The Official HSU VTF-15H Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 5124 Old 11-15-2010, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Luke, thanks for the update. So you like max headroom mode for movies(1 port/EQ2)? How would you describe it compared to both ports open?

Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 5124 Old 11-15-2010, 03:33 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputter1 View Post

I hate you. (in the possible way ) Mine isn't being delieved till Thurs. Thanks for sharing your thoughts though

By the sounds of it there a couple other Canadians expecting their subs then too.

I'll be posting pics, as I think most pics so far have been in the black, I ordered mine in Rosenut which will make my Jamo C-807s look cheap.

That'll be great to see some pics in Rosewood! I was really tempted to get that finish, but all the furniture and HT equipment in my living room are black except for the glossy espresso Sierras. At the Open House in the showroom the rosenut sub had a nice dark finish (darker than the rosewood on the ULS's) that I thought I might be able to get away with it. I'd like to see what they look like in someone's home theater set up.

-Len
post #273 of 5124 Old 11-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Hi ACP_AUTO,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_ACP_AUTO View Post

Pete, I own the old Velodyne DD-15. I am wondering for 1/3 the price if the HSU will compair to the Velo. I am looking at the new DD-15 PLUS, I am just wondering if it would compair in performance. I would like a pair of subs also, if 2 HSU'S would compair than done. I think from a dollars stand point I would go that route. Pair them up with a sms-1 and boom. I am looking for clean loud low bass output and extention. Two hsu's and a sms-1 would be 2500.00 and two DD15 plus subs would be 8000.00.
Thanks

If you are looking for clean loud low bass output and extension, then a nice large subwoofer such as VTF-15H is the way to go. Two VTF-15H will be incredibly good. Even one is extremely impressive, but two will be amazing, in terms of both output capability and in terms of smooth response across multiple seats.

Sincerely,

Pete - Hsu Research
post #274 of 5124 Old 11-15-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacihome View Post

HHAHAHAHA Yeah! Waiting to put that in my 3,100cufeet room!

Thanks for the info man! That was what I wanted to hear.
You know, it will replace my ULS-15, and the ED A7s-450 which were stacked.... So it has big shoes to fill.

Wow. Those are indeed big shoes to fill! Especially with both co-located like that. I'd be interested in hearing your impressions of the VTF-15H musically (in both modes) compared to the ULS-15.

-Len
post #275 of 5124 Old 11-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len B View Post

Okay. I'm not sure the pictures were attached to this, but this is one amazing subwoofer. I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area and I visited some friends down in So. Cal. and stopped by the HSU Open House last week and was impressed by the output and musicality of this big ported sub.

I previously had a VTF-3 mk3 and loved it. I'm mostly HT in my living room (80%/20%) and do most of my music listening in my car, in which I have a sealed J.L. Audio 10" stealthbox in my S2000. I've also listened to and was impressed by a Rythmik F15 (although I didn't get to test it with home theater). So basically, I'm a fan of sealed subwoofers for music and ported subwoofers for home theater.

That being said, I put this thing through the paces and was impressed in both modes. With both ports open, I'm getting a pretty flat response down to 16 hz. in my 4200 ^3 ft. living room. For both ports being open, the sub was very musical (articulate, full, clean sound, and pretty good attack and decay). I played tracks with deep and fast hitting bass from B.O.B. -The Adventures of Bobby Ray, Linkin Park - A Thousand Suns, and Black Eyed Peas - The E.N.D. I also threw in some Saint Saens Organ Symphony #3. The sub kept up pretty nicely with my Ascend Sierra 1's.

In H.T. I was blown away! The bass was definitely present, but in a clean, distinct, impactful way that made movie-watching fun. It played the bass line in the music during Toy Story very smoothly, but was also able to quickly and emphatically add weight and volume to scenes such as when the t-rex toy jumped without overhang (clean, voluminous, tactile). The same can be said of movies such as How to Train Your Dragon, Terminator: Salvation, The Hulk, and the Dark Knight. The great thing about this sub is the added mid-upper bass impact. Nice and punchy!

I also tried sealed mode, and preferred this when listening to music. Adjusting for output differences using a Radio Shack SPL meter, the sealed mode seemed to tighten, clean, and punctuate the bass more (basically sealed subwoofer sound). Movies even sounded pretty good in sealed mode using the max extension setting. However, to me, movie watching was more enjoyable in the maximum output mode with both ports open.

This is one amazing sub, especially when one considers the price! If you have the room for this thing and are considering a sub, this would be a fantastic way to go! The great thing is the ability to go between ported and sealed and use different settings for both to dial in your sound preference.

I'm definitely glad I got this and will do more music listening and movie watching over the Thanksgiving holiday.

This is excellent Len, just the type of feedback I was hoping for, thank you very much!!! Great pics too!

Enjoy

Sincerely,

Pete - Hsu Research
post #276 of 5124 Old 11-15-2010, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp View Post

After lots of max output watching for fun, I decided to start playing around with tweaking of this baby. I know these analog Rat. Shack meters aren't very accurate, and everyone's situation is different, but with me I am happy as can be. Both ports open Q.3, I am getting corrected values on rat shack of 109.5db at both 20 and 16Hz at my listening position of 10 ft away not even pushing the limits. I am also corner loading on concrete slab with padding and carpet, with concrete behind one of my two, one sheet framed drywall (I get good gain out of my corner). My room is open to a 6000 cubic foot basement. I have also found that I get great frequency response with one port in, eq2, Q.3 for watching movies. I have 2 15" Kicker L7 squares in sealed box with 1600watts in car and the VTF in sealed mode destroys them in sound quality. This sub is so much fun to play around with the different settings, I will for sure be doing more experimenting later this week. I set a sub budget at $1000 and only went over by $18. I researched for a couple months on this forum and as soon as I saw HSU released this, I pulled the trigger. If I had to do it over again I would make the same purchase.

Thank you Luke, I really appreciate this! Luckily you guys have a lot of time during the upcoming holidays to keep experimenting

Sincerely,

Pete - Hsu Research
post #277 of 5124 Old 11-15-2010, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by dachness View Post

Luke, thanks for the update. So you like max headroom mode for movies(1 port/EQ2)? How would you describe it compared to both ports open?

Daniel

With both ports open I was peaking 10db hotter at 20hz than at 31.5hz with my boundary gain. With both ports open it was deep bass and had me filling sandbags for cover watching The Pacific last night! With max headroom mode in my situation I have a smoother response curve and will test out with material later tonight.

Edit: Not going to be 10db higher, I forgot I had turned on THX Loudness Plus last night when watching at lower levels with wife sleeping. It really boosts my low end. Too late to do any testing tonight, will get back to you later.
post #278 of 5124 Old 11-15-2010, 09:01 PM

This sub does truly sound great. I am wondering if it would be too much for my dedicated room though. My room is 14 x 15.5 x 10. I do want the punch in the chest from explosions, etc. Is my room too small for a sub this size?
post #279 of 5124 Old 11-15-2010, 09:36 PM

I think most would agree there isn't such thing as too much sub. You can always turn it down via the amp or receiver. It is more of a question of whether you can live with the size of the sub.

I have a 12x12x8 bedroom that I anticipate purchasing the VTF-15H for. The main reason being for future use in a living room down the road.

Daniel
post #280 of 5124 Old 11-16-2010, 06:16 AM

Quik question, I know this may have already been asked but, does HSU ship to canada and if so how would i go about ordering one of these. Thanks
post #281 of 5124 Old 11-16-2010, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin1886 View Post
Quik question, I know this may have already been asked but, does HSU ship to canada and if so how would i go about ordering one of these. Thanks
Yes and email them with your location etc. Pete will give you a quote.
A couple us in Canada are waiting on our subs now (in transit).

Jim
post #282 of 5124 Old 11-16-2010, 06:57 AM

Thanks sputter.
post #283 of 5124 Old 11-16-2010, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I just got back from Anaheim. Guess what I brought home with me?

post #284 of 5124 Old 11-16-2010, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Uh oh, did you get one or two? Somethin tells me your going to miss your bedtime tonight!
post #285 of 5124 Old 11-16-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:

Maybe if you take a picture we could figure it out
post #286 of 5124 Old 11-16-2010, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp View Post
Uh oh, did you get one or two? Somethin tells me your going to miss your bedtime tonight!
Well, I did come home with two...but not of the same model. I came back with one VTF-15H and one ULS-15. I will decide which one I prefer, and will return the other in exchange for the one I prefer (so I will wind up with two of the same one). I confirmed this with Leo so they know exactly what my intent is.

The people at HSU have been great to work with.

Leo and Dr. Hsu were kind enough to set aside their last VTF-15H for me...even though it was a unit that they had picked to send for a review. Leo even showed my the letter "R" that was on the box that was short for "Review". So I know I'm getting a sub that has been well tested!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachness View Post
Maybe if you take a picture we could figure it out

I'll try to get a picture up by tomorrow.
post #287 of 5124 Old 11-16-2010, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, I did come home with two...but not of the same model. I came back with one VTF-15H and one ULS-15. I will decide which one I prefer, and will return the other in exchange for the one I prefer (so I will wind up with two of the same one). I confirmed this with Leo so they know exactly what my intent is.

Leo and Dr. Hsu were kind enough to set aside their last VTF-15H for me...even though it was a unit that they had picked to send for a review. Leo even showed my the letter "R" that was on the box that was short for "Review". So I know I'm getting a sub that has been well tested!

Rosenut or black?
post #288 of 5124 Old 11-16-2010, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputter1 View Post
Rosenut or black?
Black.

It will be in a dedicated front projection room with full light control, and I put black velvet over my front speakers anyway, so nobody would ever see the Rosenut if I got it.
post #289 of 5124 Old 11-16-2010, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Really looking forward to your impressions between the two. Since HSU was so kind in holding the "R" VTF for you I guess you are obligated!
post #290 of 5124 Old 11-16-2010, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They're sold out of the VTF-15H Black already?!?!

congrats!

You'll rarely hear anyone say, "I wish I'd gotten less Sub."

$ubwoofer$ and premium mango tree cultivar$

post #291 of 5124 Old 11-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTBigman View Post

congrats!
They are out of both flavors at this time. Oh boy, and I just sold my VTF-3 MK3 today.
post #292 of 5124 Old 11-16-2010, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

congrats!
Thanks!

Yes, they appear to be sold out at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepen View Post
They are out of both flavors at this time. Oh boy, and I just sold my VTF-3 MK3 today.
I don't think it will take too long for them to get more.

Leo showed me all the empty pallets that were stacked up in the warehouse that used to have boxes of VTF-15H's on them. Needless to say, they are selling quite well!
post #293 of 5124 Old 11-16-2010, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
There's no doubt that HSU has a major hit on their hands. Good for them. I hope other ID sub makers are paying attention to this. Large high-value, high-performance ported subs are still cool! Small sealed subs are not the answer for everyone.
post #294 of 5124 Old 11-16-2010, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Rob, since you're demoing two different 15" models in the same room, it would be interesting to read your thoughts on how similair the 15H in "sealed mode" sounds compared to the truly sealed ULS 15 AND which one sound better. Looking foward to your comparison.

The Rosenut version is very tempting. I wonder how it would compare to my Epik Tower.

You'll rarely hear anyone say, "I wish I'd gotten less Sub."

$ubwoofer$ and premium mango tree cultivar$

post #295 of 5124 Old 11-16-2010, 04:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Rob, since you're demoing two different 15" models in the same room, it would be interesting to read your thoughts on how similair the 15H in "sealed mode" sounds compared to the truly sealed ULS 15 AND which one sound better. Looking foward to your comparison.
I will be having a few members from AVS over to listen next weekend and give opinions as well, so it won't just be my ears/opinion.
post #296 of 5124 Old 11-16-2010, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Pete says there will be more in a "few days".

Jim
post #297 of 5124 Old 11-16-2010, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I will be having a few members from AVS over to listen next weekend and give opinions as well, so it won't just be my ears/opinion.
That'll be interesting.
post #298 of 5124 Old 11-16-2010, 05:47 PM

Liked: 16
don't mean to be off topic,but pete,have you guy's ever talked about being on twitter? you can really put your name out there same as on home theater forums also.
post #299 of 5124 Old 11-16-2010, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin1886 View Post
Yes Devin, we do ship to Canada. The best thing to do is to email us with the full shipping address, in addition to what finish option you are interested in, and we will work up a quote for you.

So sorry if response time for international quotes is not super fast right now, I am currently out of the office until early next week. My co-workers will help to work up the quotes, so we'll try to respond via email within one or two business days.

Sincerely,

Pete - Hsu Research
post #300 of 5124 Old 11-16-2010, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Sam,

Quote:
I was told that we will be receiving more quantity by early to middle of next week. So the wait shouldn't be too long.

Sincerely,

Pete - Hsu Research
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page