PSW505 vs PA-120 vs other 250 dollar subs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-23-2010, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I keep hearing the PA-120 sub is simply just better than the PSW505. How is this possible? Is this just a fad and people are just talking out their ass (happens a lot online) or is this really true and why is it true and have you actually heard both subs? The PA-120 has technically better specifications but of course we all know a lot of manufacturers give a little poetic license when it comes to putting their specs out. The Amplifier RMS though is something that I would assume both companies would be fairly accurate on and the PSW505 has 100 watts on the PA-120 and both boxes seem to be about the same size (PA-120 is actually 150 cubic inches bigger after calculating) so I guess factoring that in it could hit lower frequencies (correct me if I'm wrong I'm no expert)?

In all it looks the PA-120 would hit lower and the PSW505 would be a little louder? I would like to hear opinions from people who have owned both or at least can give me a good reason why the PA-120 is a better sub rather than "It's simply better I HAVE IT!" or "It's from an ID company so it must be good!".

Edit:
Read the sticky so the room is a 12 by 12 mostly going to use my sub for music but it should be able to do both reasonably well. It'll be the first sub I've bought by itself I'm currently using the Z-5500 and LOVE it so I'm betting anything I buy will blow my socks off anyway for movies so music/gaming is definitely the majority of what it's going to be used for). Time Frame isn't a big issue either is appearance as I'm not wifed. Style is important but no where near as important as performance but if it's like a 20 dollar difference for a better look I'm all for it. This will be bumping at any time during parties at my house (live in a frat house so noise isn't a concern on most days) so being able to hit hard and low is important.

Err that's about it thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-24-2010, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Individuals in this forum like the BIC PL-200 or Lava LSP12 in the under $300 price range. You need to check the individual forums for how to get the best price.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-24-2010, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post

I keep hearing the PA-120 sub is simply just better than the PSW505. How is this possible? Is this just a fad and people are just talking out their ass (happens a lot online) or is this really true and why is it true and have you actually heard both subs? The PA-120 has technically better specifications but of course we all know a lot of manufacturers give a little poetic license when it comes to putting their specs out. The Amplifier RMS though is something that I would assume both companies would be fairly accurate on and the PSW505 has 100 watts on the PA-120 and both boxes seem to be about the same size (PA-120 is actually 150 cubic inches bigger after calculating) so I guess factoring that in it could hit lower frequencies (correct me if I'm wrong I'm no expert)?

In all it looks the PA-120 would hit lower and the PSW505 would be a little louder? I would like to hear opinions from people who have owned both or at least can give me a good reason why the PA-120 is a better sub rather than "It's simply better I HAVE IT!" or "It's from an ID company so it must be good!".

Check this link: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...684&highlight=
post #4 of 10 Old 11-24-2010, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i have the bic pl-200 and am happy with it. newegg has 505 for 200 today if that will sway you
post #5 of 10 Old 11-25-2010, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Emotiva is having a sale on their subs which are just a hair over $250 with free shipping.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-25-2010, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is $289 just a hair over $250?
post #7 of 10 Old 11-25-2010, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Seen it I did some research before making the thread.
I know NewEgg has the PSW505 cheap thats why I'm asking although a 50 dollar price difference isn't too much if I get more quality.

As for the Lava sub ok that is actually still within my price range if I stretch a bit (I'm known to do that sadly) but what about the BIC and how do these compare to the PSW505 because I still haven't heard a person who has had a PSW505 and another sub similar to it or heard another sub similar to it.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-25-2010, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post

Emotiva is having a sale on their subs which are just a hair over $250 with free shipping.

I feel like a 10 inch sub wouldn't beat the PA-120 or the lava or bic would it? I don't know of course but it seems the Lava and the Bic would be better overall and that I'd only buy the Emotiva if I had a space restraint.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-26-2010, 09:03 AM
NBR

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OP,

My room is a tad bigger than your room and I was just "ok" with the Emotiva 10 inch subwoofer. I'd say skip it. I don't think I'll touch another 10 inch subwoofer EVER AGAIN. I no longer own it and I'm glad, it was just barely enough to get by with movies. Maybe their 12 inch would do better but that's in another price range.

Currently, I'm stuck on the lava or bic pl200 as well.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-28-2010, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

In another thread I've asked how the PSW stacks up to the Bic. As for the BIC vs Lava they are the exact same price so I'm pretty sure that either would do and I doubt you'll find many people who owned both. I can't imagine one being significantly better than the other although maybe one would be better for movies and another for music? Either way I doubt you'd be unhappy with either but if people can convince me the BIC and Lava are significantly better I'll just buy the one that looks nicer and let you know how I like it.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page