The Official HSU VTF-15H Thread - Page 177 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #5281 of 5283 Old 10-30-2015, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 7
New VTF-15H MK2 very happy owner questions.

I received my VTF-15H MK2 last weekend, and I am in audio and home theater heaven! It's been much fun positioning the sub, testing the bass response at various locations, trying again, etc.

A couple of sorta-kinda newbie questions:

1) I bought the sub because it can handle the lowest notes (16hz) on the Saint-Saens Symphony #3 (Organ). The first instance of that very, very low tone comes in at approximately 10:15 into the first movement. It's the sort of sound that you feel as much as you hear. I'm shopping for a new, better AVR, and I wonder if I need be concerned about the frequency-response for that device? Or is it likely that any flagship AVR will be able to handle this adequately? I'm open to driving the two main fronts via an outboard amp if necessary to achieve my goal.

2) The new Hsu was bought to replace a nice, entry level 12" Polk sub. Should I just forget about the Polk (probably re-home it in my bedroom, or gift it) or should I hook it up too? I've gathered that two subs are generally advised, but I am entirely unclear about the efficacy of using two very different subs together. I currently have a mid-range Onkyo that supports two subs.

Thank you for all the information I've gotten over the years from these forums!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5282 of 5283 Old 10-30-2015, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by santa rosa peter View Post
I received my VTF-15H MK2 last weekend, and I am in audio and home theater heaven! It's been much fun positioning the sub, testing the bass response at various locations, trying again, etc.

A couple of sorta-kinda newbie questions:

1) I bought the sub because it can handle the lowest notes (16hz) on the Saint-Saens Symphony #3 (Organ). The first instance of that very, very low tone comes in at approximately 10:15 into the first movement. It's the sort of sound that you feel as much as you hear. I'm shopping for a new, better AVR, and I wonder if I need be concerned about the frequency-response for that device? Or is it likely that any flagship AVR will be able to handle this adequately? I'm open to driving the two main fronts via an outboard amp if necessary to achieve my goal.

2) The new Hsu was bought to replace a nice, entry level 12" Polk sub. Should I just forget about the Polk (probably re-home it in my bedroom, or gift it) or should I hook it up too? I've gathered that two subs are generally advised, but I am entirely unclear about the efficacy of using two very different subs together. I currently have a mid-range Onkyo that supports two subs.

Thank you for all the information I've gotten over the years from these forums!
#1 . There is no need to worry about the frequency response of the AVR. An AVR just sends all frequencies below a certain cutoff (crossover for speakers) to the sub. So, any AVR would work - see other features such as 4K, BT, 3D, Audyssey support, etc. when you buy it.

#2 . I highly doubt the polk 12" sub will be able to add anything to VTF-15H mk2. It might make the bass muddy and compromise the sound quality. I would sell the polk or put it in a different room.

Def Tech BP8 Front L/R with Def Tech SM350 Front heights [Dolby Plz]
Def Tech CLR2002 Center / Def Tech Pro1000 Surrounds L/R
Hsu VTF3 MK5 Sub

post #5283 of 5283 Old 12-08-2015, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Smile Mated with a pair of Magnepan MMG's

Very happy with my VTF-15H. I've had it for about two months now, and have listened to a range of special-effects-heavy movies and a lot of classical music.

When I started my upgrade project this year, my primary L/R speakers were a pair of ESS AMT-1 Towers, which have a Heil Air Motion Transformer, a device you'll see in more modern speakers as a High Velocity Tweeter (as in Martin Logan and Goldenear speakers, among others). I was really not looking forward to finding a replacement for the ESS's, they still sound great, but I'm pretty sure I was missing out on something. Looked at a bunch of speakers and it seemed that it would take about $5K on speakers just to get to a level higher than where I was (to stay at the same level seemed to make no sense for the potential investment/expense).

I wound up buying a pair of Magnepan MMG's for $600 bucks. I was concerned about the lack of any real bass on these speakers. but the HSU VTF-15H has stepped in to pick up the slack, and then some!

I've been listening int SACD's of mostly Beethoven and I am just delighted with the way the MMG's matched with a HSU sub sound. (Like silly grin on my face happy) I wonder if there is any point in getting a larger Magnepan panel instead? Or is the extra size taken up for providing mostly greater bass extension, which I rather think I don't need? Anyone else using big subs with quasi-ribbon panels? Or would it be better to get a dedicated amp to make my grin all the wider?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page