Paradigm UltraCube 12 help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-26-2010, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

My nearest dealer is about 60 miles away, and direct support from Paradigm is basically non existent, so any help is greatly appreciated.

I have an Ultracube 12 from several years back that has worked flawlessly since new. The other day I noticed it was not putting out any sound. The light on the front comes on yellow, but zero output. I have tested with another receiver, and different cable to rule out those possibilities. Does the light on the front turn green at any point?

I see that this setup utilizes a temperature sensor on the speaker. Any chance this could be the issue? Anyway to bypass? If it simply unplug it from the speaker, the yellow power light does not come on at all. This leads me to believe the sensor is not the issue.

If I push down on the cone lightly, and as evenly as possible, it does feel a little rougher than I would imagine it should be. I have tested the voice coil at 2ohms, at a neutral position. If I test for resistance and move the cone slightly, it seems to change dramatically.

Thanks
Garrett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-26-2010, 11:08 AM

Hi Garrett, I have two of these and the light does not change colour. I assume you have checked all connections inside and out. Is the amp warm or hot to the touch after plugged in and the light on for a while? Was it playing loud from the last time you were playing it? ...
post #3 of 5 Old 10-26-2010, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls200p View Post

Hi Garrett, I have two of these and the light does not change colour. I assume you have checked all connections inside and out. Is the amp warm or hot to the touch after plugged in and the light on for a while? Was it playing loud from the last time you were playing it? ...

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I checked all of the connections. It doesn't get warm when plugged in for a while. It worked fine, then I unplugged it from the wall so that I could use the outlet for something else. Several days went by with it unplugged. Plugged it in, and never worked again.

Is the light on all the time, even when in standby? I just dont want to have to drive/ship this thing, and then hear that its going to cost me several hundred dollars to fix. I would love to get an idea of what it could be, and then go from there.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-26-2010, 02:06 PM

The light only comes on when a strong enough signal is applied. Does your light ever shut off? When you push on the driver, does it make any scratching/rubbing type noises? I've never had a good look at the amp, is there anything wrong looking with/at the board? Fuses, etc.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-26-2010, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls200p View Post

The light only comes on when a strong enough signal is applied. Does your light ever shut off? When you push on the driver, does it make any scratching/rubbing type noises? I've never had a good look at the amp, is there anything wrong looking with/at the board? Fuses, etc.

When I push on the sub it does make slight scratchy, rubbing noises. I have had quite a few speakers over the years, and from what I can remember they have been pretty much silent when compressed. I checked it with a multimeter and it measured out at 2 ohms, but this was only at the cones neutral position.

I took the amp off, and checked all the connections along with an inspection of the board. Everything looks fine. No burn marks, no blown caps. All of the small connectors where taken off, and re-seated.

When I plugged the sub back in after re-assembly, the light on the front did not come on until I put a signal to it. Still no audio.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page