Pioneer SW-8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 12-30-2010, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is the new Pioneer SW-8 a good buy? It looks Identical to the The cheapest Energy sub in the ESW series.. I posted about "8" subs earlier, but now I've narrowed it down, I slashed a Jamo, a polk sub off my list of Inexpensive "8" subs, there seems to be a few nice reveiws on the sub.

I already have a working and nice sounding "8" sub as I mentioned before, but I think it would be nice to have 2 subs seice Someone reccomended that having multiple subs that I'll have a more even response in all areas of my room..

My current sub sfills the room quite nicely and in its current placement there's no bloated bass like the node beside my listening seat...

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
The short answer is YES.

I recently picked one up for use in a near field application to round out the bottom end of a pair of the Pioneer BS41s. I figured that for the sale price I couldn't go too wrong. What stunned me was just how good it actually is. In my system, the BS41s perform FAR, FAR above what their price would suggest. Well, the SW-8 does a fine job of enhancing their low end while retaining all the positive aspects of tonality, dynamics and control which the BS41s exhibit. This is a purely 2 channel system (not really technically 2.1) and is EQ'd with a BFD. With the SW-8 I'm getting usable response down to 20Hz in my compact space, and while this is highly unlikely in a large or acoustically unfriendly space, it's still worth noting. Overall output is the same story. It has plenty of headroom for my application, I can't comment on its use in a larger space. I also have yet to hear any port turbulence, regardless of frequency, but we're talking about the 90dB range near field, so YMMV. Anyway, it's a bargain and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. My friend was over yesterday and commented on how impressed he was and he owns an Epik Empire, so it's doing some things very right.
post #3 of 19 Old 02-07-2011, 01:07 PM

Liked: 10
Hi:

I also bought Pioneer SW-8 (two pices) and SP-BS41-LR couple, I conected all to a stereo amplifier with 100w per channel. I have Radio Shack SPL meter and I'm over 115db SPL.
post #4 of 19 Old 02-07-2011, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisvalc View Post

Hi:

I also bought Pioneer SW-8 (two pices) and SP-BS41-LR couple, I conected all to a stereo amplifier with 100w per channel. I have Radio Shack SPL meter and I'm over 115db SPL.

sure you are buddy...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 Old 02-08-2011, 08:47 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

sure you are buddy...

lolz, I was thinking the same thing.

post #6 of 19 Old 03-10-2012, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 677
These are $80 again at newegg. I'm buying one for a secondary system, based on the positive reviews and cheap price. For $80 about the only other sub you can buy is a monoprice sub. I'll throw it up against the omnimic in my room in the next few days. We'll see how this little sub preforms in the same room that has hosted a couple subwoofer meets.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 19 Old 03-10-2012, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

These are $80 again at newegg. I'm buying one for a secondary system, based on the positive reviews and cheap price. For $80 about the only other sub you can buy is a monoprice sub. I'll throw it up against the omnimic in my room in the next few days. We'll see how this little sub preforms in the same room that has hosted a couple subwoofer meets.

Awesome.

I recently replaced my Infinity 12" with a Dayton 15" in my car, and moved the Infinity box to my bedroom. Its hooked up via a Dayton 240w plate amp, but I'm wondering if I could just get away with using the Pioneer if it performs well enough.
post #8 of 19 Old 03-10-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

Awesome.

I recently replaced my Infinity 12" with a Dayton 15" in my car, and moved the Infinity box to my bedroom. Its hooked up via a Dayton 240w plate amp, but I'm wondering if I could just get away with using the Pioneer if it performs well enough.

Your going to have to make that decision on blind faith beacuse the $80 off deal either expires tonight at midnight or tomorrow night at midnight and I won't get mine till next week. At any rate - $80 isn't that much of a loss if it's not that great and my expectations aren't high in the first place. It's small and it will easily compliment some little polk satelites being used for mains that are crossed over at 120hz in a non primary room. It reviews really well - but one has to assume that it is probably just those without a lot of experience that think it's so impressive. I expect it will meet my base expectations.

post #9 of 19 Old 03-10-2012, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Hi:

yeah maybe your speakers are hitting that.

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
My humble entertainment room

post #10 of 19 Old 03-10-2012, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Your going to have to make that decision on blind faith beacuse the $80 off deal either expires tonight at midnight or tomorrow night at midnight and I won't get mine till next week. At any rate - $80 isn't that much of a loss if it's not that great and my expectations aren't high in the first place. It's small and it will easily compliment some little polk satelites being used for mains that are crossed over at 120hz in a non primary room. It reviews really well - but one has to assume that it is probably just those without a lot of experience that think it's so impressive. I expect it will meet my base expectations.

It goes on sale about every two weeks or so.

You may be surprised by its output. I bought the Pioneer FS-51 towers and BS-41 bookshelves when they were $99/pair, and they smoke most towers under $500 easily. The clarity for the price is incredible. They make the Polk Monitor 70s sound like garbage.
post #11 of 19 Old 03-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Neat! Though I'm pretty sure the little guy will run out of steam very quickly in that room. Measurements will be fun to see though. It really is a no-brainer at $80.
post #12 of 19 Old 03-11-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:

I bet it won't damage any tiles.
post #13 of 19 Old 03-23-2012, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

This thing is straight weaksause...

It's a little fart in the wind in my bass hungry basement...

I guess it might be okay in a closet...

Graphs up soon in a measurement thread I'll link...
It sounds okay in my small living room, but it's too quiet even in that much smaller space. Sound Quality is good - spl levels are just miserable.

post #14 of 19 Old 03-23-2012, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi:

I don't think this thing would emmit 115db in a death squeal if you hooked it up to my crown xls5000 amp and burnt it to a crisp...

post #15 of 19 Old 03-23-2012, 07:54 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

It sounds okay in my small living room, but it's too quiet even in that much smaller space. Sound Quality is good - spl levels are just miserable.

What??? An $80, 8" ported sub that doesn't rock the world? Seriously, I bought one too and there isn't much to it is there? Well, truth be told I bought 2. They actually work really well in my computer system under my desk. To put my feet up on anyhow.........
post #16 of 19 Old 03-23-2012, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's a little fart in the wind in my bass hungry basement...

I guess it might be okay in a closet...

Graphs up soon in a measurement thread I'll link...

Oh yeah, that makes total sense after what we've read about your basement. In a small space it's quite a good little unit. Plus, you are simply spoiled now.
post #17 of 19 Old 03-23-2012, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1401651

My review and omnimic graphs are up in the above listed link.

You guys are giving this little jobber too much credit!!! I actually smiled when I couldn't hit 75dB on the AVR test tone with the sub's plate amp maxed out, and both left and right inputs on the plate amp engaged with a y splitter. That being said - if your expectations aren't too high and you just want to listen to some casual music - it's okay ... I guess.

For what it's worth it does sound clean and accurate when played within its means. It's just so limited though in spl that unless you are in a tiny room, have no use for any bass over 70dB, or are using it nearfield, or just need cheap - then I can't really recommend it...

You are right - I'm probably spoiled, this is the cheapest and smallest sub I've listened to in a LONG time outside of computer subwoofers, and aside from the THX rated Klipsch and Logitech computer speakers this sub would best the typical computer speaker subwoofer by a significant portion -- so I suppose it would likely succeed in that use.

post #18 of 19 Old 03-24-2012, 09:07 AM

Liked: 10
[quote=Archaea;21820334]http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1401651

Your measurements and your review make the SW-8 sound like it should cost $80.:

What do you think of this site's measurements of the SW-8? A lot prettier.:
http://www.hometheater.com/content/p...-labs-measures

The blue line is the SW-8.

Thank you for the review by the way. I bought two of the SW-8s during the sale as my first subs ever. I was impressed with them while watching a couple films, but I have no idea what the films are supposed to sound like... I have a medium sized living room thats open to the kitchen and "day" room, so a large room I guess.

Also, I am more inclined to trust a hobbyist's measurements over the paid advertisers, er, I mean, professional reviewers.
post #19 of 19 Old 03-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Remember that Archaea's measurements are taken from his mlp - the HT mag measurements are probably a close-mic measurement just to get a basic FR.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page