"I am Legion, for we are many" CS 18.2 in the Legion of Boom first impression review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 153 Old 10-23-2010, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Shipping:

Unit was shipped to my home within 4 days. There was not tailgate service so I had to carry this monstrosity on my shoulders from the truck up to apartment. It's a good thing I have a first floor unit and it's a DAMN good thing I am an audio enthusiast who lifts heavy ass weights from time to time.

I must say the packaging job for this subwoofer was top notch. It was double boxed along with cushion panels protecting the top and bottom of the sub and restraining it from sliding around during shipping.

Placement:

This unit though heavy is fairly easily to move around. I placed mine in the front, left corner of my living room with one woofer facing the rear wall and one woofer facing the living room itself.

Initial Impressions:

When I first fired up my sub I was pleased at the amount of output from such a low gain setting. I had the gain set at 3 and the sub could easily fill up my room at low volume settings. I have my volume setting on my Onkyo TX-NR 1007 set to absolute so the sub began taking control of my room at 15.

And that's out of the overall volume setting scale which is from 1 to 88. I have the signal strength on a full 12 of 12. I also have the sensitivity set to it's highest setting which is +10db. I played with the gain dial up to 7 and witnessed no clipping however I am not playing this sub at uber high levels due to my current living situation. I would also like to state this sub sounded superb right out of the box with no eq.

Very articulate, tight, and controlled bass immediately upon startup. After a few hours of tinkering I settled with the gain on level 4 to best match my speakers along eq changes which consisted with the frequency set down to 18, level dial set to +6 and and bandwith set to 1. Phase set to 90 degrees.

Music:

I ran this sub through a gauntlet of music from 9 p.m last night to 7 a.m. this morning consisting of R & B, jazz, dance, blues, rap, orchestra, classical, new age, alternative, lounge singing, and country. Though my emphasis is always strongly on R & B music. This sub handled all genres of music with the greatest of ease.

It handled the deep basslines of my favorite R and B songs easily. It breezed through the deepest bass notes on my rap songs and pipe organ heavy orchestra music. It also was very articulate and light on it's feet with all fast paced dance songs I downloaded.

Here is a sample of some of the songs this sub EXCELLED with last night.

Dianna Ross-Missing You
Lisa Stansfield-All Woman
Bobby Caldwell-My Flame
The Human League-Human
Anita Baker-Body and Soul
Mariah Carey-My All
Smokey Robinson-Cruisin
George Michael-Careless Whisper, Father Figure
Kem-Why would you stay
Bee Gees Too Much Heaven

I must admit this sub was BRILLIANT on Mariah Carey's "My All". It was very subtle and articulate during quieter sequences of this song. Only proving a deep, bassline to the entire track. However when called upon it could dig deep on a moments notice when the track opens up to a lower melody during the first verse of the song when Mariah looks from her boat to the light tower. It was amazing how easily this sub transfers from a light touch to a deep thunderous note quickly with no overhang.

Movies:

I did a quick demo of Saving Private Ryan this morning. The sub handles the gunshots with great articulation. Quick and violent. It was also the same with explosions which sent quick, violent soundwaves throughout my living room then were instantly silenced with no overhang. This sub is not boomy at all during HT. Action sequences are very controlled and precise.

I am used to using large, ported subs which are very boomy and have the richochet effect from large explosions so my ears are still getting used to the more precise sound of a large, sealed sub during HT. However this sub is monster which I dared not go over level 22 on my volume knob since it was already shaking the walls and windows in my living room.

Final thoughts of my first impression for the CS 18.2:

All in all, I'd say this is one of the best buys of my short audio career. My best being my speakers. This sub blends perfectly with my mains and surrounds which is not easy to do since my speakers have overpowered all of the lower cost, less powerful subs I've tried to pair them with. I run all of my speakers on full range and this sub on double bass mode.

The overall effect is clear highs, a very powerful and detailed midrange which creates a lush soundstage in my room, along with my speaker's twelve 15's and the CS sub's dual 18's emitting very powerful, controlled, and precise low end.

I also did A/B comparisons between my trusty Bagend Infrasub-18 and the CS 18.2 and I have to say the CS 18.2 matches the Bagend perfectly with articulation with music however it does not seem to be going as deep on some notes as my Bagend sub. I know this sub has to have more time to break in so I am sure this is going to change withing a few weeks time. With home theater there is no comparison the Chase sub crushes the Bagend's meager output and steep rollof during HT easily.

So my buyer for my Bagend sub called this afternoon to setup a pickup time. Before I called him back I thought to myself "why not hear how both subs sound together for the heck of it", so I plugged both of them up an hour ago and put on Tearri Marie's "Hunt For You" and all I can say is HOLY SH!T! They blended together PERFECTLY! The CS sub's deep, articulate, and high output blends seamlessly into the Bagend's UBER low, articulate, and subtle output for a truly deep and clear sound. Also all of my speakers are rated down to 24hz which further complements these two subs. My system now sound's like Barry White on Steroids.

I cancelled the sale so my pocketbook is now going to take a hit because I was going to use the funds from the Bagend to pay for half of the cost of this sub. But hearing these two together has made feel something deep and passionate. I've never heard this type of room shaking yet delicate and articulate bass from a budget setup such as mine.

I went back and played some of the aformentioned songs with both subs turned off and I must say that the overall sound is not too far off from what I'm hearing with both subs on. And that is not a knock against my subs because both are high quality subs. But that is giving props to CV for making speakers that can keep up with such large subs so easily in the lowend dept. My speakers will shake my walls at volume setting 10 out of 88. Thanks to this efficiency I have been sitting here listening to these subs and my speakers at .5(one click) out of 88 and the bass is pronounced and clear at this setting from all of my components.

I must say the CS 18.2 is a fitting endpiece to my Legion of Boom. My speakers have finally found their match for a price I could afford. I wager the CS 18.2 is the best bang for buck sub released in 2010. It really is that special.

If you are on the fence about this sub I would definitely take the plunge and purchase it. It is a master in both the worlds of music and HT. You will not need to buy a separate "mid bass" sub to pair with this unit. It handles both mid and deep bass flawlessly. Craigsub has indeed created something special with this unit. And I would expect no less from someone who has heard and tested hundreds of subs. His knowledge from his past experiences with so many subs has definitely come to fruition with the CS 18.2's well rounded performance at such an affordable price point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 153 Old 10-23-2010, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Setup pics
LL
LL
LL
post #3 of 153 Old 10-23-2010, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

More pics

This is the CS 18.2 next to one of my CLS-215 speakers. Keep in mind I have six of these in my setup.
LL
LL
LL
post #4 of 153 Old 10-23-2010, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Comparison between CS 18.2 and Bagend Infrasub -18
LL
LL
LL
post #5 of 153 Old 10-23-2010, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Did you play any music for men?
post #6 of 153 Old 10-23-2010, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Lmfao. I kill myself.

Seriously though, congrats on the new toy. I can't get the pics to Load on the iPad. I guess I'll have to use an actual computer. Sounds like CS has themselves a real winner.

Question, did u run your room eq with the onkyo? Where do you have this thing placed?
post #7 of 153 Old 10-23-2010, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

Did you play any music for men?

I tried to send you a pm for a link to it's raining men however you stated you no longer had it saved on youtube.
post #8 of 153 Old 10-23-2010, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

CS 18.2 packaging was the best I've ever seen for a subwoofer. However it was also one of the toughest unpacking jobs I've ever had. Took me over an hour to free the beast from it's cardboard cave.

I even had to use my heavy duty box opener.
LL
post #9 of 153 Old 10-23-2010, 02:54 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 208
All that displacement in an APARTMENT? Damn!

Your review seems a bit rushed. I'd be interested in your perceptions after extended listening.

The song list is... unique.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #10 of 153 Old 10-23-2010, 02:57 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts View Post

CS 18.2 packaging was the best I've ever seen for a subwoofer. However it was also one of the toughest unpacking jobs I've ever had. Took me over an hour to free the beast from it's cardboard cave.

I even had to use my heavy duty box opener.

Wait a minute....you carry the thing in on your shoulder, but it takes you over an hour to open it,....even with that monster friggin knife?

post #11 of 153 Old 10-23-2010, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
What is the model on those CV speakers?

What do you use as a center channel?
post #12 of 153 Old 10-23-2010, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

All that displacement in an APARTMENT? Damn!

Your review seems a bit rushed. I'd be interested in your perceptions after extended listening.

The song list is... unique.

Yes. The review was rushed. I have a million things going today so I tried to squeeze a quick "first impression" review in. I will post more thoughts on this sub later as it settles in. The song list is a small sample of more than 120 songs I've listened to within the last 13 hours. I did not bother listing some of the more aggressive songs I also listen to because of the usual culture clash here. I've noticed most of the members here seem to be conservative middle aged men. So my vast tastes in music might differ from the norm here.
post #13 of 153 Old 10-23-2010, 03:01 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes. The review was rushed. I have a million things going today so I tried to squeeze a quick "first impression" review in. I will post more thoughts on this sub later as it settles in. The song list is a small sample of more than 120 songs I've listened to within the last 13 hours. I did not bother listing some of the more aggressive songs I also listen to because of the usual culture clash here. I've noticed most of the members here seem to be middle aged men of a certain persuasion. So my vast tastes in music is going to be different from most of the homebody audiophiles here.

You have no idea, ... I'm 47, I listen to everything, everything as in every genre imaginable.

post #14 of 153 Old 10-23-2010, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Wait a minute....you carry the thing in on your shoulder, but it takes you over an hour to open it,....even with that monster friggin knife?

Yep. I was trying not to damage the thing. But the cardboard was layered, thick, and double boxed. If I was doing it my old way I would have just flipped the thing over and dug my knife through and dragged it until the box hollered for mercy.

But being this is the most expensive subwoofer I've ever purchased I tried to take things and slow. I was super careful with the entire extraction process.
post #15 of 153 Old 10-23-2010, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You have no idea, ... I'm 47, I listen to everything, everything as in every genre imaginable.

That's good. Though I have witnessed many conservative posts from men of a different generation than my own here so I try to keep the music entries to a mainstream medium.
post #16 of 153 Old 10-23-2010, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tried to send you a pm for a link to it's raining men however you stated you no longer had it saved on youtube.

Holla atcha boi!!!
post #17 of 153 Old 10-23-2010, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post

What is the model on those CV speakers?

What do you use as a center channel?

They are the Cerwin Vega CLS-215. I don't use a center speaker at this time. However I was using the monstrosity listed below as my center speaker. I just recently experimented with using a conventional tv stand again and I must say it looks much nicer with a tv stand.

At regular volume levels it's not noticeable. My speakers will fill up this entire 1300 square foot easily. However at very low volumes you can tell there is a gap between by left and right speakers. I've thought about bringing my big center back in here but I'm not sure it's what I want nowadays.

I'm currently looking into a JTR Triple 12 as a center. I believe it will give me the wide, deep soundstage I am looking for to keep up with and exceed my own speakers which is what a center should do in my opinion. I'm also thinking about a Chase pro 10 as a space saving center which I could hang on the wall.

My last option is to have a local guy I know build me a center similar to the JTR triple 12 except tune it down to at least 30hz to better match my speaker's lowend.
LL
post #18 of 153 Old 10-23-2010, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Wow!!! Im glad to see that you found a sub that will work with your theater. I can't wait to show my wife the pictures of your room. You have 3 pair of CLS-215's in there. We only have 1 pair of CLS-215's for mains. Your photos might be good leverage material for future purchases. I have to give my wife a lot of credit. I just ordered another amplifier yesterday. I also purchased an amplifier last month. She's pretty laid back when it comes down to me purchasing AV equipment.
post #19 of 153 Old 10-23-2010, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

Wow!!! Im glad to see that you found a sub that will work with your theater. I can't wait to show my wife the pictures of your room. You have 3 pair of CLS-215's in there. We only have 1 pair of CLS-215's for mains. Your photos might be good leverage material for future purchases. I have to give my wife a lot of credit. I just ordered another amplifier yesterday. I also purchased an amplifier last month. She's pretty laid back when it comes down to me purchasing AV equipment.

Now THAT is a woman I would like to meet.
post #20 of 153 Old 10-23-2010, 04:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

I've noticed most of the members here seem to be conservative middle aged men.

Bite your tongue!!

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #21 of 153 Old 10-23-2010, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

Bite your tongue!!

post #22 of 153 Old 10-23-2010, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

Bite your tongue!!

I'll second that! What about us in our 60's & 70's?
post #23 of 153 Old 10-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Congrats Diamonddelts I knew you would like the sub! Wait till you give it some more playing time it will sound better and better with some "burn in time" as it is called by some . The ability of the 18.2 to excel in both music and movie playback is a definite strong point. The longer you own it the more impressive it gets. Wait about two weeks and you will feel like writing another review on how much better it sounds. Try playing the sonic gun scene in Minority Report at reference levels for some serious chest slam it will put a smile on your face!
post #24 of 153 Old 10-23-2010, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T.MIKE View Post

Try playing the sonic gun scene in Minority Report at reference levels for some serious chest slam it will put a smile on your face!

And a eviction notice in my hand.
post #25 of 153 Old 10-23-2010, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Cool stuff. What are the specs, dimensions, price, etc?

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #26 of 153 Old 10-23-2010, 05:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:

And a eviction notice in my hand.

I'm surprised you haven't already received one with the speakers and subs that you own.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #27 of 153 Old 10-23-2010, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I'm surprised you haven't already received one with the speakers and subs that you own.

Bill

I can understand that notion. But my speakers are very sensitive so I can usually listen to my setup at .5-6. That's one click up to level 6 out of 88 with my volume set to absolute on my onkyo receiver. Most of the time I only listen at .5(one click) during late nights. Everything is still clear and the bass is subtle but clearly audible. I love it.

Have not had any complaints from my neighbors within the last 4 months. I am always sure to check in with my apartment manager every time I pay rent on the 1st. The apartment manager says I am silly to ask about this repeatedly and states I worry to much.
post #28 of 153 Old 10-23-2010, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
By middle age men of a certain persuasion, you mean not gay. I am lost on that statement, is that what you are saying?
Anyway glad you finally got a sub you are happy with.
A sub like that in an apartment is really the craziest thing i have ever seen here.
post #29 of 153 Old 10-23-2010, 09:28 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Cool stuff. What are the specs, dimensions, price, etc?

You have a PM
post #30 of 153 Old 10-23-2010, 09:37 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I can understand that notion. But my speakers are very sensitive so I can usually listen to my setup at .5-6. That's one click up to level 6 out of 88 with my volume set to absolute on my onkyo receiver. Most of the time I only listen at .5(one click) during late nights. Everything is still clear and the bass is subtle but clearly audible. I love it.

Have not had any complaints from my neighbors within the last 4 months. I am always sure to check in with my apartment manager every time I pay rent on the 1st. The apartment manager says I am silly to ask about this repeatedly and states I worry to much.

Pretty darn good review thread. Just for old time's sake, would you please bust my cajones about the website? It still needs work.

Oh ... and you carried the beast up the stairs, by yourself, over your shoulder. and wonder why no one complains about the noise?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page