post #211 of 5124 Old 11-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist View Post

It's here!! My VTF-15H has arrived! I'll update my decision thread with pics sometime today!

Pictures or it didn't happen!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 5124 Old 11-12-2010, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalumberjack View Post

He has a link on his thread that he started.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #213 of 5124 Old 11-12-2010, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist View Post

It's here!! My VTF-15H has arrived! I'll update my decision thread with pics sometime today!

Would this be the first one in the wild?
post #214 of 5124 Old 11-12-2010, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord260 View Post

Would this be the first one in the wild?

I think someone at the open house bought one.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #215 of 5124 Old 11-12-2010, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Pictures! Sorry terrible quality from terrible camera and even worse photographer, pictures taking is not my thing but I thought that maybe a few of you would want to see some pics. Camera died before I finished speaker and sub final placement (moved lcr up to match depth of this monster).

Audyssey 2eq run on THX Onkyo reciever with sub bumped to +2 db hot. Sub 9:00 Q.5 ports open and firing. I don't have any measurement equipment now, hopefully soon but DIY acoustic panels up next before that purchase. Just finished watching WOTW at -8 and whoa!!!! Zero port noise (home run on new design) and I never could tell the 1400w burst was running out at any extended bass scene. Just clean, smooth, hard hitting bass jumping into the bones. Mine is also signed by the good ol' Doc on amp and is a great personal touch to an awesome bang for the buck sub. Huge thank you to Dr. HSU, Pete, and everyone else at HSU Research. Also got in 12 gauge monoprice wire to run to fronts and a new center channel stand today that I put together and got this beast from garage to basement by myself. I am beat and going back to enjoy the new toy! I will check in tomorrow, hope someone enjoys pics and I again apologize for the crappy quality.

post #216 of 5124 Old 11-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post
I believe it's possible that the HSU could meet the CEA numbers mentioned. Why? Because when adjusted 6db down to allow for the 2m distance, they are essentially the same numbers that the PB13 have already been tested for. Nobody disputes the PB13's numbers. Assuming equal efficiency as the PB13 (who knows, it may be higher because of the bigger woofer), if the HSU amp can manage as much short-term power as the SVS, then it should make about the same numbers.
In general I am always very wary about comparing different data sets. There are many different variables involved, even when looking at CEA2010 data. For example, does one use single tone bursts or an averaging of tone bursts? Was there a fudge factor to convert the CEA2010 peak output to RMS output? Does one measure with the subwoofer in normal orientation or a different orientation?

Our measurement procedure is as follows:

We place the subwoofer in the middle of a parking lot. We use Beta 1.62 version of the CEA2010 software developed by Don Keele. We use a TES 1356 SPL Calibrator to calibrate the mic (Earthworks M30) before each test. We use the Pre-pro mic preamp, the same one that Don Keele uses. We do not use any fudge factor. We place the subwoofer in the normal upright position as suggested in the CEA2010, place the mic on the floor directly in front of the front baffle, 1 m from the woofer dust cap. We then test up to the highest level without hitting 'fail'. We do not use averaging.

So the reality is that our data is not directly comparable to any other data set that is gathered without using the exact same test procedures that we do. We believe in the validity of our methodology, but we do have to be careful about making extrapolations.

Sincerely,

Pete - Hsu Research
post #217 of 5124 Old 11-12-2010, 08:27 PM

Liked: 12

Hook the sub up to the TV in the background :-)

My experience with Mackcam Warranties. Projector sent with HDMI issue, returned with Lens damage. Still no ETA. 6 Months waiting to date. Sporadic response from CS. Stated it was sent to Epson, but was sent to another repair shop.
post #218 of 5124 Old 11-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp View Post
Pictures! Sorry terrible quality from terrible camera and even worse photographer, pictures taking is not my thing but I thought that maybe a few of you would want to see some pics. Camera died before I finished speaker and sub final placement (moved lcr up to match depth of this monster).

Audyssey 2eq run on THX Onkyo reciever with sub bumped to +2 db hot. Sub 9:00 Q.5 ports open and firing. I don't have any measurement equipment now, hopefully soon but DIY acoustic panels up next before that purchase. Just finished watching WOTW at -8 and whoa!!!! Zero port noise (home run on new design) and I never could tell the 1400w burst was running out at any extended bass scene. Just clean, smooth, hard hitting bass jumping into the bones. Mine is also signed by the good ol' Doc on amp and is a great personal touch to an awesome bang for the buck sub. Huge thank you to Dr. HSU, Pete, and everyone else at HSU Research. Also got in 12 gauge monoprice wire to run to fronts and a new center channel stand today that I put together and got this beast from garage to basement by myself. I am beat and going back to enjoy the new toy! I will check in tomorrow, hope someone enjoys pics and I again apologize for the crappy quality.
Looks fantastic Luke, what a nice home theater you have there, congrats! Thank you for everything, please enjoy!

Sincerely,

Pete - Hsu Research
post #219 of 5124 Old 11-12-2010, 10:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I'm more than likely going to have to place mine sideways like that as well. The white part of my screen is about 26 1/2 inches off the ground.
post #220 of 5124 Old 11-12-2010, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
If you find that the finish of the sub is more reflective than you care for to be placed next to a projection screen, just cover the top with a sheet of black velvet, this is what I do. As I am sure you know, anything you cover with black velvet utterly disappears in a darkened room.
post #221 of 5124 Old 11-13-2010, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Luke! Glad that you got your sub too! Enjoy, man!
post #222 of 5124 Old 11-13-2010, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalumberjack View Post
In case you missed these...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pbmpharmacist/
post #223 of 5124 Old 11-13-2010, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Hsu View Post

In general I am always very wary about comparing different data sets. There are many different variables involved, even when looking at CEA2010 data. For example, does one use single tone bursts or an averaging of tone bursts? Was there a fudge factor to convert the CEA2010 peak output to RMS output? Does one measure with the subwoofer in normal orientation or a different orientation?

Our measurement procedure is as follows:

We place the subwoofer in the middle of a parking lot. We use Beta 1.62 version of the CEA2010 software developed by Don Keele. We use a TES 1356 SPL Calibrator to calibrate the mic (Earthworks M30) before each test. We use the Pre-pro mic preamp, the same one that Don Keele uses. We do not use any fudge factor. We place the subwoofer in the normal upright position as suggested in the CEA2010, place the mic on the floor directly in front of the front baffle, 1 m from the woofer dust cap. We then test up to the highest level without hitting 'fail'. We do not use averaging.

So the reality is that our data is not directly comparable to any other data set that is gathered without using the exact same test procedures that we do. We believe in the validity of our methodology, but we do have to be careful about making extrapolations.

Sincerely,

Thank you for posting this in detail Pete. Thumbs up.
post #224 of 5124 Old 11-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Dear Kevin,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12586 View Post

Pete, my basement is over 6000 cubic feet. I am happy with the bass I currently get, but I want more which is why I was thinking of adding the VTF-15H to the dual HO's.

Which would give me more output and sound the best: (keep in mind I also have an MBM)

1. Keep the 2 HO's and add a VTF-15H
2. Sell the 2 HO's and get dual VTF-15H's

Thanks

I think you should start by adding one VTF-15H. Assuming that you are very happy with it, then the next step would be to sell the HO's and get another VTF-15H. That's not to say that mixing and matching can't work, but results are more predictable when using identical true subwoofers.

A couple VTF-15H will fill this space really nicely. Should make for a huge upgrade!

Sincerely,

Pete - Hsu Research
post #225 of 5124 Old 11-13-2010, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

I'm more than likely going to have to place mine sideways like that as well. The white part of my screen is about 26 1/2 inches off the ground.

The VTF-15H in it's normal orientation without feet is exactly 25" tall, and exactly 26" tall with feet. If that ends up cutting things to close, then putting the unit on it's side is just fine too!

Sincerely,

Pete - Hsu Research
post #226 of 5124 Old 11-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

If you find that the finish of the sub is more reflective than you care for to be placed next to a projection screen, just cover the top with a sheet of black velvet, this is what I do. As I am sure you know, anything you cover with black velvet utterly disappears in a darkened room.

Good suggestion! The Satin Black finish is actually much less reflective than any Piano Gloss Black finish, so with the lights dim it should work nicely.

Sincerely,

Pete - Hsu Research
post #227 of 5124 Old 11-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

Thank you for posting this in detail Pete. Thumbs up.

You are most welcome Ricci!

Pete - Hsu Research
post #228 of 5124 Old 11-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Just a heads up everyone, we recently added a VTF-15H Quick-Setup Guide and VTF-15H Owner's Guide to our website. These are listed as a *.pdf file in the lower right hand corner of the VTF-15H product page.

The Owner's Guide is actually the Owner's Manual (yes, even though rare nowadays, we did provide an Owner's Manual!!!), and provides some details on placement, settings, operating modes, Q control, etc.

Sincerely,

Pete - Hsu Research
post #229 of 5124 Old 11-13-2010, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I look forward to anyone who has had experience with JL F112 subs that move to this unit for two channel. I currently have a pair and have contemplating a change. Was looking at a pair of Empire of Quad Legends.

I am incredibly happy with my JL and am awaiting for impressions of the SB12 as well. Concern with the SVS is output above 20hz in comparison to the JL though.

Also, what finishes if any are in the pipeline on this sub?
post #230 of 5124 Old 11-13-2010, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

True subwoofer with an attitude. Very dynamic, fills in the sound beautifully then bam, right there in the thick of it when called upon. I feel it plays everything exactly like the soundtrack asks of it. Excellent home theater subwoofer and from the little music I have listened to it is no slouch in that department. Thats it for me, I will leave the rest of the reviews to the pros as I am just an enthusiast in the audio department and don't have the proper measurement equipment or years of knowledge and comparisons that many members of the forum have. I am once again extremely satisfied and look forward to seeing how others feel!

If anyone wants to discuss anything just shoot me a pm as I don't want to derail thread. Thanks for the suggestion shadyJ, just got back from fabric store with a yard of black velvet and works great!
post #231 of 5124 Old 11-13-2010, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

The VTF-15H in it's normal orientation without feet is exactly 25" tall, and exactly 26" tall with feet. If that ends up cutting things to close, then putting the unit on it's side is just fine too!

Sincerely,

I have a rather large open family room as my HT. (15x20x12 vaulted and opens to kitchen). Placement would be best sideways with 26 inch side facing the listening area. Other options can be accommodated but this would be ideal if it is a realistic option.

Bob

post #232 of 5124 Old 11-14-2010, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good suggestion! The Satin Black finish is actually much less reflective than any Piano Gloss Black finish, so with the lights dim it should work nicely.

Sincerely,

My old Hsu had the Piano Glass Black finish and my VTF 15 is satin black. They are nothing alike. The VTF 15 isn't very reflective at all.
post #233 of 5124 Old 11-14-2010, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

True subwoofer with an attitude. Very dynamic, fills in the sound beautifully then bam, right there in the thick of it when called upon. I feel it plays everything exactly like the soundtrack asks of it. Excellent home theater subwoofer and from the little music I have listened to it is no slouch in that department. Thats it for me, I will leave the rest of the reviews to the pros as I am just an enthusiast in the audio department and don't have the proper measurement equipment or years of knowledge and comparisons that many members of the forum have. I am once again extremely satisfied and look forward to seeing how others feel!

If anyone wants to discuss anything just shoot me a pm as I don't want to derail thread. Thanks for the suggestion shadyJ, just got back from fabric store with a yard of black velvet and works great!

Hey Luke,

Sounds like you are just as happy as I am! Congrats and enjoy!
post #234 of 5124 Old 11-14-2010, 07:14 AM

This thing looks great and sounds like it is awesome. I am wondering how this thing will stack up against the new Velodyne DD-15 Plus Sub. I am in the market for a pair of subs but never bought a ID sub before. I have been looking at the Epik Empires, svs, ed's & rythmiks. I have one question, how come only a 350 watt amp in this unit?
post #235 of 5124 Old 11-14-2010, 08:10 AM

350 watts is plenty for this unit. It all goes into the design, driver, and effeciency. This product was developed for over 2 years so I assume Dr. Hsu has the power plus enclosure size characteristics down to a science.
post #236 of 5124 Old 11-14-2010, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_ACP_AUTO View Post

This thing looks great and sounds like it is awesome. I am wondering how this thing will stack up against the new Velodyne DD-15 Plus Sub. I am in the market for a pair of subs but never bought a ID sub before. I have been looking at the Epik Empires, svs, ed's & rythmiks. I have one question, how come only a 350 watt amp in this unit?

It doesn't matter.

It could be 5 watts and that wouldn't matter. All that matters is the performance, and one aspect of performance is the output numbers that have been posted. If those numbers are even close to accurate, this sub has very impressive output and compares extremely favorable to the subs from the other manufacturer's that you mention.
post #237 of 5124 Old 11-14-2010, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dear Kevin,

I think you should start by adding one VTF-15H. Assuming that you are very happy with it, then the next step would be to sell the HO's and get another VTF-15H. That's not to say that mixing and matching can't work, but results are more predictable when using identical true subwoofers.

A couple VTF-15H will fill this space really nicely. Should make for a huge upgrade!

Sincerely,

Thanks Pete. Once I purchase one if I don't have too much trouble calibrating them together I may just keep all 3, but we will see.
post #238 of 5124 Old 11-14-2010, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is the dog in the picture for comparison purposes only? Either the sub is really big or you've got a miniature Shepard. (Check out my sig) Nice sub.

"For deep bass, the listener is not really listening to the speaker, but rather, is listening to the room as it is being played by the speaker."
Juicy
Doggie Jabber
post #239 of 5124 Old 11-14-2010, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 70
I've seen the sub before, so I can say that is a big shepherd!

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #240 of 5124 Old 11-14-2010, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

She is a large female 85lb Shepherd. The sub is not small by any means, but a small sub wasn't what I was looking for. Pic for comparison and to show two large animals that are very gentle but do have a loud bark and a strong bite!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Hsu Research , Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page