SVS PB12-NSD DSP overkill for a 16' x 9 1/2' HT room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 12-13-2010, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Building a dedicated home theater room 16' long and just under 10' wide (8' ceiling). Is this sub too much for that dimension or just right? Reason I ask is that it takes up a lot of real estate and I am trying to find a spot for it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-13-2010, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Getting a sub that can fill your room and more isn't overkill. It's called 'having headroom'. The less you have to drive a sub to its limits, the more refined it will perform.

In a small room, floorspace may be the restricting feature. You should also look at the PC12-NSD as an option. This has a smaller footprint, but is 35" tall. Get the one that best fits your room. Either one will kick a$$ in your HT. In your smallish room, you might also consider the SB12-NSD. You should get significant room gain down low that would give the little sealed sub quite a performance boost where it could actually outperform the big ported versions over a wider FR.

Randy
post #3 of 17 Old 12-13-2010, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post

Getting a sub that can fill your room and more isn't overkill. It's called 'having headroom'. The less you have to drive a sub to its limits, the more refined it will perform.

In a small room, floorspace may be the restricting feature. You should also look at the PC12-NSD as an option. This has a smaller footprint, but is 35" tall. Get the one that best fits your room. Either one will kick a$$ in your HT. In your smallish room, you might also consider the SB12-NSD. You should get significant room gain down low that would give the little sealed sub quite a performance boost where it could actually outperform the big ported versions over a wider FR.

Hi...thanks. I should have clarified that I already own the sub in the thread title! SO, I guess I am going at it from a point of view that I should either sell it and get something smaller or keep it and try to fit it in somewhere.

Any placement suggestions?
post #4 of 17 Old 12-13-2010, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob67 View Post

Hi...thanks. I should have clarified that I already own the sub in the thread title! SO, I guess I am going at it from a point of view that I should either sell it and get something smaller or keep it and try to fit it in somewhere.

Any placement suggestions?

Not too many options for placement. If you can stay out of the corners, that would help. You shouldn't need any boundary reinforcement. If you'll have space behind the seating, that could work. That is where I had mine in a similar (actually smaller) room.

Of course, you can always list it for sale and see if you get a good price for it, which you should. Then buy the SB12-NSD. Much smaller and should work very well in that size room.

Randy
post #5 of 17 Old 12-13-2010, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
if you would call that sub overkill in a 1200^3 ft room what would you say to me who is thinking of (and should soon have) dual HSU ULS-15s in a 860^3 ft room ?
post #6 of 17 Old 12-13-2010, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

Building a dedicated home theater room 16' long and just under 10' wide (8' ceiling). Is this sub too much for that dimension or just right? Reason I ask is that it takes up a lot of real estate and I am trying to find a spot for it!!

For a dedicated theater that size, I would say it's just right. Maybe another one down the road

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #7 of 17 Old 12-27-2010, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

For a dedicated theater that size, I would say it's just right. Maybe another one down the road

LOL...thanks. I guess I will have to make room for it.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-04-2011, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

LOL...thanks. I guess I will have to make room for it.

Didn't mean to necropost but I thought I would update...I finished my room and the sub is a beast and is taking up a ton of real estate. Right now, I am hiding it behind one of my reclining chairs along a wall.

You can't see it in these photos but it is off to the right of the photo with the bookcase on the far wall. In the photo with the TV, it is behind the chair on the left...
LL
LL
post #9 of 17 Old 07-04-2011, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Nice-looking room!

I used to have a PB12-NSD (w/ BASH amp) in my relatively-large (15' x 30' 7.5' = 3,375 cu.ft.) room and it performed reasonably well in there. I can only imagine that the newer PB12 must really rock in your smaller HT space!

(I had thought of doubling-up w/ another PB12, but opted to go for new duals instead. I sometimes regret not having at least tried a dual PB12 set-up.)

BTW, you can't start a thread about buying a new sub and then, once you've bought it, not post at least one pic of it!
post #10 of 17 Old 07-04-2011, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Nice-looking room!

I used to have a PB12-NSD (w/ BASH amp) in my relatively-large (15' x 30' 7.5' = 3,375 cu.ft.) room and it performed reasonably well in there. I can only imagine that the newer PB12 must really rock in your smaller HT space!

(I had thought of doubling-up w/ another PB12, but opted to go for new duals instead. I sometimes regret not having at least tried a dual PB12 set-up.)

BTW, you can't start a thread about buying a new sub and then, once you've bought it, not post at least one pic of it!

Here you go.

Yes, it destroys this room. LOL
The good thing is I soundproofed it pretty well. Doubled up the drywall panels, and went with 1/2" panels. Used Green Glue for dampening between the panels and the high end soundproofing insulation. This room is tucked away in my basement and you can't hear anything upstairs except minor bass. It sounds like the clothes dryer is on in the next room when a movie like Saving Private Ryan is hitting it pretty hard.
LL
post #11 of 17 Old 07-04-2011, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:

Here you go.

Excellent, thanks!

Quote:

Yes, it destroys this room. LOL

I have no doubt.

Nice job with the soundproofing, and the aesthetics! Congrats!
post #12 of 17 Old 07-04-2011, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Excellent, thanks!

I have no doubt.

Nice job with the soundproofing, and the aesthetics! Congrats!

Appreciate it...was 6 months in the making (not counting the years of building up my gear and saving to do it right!). Just calibrated the sound in the room and the TV (it's a new 60" Sammy plasma). Needless to say, my wife and I are blown out of our chairs with how much different the experience is. We still have some ambient decorating to do, though.

My system and TV used to be in our living room upstairs and it is an open floorplan with a cathedral ceiling...so the sound just goes everywhere. By bringing everything into this self contained (and sound proofed) space, you really hear all the clarity and bass as it should sound.

And, you can jam it late at night and not wake the kids who are sleeping two floors up!
post #13 of 17 Old 05-02-2013, 10:49 AM

Liked: 10
Sorry for post jacking but I have a simuluar question I have a 2008 cu ft space. And Im looking to get 2 svs pb12's to work with my 5.1 set up soon to be 7.2 currently I have a onkyo txnr809 with kef q700's up front q600 center and q300 doing rear duties might get the q800's dipoles or maybe another set of q300's I'm trying to future proof my set up cuz I will be moving into a townhouse and will then have a nice lil man cave so my question is should I get 2 pb12's or just one for now thanks in advance
post #14 of 17 Old 05-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob67 View Post

There's no such thing as having to much bass.
For that size room, you should be running dual PB12-NSD subwoofers, at a minimum.

Never go with a single sub, regardless of the the size and shape of your room.
Multiple subwoofers smooth out the bass response and address the problem of standing waves in your room.

If you can't afford dual subs, wait until you have enough money saved up to buy two.

post #15 of 17 Old 05-02-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 425
Hey Rob,
What a nice looking room and setup.. glad all your work is panning out so well for you and family. Congrats!

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #16 of 17 Old 05-04-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I used a PB12 NSD in a small bedroom 13x12 it was more than enough.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm SIg2 v3's & 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #17 of 17 Old 07-23-2013, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post

There's no such thing as having to much bass.
For that size room, you should be running dual PB12-NSD subwoofers, at a minimum.

Never go with a single sub, regardless of the the size and shape of your room.
Multiple subwoofers smooth out the bass response and address the problem of standing waves in your room.

If you can't afford dual subs, wait until you have enough money saved up to buy two.

Holy necro post thread! Forgot about this post!

Thanks, been running with just that one for a long time. I really don't have any more room for another and it seems to do the job well enough for me. I am not so much an audio purist as I am a video purist so it works. Maybe, someday, when I am able to build my dream room I will do it right. This was my first stab at a media room and it has served us well the last few years.

Thanks guys!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page