Best value subwoofer for purely music listening - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 12-17-2010, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
 
DirtyDeeds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please advice as looking for the best subwoofer purely for music listening purposes. Do I really have to buy something around 800-900 dollars of a sub in order to get the best subwoofer for listening purposes? What others can you recommend you know is the best bang for the buck? Is rythmik subwoofer the best bang for the buck subwoofer with regards to pure music listening or are there cheaper alternatives?
DirtyDeeds is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 12-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
TCARCIO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Massachussetts
Posts: 848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The new Lava subs are showing they are very good for the money. Check out a review for the 12" model. http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...iscussion.html
TCARCIO is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 12-17-2010, 05:59 PM
 
diamonddelts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDeeds View Post
Please advice as looking for the best subwoofer purely for music listening purposes. Do I really have to buy something around 800-900 dollars of a sub in order to get the best subwoofer for listening purposes? What others can you recommend you know is the best bang for the buck? Is rythmik subwoofer the best bang for the buck subwoofer with regards to pure music listening or are there cheaper alternatives?
For a smaller musical sub you could go with a Emotiva 12 or 10.

For a medium range musical sub you could go with a Rhythmik sub

For a large musical sub "I" would go with the CS 18.1 or 18.2 if your budget allows. They are big subs that perform EXCELLENT with music.
diamonddelts is offline  
post #4 of 20 Old 12-17-2010, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
 
DirtyDeeds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts View Post
For a smaller musical sub you could go with a Emotiva 12 or 10.

For a medium range musical sub you could go with a Rhythmik sub

For a large musical sub "I" would go with the CS 18.1 or 18.2 if your budget allows. They are big subs that perform EXCELLENT with music.
Thanks dd. It will be for a medium sized room and as I have researched and read, Rythmik has always been highly recommended. Just looking for other options but surely it is on the top of my list. Options being a cheaper without sacrificing sound quality with regards to music listening. I will look into that emotiva sub as well. I know they are highly regarded for their value with amplifiers but never really looked into their speaker and subwoofer line. Will read reviews about it as well. Thanks again dd.

TCARCIO, I have clicked the link with regards to that lava sub. Never heard of it but will read more about it. Thanks for the suggestions.
DirtyDeeds is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 12-18-2010, 07:09 AM
Senior Member
 
taoggniklat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Loveland, CO
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would look into the Emotiva 12", Epik Legend and HSU VTF2m3 before the Lava subs....for a music system.
taoggniklat is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 12-18-2010, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wwinkler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: northern virginia
Posts: 1,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
At under $400 (shipped), the Hsu STF-2. My STF-2 is absolutely superb with the 4-6 large drums in the grand finale and closing credits of the movie "Fame".
wwinkler is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 12-18-2010, 07:25 AM
Member
 
natsp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
in regards to how big a sub to get for mostly music ,occasional movie.if the room is large with an opening to a med room,how much of a diffrence does it make if the listening area is 10 to 15 ft away from speaker/sub
natsp is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 12-18-2010, 07:52 AM
 
diamonddelts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDeeds View Post

Thanks dd. It will be for a medium sized room and as I have researched and read, Rythmik has always been highly recommended. Just looking for other options but surely it is on the top of my list. Options being a cheaper without sacrificing sound quality with regards to music listening. I will look into that emotiva sub as well. I know they are highly regarded for their value with amplifiers but never really looked into their speaker and subwoofer line. Will read reviews about it as well. Thanks again dd.

TCARCIO, I have clicked the link with regards to that lava sub. Never heard of it but will read more about it. Thanks for the suggestions.

No problem man. You might also be interested in the EPIK Legend.
diamonddelts is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 12-18-2010, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
monomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: up north
Posts: 1,767
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDeeds View Post

Please advice as looking for the best subwoofer purely for music listening purposes...

Based upon the above quote, I have just a single answer for you, Rythmik.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDeeds View Post

...Do I really have to buy something around 800-900 dollars of a sub in order to get the best subwoofer for listening purposes?...

However it sounds like you're willing to compromise based upon cost, so in that case you will have others to choose from... HSU would be a personal suggestion of mine.

"For deep bass, the listener is not really listening to the speaker, but rather, is listening to the room as it is being played by the speaker."
Juicy
Doggie Jabber
monomer is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 12-18-2010, 08:55 AM
Member
 
comsimat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've done an AB comparison with lava and legend. The legend is noticeably more musical than the lava.
comsimat is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 12-18-2010, 09:33 AM
Member
 
chewbacca121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Rythmik 100% have the F15 love it!!
chewbacca121 is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 12-18-2010, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
 
DirtyDeeds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post

Based upon the above quote, I have just a single answer for you, Rythmik.

However it sounds like you're willing to compromise based upon cost, so in that case you will have others to choose from... HSU would be a personal suggestion of mine.


Thanks monomer..
DirtyDeeds is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 12-18-2010, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
par4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hsu STF-2, very nice.
par4 is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 12-18-2010, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
 
DirtyDeeds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HSU stf-2 seems like a very good value. There is also the craigsub cs 10.2 which seems to be a very good value as well. I would just want to ask any of you who had experience on both, which is more musical. And also the question of placement as I would want to have it at the front beside one of the speakers. Really appreciate the responses as I am just learning. At first, I was totally into not purchasing a subwoofer and sticking to a 2.0 system as I was into the idea that subwoofers will degrade sound quality... I guess I'm totally wrong and there are multiple options for music friendly subwoofers.

I also see a number of posts asking the same question as I do and like them, I appreciate yall's help.
DirtyDeeds is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 12-18-2010, 09:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Avgass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
+1 vote for a Rythmik. If you need something bigger get the F15 or F15hp. If you need to save money and have some spare time, go with one of the DIY Rythmik kits.
Avgass is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 12-19-2010, 05:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Adam-DiVine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Belvidere, NJ
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The Hsu is ported, the other suggestions are sealed. No problem with one over the other, just a different sound. There are not that many CS 10.2's out there, so you may have a hard time getting a comparison. You could visit http://www.chasehometheater.com and ask Craig, he has owned and ehard the subs that you are comparing.
Adam-DiVine is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old 12-19-2010, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
 
DirtyDeeds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam-DiVine View Post

The Hsu is ported, the other suggestions are sealed. No problem with one over the other, just a different sound. There are not that many CS 10.2's out there, so you may have a hard time getting a comparison. You could visit http://www.chasehometheater.com and ask Craig, he has owned and ehard the subs that you are comparing.

Thank you.....If you don't mind me asking, what should I be looking for? What is the sound difference between ported and sealed? What is a better match for lets say a good bookshelf/monitor speakers?
DirtyDeeds is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 12-19-2010, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
holt7153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 3,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDeeds View Post

Thank you.....If you don't mind me asking, what should I be looking for? What is the sound difference between ported and sealed? What is a better match for lets say a good bookshelf/monitor speakers?

I recently shopped for a sub for a 2.1 music system and I found more people on AVS who said sealed would be better a better choice for music (although there were plenty of votes for a good ported sub). After an exhaustive search I went with the SVS SB12-NSD for 6 bills shipped and I'm very happy. For me it came down to SVS and Rythmik.

******************

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
holt7153 is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old 12-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Avgass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Ported vs sealed is a can of worms (the debate rages) but here goes...

Ported have quite a bit more output, especially around their tuning frequency but they are also a bit bigger for the same size driver. They also have very low distortion around their tuning frequency. As such they are generally very good value for money and are great for home theatre and many enjoy them for music too. Some of the highest regarded subwoofer designs are ported.
Sealed have a more natural roll-off in the lowest frequencies. Fans of ported subs will flame me for this but - I prefer sealed subs due to what I perceive as a tighter, more accurate sound which is especially important for music. This is the effect of group delay which is generally lower in sealed subs. The following is an interesting article by Adire Audio about group delay...
http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/GroupDelay.pdf

For bookshelf/monitor speakers, sealed subs have an added advantage in that they do not suffer from port resonance when crossed over higher.
Avgass is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 12-19-2010, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
 
DirtyDeeds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgass View Post

Ported vs sealed is a can of worms (the debate rages) but here goes...

Ported have quite a bit more output, especially around their tuning frequency but they are also a bit bigger for the same size driver. They also have very low distortion around their tuning frequency. As such they are generally very good value for money and are great for home theatre and many enjoy them for music too. Some of the highest regarded subwoofer designs are ported.
Sealed have a more natural roll-off in the lowest frequencies. Fans of ported subs will flame me for this but - I prefer sealed subs due to what I perceive as a tighter, more accurate sound which is especially important for music. This is the effect of group delay which is generally lower in sealed subs. The following is an interesting article by Adire Audio about group delay...
http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/GroupDelay.pdf

For bookshelf/monitor speakers, sealed subs have an added advantage in that they do not suffer from port resonance when crossed over higher.

Thank you for the response and also for that link. Appreciate it much.
DirtyDeeds is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off