Old 11-25-2010, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwyn View Post

Those ppl who won't spend 879 plus shipping for a sub won't pay 629 either so those are not the people that I am talking about. I am talking about persons who are "serious" about audio not people who just want surround sound because it looks cool. Persons that are serious would really consider the VTF as much people here are doing because of the value it gives. Does the 3.3 give that value? IMO it can't because it takes 2 of them plus an MBM just to reach the output if a single VTF. So is that an equal value? No it is not that's all I am trying to say.

Yep. That is why I said I agree with you...

Cacimar Hernandez
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2010, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Yeah I understand what you're saying. For the serious audio people why buy dual 3.3 and MBM when a single 15H will do the trick. I do think there is a chance to loose money from those people.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

Old 11-25-2010, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

I was describing the feeling and sound of the 15H to a few people at work and they all said I don't need anything like that. One guy actually said bass like that can stop your heart and crack your walls. That's when I knew it was pointless.

lol
Old 11-25-2010, 09:39 PM

So...since mine will go in an upstairs HT room, will I need to make sure the stuff below is secured? Looking forward to the experiment. I get mine on Friday!
Old 11-25-2010, 10:19 PM

Liked: 11
Man, listening to you guys talk is driving me crazy. I just got my quotes for an MBM-12 and a 15H and the 15H is lower than I was expecting. Talk about another wrench. So a farfield 15H is going outweigh the benefits of having an nearfield MBM? Must be one crazy a$$ sub.

If some of you don't mind, what are your room dimensions and how far is your primary LP? And most importantly, can you feel your chest vibrate?
Old 11-25-2010, 11:39 PM

Guys!

Is there a quick and easy way to make graphs of frequency response of subwoofers?

I want to know how you guys did it!

I was considering using my i-phone via SigScopePro, except I'm not sure what exactly I would need to play as the source. I can generate the tones via CoolEditPro, but I'm just trying to find a faster way to do it.

If anyone has suggestions please PM me.

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2010, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick1969 View Post

So...since mine will go in an upstairs HT room, will I need to make sure the stuff below is secured? Looking forward to the experiment. I get mine on Friday!

I'm not sure Rick. My theater is in the basement which is carpet and pad over concrete. the floor is going to do a LOT of shaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEXXD View Post

Man, listening to you guys talk is driving me crazy. I just got my quotes for an MBM-12 and a 15H and the 15H is lower than I was expecting. Talk about another wrench. So a farfield 15H is going outweigh the benefits of having an nearfield MBM? Must be one crazy a$$ sub.

If some of you don't mind, what are your room dimensions and how far is your primary LP? And most importantly, can you feel your chest vibrate?

My room is 13x24 and my LP is 12 feet from the sub.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure Rick. My theater is in the basement which is carpet and pad over concrete. the floor is going to do a LOT of shaking.

My room is 13x24 and my LP is 12 feet from the sub.

How do you shake concrete floors?

"What we do in life echoes in eternity." General Maximus Decimus Meridius
Old 11-26-2010, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18628239 View Post

I wish I could shake my concrete. I meant the floor on Rick's upstairs HT will be shaking.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18628239 View Post

I think is more like the vibrations sent through the concrete. Hard to say but mine feel like they are shaking.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure Rick. My theater is in the basement which is carpet and pad over concrete. the floor is going to do a LOT of shaking..

Well now you have me scared. I just got it. I'm waiting on a friend to help me muscle the box upstairs. Sure hope I don't break something.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:47 PM

My Sub is also in the Basement on carpet with padding on a concrete floor. It's sitting on an Auralex Great Gramma but it still shakes the house up to two floors above. My basement is approx 1350sq ft but my HT room is 17 x 14 with an 8 ft opening to the rest of the space. My main seat is a little over 8ft but the bass can be felt from all seats. VEXXD I can feel my chest vibrate through the front and back.. Rick1969 I think upstairs on a wood floor would shake the house for sure..

Old 11-26-2010, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well now you have me scared. I just got it. I'm waiting on a friend to help me muscle the box upstairs. Sure hope I don't break something.

Like DLS's mine shakes the house two floors up, but so did the VTF-3 HO w/turbo.

It was easy getting it downstairs alone. Just stand in front of it and let in come to you. I'm not sure how I'd get it upstairs without help unless I took it out the box first and risked scratching it on a belt buckle, button, wall etc... I think you're right by waiting for a friend.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLS_222 View Post

My Sub is also in the Basement on carpet with padding on a concrete floor. It's sitting on an Auralex Great Gramma but it still shakes the house up to two floors above. My basement is approx 1350sq ft but my HT room is 17 x 14 with an 8 ft opening to the rest of the space. My main seat is a little over 8ft but the bass can be felt from all seats. VEXXD I can feel my chest vibrate through the front and back.. Rick1969 I think upstairs on a wood floor would shake the house for sure..

OK...so seriously...I can't really damage my house can I?

Sub is upstairs and unboxed. I'm going to start setting it up at the Auburn/Alabama halftime.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't worry you can't damage the house. Notice I said the house. Pictures aren't technically the house. Set the sub's volume to 9:00 and run your receiver's setup whether it be Audyssey, MCACC etc... and you'll be fine.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Has anyone who purchased their 15H paired it with an MBM? I currently have an HO with turbo, an HO without turbo and an MBM. I am thinking of selling the 2 HO's and getting 2-15H's to pair with the MBM.

Also, how much of a nightmare will it be to find the right combination of Q settings and EQ's with the pair? I have REW and a BFD to help but I am nervous about all the combinations that I will be trying out.

My space is about 6000 cubic feet
Old 11-26-2010, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Vexxd in post #455 said he was getting an MBM 15H combo too. I use the BFD with the 15H and it's a breeze. It's pretty easy. You take a reading and see what effect the Q has and then change the Q and take another reading and so on. When you get a reading the has the response you want you're all set. Just save your graphs to compare.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:

Don't worry you can't damage the house. Notice I said the house. Pictures aren't technically the house. Set the sub's volume to 9:00 and run your receiver's setup whether it be Audyssey, MCACC etc... and you'll be fine.

Got it all set up and did a quick demo with Iron Man. WOW! Quick question. If it's sitting on carpet, do i need to install the rubber feet?
Old 11-26-2010, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:

Got it all set up and did a quick demo with Iron Man. WOW! Quick question. If it's sitting on carpet, do i need to install the rubber feet?

I would.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd install the feet too. They will isolate the sub from making direct contact with the floor and also keep it from getting scratched.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputter1 View Post

i would.

+1
Old 11-27-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:

Yah I would put the feet on as well. So how does it feel/sound? Does it shake upstairs much?

Old 11-27-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLS_222 View Post

Yah I would put the feet on as well. So how does it feel/sound? Does it shake upstairs much?

Feet installed...Iron Man watched...wife came upstairs to ask why the downstairs items were rattling. This thing is unbelievable.

I'll never show you numbers or charts. I'll just talk about reaction. My brother in law was here when I got it all set up and ran through the receiver set up with Audyssey. We watched the scene from IM when they first unleashed the Jericho weapon. He was sitting in front of me. He just turned around and giggled. Sister in law and wife came up and watched the same scene again. The response was "the seats are vibrating and I'm vibrating. Is that supposed to happen?"

The only numbers I'll give you because I really don't know if it means anything. After my receiver calibrated the room (Audyssey) I looked at the settings. The db setting stood out to me. All three front speakers were about +5 db. The sub was automatically set at -12 db. The receiver needed to back down the sub to keep it from overpowering. This thing is huge and powerful (for those you watch The Office..."That's what she said").
Old 11-27-2010, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Well after reading every post in this thread, I am convinced that I have to have this sub. Well, maybe 2, to replace the uls-15 dual drive I have now. I am lacking the midbass slam that I really like. This sub seems like a monster!! I have about 4600 cubic feet to fill, so I am leaning towards 2. I have to sell the uls-15's first or the wife will not be happy with me. This hobby is going to bankrupt me one of these days.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarki View Post

Well after reading every post in this thread, I am convinced that I have to have this sub. Well, maybe 2, to replace the uls-15 dual drive I have now. I am lacking the midbass slam that I really like. This sub seems like a monster!! I have about 4600 cubic feet to fill, so I am leaning towards 2. I have to sell the uls-15's first or the wife will not be happy with me. This hobby is going to bankrupt me one of these days.

Sounds like someone who does not have their subs setup right.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
Old 11-27-2010, 09:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

We had our HT meet here today with a few AVS members. I'll just say that after comparing one ULS-15 to one VFT-15H, which including trying both subs in the same spot, and moving them around, there really was never much doubt regarding which sub was preferred.

I'm not going to speak for others who were here, but from my standpoint the ULS-15 was seriously lacking in bass impact. So much so that we all found it rather surprising and confusing. We double checked the settings to make sure it was set correctly etc. Honestly, even without comparing the ULS-15 to the VTF-15H, I would have been disappointed in the ULS-15. Although we could clearly see the cone moving, I personally wouldn't rule out the possibility that there is a problem with my unit.

The VTF-15h performed extremely well in my opinion...both open and plugged. In sealed mode, I thought the bass was a bit tighter, but there was not enough of a difference in my opinion to justify losing some of the impact of running in ported mode.

In any event, I'm going to return the ULS-15 and go with two of the VTF-15h's. Thanks a ton to the guys at HSU for allowing me to try both subs out to see which I preferred!
Old 11-28-2010, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
hey Rob, could you do me a favour? Could you try the Iron Man BD with the scene where Starks exits the cave with the ULS-15? I would like you to tell me if you hear a rattling noise in your sub when that scene plays. This is a much debated scene for bottoming subs so you could then try the same scene with the VTF and let me know how it goes. Your help would be much appreciated.

BTW what receiver or processor do you have?
Old 11-28-2010, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

We had our HT meet here today with a few AVS members. I'll just say that after comparing one ULS-15 to one VFT-15H, which including trying both subs in the same spot, and moving them around, there really was never much doubt regarding which sub was preferred.

I'm not going to speak for others who were here, but from my standpoint the ULS-15 was seriously lacking in bass impact. So much so that we all found it rather surprising and confusing. We double checked the settings to make sure it was set correctly etc. Honestly, even without comparing the ULS-15 to the VTF-15H, I would have been disappointed in the ULS-15. Although we could clearly see the cone moving, I personally wouldn't rule out the possibility that there is a problem with my unit.

The VTF-15h performed extremely well in my opinion...both open and plugged. In sealed mode, I thought the bass was a bit tighter, but there was not enough of a difference in my opinion to justify losing some of the impact of running in ported mode.

In any event, I'm going to return the ULS-15 and go with two of the VTF-15h's. Thanks a ton to the guys at HSU for allowing me to try both subs out to see which I preferred!

Rob, that is good news to hear. I was about to order a ULS-15 until I heard about the VTF-15H. I ordered the 15H last week.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Sounds like someone who does not have their subs setup right.

I have the subs level matched and I use an as-eq1. That helped level things out, I had a null around 35hz. But I still don't have the midbass slam I'm looking for. I am by no means an expert, so maybe they aren't set up correctly. Any suggestions?
Old 11-28-2010, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwyn View Post

hey Rob, could you do me a favour? Could you try the Iron Man BD with the scene where Starks exits the cave with the ULS-15? I would like you to tell me if you hear a rattling noise in your sub when that scene plays. This is a much debated scene for bottoming subs so you could then try the same scene with the VTF and let me know how it goes. Your help would be much appreciated.

BTW what receiver or processor do you have?

How funny, after I made my post last night, guess which movie I watched?! Yep, Iron Man.

Unfortunately, I have already packed up the ULS-15 to exchange it for another VTF-15h, so I can't check it with Iron Man.

I can tell you that the VTF-15h performed quite well with this scene though.

Tags
Subwoofers , Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer