Old HSU VTF-2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-19-2010, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was looking to buy an old HSU VTF-2 from this guy asking $175. I believe it was when the first models came out so I guess we are talking about 8 years old?? He claims it only has around 20 hours of use and no cosmetic damage or abuse. No kids old enough to know what a subwoofer is to crank it up and cause damage. Said his wife didn't like it as it was too loud so he had to downgrade.

He is going to get back to me on shipping costs because he is about 2 hours away from me and I dont have the time to drive and check everything out. You think $200 shipped for that sub is too much? I know HSU is an excellent brand but I am not sure how well the first VTF-2's held up especially over the years with very minimal use.

I'm a big advocate or listen before you buy but I figured this seemed like a really good deal seeing how the current MK3's sell for $450 or so. Correct me if I'm wrong but I could possibly upgrade the amp from HSU as well if the old sub starts to lose its punch.

Please let me know if this is a good deal or if there were any issues on the original VTF-2's.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-19-2010, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
A very fair price for that sub and I think an excellent value in a $200 subwoofer range. I got a used one 6 years ago and it performed quite admirably in our main basement home theater and later in our upstairs theater and finally in my brother-in-law's home theater where its still kicking out some tuneful bass for him today. That particular sub was built in 2001 (according to the paperwork that came with it) and hasn't missed a-lick in all those years. Back then it garnered a lot of postive reviews. With one port opened it will do 23Hz in just about any room and it got down to 20Hz in our basement. I don't think you should hesistate too long otherwise someone else is liable to beat you to it.

"For deep bass, the listener is not really listening to the speaker, but rather, is listening to the room as it is being played by the speaker."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-19-2010, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response.
I figured that is a very favorable price especially for a HSU which has a proven name. I didn't want to hesitate too long even though I hate buying things before trying them out myself. I was just wary about the wear on it especially over the years. But if he is telling the truth, 20 hours is nothing, I might have racked up 20 hours in the first day I got my original sub haha.

Looks like I may have to take a leap of faith and snatch it up.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-19-2010, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 220
I have owned two of the original Hsu VTF-2's. The first I purchased B-Stock directly from Hsu and used it for a couple years before selling it to a friend. It still works great. The second I purchased used for $75 a little over a year ago. The surround on the driver had deteriorated, which I was told has happened to many drivers from this sub since the surround was made of foam. I purchased a new driver from Hsu for $115 shipped. The new driver is the same one they use with the current VTF-1 and it has a rubber surround. They said it would work fine with the older amp and deliver the same specs. I use this VTF-2 in my office. Hsu also mentioned that the amps on the original VTF-2 might have problems at some point due to age. If this happens, they will repair the amps for a small charge.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-19-2010, 08:13 AM

What was your friends name and email?

post #6 of 8 Old 11-19-2010, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks desert. Yeah I'm hoping it should work great seeing how its only been used for 20 hours. I'm sure by the time it will need a repair I'll be ready for a $500+ sub.

I'll give you that information Taoggnikat if the shipping cost is too much for me. haha.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-19-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondbacvenomx View Post
Thanks desert. Yeah I'm hoping it should work great seeing how its only been used for 20 hours. I'm sure by the time it will need a repair I'll be ready for a $500+ sub.

I'll give you that information Taoggnikat if the shipping cost is too much for me. haha.
Hah, its ok...was more of a little humor

post #8 of 8 Old 11-19-2010, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I think foam surround deterioration has a lot to do with how much light and heat the speaker was exposed to over its life and probably less about hours of use. UV and heat will greatly shorten the life span of a foam surround (greatly)... at least that has been my experience with used speakers (I've purchased quite a few from the 80's and early 90's vintages and sun exposure can be estimated by the amount of fading of the grill cloth). In this regard it helps that the original VTF-2 is a down-firing configuration... however nearby heater vents can also accelerate surround deterioration. Moisture (humidity) probably also has an effect on the usable life of a surround.

"For deep bass, the listener is not really listening to the speaker, but rather, is listening to the room as it is being played by the speaker."

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page