The Official HSU VTF-15H Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 5124 Old 12-05-2010, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I received my sub last week but was out of town. Had the chance last night to uppackage it. It was funny when the Fexed driver 2 wheeler'd it to my door. He said what neighbors was I trying to piss off. The box is huge!!

For now I put it in the same spot as my former sub. Set it to Q2 and .3, Vol at noon.
On my AVR(Denon 2809) I switch the fronts from large to small. ( I am hoping I can run them harder for more midrange an high and not driving them for Bass.
Ultimately- I want to rerun audessey

Started with some music. Some top 40 pop. A few crazy song out there with some good bass.
Was listening loud. Bass was geat but I want more so I went to 2pm on the vol. That did the trick.

Then I popped in Transformers 2 Bluray in the ps3. I had to turn the vol. down to about 10AM.
The windows off the kitchen were vibrating in the opening credits.

Its is a beautiful unit!!! Still have to tweak the settings.

Here is a few pics of my former Mirage PS12-90 next to the VTF-15.

Pic one

Pic two

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 5124 Old 12-05-2010, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Finally got the chance to set-up my 15H which was delivered Wednesday. This thing rocks or should I say shakes? I blew a clock off the wall during set-up (not good for WAF). I still need to work on location. I also found that I have some nasty room resonances and nulls, who doesn't. I have asked Santa for a BFD to help tame the room and integrate my subs.

I also have a second sub, a Klipsch RSW-12, that I have had in my Klipsch reference system. So far they have played reasonably well together, but a DSP 1124P should really get them working better with the room. I have tried only a few set-up combos, but so far I like one port open, EQ2 and Q= 0.7, I have a large room. My room dimensions are 19.5 x 25 with the vaulted ceiling starting at 8.5 increasing to 14.

Now it's time to go fool around with some [b]deep[b] bass.

post #633 of 5124 Old 12-05-2010, 07:25 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtye8 View Post

I received my sub last week but was out of town. Had the chance last night to uppackage it. It was funny when the Fexed driver 2 wheeler'd it to my door. He said what neighbors was I trying to piss off. The box is huge!!

For now I put it in the same spot as my former sub. Set it to Q2 and .3, Vol at noon.
On my AVR(Denon 2809) I switch the fronts from large to small. ( I am hoping I can run them harder for more midrange an high and not driving them for Bass.
Ultimately- I want to rerun audessey

Started with some music. Some top 40 pop. A few crazy song out there with some good bass.
Was listening loud. Bass was geat but I want more so I went to 2pm on the vol. That did the trick.

Then I popped in Transformers 2 Bluray in the ps3. I had to turn the vol. down to about 10AM.
The windows off the kitchen were vibrating in the opening credits.

Its is a beautiful unit!!! Still have to tweak the settings.

Here is a few pics of my former Mirage PS12-90 next to the VTF-15.

Ha, my bro used to own the PS-12 90 (or maybe it was the 180 watt version?). Boy, the VTF is a monster next to it, WOW.

Having said that, the PS-12 was pretty much useless below 35hz or so, that HSU is going to blow it away, and rightly so comparing the woofer, amp, and box size advantage! Plus The PS-12 was quite "muddy" IMO with the bass it did put out. So you're in for a treat ...

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #634 of 5124 Old 12-05-2010, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD1225 View Post

Finally got the chance to set-up my 15H which was delivered Wednesday. This thing rocks or should I say shakes? I blew a clock off the wall during set-up (not good for WAF). I still need to work on location. I also found that I have some nasty room resonances and nulls, who doesn't. I have asked Santa for a BFD to help tame the room and integrate my subs.

I also have a second sub, a Klipsch RSW-12, that I have had in my Klipsch reference system. So far they have played reasonably well together, but a DSP 1124P should really get them working better with the room. I have tried only a few set-up combos, but so far I like one port open, EQ2 and Q= 0.7, I have a large room. My room dimensions are 19.5 x 25 with the vaulted ceiling starting at 8.5 increasing to 14.

Now it's time to go fool around with some [b]deep[b] bass.

You might consider removing the Klipsch sub. More than likely, it will only hamper the potential of the VTF-15H.

A Nice Radio Station with Great Music. For Those That Like That Sort of Thing: RadioParadise.com

post #635 of 5124 Old 12-05-2010, 10:57 AM

Liked: 11
This may seem like a stupid question, but how big is the box? I likely won't be around when FedEx delivers mine, so I'll need to pick it up. Should I take the SUV or the truck?
post #636 of 5124 Old 12-05-2010, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Just finished reading the manual. Seems like a great sub. How do you guys think this compares to the JLf113? Im starting to lean away from that sub i think because i can't get it for under 2k. But the size keeps drawing me back. How do compainies like HSU make powerful subs and they cost so little?(some of their subs anyway) at least compaired to the JL's price.

Can i demo this in home? I got the credit card ready .

home theater addict
post #637 of 5124 Old 12-05-2010, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEXXD View Post

This may seem like a stupid question, but how big is the box? I likely won't be around when FedEx delivers mine, so I'll need to pick it up. Should I take the SUV or the truck?

I was able to fit both a VTF-15h and a ULS-15 in the back of my Chevy HHR. No way I would be able to fit two VTF-15h's though.
post #638 of 5124 Old 12-05-2010, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 446
JL Audio's business modal creates a lot more expenses for them than Hsu's: JL has retailers that need to get paid, and that adds a hefty addition to the end price. JL also has some features that aren't cheap to implement, like all their on-board EQ features. Plus their cabinet and finish looks more expensive. They also try to keep their subs compact yet capable of big output, this is not easy or cheap to do, you need an expensive amp to do this.

If you want raw performance for your dollar, Hsu presents a much better value. No middle men to pay, simpler on-board EQing, not as expensive finish, and larger ported cabinet which does away with the need for a expensive amp. Hsu is also does subsonic frequencies better than JL, so if you have the room for its larger size, its really a no brainer. You could get two VTF-15s for the price of one F113, and two VTF15s would walk all over a single f113.
post #639 of 5124 Old 12-05-2010, 02:15 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
You're also comparing a smallish sealed sub to a considerably larger ported box .... kind of an apples to oranges thing.

If you can fit the size of the ported VTF, go with that. The ULS-15 is probably going to get you 80 to 90% of the performance of the F113 as well, if you like the smaller box, and you can get two of them for the price of a single F113. Somewhat a no brainer IMO if you're willing to go with ID.

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #640 of 5124 Old 12-06-2010, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

JL Audio's business modal creates a lot more expenses for them than Hsu's: JL has retailers that need to get paid, and that adds a hefty addition to the end price. JL also has some features that aren't cheap to implement, like all their on-board EQ features. Plus their cabinet and finish looks more expensive. They also try to keep their subs compact yet capable of big output, this is not easy or cheap to do, you need an expensive amp to do this.

If you want raw performance for your dollar, Hsu presents a much better value. No middle men to pay, simpler on-board EQing, not as expensive finish, and larger ported cabinet which does away with the need for a expensive amp. Hsu is also does subsonic frequencies better than JL, so if you have the room for its larger size, its really a no brainer. You could get two VTF-15s for the price of one F113, and two VTF15s would walk all over a single f113.

Actually, I can buy 4 VTF-15H for the price of 1 F113 in Puerto Rico...
The F113 sounds similar to the VTF-15H in sealed mode...(as tight, with very little overhang) I think output would be close too...(except at lower freqs, where I give the nod to the VTF due to larger driver and cabinet)
In ported mode, the F113 is no match at the lower freqs to the VTF-15, obviously...

Cacimar Hernandez
post #641 of 5124 Old 12-06-2010, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEXXD View Post

15H box was th esame size as my VTF-3 HO box even thought the 15H is a good bit larger. 33(h)x27(w)x24(d). The box is huge.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #642 of 5124 Old 12-06-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

I was able to fit both a VTF-15h and a ULS-15 in the back of my Chevy HHR. No way I would be able to fit two VTF-15h's though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

15H box was th esame size as my VTF-3 HO box even thought the 15H is a good bit larger. 33(h)x27(w)x24(d). The box is huge.

Much appreciated.
post #643 of 5124 Old 12-06-2010, 05:39 PM

I received shipping confirmation of my VTF-15H in Rosenut. Estimated delivery December 9th .
post #644 of 5124 Old 12-06-2010, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dachness View Post
I received shipping confirmation of my VTF-15H in Rosenut. Estimated delivery December 9th .
You'll like it.
post #645 of 5124 Old 12-06-2010, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

A quick graph with my newly arrived SMS-1.
I'm just running through the manual so not many adjustments made. What I find interesting is the graph changes from opening a door in the room.

Both ports open/ Q=0.7
LL
post #646 of 5124 Old 12-06-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachness
When did you place your order?
post #647 of 5124 Old 12-06-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skooba View Post

When did you place your order?

9:50am Pacific time today.
post #648 of 5124 Old 12-06-2010, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputter1 View Post

I'm just running through the manual so not many adjustments made. What I find interesting is the graph changes from opening a door in the room.

Both ports open/ Q=0.7

Sputter really nice response. If you brought everything down about 7dB you'd be flat from what looks like below 15Hz to 100Hz. Nice job.

BTW: how do you like the SMS-1? Since I knew you where getting one I was holding off until you got your first. I'd love to replace my BFD for something that is less tedious and time consuming to take readings.

post #649 of 5124 Old 12-06-2010, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

Both ports open/ Q=0.7

Quote:

Sputter really nice response. If you brought everything down about 7dB you'd be flat from what looks like below 15Hz to 100Hz. Nice job.

That is not necessarily an accurate picture. The levels are set too high. You'll notice the trace between about 32hz and 63hz follows the top of the screen. The overall volume is set to high to get an accurate plot. It wouldn't be able to show if there were peaks that are any higher. You need to drop the overall volume on the receiver when running the tests.
post #650 of 5124 Old 12-06-2010, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

That is not necessarily an accurate picture. The levels are set too high. You'll notice the trace between about 32hz and 63hz follows the top of the screen. The overall volume is set to high to get an accurate plot. It wouldn't be able to show if there were peaks that are any higher. You need to drop the overall volume on the receiver when running the tests.

I'll get some more time tomorrow to play. I'll back off the lvls even more.
post #651 of 5124 Old 12-06-2010, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Another tip: One of the really good uses of the SMS-1 is to help integrate your sub nearly perfectly with the main speakers. To do that, you seed to run it so that it sends the test signal through the whole system including the mains. Then you can directly see how smooth (or not) the critical crossover area is. You can then gradually tweak the phase control on the SMS to get the frequency response as smooth as possible in the crossover region. This is very powerful stuff.
post #652 of 5124 Old 12-06-2010, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW: how do you like the SMS-1? Since I knew you where getting one I was holding off until you got your first. I'd love to replace my BFD for something that is less tedious and time consuming to take readings.

So far I like it. The real time graphing is cool. The "what if" is so easy,
this will be a huge help in sub placement. Once I get the feel for the software i'll be quicker at it. You just sit with the remote and play away lol.
post #653 of 5124 Old 12-06-2010, 09:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Another tip: One of the really good uses of the SMS-1 is to help integrate your sub nearly perfectly with the main speakers. To do that, you seed to run it so that it sends the test signal through the whole system including the mains. Then you can directly see how smooth (or not) the critical crossover area is. You can then gradually tweak the phase control on the SMS to get the frequency response as smooth as possible in the crossover region. This is very powerful stuff.

Mike...isn't it better to have a peak at the crossover point, which would indicate that the output of the mains and sub are in phase, and then smooth out that peak with EQ?

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #654 of 5124 Old 12-07-2010, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post
Mike...isn't it better to have a peak at the crossover point, which would indicate that the output of the mains and sub are in phase, and then smooth out that peak with EQ?
Yes, but for some reason it doesn't seem to usually happen that way unless the phase is spot on and there happens to be a room peak that just happens to coincide with the crossover point.
post #655 of 5124 Old 12-07-2010, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Mike, how do you make the connections to do this?

post #656 of 5124 Old 12-07-2010, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

The SMS has stereo audio outputs that you can feed into any available analog input on your receiver. It will generate sweep signals from 15hz to 200hz through your whole system instead of just through the sub. If you switch to that input when you run the tests, you can then see the response which includes the bottom range of your two main front speakers. While you can't actually use it to eq the main speakers, you can use the phase settings to get the best blend at the crossover point.

It is also important to use it this way if you are using the SMS in conjunction with room correction such as Audyssey, ypao,etc. This way it in enables you to see the room-corrected response which you can then further tweak using SMS. Otherwise you are simply generating test tones into the sub and you would have no idea about the actual combined effect.
post #657 of 5124 Old 12-08-2010, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

A new graph.

One port open/Q=.3/EQ=1
post #658 of 5124 Old 12-08-2010, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Sputter, it looks like your getting the hang of it. How do you like the real time curve? I'm guessing it's a lot easier than the BFD or paper.

post #659 of 5124 Old 12-08-2010, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sputter, it looks like your getting the hang of it. How do you like the real time curve? I'm guessing it's a lot easier than the BFD or paper.

You can't beat real time. Instant gratification or frustration
post #660 of 5124 Old 12-08-2010, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A new graph.

One port open/Q=.3/EQ=1

That curve is looking pretty good. How is it sounding? Have you tried using the phase adjustment on the SMS? I would assume you are using a crossover of 80hz. I notice the dip in the are just under the 80hz marker despite the significant boost at 80hz. This may be caused by a phase shift in the crossover. This may be just the thing can you might be able to improve with the phase adjustment without having to use such a large boost. Boosts are not very effictive in counteracting phase cancellation.

Also, keep in mind that all of the filters are fully parametric, meaning that the center of the adjustment points and the bandwidth of the filters are fully adjustable. It does not appear that you have made use of that yet.

Have fun!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page