Epik Empire vs.Hsu vtf-15h,Dayton rs1202a and CS 18.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-30-2010, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I started a thread a few months ago(car audio "bass head" in need of help transitioning to Home Theater),and afterwards I've almost made up my mind on which sub to buy.I've been doin my research,but since the date of the thread (in sept.)I've noticed some new interesting gear has come out. Its been kind of a battle between the cs 18.1 and the empire to this point,but then I see the 2 other mentioned subs and they look pretty interesting.Has any 1 done any comparisons with these subs?? Any owners feedback and links to reviews of the newer subs would be GREATLY appreciated. My vitals as metioned in the last thread are,,,.budget $1000,no real size limitations(just not a armoire sized sub,smile)11'9'11' room,and equal listening habits(HT,TV,games,music). I have a best bang for the buck approach to this,if I don't have to spend the whole budget,id rather not.if a higher price sub blows a lower priced out the water,I want it.But if their all bout equal,ill go with the lower priced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-30-2010, 05:22 PM

The closest comparison will be from these guys. Keep an eye out for their review if they end up posting it. Here is a quick initial impression of the VTF-15H and CHT 18.1:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post19551226
post #3 of 12 Old 11-30-2010, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 103
That is an eD sub being compared in the shootout, not the VTF-15H. Does your room have any openings? The VTF is a big sub and has got plenty of output and I am loving it. That said I was in a different boat with room layout. If it is sealed and 1089 cubic feet I would think a sealed sub would be the way to go with getting the benefit from room gain and getting great output with a sealed subs roll off. I haven't heard much about the dayton, but I think any of your list would be good in that size of room. I really like that with the 18.1 you can add a passive to have dual subs down the road for a good price.
post #4 of 12 Old 11-30-2010, 06:24 PM

Liked: 11
Luke - They added a VTF-15 to the mix, and have 2 other subs on the way. It's now a 5 way test.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-30-2010, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I had missed out there for a while. I will be looking forward to their impressions of the upcoming five way shootout!
post #6 of 12 Old 11-30-2010, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp View Post

That is an eD sub being compared in the shootout, not the VTF-15H. Does your room have any openings? The VTF is a big sub and has got plenty of output and I am loving it. That said I was in a different boat with room layout. If it is sealed and 1089 cubic feet I would think a sealed sub would be the way to go with getting the benefit from room gain and getting great output with a sealed subs roll off. I haven't heard much about the dayton, but I think any of your list would be good in that size of room. I reall like that with the 18.1 you can add a passive to have dual subs down the road for a good price.

I do have 1 door sized opening to my dining room which is half the size.and a PASSIVE 18.1??interesting.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-30-2010, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe I should clarify a lil too.I'm a lil more curious about the vtf 15h in comparison to the others.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-30-2010, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think they have been compared as the VTF is rather new. They will be doing the comparison posted above coming up. Audioholics has the VTF in its upcoming shootout as well. Personally I like the ported sub sound for home theater and sealed for music. With the VTF and its variable tuning, I can have the best of both worlds. I can also change extension with eq switch and use Q control to adjust frequency response to set it up many different ways. Craig has tone burst measurements posted and the VTF has CEA2010 burst measurements. VTF is a big ported 15" that will roll off past tuning when in a ported mode. 18.1 is a smaller box sealed 18" that will more slowly roll off and can go really low with room gain (MK getting to below 7hz nicely in his crazy bass bomb shelter!) They are really very different designs. You have to decide on what is most important to you. That being said I really like subs and all of these subs are awesome and I don't think you will be disappointed. I remember blowing $1000 for car amp as a single man back in the day thinking what a deal, and now having the choices for home theater ID subs for a thousand bucks has me smiling from ear to ear. If I could just get the wife on board I would be having my own shootouts. However in the last year I have spent more money on home theater than my current car cost me when I bought it and my wife has put me on thin ice. I have the home theater bug and it is a great hobby. I told her I would sell this house and live in my own movie theater trailer if she would let me get away with it! Good luck I am sure you will be happy whichever way you go.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-01-2010, 05:21 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by maney View Post

My vitals as metioned in the last thread are,,,.budget $1000,no real size limitations(just not a armoire sized sub,smile)11'9'11' room,and equal listening habits(HT,TV,games,music).

Not sure I understand the room dimensions?

My DIY Subs ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #10 of 12 Old 12-01-2010, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

Not sure I understand the room dimensions?

11'x9'x11' sorry
post #11 of 12 Old 12-01-2010, 05:18 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Not open to any other space? If not, that is a very small space to power and will have significant room gain. Personally, I'd go with a sealed sub that utilizes a second order rolloff as you'll have plenty of gain in the 10 to 30hz arena. Any of the mentioned subs would be overkill in your room and leave you with significant head room.

I can't say I've read anything about the Dayton though.

My DIY Subs ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #12 of 12 Old 12-02-2010, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Ok folks,thanx to everybody for the comments.I've checked out the shootout,and I am really anxious to see the 5 way shootout.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page