Funky Waves Audio - Official Thread (Prebuilt and Custom Subs) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #181 of 766 Old 12-18-2011, 01:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat2950 View Post

Details? All I see is "1 day and counting"...

i dont know but im gonna keep my eyes peeled tomorrow.

yes, this is my tutu, and yes, funerals are appropriate places to wear them... now hand me my scepter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 766 Old 12-18-2011, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all

I have been seriously considering the svsound sb13 plus. I like the size factor, I am okay with the power of the amp, and I love the "fiddle" ability with the room contour, double PEQ and such. Anyone care to guess what the Funk Audio answer to the PB13 plus might be? Can Nathan out do SVSound for the same money? I figure that to get the svs sub to my door, (Toronto to Vancouver) with shipping and taxes is going to be about $1450.

Jonathan Krueger
post #183 of 766 Old 12-18-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono2channel View Post

Hey all

I have been seriously considering the svsound sb13 plus. I like the size factor, I am okay with the power of the amp, and I love the "fiddle" ability with the room contour, double PEQ and such. Anyone care to guess what the Funk Audio answer to the PB13 plus might be? Can Nathan out do SVSound for the same money? I figure that to get the svs sub to my door, (Toronto to Vancouver) with shipping and taxes is going to be about $1450.

Jonathan Krueger

that is a good price. i know they are about 2G's online. his answer to that would probably be a 15". he has them on sale for $1000 right now. (delivered)
http://www.funkaudio.ca/Specials.html

yes, this is my tutu, and yes, funerals are appropriate places to wear them... now hand me my scepter
post #184 of 766 Old 12-18-2011, 12:17 PM

The price on the SB13 plus is the same "state side". I don't have room for the PB13... too big. I am wishing for champagne sound on a beer budget. Seems like there is an 800 watt plate amp with DSP that I will have to ask Nathan about. The Bash 500 just seems so...common.

I don't have enough money to be a snob.

I can't help it though.

Jonathan
post #185 of 766 Old 12-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I am interested in the 15.3 with upgraded amp on sale. Anyone heard it? Is this a new offering? It looks to be a pretty good value.
post #186 of 766 Old 12-19-2011, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Some great deals from funk audio
post #187 of 766 Old 12-20-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shftup View Post

Some great deals from funk audio

i should have waited and got the 18.3 such a good deal.

post #188 of 766 Old 12-30-2011, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

I am going with two of there 15.3 in Macassar Ebony using my old "Stryke Audio" HE15
LL
post #189 of 766 Old 12-31-2011, 01:45 PM

really interesting.... http://www.funkaudio.ca/The_dB_Meter/The_dB_Meter.html
changed my mind... its not really interesting. it makes me want to see graphs and numbers.

post #190 of 766 Old 12-31-2011, 02:43 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Was the price of that driver released?

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #191 of 766 Old 12-31-2011, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The current listed prices on the new website for the 18.0 and 18.3, are with our new TSAD18v1 driver, and passives in the 18.3.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
post #192 of 766 Old 01-11-2012, 07:25 PM

Hi all, just emailed through the website for more info on the 15 inch sub sale. Anyone built through the sale? Any info on the finished product and how it sounded? Based on reviews, I'm sure it sounds great. Just wondering how deep it digs and pics if available. Thanks!
post #193 of 766 Old 01-13-2012, 04:21 PM

Liked: 15
I purchased the 15.3 Nathan has a picture of on his web site. It has an older amp, the ED LT1300.

Yes it digs deep
Yes it is accurate
yes it is fun.
Eric

FW 15.3 PSB, Now where did I put my beer?
post #194 of 766 Old 01-18-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Is Funk Waves (Funk Audio) still running those promotional "specials" deals on their website, specifically the "Made to order 12 inch subwoofer" special for $500? If so, does that include the amplifier or is the sub passive?

http://www.funkaudio.ca/Specials.html

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #195 of 766 Old 01-18-2012, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Well, it says the sale ends January 31st. Regarding the 12" made to order subs, it says they are starting at $500 shipped. Since the amplifier is optional, I would assume the basic configuration is going to be passive. Dunno how much he would want for the different amps.

post #196 of 766 Old 01-18-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by its phillip View Post

Well, it says the sale ends January 31st. Regarding the 12" made to order subs, it says they are starting at $500 shipped. Since the amplifier is optional, I would assume the basic configuration is going to be passive. Dunno how much he would want for the different amps.

I figured as much, but since the deals were still on the website I was hoping (for a friend) they were still in effect. Oh well. Thank you.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #197 of 766 Old 01-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not sure if we're on the same page. January 31st hasn't come yet - it's only the 18th! I would hope the sale is still active

post #198 of 766 Old 01-18-2012, 12:29 PM

The sale is still active, however as of last couple days we are now out of the 12" and 15" offerings.

We have added one new item to the sale, and lowered the price on the 18.3, and the Pro5100 driver option for the 18.0

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
post #199 of 766 Old 01-18-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by its phillip View Post

Definitely look into it. All indications are it would be a great deal on a great sub.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #200 of 766 Old 01-18-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Waves View Post

The sale is still active, however as of last couple days we are now out of the 12" and 15" offerings.

We have added one new item to the sale, and lowered the price on the 18.3, and the Pro5100 driver option for the 18.0

Thank you for the response.

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #201 of 766 Old 02-10-2012, 06:37 PM

funk audio is currently building me a dual opposed with 12" tc sounds drivers. 20" cube in chili cherry walnut finish. had intended to go diy, but with the specials he was offering, i just couldn't pass up what i expect to be an incredibly quality piece.

nathan's been great to work with, and saying that i'm feverishly anticipating the end product is an understatement
post #202 of 766 Old 02-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Let us know how you like your new toy, DarthBuck!

I, too, am waiting for a Funk Audio sub (dual 15" TC Sounds drivers, Java Bamboo finish). I'll post a photo & an OmniMic chart after it arrives. Probably about a month to wait however...
post #203 of 766 Old 03-11-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnocape View Post

the thing that kills me, is how he can set up the system in your house, for the room you've chosen, over the internet. if that isn't super awesome then nothing is. a pro set up online would CHT set up your system online? plus the warranty is totally killer.

Wow..........that is great service! BTW, how far is Half Moon Bay from Vancouver, BC? I'm an eight hour drive to Vancouver.

Quote:

ive heard the TSAD vs the LMS. in my opinion, the TSAD has effortless bass, is cleaner sounding above 40Hz, and warmer below 40Hz, quicker response, and better detail. its also cheaper then the LMS.

I'd like to hear for myself.............I've been a very happy DD owner and desire clean, distortionless bass. I've heard the LMS 5400 Ultra.............clean as a DD-18 with much more output! That is an understatement!

With the quality issues I'm reading with regard to the LMS drivers..........the TSAD is an option, but one listening session with an LMS Ultra is hard to get out of my mind.
post #204 of 766 Old 03-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 74

Description:
Custom subwoofer, 15.0 style enclosure 36 high. Java Bamboo veneer on sides and back, 3/4 Java Bamboo plywood on top, bottom, and front. Dual TC Sounds LMS-R 15 drivers, Funk Audio 2.4 kW amplifier.

Setup:
My Funk Audio 15.0 x2 sub arrived in sunny Colorado last Friday. The shipping crate would have made the ancient Egyptians proud. The cardboard crate was lined with plywood and the sub was mummified in layers of foam and cling wrap. The shipping weight was 175 pounds (confirmed by my back). Once the sub was extracted from it's cocoon it was time to admire Nathan's handiwork. The bamboo finish turned out very well and the curves on the 15.0 model are a nice aesthetic touch over the traditional box sub. Nathan ran the wood grain vertically on the vertical surfaces and front to back on the top & bottom at my request. This is not a sub that you'll want to hide behind a planter!

I hooked the sub up to my receiver and played a few bass heavy songs to get a feel for the sound quality. My first impression was that it sounded a bit boomy compared to my Velodyne HGS-15. I brought out my OmniMic and ran some frequency sweeps. OmniMic reported some good low frequency extension but there was a significant boost around 40 Hz and a dropout at 52 Hz. Moving the sub to the back of the room eliminated the dropout and smoothed the response curve a bit but the 40 Hz region was still too strong. It wasn't really an option to leave the sub in the back of the room where it blocked access to the wet bar so I returned it to the front.

The 2400 W. amp is devoid of any knobs, switches, or indicator lights. The sophistication contained within is only apparent if you are running the AllControl software available from the AllDSP website. I installed the software on my laptop and tried connecting the sub using a standard USB cable with a USB A-to-B adapter but Windows didn't recognize that a device had been connected. A retry using a dedicated USB A-to-B cable gave the comforting Installing device driver message.

While the AllDSP website has instructions for upgrading the firmware in their DSP modules I was disappointed that they didn't also provide instructions on how to tweak the parametric EQ. In the spirit of no guts - no glory I decided to upgrade the DSP firmware & give it a go. The firmware upgrade went without a hitch. I power cycled the sub and watched the OmniMic chart while playing a frequency sweep so I could see what was happening as I made changes in AllControl. Here's the OmniMic graph with no EQ applied:

I moved the PEQ adjustment points to cover the 20 - 80 Hz range. The software won't allow you tweak frequencies below 20 Hz. The 80 Hz drop off in the OmniMic charts is due to my receiver's 80 Hz crossover point and the amp driving my main speakers was turned off during the sub measurements. Changes in AllControl are immediately applied to the DSP. Adjust the gain or Q and the OmniMic graph will display the changes within seconds:

Listening:
Post-tweak, the boominess was gone. Music sounded great with excellent low frequency extension. The Funk blended perfectly with my Paradigm S8's and C5 without calling attention to itself. My ultimate goal however was to get both the Funk and the Velodyne to play nice together. I shifted gears from tweaking the Funk to checking out the combined response of both subs. Although each sub measured respectably flat on its own, the combined response curve was a bit less impressive. Since Audyssey XT won't EQ multiple subs separately I connected them both to a Y cable off my receiver's Sub 1 output. Audyssey then did a good job of smoothing out the problem areas. I went into the speaker settings after the Audyssey run and manually fixed a few uninspired changes that Audyssey had made (mains back to small, crossovers to 80 Hz, raise the sub gain).

Post-Audyssey with both subs online music again sounded great. I ran through a few sub-intensive movies on Blu-ray (War of the Worlds, The Matrix, Star Trek, Super 8). The low frequencies were abundant & controlled. The WotW pod emergence scene was particularly impressive.

While I do enjoy listening to exploding things, most of my listening is low volume classical music. I've had poor experiences in the past with the auto-on function in sub amps. Either the amp won't power on during low volume music sessions or the amp won't power off after the receiver powers down. I was pleased to hear the Funk outputting low frequencies even when the input signal strength was very low. Another gremlin I've experienced has been a hiss or hum when a sub is powered on but it has no input signal. None of that here. If there's no input the Funk is dead quiet.

Conclusion:
The Funk has excellent extension down low, sounds great even at high SPL's, the built-in PEQ lets you balance the output or configure a house curve, and it looks swell. I'd also like to add that it was a pleasure dealing with Nathan. He was responsive when I had questions and even emailed a few pictures to me during the build process. I am very happy with Nathan's craftsmanship!
post #205 of 766 Old 03-15-2012, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Took a look today at their site, but just 18's available now and for $2K plus. I'll have to wait until there are some $1000k offerings again.
post #206 of 766 Old 03-15-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Awesome review, henrich3! Thanks for the detail and frequency response charts. That subwoofer is simply gorgeous! If I were buying a commercial subwoofer (or two) it would be from Funk Audio. Period. Enjoy!

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #207 of 766 Old 03-15-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

I'll have to wait until there are some $1000k offerings again.

$1000k? It had better be a pretty good sub to cost a million dollars!
post #208 of 766 Old 03-15-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

$1000k? It had better be a pretty good sub to cost a million dollars!

We could do it, and yes it would be.

Quote:

Took a look today at their site, but just 18's available now and for $2K plus. I'll have to wait until there are some $1000k offerings again.

We are working on a few new products with a wider/lower price range, here are the estimated prices for our upcoming products, all prices are shipped to the US, for Canadian customers they will cost less;
15.0(BASH500 amplifier) $1270, ready to order now, just working on the product page.

15.3(800watt DSP amplifier) $1750, ready to order now, just working on the product page.

18.0 budget option, we are not sure where to put this and are open to suggestions. It is basically a 15.0 enclosure with an 18" driver upgrade and the 800 watt DSP amp, $1750, avaiable to order now on prerelease special.

18.1 ported design using the same driver as the 18.0 budget option, and 800 watt DSP amp, $1995, avaiable to order now on prerelease special.

8.3, very compact high performance subwoofer, using an 8" in house driver and passives, the 800 watt DSP amplifier, 10" wide 11" deep 14" high, still in development, $1250est, would like to get some feedback on interest in this product before moving to far along with it.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
post #209 of 766 Old 03-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

8.3, very compact high performance subwoofer, using an 8" in house driver and passives, the 800 watt DSP amplifier, 10" wide 11" deep 14" high, still in development, $1250est, would like to get some feedback on interest in this product before moving to far along with it.

I'm interested, but can't afford it

post #210 of 766 Old 03-15-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

We could do it, and yes it would be.

We are working on a few new products with a wider/lower price range, here are the estimated prices for our upcoming products, all prices are shipped to the US, for Canadian customers they will cost less;
15.0(BASH500 amplifier) $1270, ready to order now, just working on the product page.

15.3(800watt DSP amplifier) $1750, ready to order now, just working on the product page.

18.0 budget option, we are not sure where to put this and are open to suggestions. It is basically a 15.0 enclosure with an 18" driver upgrade and the 800 watt DSP amp, $1750, avaiable to order now on prerelease special.

18.1 ported design using the same driver as the 18.0 budget option, and 800 watt DSP amp, $1995, avaiable to order now on prerelease special.

Forgive me for asking, but the 15.0 is the 18.0 just smaller? (sorry, I couldn't find it on your website)
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page