Another "help me pick a subwoofer" thread. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-25-2010, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Howdy! I'm currently looking to upgrade from my dual Klipsch RW-12d subs and I *think* I have it narrowed down to two subs. My room deminsions are 11.4' x 25' x 8.5' (w/ 1' x 1.5' tray ceiling). I want to continue running dual subs and both subs must remain behind my false wall (please see my theater in my sig) and must offer the at least the same output in SPL as the Klipsch, or better. What I am looking to gain is a cleaner sound and a deeper extension. The Klipsch do put out some good bass, especially a few feet out from the stage and the rear of the room (I still need to play with placement and bass trapping), but I'm looking for a better sub.

The subs I've been highly considering are 2x PC12-NSD's or 2x Epik Empire subs. I personally like the cylinder subs... Just a personal preference. Both subs are in my budget and from the massive amounts of searching I've done on the forum, they're pretty close in performance... Maybe the Empire's might have more output?

If I had to put a price on the upgrade of two subs, I think $1,500 is fair. I am also open to other suggestions. I also already have a Anti-Mode 8033c. As far as use: 50%-movies / 45%-gaming / 5%-music.

I'm not interested in eD... I've purchased from them before.

-Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Almost "complete".
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-

SONY quality and customer service FTMFL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-25-2010, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 519
I would make the stretch for the new Hsu VTF-15H. It costs a little more but it gets you a big increase in performance. If you don't want to make that stretch, check out the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, which is on sale today for 650, free shipping, and free wireless signal transmitter. That is a hell of a deal.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-25-2010, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The VTF-15H looks nice, but that'll be over $2k after shipping. Why would you recommend the Outlaw over the other two I'm looking at?

-Jason

- Almost "complete".
-

-

post #4 of 11 Old 11-25-2010, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 519
The Outlaw will be on par with the PC12-NSD with regards to performance, but cost less, although it won't have quite as much output as the Empire. Outlaw is also throwing in a free wireless transmitter in a sale, the OAW3, which is a $150 value. If you didn't want that wireless option you could just sell the wireless transmitter for quite a bit and save even more money. If money is tight, this is a great deal, a very good SPL/$ ratio. The LFM series are terrific subs.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-26-2010, 07:49 AM

Liked: 11
Have you looked at the CHT (Chase Home Theater) 18T? Dual 18" subs in your price range. Specs here. http://www.chasehometheater.com/inde...art&Itemid=120

Alan
post #6 of 11 Old 11-26-2010, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post

Have you looked at the CHT (Chase Home Theater) 18T? Dual 18" subs in your price range. Specs here. http://www.chasehometheater.com/inde...art&Itemid=120

+1. I have the 18.T's and they are superb for HT and music. Much better than the Paradigm Servo-15 they replaced.

CHT SHO-10 x 5 powered by Denon 4311 and Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #7 of 11 Old 11-26-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post

The VTF-15H looks nice, but that'll be over $2k after shipping. Why would you recommend the Outlaw over the other two I'm looking at?

I just ordered mine it was about 1080.00 shipped. Still waiting. Should be here next thur or friday. This sub should shake your house
post #8 of 11 Old 11-26-2010, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm currently warming up the idea of two VTF-15H's to the wife.... We'll see. I honestly think two of the SVS would do well if they're any bit better than the RW-12d's they'd be replacing.

-Jason

- Almost "complete".
-

-

post #9 of 11 Old 11-27-2010, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
I'm currently warming up the idea of two VTF-15H's to the wife.... We'll see. I honestly think two of the SVS would do well if they're any bit better than the RW-12d's they'd be replacing.
I think the pc12's would be a great upgrade. One was overkill in my 1800cft room so 2 should give you what your looking for.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #10 of 11 Old 11-27-2010, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's good feedback. As nice as those HSU's look, I don't know that I need to spend over $2k to get the sound I want. With the extra 10% off with SVS right now (+5% for buying duals?), I can get two PC12-NSD's for pretty cheap. At that price, I could upgrade to four total later.

-Jason

- Almost "complete".
-

-

post #11 of 11 Old 12-05-2010, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Update: I just placed an order for 2 PC12-NSD's. I also am building a sonosub out of a spare woofer I have and will give it a shot in the rear of the room. We'll see how well it "blends" with the 2 SVS subs.

-Jason

- Almost "complete".
-

-

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page