Definitive Technology Supercube III $420 new, can I do better (@ this price) 4 music? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-16-2010, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey, brand new member, been lurking for a little while...

I just picked up a Definitive Technology Supercube III for $420 brand new as my friend works at HT chain Video Only. It really was the best sub they had there, otherwise it was Prosub 1000, some Klipsch stuff and then Polk & BA. $420 is a bit more than I had walked in there wanting to pay... at first I was gonna get the Prosub 1000 for $350, I kinda jumped on the SCIII after recalling the prices I saw online for it.

So finally my question... could I have done any better for a musical sub at a cap of $420 to spend? (I can return it within 30 days if I don't like it.) I listen to a large variety musical genres, I don't necessarily need super sub bass extension (though feeling dubstep is nice). It seems like it'll be just fine for HT use.

I already have Infinity Primus P362 fronts and an Infinity Primus PC250 center.

The only other sub I was kinda looking at was the KRK 10s to go with my KRK RP8 G2 studio monitors for music production (up in the bedroom) but thought about trying it out for HT/music listening downstairs first. (Can get these w/ easy financing from an online retailer.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-16-2010, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 100
http://emotiva.com/ultra_sub10.shtm

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #3 of 13 Old 11-16-2010, 07:08 AM

Liked: 10
I imagine you will be able to answer your own question after living with the DefTec for a few weeks. You will either be pleased or not with it and you have a month to figure it out.

$420 is a good price for a new one. The best I have seen is $380 for floor models at BestBuy/Magnolia.

You may want to compare a sealed sub as well and the one brian links to meets your budget. For all practical purposes, the DefTech should be considered a 'ported' sub.

One type isn't necessarily better than another
post #4 of 13 Old 11-16-2010, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeStack1 View Post

I imagine you will be able to answer your own question after living with the DefTec for a few weeks. You will either be pleased or not with it and you have a month to figure it out.

$420 is a good price for a new one. The best I have seen is $380 for floor models at BestBuy/Magnolia.

You may want to compare a sealed sub as well and the one brian links to meets your budget. For all practical purposes, the DefTech should be considered a 'ported' sub.

One type isn't necessarily better than another

Thanks for the voice of reason, I'll give it go and see how I feel. I was just freaking out on the purchase and second guessing myself for home sub use. Funny since I have experience running live sound in various situations. I'm just afraid of these HT subs being all boomy and inarticulate when I get them home.

Don't like what I see after researching that Emotiva either. I like being able to walk into the store w/ it if there are probs.

If I don't like it after 30 days I should be able to craigslist it for the same amount I paid anyway.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-16-2010, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxReal View Post

I like being able to walk into the store w/ it if there are probs.

Expect to pay out the ass for it. There is a reason almost nobody on these forums buys brick and mortar subs. For that same $420 you can get a subwoofer from a company like Hsu, eD, etc, that will severely outperform that sub.

The only reason to buy those subercube's is if you absolutely HAVE to have a very small subwoofer, be it for WAF reasons, placement issues, etc. But if you have the space for a normal sized sub you can get much more bang for your buck.

Klipsch RF-62 L/R, RC-62 C, Energy C-100 SL/SR, HSU VTF-15H, Marantz SR5003.

"All speakers sound good when you're on a coke binge in the middle of an orgy." - Heebdawg16
post #6 of 13 Old 11-17-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrimnir View Post

Expect to pay out the ass for it. There is a reason almost nobody on these forums buys brick and mortar subs. For that same $420 you can get a subwoofer from a company like Hsu, eD, etc, that will severely outperform that sub.

In YOUR opinion. Agreed, at MSRP, B&M subwoofers are often not competitive with ID. At discounts approaching 50% and greater, B&M can be plenty competitive. Plus the obvious advantage of money back with no shipping hassle, and same day in-home evaluation offers real value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrimnir View Post

The only reason to buy those subercube's is if you absolutely HAVE to have a very small subwoofer, be it for WAF reasons, placement issues, etc. But if you have the space for a normal sized sub you can get much more bang for your buck.

Not the only reason, but I agree in general.

It does seem that many on here can't emphatize with those having other priorities that must be balanced along with technical performance. This may be sacrilege, but not everbody may really need 20Hz or 110+dB performance
post #7 of 13 Old 11-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeStack1 View Post

In YOUR opinion. Agreed, at MSRP, B&M subwoofers are often not competitive with ID. At discounts approaching 50% and greater, B&M can be plenty competitive. Plus the obvious advantage of money back with no shipping hassle, and same day in-home evaluation offers real value.

Sorry if my post came across harsh, i wasn't intending it to be that way.

You are correct about the discounts part, but realistically those situations are going to be few and far between. Won't argue the money back/shipping argument, thats the defining benefit IMO.

The point i was trying to make more was that if you're gonna spend 420, give or take, on a sub, and you don't have the size constraints, or waf concerns, you really should be looking at a proper sub. I'm not saying the subercube's are crap, but they are designed for a specific purpose, and that is to take up as little space as possible.

Klipsch RF-62 L/R, RC-62 C, Energy C-100 SL/SR, HSU VTF-15H, Marantz SR5003.

"All speakers sound good when you're on a coke binge in the middle of an orgy." - Heebdawg16
post #8 of 13 Old 04-15-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:

I just picked up a Definitive Technology Supercube III for $420 brand new as my friend works at HT chain Video Only. It really was the best sub they had there, otherwise it was Prosub 1000, some Klipsch stuff and then Polk & BA. $420 is a bit more than I had walked in there wanting to pay... at first I was gonna get the Prosub 1000 for $350, I kinda jumped on the SCIII after recalling the prices I saw online for it.

So finally my question... could I have done any better for a musical sub at a cap of $420 to spend? (I can return it within 30 days if I don't like it.) I listen to a large variety musical genres, I don't necessarily need super sub bass extension (though feeling dubstep is nice). It seems like it'll be just fine for HT use.

The only other sub I was kinda looking at was the KRK 10s to go with my KRK RP8 G2 studio monitors for music production (up in the bedroom) but thought about trying it out for HT/music listening downstairs first. (Can get these w/ easy financing from an online retailer.)

I've been struggling on which to get also. I can get a refurb SC III for $350 (the seller has a great reputation) or a new Emotiva Ultra Sub 10 new for $329. I need advice!! More concerned about music than HT.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-15-2011, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

You asked if you could do better than the SCIII for $420, and the answer is yes. HSU has a great reputation for inexpensive musical subs.

In professional testing the SCIII was mediocre in measurements. But if you like the sound, that may be all that matters. Personally, I like something that tested well, and has a good reputation for sound quality.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-15-2011, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
If priced the same I really don't see how the Emotiva can be championed over the Def Tech.
The performance looks pretty comparable to me.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...2-measurements

http://www.definitivetech.com/docume...Gem_HT1205.pdf

Regards,
Charlie

post #11 of 13 Old 04-15-2011, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by chashint View Post

if priced the same i really don't see how the emotiva can be championed over the def tech.
The performance looks pretty comparable to me.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...2-measurements

http://www.definitivetech.com/docume...gem_ht1205.pdf

post #12 of 13 Old 04-16-2011, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandluke View Post
This is probably obvious to everyone else, but I don't know what you mean.

Regards,
Charlie

post #13 of 13 Old 04-17-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chashint View Post

This is probably obvious to everyone else, but I don't know what you mean.

What are the measurements of the dt sub from an independent review?

Nothing wrong with dt subs per se, but I'd try an emotive ultra12 first.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page