and running.
post #88 of 731 Old 06-28-2011, 03:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Will do. I hope more people, Canadian's in particular, look to FW for their subwoofer needs. With all the extra cash going into shipping, border fees, customs, taxes, brokerage, etc..., this is an easy way to get exactly what you want with moere of your money going towards the product itself. That's why I decided to contact them.

David Budo
post #89 of 731 Old 07-20-2011, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Guess what showed up today? The new box and new plate amp from Nathan. Great job on shipping, box was flawless as were the contents inside. Cannot say enough good things about Nathan's work, the finish is beautiful.

I will be getting this put together soon, it's nice to work for an A/V store, but right now I wish I was at home getting this up and running.

I will have pics shortly.

Theater design at Audio Video Interiors of Chicago, Inc.

Right across from the Oakbrook Center Mall.

Noah B.

post #90 of 731 Old 07-20-2011, 02:04 PM

Noah, I cant wait for your pics/review.....
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page