The Official HSU VTF-15H Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 5124 Old 11-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tough question Rob! I like both for music, and haven't done any precise listening comparisons yet. The ULS-15 has a clean and smooth sound, while the VTF-15H has very tight and punchy mid/upper bass. My preference in sound is usually towards the latter attributes. That said, adding an MBM-12 MK2 to a ULS-15 would more than make up for that. Highly recommended for any ULS owners!

Sincerely,

Pete - Hsu Research
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 5124 Old 11-07-2010, 04:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

Buy 2 of them. Tune one for the low end and the other for the high end = best of both.

I have often wondered if this will provide any benefit? Has anyone tried doing this with two identical subs? Run one in max extension mode and one in max output mode?
post #33 of 5124 Old 11-07-2010, 04:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Not with HSU subs but I have run the same drivers in ported and sealed designs. I have also tuned one higher and one lower.

I do not know of any benefit of doing so, the best response is from 2 of them tuned the exact same, placed in the room to get the best response.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #34 of 5124 Old 11-07-2010, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
It's one nice looking sub. I'm very tempted. Seeing as it's ported, I would think it would integrate pretty well with my Ultras.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 5124 Old 11-07-2010, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
This is a really nice addition to the mix of under-$1000 subs--certainly one I will add to my list of those under consideration.

Bob

post #36 of 5124 Old 11-07-2010, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by croseiv View Post

It's one nice looking sub. I'm very tempted. Seeing as it's ported, I would think it would integrate pretty well with my Ultras.

You could sell your Ultras and replace them with the 15H and come out ahead.

-curtis

Owner of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #37 of 5124 Old 11-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Any guess how this would compete with the original VTF3-HO with turbo?
post #38 of 5124 Old 11-07-2010, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewB View Post

Any guess how this would compete with the original VTF3-HO with turbo?

Output wise, based on Illka's testing and the CEA2010 numbers that have been published for the 15H, the new sub is definitely an upgrade. It looks much nicer too.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #39 of 5124 Old 11-07-2010, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 82
so how bad would this thing smoke a velodyne dls-5000r which costs about the same?

post #40 of 5124 Old 11-07-2010, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

You could sell your Ultras and replace them with the 15H and come out ahead.

Curtis those number are certainly impressive, if they are indeed the same CEA2010 methodogy Ikka use to measure the ultra. Not only is it better than the Ultra..it comes within 1-3db of the LMS 5400 in a similar box and tuning with 2000w.

That is a lot of stroke and displacement with not a lot of power.
Is this a conventional motor design or something like an XBL/2 or Underhung design?

Jeremy
Reaction Audio Subwoofers

post #41 of 5124 Old 11-07-2010, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Are those output numbers 2M GP or half space?

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #42 of 5124 Old 11-07-2010, 09:52 AM

Neat product from about 4X too large for my use.

It would be nice if they developed something for people who don't own McMansions. We all don't have 10000 c.f. dedicated HT rooms.

Oh well, I guess hsu remains off the list.
post #43 of 5124 Old 11-07-2010, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgebsl View Post

Curtis those number are certainly impressive, if they are indeed the same CEA2010 methodogy Ikka use to measure the ultra. Not only is it better than the Ultra..it comes within 1-3db of the LMS 5400 in a similar box and tuning with 2000w.

That is a lot of stroke and displacement with not a lot of power.
Is this a conventional motor design or something like an XBL/2 or Underhung design?

Even if output numbers are slightly exaggerated, they are still impressive, and Hsu tends to under spec their numbers.

Maybe I am doing the math wrong, but taking the 6dB into account for the 1 meter measurement, the numbers pretty much match the Ultra...right?

I asked Pete about XBL/2, and he said "no". I have no info about the driver other than it was designed/engineered from scratch by Dr. Hsu.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

post #44 of 5124 Old 11-07-2010, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Even if output numbers are slightly exaggerated, they are still impressive, and Hsu tends to under spec their numbers.

Maybe I am doing the math wrong, but taking the 6dB into account for the 1 meter measurement, the numbers pretty much match the Ultra...right?

I asked Pete about XBL/2, and he said "no". I have no info about the driver other than it was designed/engineered from scratch by Dr. Hsu.

Thank you Curtis. They are slightly higher but yes, very close.

That driver is pretty mean looking. There is definitely some output capability there. My question on the motor is it seems to be very efficient. A large magnet structure ?

I know it's soon but will there be any driver pics?
It looks handsome from the front. Surround is fat!!

Jeremy

post #45 of 5124 Old 11-07-2010, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Curtis, I think Hsu under specs their numbers, just look at their specs for the VTF subs compared against Ilkkas measurements. That being said, Hsu's numbers are nearly unbelievable, although I have no reason to doubt them. If anyone could pull this off, it's dr. Hsu. Imagine what a quad drive of those suckers would sound like!
post #46 of 5124 Old 11-07-2010, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeStack1 View Post

It would be nice if they developed something for people who don't own McMansions. We all don't have 10000 c.f. dedicated HT rooms.

They already make some compact subs. And I would have that big sub in my 17.5 x 14 room in a heratbeat. Not all have mansions, its just some of us are a little nuts.
Thank god for those who oblige the nuts!

Jeremy

post #47 of 5124 Old 11-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

My room is only 3300 c.f. The VTF-3 MK3 was a monster in it, this baby should be better in all aspects. If I sell the VTF-3 I should have enough money with what I already have saved for a nice veneer one. It should rock in my 1/3McMansion.
post #48 of 5124 Old 11-07-2010, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
I love HSU subwoofers, starting with the TN1220HO that did 101db at 12.5 Hz. And that was 10 years ago from a sub with an introductory price of $450 (plus amp).

I like the triangular ports on the new model, however, they aren't a new design. Here is one sub that had triangular ports:

http://reviews.cnet.com/subwoofers/a...-20172461.html

This goes back almost 10 years. There may have been others that also had triangular ports.

This new HSU sub is a great addition to the HSU line and especially at the introductory price, a great value.
post #49 of 5124 Old 11-07-2010, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I believe I have just found my personal Christmas present. Dedicated room is ~15x10x7 but has opening to a 6000 cu. ft. basement (sub will be ~10ft. from LP). This thing will fit awesome laid on its side under the front projection screen, with the spl I am looking for and a price that I can meet. This will be used for 97% movies/tv and plan to have it set for deep tuning with the ports plugged, but can't wait to play around with different tuning aspects. I sure am glad I waited to see what HSU was working on before pulling the trigger on a new sub.

I am somewhat confused on the variable Q control, that looks to go from .3 to .7, could someone better explain this function and how it works?
post #50 of 5124 Old 11-07-2010, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

I like the triangular ports on the new model, however, they aren't a new design. Here is one sub that had triangular ports:

http://reviews.cnet.com/subwoofers/a...-20172461.html

Does that sub use the porting structure as also a bracing for the cabinet? Also, the ports on the ADS are not flared...the Hsu flares on both ends...internal and external. You are right though, not generally a new design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

This new HSU sub is a great addition to the HSU line and especially at the introductory price, a great value.

My understanding is the pricing is not introductory...it is THE price.

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

post #51 of 5124 Old 11-07-2010, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:

Does that sub use the porting structure as also a bracing for the cabinet? Also, the ports on the ADS are not flared...the Hsu flares on both ends...internal and external.

My understanding is the pricing is not introductory...it is THE price.

Curtis

Good questions. I found the brochure from the ADS MS3 and this is what it says about the cabinet. Remember this is about 15 years ago.

"Made with heavily braced 3/4 inch MDF, the cabinets are key to the MetroSub's performance...."

"The LamFlow ports equalize air pressure across the speaker cone. The size and placement of the ports prevents the cone from tilting as it moves, thus keeping distortion low. The port geometry optimizes the Laminar Flow of air, which eliminates the "wind noise" produced by conventional ports.

You will have to decide for yourself if the description of the ports means that they were used for bracing. They were probably pretty sturdy as they formed a significant part of the bottom of the cabinet, and they were used to prevent the cone from tilting as it moved.

And, you are correct, as far as I can tell, that there was no flaring of the ports on the MS3.

I only remember the ADS MS3 because it was one of Tom Nousaine's favorite subs for several years, quite a while ago.
post #52 of 5124 Old 11-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

There are many subwoofers (particularly in Pro Audio and Car Audio) which have used triangular ports over the years. These designs are not continuously flared on both ends of the port like our design. In fact, from what I have seen, these designs typically do not have any external/internal flares at all.

We were surprised at how effective the port design was on the VTF-15H. In our internal testing, amazingly enough, these triangular ports showed significantly less port noise at moderate-to-high playback levels vs. comparably sized round heavily flared ports! In addition to providing the foundation for variable port tuning, these ports brace the largest panels of the enclosure. Compared to thin wide rectangular slot ports, the point of bracing is more optimal, and the ratio of cross-section-to-surface area tends to be more optimal too.

Sincerely,

Pete - Hsu Research
post #53 of 5124 Old 11-07-2010, 03:06 PM

If I were to order this say, tomorrow, Monday 11/8/10, when would I expect it to arrive in FL? My gf gets really pissed when she sees expensive packages show up at the door, and shes going out of town around Thanksgiving, so I want to try and time it to show up around then. lol.
post #54 of 5124 Old 11-07-2010, 03:22 PM

Never heard a Hsu sub, but have read that the VTF3.3 is "musical" is that to be expected of the 15H as well?
post #55 of 5124 Old 11-07-2010, 03:38 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:

Did I miss numbers for the 15H posted somewhere??

My DIY Subs ...

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #56 of 5124 Old 11-07-2010, 03:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 863
Quote:

You're going to pretend they don't make smaller subs just so they can "remain" off your list?

Sanjay
post #57 of 5124 Old 11-07-2010, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

At the Hsu forum:

http://forum.hsuresearch.com/showpos...47&postcount=1

Scroll down to 'Output Capability'.

Sanjay
post #58 of 5124 Old 11-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

shooot out..........

My Current 7.1 Set-Up
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Fronts
(2) Monitor Audio RS8'S: Rear back
(1) Monitor Audio RSLCR: Centre channel
(2) Monitor Audio RSFX: Surrounds sides
(1) Paradigm Signature Sub25
Pioneer Elite SC-05
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
OPPO DV-981HD
Sony Play Station 3
APC Power Conditioner...
post #59 of 5124 Old 11-07-2010, 04:48 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

At the Hsu forum:

http://forum.hsuresearch.com/showpos...47&postcount=1

Scroll down to 'Output Capability'.

Very impressive numbers. I can't recall, does 1M vs 2M = 6db diff or 3db?

Interesting that they don't post these kinds of specs on their other subs ...

My DIY Subs ...

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #60 of 5124 Old 11-07-2010, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Hsu View Post

...continuously flared on both ends of the port...

Pete,

Can you explain this design a little further? Having a hard time visualizing what continuously means in this context.

Thanks!

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing:

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page