Having problems with 3 week old Definitive Technology Prosub1000--loud buzzing noise - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-22-2010, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased a new Prosub1000 by Definitive Technology at a local Best Buy. It's the sub which was in my price-range, and thought it got good reviews. Was hoping to get some technical advice before calling Definitive Technology.

First, here's my setup:

Denon AVR (purchased in 2005) w/ no HDMI inputs, no automatic speaker setup
Def Tech ProCinema1000 center channel
Boston Acoustics bookshelf left and right speakers wired to AVR
Def Tech ProCinema1000 left and right surround speakers wired to Rocketfish rear-speaker wireless kit.
Def Tech ProCinema1000 ProSub using LFE output to AVR LFE input
Blu-rays are played on a Playstation 3 with optical audio out line to AVR

I was initially running just the center channel and two front speakers for the longest time. 3 weeks ago, I purchased the sub and two surround satellite speakers. I installed them, and everything was working perfectly. The sound coming from the sub was amazing. The sub is self-powered, and plugged into a simple AC power surge protected bar, which is plugged into the wall outlet.

I just tried to play Iron Man 2 on Blu-ray, and powered up my AVR and rear speakers. All of a sudden, my sub started a loud buzzing noise. A few things I've tried:

1) disconnected the LFE cable from the sub to see if it was a faulty cable. Buzzing was still there.

2) Changed the AC source by plugging the sub into a different outlet. Buzzing is still there.

3) Changed the location/placement of the sub to rule out electromagnetic interference. Buzzing-- Still there.

4) Plugged the sub into the dedicated power management filter box used to power all my home theater equipment. Buzzing is still there.

5) Checked the fuse in the back of the sub--doesn't look blown.

Soooooo...does anyone have any clues before I check into my warranty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-22-2010, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkibear View Post

I purchased a new Prosub1000 by Definitive Technology at a local Best Buy. It's the sub which was in my price-range, and thought it got good reviews. Was hoping to get some technical advice before calling Definitive Technology.

First, here's my setup:

Denon AVR (purchased in 2005) w/ no HDMI inputs, no automatic speaker setup
Def Tech ProCinema1000 center channel
Boston Acoustics bookshelf left and right speakers wired to AVR
Def Tech ProCinema1000 left and right surround speakers wired to Rocketfish rear-speaker wireless kit.
Def Tech ProCinema1000 ProSub using LFE output to AVR LFE input
Blu-rays are played on a Playstation 3 with optical audio out line to AVR

I was initially running just the center channel and two front speakers for the longest time. 3 weeks ago, I purchased the sub and two surround satellite speakers. I installed them, and everything was working perfectly. The sound coming from the sub was amazing. The sub is self-powered, and plugged into a simple AC power surge protected bar, which is plugged into the wall outlet.

I just tried to play Iron Man 2 on Blu-ray, and powered up my AVR and rear speakers. All of a sudden, my sub started a loud buzzing noise. A few things I've tried:

1) disconnected the LFE cable from the sub to see if it was a faulty cable. Buzzing was still there.

2) Changed the AC source by plugging the sub into a different outlet. Buzzing is still there.

3) Changed the location/placement of the sub to rule out electromagnetic interference. Buzzing-- Still there.

4) Plugged the sub into the dedicated power management filter box used to power all my home theater equipment. Buzzing is still there.

5) Checked the fuse in the back of the sub--doesn't look blown.

Soooooo...does anyone have any clues before I check into my warranty?

well you have a little bit of time to take it back and exchange it at best buy if you bought it locally, i'd personally do that first before anything else - - too much time troubleshooting other things may kill exchange time.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-22-2010, 07:55 PM

Are you saying you are getting a 60hz hum?
or
are you getting a buzz sound from the cabnet?
post #4 of 12 Old 10-22-2010, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTennis View Post

Are you saying you are getting a 60hz hum?
or
are you getting a buzz sound from the cabnet?

Well, I'm fairly novice at home theater, so I'm not sure what the "cabinet" of the sub is, and what a 60hz hum is either. All I know is that when I plug the AC power cord into the sub (even with the LFE cable not connected), there is a loud buzzing and crackling noise coming from the front of the sub. When I try playing a movie with the sub connected through the LFE, the bass coming from the sub is either non-existent or distorted because of the buzzing.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-23-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:

Well, I'm fairly novice at home theater, so I'm not sure what the "cabinet" of the sub is, and what a 60hz hum is either. All I know is that when I plug the AC power cord into the sub (even with the LFE cable not connected), there is a loud buzzing and crackling noise coming from the front of the sub. When I try playing a movie with the sub connected through the LFE, the bass coming from the sub is either non-existent or distorted because of the buzzing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf6Bq...eature=related
In the above link you can hear what a 60hz hum sounds like. Is this what you are hearing?
If so, it seems like the amp is for a better word “blown” and the speaker might not be far behind.
Hopefully you got it local and can return it for a replacement.

Have you had any thunderstorms recently?
post #6 of 12 Old 10-23-2010, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTennis View Post

In the above link you can hear what a 60hz hum sounds like. Is this what you are hearing?
If so, it seems like the amp is for a better word blown and the speaker might not be far behind.
Hopefully you got it local and can return it for a replacement.

Have you had any thunderstorms recently?

Actually, I believe we did have some lightning storms last week, but I'm not sure because I was away on vacation. The sub was still plugged into the surge protector while I was away. Could it be possible it got blown from a lightning storm? I guess I can upload a video clip of the buzzing noise to YouTube and post the link here. It'll have to be on Monday though.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-23-2010, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

So after listening to the YouTube video of the 60hz hum, I'm pretty sure my sub is making a similar noise, but it just has a different tone (maybe because the speaker is set in the sub case rather than sitting as a bare speaker like in the video clip). So what does the 60hz hum represent?
post #8 of 12 Old 10-23-2010, 07:53 PM

60hz is frequency that AC voltage out of your power outlet oscillates. Turn the volume all the way down on the sub, then put your ear on back side the sub’s cabinet. On a normal unit you will hear the hum of the transformer and that is 60hz. From what you describe, it sounds like that is what you are hearing. Something went on the amp. Could be an output transistor has shorted. Lightning strike or just a latent failure sense it is very new. Have you taken it back to Best Buy?
post #9 of 12 Old 10-23-2010, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

From what I heard, the buzzing is coming from the front side of the sub cabinet where the speaker is, and not the backside where the transformer should be located. I'm planning on bringing the unit back to best buy on Monday, but I'm not sure what the return policy is for their magnolia theater items...
post #10 of 12 Old 10-23-2010, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

From what I heard, the buzzing is coming from the front side of the sub cabinet where the speaker is, and not the backside where the transformer should be located. I'm planning on bringing the unit back to best buy on Monday, but I'm not sure what the return policy is for their magnolia theater items...

The Magnolia return policy is the same as the rest of the store. 30 days. No questions asked.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-23-2010, 09:04 PM

Yes, I understand. I was just giving you a way to hear what 60hz hum sounds like. The sound I was asking you to listen for at the rear is normal. Any transfer of that hum to the front speaker is not normal.
I believe they have a 30 day return policy. Let us know if they give you a hassle. If they ask you to ship it back to DT service, I would be disappointed.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Being that you are still within 30 days,

just tell them you want a new one.....

Should be no problem......
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List