Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 797 Old 02-08-2011, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity View Post

lmao. why the hell would you 'need' to test something as cpmmonly known as 'two ports will produce more output, one port will produce less upper end output but more lower end, no ports will be best damped and have least output except well at the low end'

anyone who knows how ports work can tell you the above just like the review did. it would have been nice to review those aspects no doubt but it isnt unprofessional. the guy had time constraints and was reviewing like 6 subs.

the svs has 3 tuning modes, the rythmik has two, and the hsu has three. all were treated the same way so as to be kindest to their output abilities.

fact is you're just pissy because as ive stated before and others have noticed... you lack reading comprehension. you think by fabricating implications you're reading between the lines even though youre just ignoring facts as they are ACTUALLY stated. you imagine more than what exists!

balh blah blah...btw with your so mighty knowledge the vtf-15h as at least 5 tuning points not 3...as you stated and was so sure about!...1...2 ports open EQ2...2 1 port open EQ 1..3 ..1 port pen EQ2...4 sealed EQ2 ..and 5 sealed EQ1.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 797 Old 02-08-2011, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge71 View Post

balh blah blah...btw with your so mighty knowledge the vtf-15h as at least 5 tuning points not 3...as you stated and was so sure about!...1...2 ports open EQ2...2 1 port open EQ 1..3 ..1 port pen EQ2...4 sealed EQ2 ..and 5 sealed EQ1.....

Actually, Eternal Velocity is correct in stating that there are three tuning points in the HSU VTF-15. The tuning point of the subwoofer is based upon the port length. By plugging one or both ports, you effectively alter the the port length, which changes the sub's tuning point. Because there are only three combinations of port length (both open, one closed, both closed), there are three tuning points available.

I have a feeling that the EQ adjusts the frequency response, which is not the same as adjusting the subwoofer's tuning point.

Life is good.
post #543 of 797 Old 02-08-2011, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

blah blah blah...btw with your so mighty knowledge the vtf-15h as at least 5 tuning points not 3...as you stated and was so sure about!...1...2 ports open EQ2...2 1 port open EQ 1..3 ..1 port pen EQ2...4 sealed EQ2 ..and 5 sealed EQ1.....

You are wrong again. It has 3 tuning points. 22Hz (2 ports open), 16Hz (1 port open), and sealed (do I need to tell you that's no ports open). The Q adjustment is NOT a tuning point. Another big L on your forehead.

Randy
post #544 of 797 Old 02-08-2011, 05:40 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 31
He's probably just reading this from HSU's site ...

Quote:

Hybrid Tuning: Support for five different operating modes, including both ported and sealed hybrid modes, best-in-class operating mode flexibility

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #545 of 797 Old 02-08-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post

You are wrong again. It has 3 tuning points. 22Hz (2 ports open), 16Hz (1 port open), and sealed (do I need to tell you that's no ports open). the Q adjustment is NOT a tuning point. Another big L on your forehead.

the Q is part of the tuning no?....playing with HSU'S manual and the ''fine tuning'' now?....
post #546 of 797 Old 02-08-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

He's probably just reading this from HSU's site ...

Of course i read it first..lol...if not i wouldnt say it....and i also own it so maybe i tried the differents tunings?
post #547 of 797 Old 02-08-2011, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did he tried the one plugged port or 2 to be sure and state that lower extension could be achieved?...just tell me yes or no?....

No. But he didn't test the other adjustable ones in other tunings. That's because the standards he used are to test the max output capability, not max depth. All ports open on all the subs gives the max output.

Quote:

the only fact that he state that it could be acheived with out even try it and test it is enough for me to call that a biased review and an unprofessional review!...leave me alone now with those easy...''oh but all subs were tested the same way!''...the difference that makes the VTF-15H apart from the others is that it is much more adjustable!...yes some of the others can also be tuned differently but not as much as the VTF-15H.....

How does this make it biased? Do you even know what biased means?

You are also wrong about the HSU being the most adjustable. It doesn't come near the SVS for this. These are the controls for the SVS:
Volume (dB)
High pass filter adjustment (disable/enable, frequency, and slope)
Low pass filter adjustment (disable/enable, frequency, and slope)
Phase setting (degrees)
High pass delay (milliseconds)
Room compensation (disable/enable, frequency, and slope)
Subwoofer tune (sealed, 16Hz, 20Hz)
Parametric EQ (PEQ) 1 and PEQ 2 (frequency, level and Q for each)
These make the SVS greatly more adjustable/tunable than the HSU.

The Rythmik has these adjustments:
Multi-tune 18hz (2 ports) and 12hz (1 port)
Crossover slope Selectable 12 or 24 dB / octave (PEQ)
Crossover range (Low pass) 25 - 100 Hz
Rumble Filter (High pass ) 18 Hz 18 dB / octave for two port tuning
Phase adjustment 0 - 180 degrees continuously variable
Bass damping factor settings high (Q=0.5), med (Q=0.7), and low (Q=1.1)
Single band PEQ
This makes the Rythmik more adjustable/tunable than the HSU.

And, no. The Q setting on the HSU is not a tuning point. It is just a compensation setting.

Randy
post #548 of 797 Old 02-08-2011, 06:12 PM

Liked: 42
The Q control adjusts the sub, call it whatever you want. And the SVS model better have more options, it's 500 more than the Hsu.

The point is the sub was not tested fully. I also complained earlier that they should have also tested the SVS fully. They've dropped a notch or two in my book, other books may vary.

And the decision to test the subs on their sides was odd, and yes I've read why they did it. Whether that reduced the Hsu's performance or not will hopefully be shown in the next review, hopefully not done by some stuffy arrogant dude with a hate on for Bash, various cone designs or the feel of volume knobs. Just tell me how the sub performs, and I'll be good.
post #549 of 797 Old 02-08-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:

No. But he didn't test the other adjustable ones in other tunings. That's because the standards he used are to test the max output capability, not max depth. All ports open on all the subs gives the max output.

How does this make it biased? Do you even know what biased means?

You are also wrong about the HSU being the most adjustable. It doesn't come near the SVS for this. These are the controls for the SVS:
Volume (dB)
High pass filter adjustment (disable/enable, frequency, and slope)
Low pass filter adjustment (disable/enable, frequency, and slope)
Phase setting (degrees)
High pass delay (milliseconds)
Room compensation (disable/enable, frequency, and slope)
Subwoofer tune (sealed, 16Hz, 20Hz)
Parametric EQ (PEQ) 1 and PEQ 2 (frequency, level and Q for each)
These make the SVS greatly more adjustable/tunable than the HSU.

And, no. The Q setting on the HSU is not a tuning point. It is just a compensation setting.

Sorry but i meant the EQ....with the EQ you have 5 tuning points!...what ever....the user manual is now wrong..lol....im out of here too...i am always wrong and all of the others are always right...didnt want to bother you all...have a good time.
post #550 of 797 Old 02-08-2011, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The drunker you get the player you think...

The SVS has 3 tuning options, stock 20hz, 16hz and sealed along with a PEQ to reduce a single peak in the FR and Room Compensation which filters room gain to attain the flattest FR.

The Rythmik has at least 6 tuning options (some say 9). 3 filters to adjust rolloff 28hz, 20hz and 14hz, high. medium and low damping, then the ports, open, 1 plugged and sealed.

The Hsu has 3 tunes, and Q which I suppose acts like the tuning settings on the SVS, but perhaps has some PEQ capability.

Some of the various settings will have marginal can be of great benefit (room dependent), but some just won't.

If you're going to argue, then you'd best have a firm footing. Serge and VTF are standing on quicksand.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #551 of 797 Old 02-08-2011, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

The Q control adjusts the sub, call it whatever you want. And the SVS model better have more options, it's 500 more than the Hsu.

Adjustment/compensation, yes. Tuning, no. My post was just to correct Serge's misconception, developed by believing the OEM hype. The SVS and the Rythmik both have more adjustments/compensation options than the HSU. And yes, that's what a higher price will get you. As well as cones made from more exotic materials, stronger motor assemblies, and more powerful amps. Which is what the reviewer kept trying to point out.

Quote:

The point is the sub was not tested fully. I also complained earlier that they should have also tested the SVS fully. They've dropped a notch or two in my book, other books may vary.

This was not a subwoofer functionality test. Get that through your head.

Quote:

And the decision to test the subs on their sides was odd, and yes I've read why they did it. Whether that reduced the Hsu's performance or not will hopefully be shown in the next review, hopefully not done by some stuffy arrogant dude with a hate on for Bash, various cone designs or the feel of volume knobs. Just tell me how the sub performs, and I'll be good.

They did it to level the playing field for subs that are and were supposed to be in the shootout. You only think it was unfair to HSU because Pete said he thinks it might have had an affect. I don't believe his argument.

The reviewer stated up front he had a bias against Bash designs. But for their reliability. He also stated he was surprised by the performance. That's called 'eating his own words'. Why is this not enough for you?

Show me anywhere that he criticized the cone for being paper.

I would have liked to seen more measurements for distortion, impulse response, THD, and others. Other than that, I thought it was a good review that was VERY favorable to the HSU sub. If it hurt your feelings, oh well. Tissue?

Randy
post #552 of 797 Old 02-08-2011, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

The SVS has 3 tuning options, stock 20hz, 16hz and sealed along with a PEQ to reduce a single peak in the FR and Room Compensation which filters room gain to attain the flattest FR.

The Rythmik has at least 6 tuning options (some say 9). 3 filters to adjust rolloff 28hz, 20hz and 14hz, high. medium and low damping, then the ports, open, 1 plugged and sealed.

The Hsu has 3 tunes, and Q which I suppose acts like the tuning settings on the SVS, but perhaps has some PEQ capability.

Some of the various settings will have marginal can be of great benefit (room dependent), but some just won't.

If you're going to argue, then you'd best have a firm footing. Serge and VTF are standing on quicksand.

A Joe Walsh reference. Nice one Ron.

BTW, the new Sledge amp has two PEQ settings.

Randy
post #553 of 797 Old 02-08-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:

...Other than that, I thought it was a good review that was VERY favorable to the HSU sub. If it hurt your feelings, oh well. Tissue?

Like I said, they've dropped a notch or two in my books, other books may vary. But if you're so sure it was good, why do you feel the need to belittle others? What are you compensating for?
post #554 of 797 Old 02-08-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

The HSU has 5 tunings points! is that so hard to get?....with combination of ports plugged or unplugged and with the EQ!....TOTAL of 5!...i am not the only one whos wrong sometimes here but at least i admitt it when i am!....
post #555 of 797 Old 02-08-2011, 07:14 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The HSU has 5 tunings points! is that so hard to get?....with combination of ports plugged or unplugged and with the EQ!....TOTAL of 5!...i am not the only one whos wrong sometimes here but at least i admitt it when i am!....

Actually, using this definition of "tuning points" , it has 15 according to this post ....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post19683927

You're right, it isn't that hard to get.

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #556 of 797 Old 02-08-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:

Actually, using this definition of "tuning points" , it has 15 according to this post ....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post19683927

You're right, it isn't that hard to get.

yes indeed..5 tuning points and with the Q adjustable...from 0.3 to 0.7....not only 0.3...0.5...or 0.7......so calculate it.....
post #557 of 797 Old 02-08-2011, 07:32 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

It's too many tunes for me to calculate. Infinite really.

Quote:

post #558 of 797 Old 02-08-2011, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This is all becoming rather tedious.

I'm hoping the FW review comes sooner rather than later.
post #559 of 797 Old 02-08-2011, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Like I said, they've dropped a notch or two in my books, other books may vary. But if you're so sure it was good, why do you feel the need to belittle others? What are you compensating for?

Why don't you just answer my question? Because you can't.

Randy
post #560 of 797 Old 02-08-2011, 08:44 PM

No, it's because I don't enjoy a pissing contest. I've stated my position and points several times on this and other threads and debated with people for about a week. It's gotten old for me and as you've no doubt realized there are people who disagree with you regardless of your brilliant finely tuned analytical prowess!

Life's too short to argue to a stranger on line who might well be a prisoner who snuck into the prison library and got online. I've got 3 years left myself.
post #561 of 797 Old 02-08-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrick7 View Post

This is all becoming rather tedious.

I'm hoping the FW review comes sooner rather than later.

Yeah, I'm with you on that one.
post #562 of 797 Old 02-08-2011, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

look... i don't know why you keep accusing me of having a God complex or being arrogant about my knowledge.

i come to avs to learn, not to look down on people.

but when i see someone completely misinterpreting an entire review it's only human nature to point out facts which shoot down conjecture to the contrary. in retrospect my posts appear harsh and disrespectful but that's only in response to how harsh and disrespectful you have been towarods a review you've consistently failed to underatand. I'm starting to sense that English isnt you first language so that may be the cause of you confusion but im not saying that my reading skills are anything to write home about. I'm simply pointing out that the review was very positive and every single criticism or complaint was thoroughly addressed.

Now regarding the tuning, ransac has it correct. the HSU has three physical tuning modes, just like the SvS and one more than the Rythmik. all tests were tested for output in their highest tuning modes and then reviewed in the same way. juat like plugging a port in the HSU improved transient response and bass extention, the same occurs with the the other two subs. so if the hsu sounds loose in a high tune and the other two dont it's a valid criticism. it's well understood by mostas well as suggested in the review that plugging the port should invariably improve sound quality and extention but take away output and 'BOOM' factor.

q on the other hand is an address of the SHAPE of the frequency response curve. a lower q will help in a larger room and a higher q will give more punch in a smaller room. with respect to sealed subs bigger boxes can affect perception of transient response because air spring/ ringing is reduced so generally we say that low q sounds better or dryer as a bigger box has a lower q and shallow rolloff. in reality the shape of the curve will not affect sound QUALITY but sound perception can change depending on coupling to your room. so the q dial on your sub is not a tuning but an EQ. a tuning has a much more dramatic effect in terms of driver-box-vent interaction.

so the hsu truly only has three tunes as well as some eq options... just like the other subs had plenty of eq options.

would it have been nice to read about listening tests proving the theory that a lower tune or sealed will improve damping? yes. but the fact is that the guy writing this review ended up testing six or seven different subs. it is not a full time job for him - in this thread it has been established that he worka for a pro audio company designing loudspeakers or something along those lines. appreciate what information he gave which was a ton more information than 90 percent of reviews. believe him when he gives it a 4/5 for performance and a 5/5 for value instead of picking and choosing statements out of context to fprm your opinion.

if were just expecting the review to tell you 'Boy oh boy it sounds good' in eight paragraphs then clearly you're reading the wrong publication. on the other hand if you look at the HSU specs and read 350 watts and then look at, oh, I dunno, Paradigm specs and read 1200 watts and then read this review you would learn as the reviewer wrote that watts arent everything. but you have to read the review without preconceived BIAS causing knee jerk reaction or surprise.

considering you own the HSU, do you not feel the reviewer is spot on about this sub being excellent bang for buck, as well as a great example of how cutting corners on things like cone material can get you excellent performance? these are all things the review implied. Do you not feel in its highest tuned mode the sub doesn't sound as perfectly tight as you may prefer? do you not believe him that paying more would get you more output while improving on tightness, but paying this much got you a great sub? did the review not tell you that lower tuning or sealed mode will improve damping at the cost of output in the range around 25-32hz?

I've read my share of audio reviews before. they usually don't help me at all. they tell me some guy enjoyed a product but his 20,000 product was just a little bit better. they leave with a sense of 'uh..okay.. so.. what did I get out of the review exactly'? Most sub reviews tell you that 90db transients overwhelm them and thats all the bass anyone would ever need. at most it'll tell you it's a product 'worth looking into' without much explanation of what its price point even entails.

seriously, you've owned a pricey paradigm sub. go read a review of it and tell me if it told you much at all past 'I like this product'. did it tell you it bottomed out like yours bottomed out? Did it tell you that the reason it had so much power wasnt to get loud but because the driver in a small sealed enclosure wouldnt be very efficient, especially at the low end? Did it even give you an idea of whether the company is trying to profit or just get a quality product out at a low price point?

I bet you it told you the guy's wife walked in and heard bass that made her cry even though she can't tell the differemce between a kickdrum and a flute.
post #563 of 797 Old 02-08-2011, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, it's because I don't enjoy a pissing contest. I've stated my position and points several times on this and other threads and debated with people for about a week. It's gotten old for me and as you've no doubt realized there are people who disagree with you regardless of your brilliant finely tuned analytical prowess!

Life's too short to argue to a stranger on line who might well be a prisoner who snuck into the prison library and got online. I've got 3 years left myself.

In other words, you know you have a weak and indefensible position, and you're going to stick with it. But thanks for the compliment.

As Paul Simon sang, "a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest'.

Randy
post #564 of 797 Old 02-08-2011, 09:32 PM

Yeah friend, whatever floats your boat...
post #565 of 797 Old 02-08-2011, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

Your opinion - if a review is positive then everything in the review has to be positive and any negatives shouldn't even be mentioned. A few small negatives instantly mean a review is overall negative because a potentiometer dial is as significant as output capability and if it doesn't sound quite as good as more expensive products then clearly there's other products in its price range that sound better than more expensive products

my opinion - yea... enjoy your 'flawless' budget products lmfao
post #566 of 797 Old 02-08-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity View Post

Your opinion - if a review is positive then everything in the review has to be positive and any negatives shouldn't even be mentioned. A few small negatives instantly mean a review is overall negative because a potentiometer dial is as significant as output capability and if it doesn't sound quite as good as more expensive products then clearly there's other products in its price range that sound better than more expensive products

my opinion - yea... enjoy your 'flawless' budget products lmfao

Thank you. But as I repeated to you before, I want a tough, fair review. Not one where the review has a chip on his shoulder that skews his remarks. In the not too distant future I hope to see another review, and I hope it will test the sub fully, and not have hang ups about color or the Bash amp. I want to know how it performs, not what the reviewer thinks about the marketing word rosenut. You obviously have your own preferences and that is fine, but those who won't allow others theirs have some kind of issues.
post #567 of 797 Old 02-08-2011, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I dont' have a boat.

Quote:

Thank you. But as I repeated to you before, I want a tough, fair review. Not one where the review has a chip on his shoulder that skews his remarks. In the not too distant future I hope to see another review, and I hope it will test the sub fully, and not have hang ups about color or the Bash amp. I want to know how it performs, not what the reviewer thinks about the marketing word rosenut. You obviously have your own preferences and that is fine, but those who won't allow others theirs have some kind of issues.

And getting weaker by the minute.

Randy
post #568 of 797 Old 02-09-2011, 03:24 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

At this point talking about the "tuning" points has turned into semantics (simply due to a lack of knowledge on how ported subs work to some extent). I.e., I guess one could argue changing the Q control which appears to act as some sort of filter (or dampening according to HSU I think??) control does change the "shape" of the curve, and therefore the frequency response of the sub to suit ones particular room, which I guess one could call "fine tuning" the subwoofer.

I.e., you have 3 tunes for the sub, sealed, 16hz, and 22hz (IIRC), and with the Q control several ways of shaping the FR.

As for the review, as Brian from Rythmik mentioned (as he requested his sub not be tested in the max output mode), all manufacturers were given a chance to comment on the port tuning, some were actually there during the measurement process, and all were provided with the results and review 2 days before it was posted. So maybe people should be upset with HSU for not bringing up all of these supposed "bad" points and wrong numbers before the review was posted, as now it has just caused utter confusion in light of what the sub was made out to be, and tarnished what should be considered a really good sub for under $1,000.

More importantly, Randy, for God's sakes man, seriously, get a boat!

Quote:

post #569 of 797 Old 02-09-2011, 03:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

yes indeed..5 tuning points and with the Q adjustable...from 0.3 to 0.7....not only 0.3...0.5...or 0.7......so calculate it.....

Did you do rew yet, or a rat shack sweep? You could have probably done every tuning point with the various q's ten times over instead of arguing on here. BTW, I am a fan of HSU.
post #570 of 797 Old 02-09-2011, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
More importantly, Randy, for God's sakes man, seriously, get a boat!
That brings up the question 'Which boat should I buy?' I don't want to get something that is underpowered, has the hull made from basic materials, has sloppy controls, has a utilitarian finish, is great for skiing but not for trolling, and doesn't run as well on its side as it does upright....

Randy
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page