post #91 of 120 Old 12-04-2011, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysterD View Post

Does anyone know if these come with cables in the box?

Subs, speakers, and receivers don't normally come with cables, partly because people have different cable needs and standards.

Get one of these high quality coaxial cables from Monoprice.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 120 Old 12-04-2011, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Subs, speakers, and receivers don't normally come with cables, partly because people have different cable needs and standards.

Get one of these high quality coaxial cables from Monoprice.

I presume I need 2 for L/R, right?
post #93 of 120 Old 12-04-2011, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
You only need one cable to run from the sub out on your pioneer.

Klipsch Synergy 3 speakers (LCR & surrounds)
dual Klipsch RW 12d
dual BIC PL-200
120" DIY 16:9 screen
Panasonic PT AX 200U projector
Panasonic BMP-BD35 blu-ray
Velodyne SMS-1
post #94 of 120 Old 12-04-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorn kid View Post

You only need one cable to run from the sub out on your pioneer.

Really, only 1? I have a Yamaha rx-v661.
But doesn't the sub have a L/R input on it?
post #95 of 120 Old 12-04-2011, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysterD View Post

Really, only 1? I have a Yamaha rx-v661.
But doesn't the sub have a L/R input on it?

Modern HT receivers have a single LFE subwoofer out line (unless they have two for connecting a second sub). Most subs will designate one of the L/R inputs as the LFE or mono plug in to use from the receiver (check your manual).

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #96 of 120 Old 12-04-2011, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Modern HT receivers have a single LFE subwoofer out line (unless they have two for connecting a second sub). Most subs will designate one of the L/R inputs as the LFE or mono plug in to use from the receiver (check your manual).

I've got a Monster cable (suggested to me at the time by the BB salesman) for my sub. I'm upgrading my sub and wondering if I also need to update my sub cable. Have cables changed in the last 4-5 years? Or are they the same?
post #97 of 120 Old 12-04-2011, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I use cables from Monster and Monoprice. I hear no difference.

Klipsch Synergy 3 speakers (LCR & surrounds)
dual Klipsch RW 12d
dual BIC PL-200
120" DIY 16:9 screen
Panasonic PT AX 200U projector
Panasonic BMP-BD35 blu-ray
Velodyne SMS-1
post #98 of 120 Old 12-04-2011, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Might be a dumb question, but does the length of the cable matter?
post #99 of 120 Old 12-05-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYANtheTIGER View Post

Might be a dumb question, but does the length of the cable matter?

As long as it reaches, it'll be fine.

Unless your cable run is really long (50+ feet).
post #100 of 120 Old 12-05-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

It is back at $499 now. If it is really a great sub, don't you think it would have been sold out by now like the Emotiva Ultra12 for $329 shipped? People bought 2 Ultra12's each and it was gone by the end of thanksgiving week.

The Ultra 12 was on clearance for over a month before it sold out, and we have no idea how many they actually sold in that time or how many of these Newegg is trying to get rid of. I'd wager that Klipsch produced far more RW-12ds than Emotive did Ultra 12s, though.

Not saying one is better than other based on that (haven't heard either, but I have a RW-12d sitting in the box at home until Christmas), but just pointing out that there are a number of other factors in play.
post #101 of 120 Old 12-05-2011, 08:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5ehren View Post

The Ultra 12 was on clearance for over a month before it sold out, and we have no idea how many they actually sold in that time or how many of these Newegg is trying to get rid of. I'd wager that Klipsch produced far more RW-12ds than Emotive did Ultra 12s, though.

+1

Emotiva is a much, much smaller company that Audiovox (the parent company of Klipsch). No doubt that when a Klipsch line is closed out, the manufacturer has way more left inventory to sell. Newegg might even be receiving over stock that was not sold by smaller retailers.

post #102 of 120 Old 12-05-2011, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
My RW-12D showed up today. So far so good! I like what I hear!

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XBox 360 Slim l PS3 60GB l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR

post #103 of 120 Old 12-23-2011, 06:13 AM

Got one myself for $299....has a vibration rattle when I exceed -10 on base heavy material....still trying to locate....I assume the story on this unit is that Best Buy was by far the biggest customer and cut out the Reference line earlier this year in their Magnolia rooms. The production was probably geared to that demand, leaving lots of leftovers to unload....
post #104 of 120 Old 12-26-2011, 05:54 AM

[quote=tom67;21388641]Got one myself for $299....has a vibration rattle when I exceed -10 on base heavy material....still trying to locate....)

play some bassy material and push on the bottom plastic piece where klipsch name is,right above the port. mine rattled so bad i pulled it off. just has plastic push pins and could be hot glued again to keep on there.
post #105 of 120 Old 01-21-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Back on sale again till the 22 for $299

What is the general consensus frommowners that got in on this in the past? Anything comparable for the same price? Waiting on my tax refund hope I get it before this goes off sale
post #106 of 120 Old 01-21-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom67 View Post

Got one myself for $299....has a vibration rattle when I exceed -10 on base heavy material....still trying to locate....I assume the story on this unit is that Best Buy was by far the biggest customer and cut out the Reference line earlier this year in their Magnolia rooms. The production was probably geared to that demand, leaving lots of leftovers to unload....

I really doubt if any one buying at BestBuy would have paid full retail for this sub which is some $1000!!! So it wasnt probably made for BestBuy. You can find a much lower price for the Reference line from authorized online dealers than BestBuy. I guess $299 is a more reasonable retail for this sub :-)

In all probability this sub costs some $150 to make in China. It is ridiculous that Klipsch set the retail as $1000. No wonder it didnt sell much at $1000. For $1000 you could buy a sub that is 10 times better than this one. It looks like the Klipsch marketing dept. didnt do any research before setting such a ridiculously high retail price for this sub.

Klipsch recently increased the price of most of the Reference line. Why? They were not making enough profit by manufacturing them in China for a fraction of the retail cost? Why should few pieces of MDF glued together with fake veneer be sold for such a high price than it costs to make them in China? Capitalism sucks.
post #107 of 120 Old 01-21-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Imagine the frustration if some sucker really had paid full retail on this sub and had that rattle.
post #108 of 120 Old 01-21-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Audiogon blue book shows the retail price as $699. Is this a sales strategy by NewEgg to show the retail as $999 and savings as $700. People buy that sales gimmick and come here and say that this is an awesome deal because the saving is $700. Even $699 is not a fair retail for this sub considering the fact that you can buy a decent HSU sub for a lot less. If someone has $299, I am sure he or she has some $93 more to get the HSU STF-2 for $$349+43 S&H. If not just save up the extra $93 and get the STF-2 later. I am sure the STF-2 will not rattle at high volume :-)

Amazon shows retail as $799. So who is correct?

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html
post #109 of 120 Old 01-22-2012, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Audiogon blue book shows the retail price as $699. Is this a sales strategy by NewEgg to show the retail as $999 and savings as $700. People buy that sales gimmick and come here and say that this is an awesome deal because the saving is $700. Even $699 is not a fair retail for this sub considering the fact that you can buy a decent HSU sub for a lot less. If someone has $299, I am sure he or she has some $93 more to get the HSU STF-2 for $$349+43 S&H. If not just save up the extra $93 and get the STF-2 later. I am sure the STF-2 will not rattle at high volume :-)

Amazon shows retail as $799. So who is correct?

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html

HSU subs are highly thought of here, but you can't say everyone has an extra $93. Some people have a budget and that could make a difference.
post #110 of 120 Old 01-22-2012, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

The reason why the market is flooded with cheap crap from China is because people in USA would rather buy something cheap for a couple of 100 bucks than wait for a while to save up the extra cash and get something better and more value for their money. I guess HSU STF-2 is also made offshore but made better and has more value unlike the mass produced crap.

When people see some sale of cheap stuff, they just like to jump on it, as they dont have the extra cash at that moment. They just like to buy a cheap 5.1 HTIB instead of saving up the extra cash and build a good system slowly like getting a good 2.0 first.

Don't tell me that people who are shopping for a $299 sub do not have another $93. If not at the same moment, may be in the next couple of months. If they are on such a tight budget, then HT should not be their top priority. No offense. That is just fiscal responsibility.

By buying cheap crap from China that has much less value just so that you have a budget, you are only making things worse by increasing the demand for cheap crap and more cheaper crap will come in. We are already getting $84 sub at Monoprice and $129 sub at Meijer which is a grocery chain in MI. The slogan which Meijer uses is "High Standard and Low Price". No it is "Low Standard and Low Price". I am not saying that the sub is made by Meiher. They do make a lot of grocery items and they all suck. They use a packaging that is pretty much identical to brand names and place them side by side. Here are some amusing stories.

I have always been buying brand names. Not because I want to throw away money. Because they are better. I always buy Brownberry bread. Meijer bread packaging looks just like Brownberry. I once picked up the Meijer bread by mistake. I tried it and it tasked like cardboard. It was stale as they didnt use a sealed inner platic cover. I also bought Meijer brand Metamucil once just to try it as it was cheaper. It tasted like sawdust. I tried Meijer kindney beans and they have a weird taste. I buy the Bush beans instead. I gave away the big cans of Meijer beans to salvation army which comes to the neighborhood once in a while and puts a bag at my door.

Anyway... Its your money. Do what you want. I just wanted to exercise my first amendment right to express my opinion :-)
post #111 of 120 Old 01-22-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The slogan which Meijer uses is "High Standard and Low Price". No it is "Low Standard and Low Price". I am not saying that the sub is made by Meiher. They do make a lot of grocery items and they all suck.

That's not entirely true. I live in the Meijer mecca of the US. Meijer was started in this area, and we have one on practically every corner. Their organic brand goods often (not always) taste as good or better as the name brand, non-organic counterparts (e.g., their organic soy is better than Silk and about the same price). Although their bread is not very good (but neither is Brownberry to me). Meijer's goods are just rebranded generic brands, and like anywhere else, it can be hit or miss on what is better. And at least it's not canned in China.

As for the Metamucil, I can't comment on that . . . lol (is it supposed to taste good?)

Besides, the whole "name brand" argument isn't working well for you here in this thread. Sort of negates your argument in the previous posts about the HSU vs Klipsch as Klipsch is the name brand, and these ID subs are not well known at all. It's exactly the name brand consumerism mentality as to why people jump on the Klipsch, whereas spending a little more on the HSU is a tough decision for them.

post #112 of 120 Old 01-22-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's not entirely true. I live in the Meijer mecca of the US. Meijer was started in this area, and we have one on practically every corner. Their organic brand goods often (not always) taste as good or better as the name brand, non-organic counterparts (e.g., their organic soy is better than Silk and about the same price). Although their bread is not very good (but neither is Brownberry to me). Meijer's goods are just rebranded generic brands, and like anywhere else, it can be hit or miss on what is better. And at least it's not canned in China.

As for the Metamucil, I can't comment on that . . . lol (is it supposed to taste good?)

Besides, the whole "name brand" argument isn't working well for you here in this thread. Sort of negates your argument in the previous posts about the HSU vs Klipsch as Klipsch is the name brand, and these ID subs are not well known at all. It's exactly the name brand consumerism mentality as to why people jump on the Klipsch, whereas spending a little more on the HSU is a tough decision for them.

Well my name brand anecdote was mainly to say that Meijer brand is not a "High Standard". I also dont blindly buy a brand name just because it is a "brand name" or it is on sale. Anything that one puts in their mouth is supposed to taste good. Isn't that the reason why medication comes in the form of sugar coated tablets? Anyway.. any further Meijer discussion here is off topic. All opinions are subjective. Just because you like Meijer brand and I dont, it is not going to change the way others in Michigan do their grocery shopping :-)

These days whether it is name brand or not, they are made mostly offshore and also not all brand names are good value for the money. So just because a name brand is on sale, it is not automatically a great value for the money. Brand names like BOSE clearly exploit the consumer mentality. I am not saying that Klipsch does. I do own Klipsch products. IMO HSU STF-2 at $392 is a better value for the money than Klipsch RW-12D at $299. If people are more comfortable getting the RW-12D its their decision. Again opinions are subjective.
post #113 of 120 Old 01-22-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

These days whether it is name brand or not, they are made mostly offshore and also not all brand names are good value for the money. So just because a name brand is on sale, it is not automatically a great value for the money. Brand names like BOSE clearly exploit the consumer mentality. I am not saying that Klipsch does. I do own Klipsch products. IMO HSU STF-2 at $392 is a better value for the money than Klipsch RW-12D at $299. If people are more comfortable getting the RW-12D its their decision. Again opinions are subjective.

The other problem with this is that people come in with budget allocations for subs that not well-proportioned for their setup. They spend $1500 on their speakers and receiver and think $300 is enough for the sub. Then they see the great deal below MSRP of something like the Klipsch and their consumer mentality tells them "WOW." I would never have thought this before I got the Outlaw EX, but with a $1500 budget I think most people would get more bang for their buck for HT with a 12" ID sub for $500 to $600 of their budget and less spent on the speakers and receiver. For instance, if many of these people with $300 budgets were to audition a 12" ID sub and the RW-12D in their home, I think they would choose to spend the extra money on the ID sub. The problem is that they have no frame of reference (lack of experience with subs other than what they heard at BestBuy) for making their decision, and thus all the <$300 budget sub requests we get. Given how many of those requests there are, there is something going on related to consumer expectations with that budget number.

post #114 of 120 Old 01-22-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

People come here and ask but what they want to hear is accolades about the budget subs and not suggestions asking them to pay a little more and get a better sub that is more value for the money.

If they dont have or dont want to spend the extra $93 to buy a HSU STF-2, they are not going to spend $499 and get the Epic Legend or Rythmik FV12. However there was one guy who bought the BIC F12, wanted to upgrade and ended up getting the Outlaw LFM 1 EX. He went from BIC F12 ($188) to Outlaw LFM-1 EX ($549). Why waste that $188 on the BIC F12 in the first place. If that is not buyer's remorse as he claims, then what is?

ID companies dont have the extra capital to spend on advertisements and also that they dont sell at Amazon.com or Newegg.com or Buy.com. They rely mainly on word of mouth and forums like this. So the consumers who visit those online stores would have never heard about the ID brands.

B&W, another emerging brand name at the chain store also sells subs that are overpriced. Would I buy their $1000 sub even if I can afford it? Hell no? Because it is not a great value for my money. Their 685 book shelf speakers are also made in China but a decent value for the money. I still didnt buy them because I have owned the B&W 602 S2's and have also heard the 685 in my home. I dont consider the 685's a better value than the 602 S2's. So I moved to the Klipsch RB81's. Lately I discovered that the older Klipsch KG series is a better value than the RF (in my opinion, note opinions are subjective). So I now own the KG speakers.

I have owned PSB, Deftech to mention some of the popular brand names. While they were good, I didnt consider them a great value at their retail price. I bought them new at a much lower price as the model (PSB T65) was discontinued or bought them used (DefTech CLR2000) but still didnt keep them for too long.

I have also owned the Magnepan MG12's which are certainly a great value for the money but when you factor in the extra cost of a powerful amp that those speakers need to play them at the same volume level as the KG's, then one has to think twice. Even with a Rotel RB-1080 amp, I just could not play the MG12's to high volumes. I didnt want to buy a WIRED amp at $1500-2000 just so that I could drive the Maggies louder. So I sold them. Yes that is sort of buyer's remorse. When you have buyer's remorse, the best option is to get rid of the item :-)

Anyway...One man's opinion/voice is not going to change CAPITALISM over night :-) I am more concerned that capitalism is going to stay as the GOP's favor capitalism. I hope they at least shift it to USA instead of China now dictating the US market from Payless shoes to Jet aircrafts!
post #115 of 120 Old 01-22-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Anyway...One man's opinion/voice is not going to change CAPITALISM over night :-) I am more concerned that capitalism is going to stay as the GOP's favor capitalism. I hope they at least shift it to USA instead of China now dictating the US market from Payless shoes to Jet aircrafts!

You mean the GOP's form of capitalism which favors big companies and their economies of scale practices, over the smaller independent companies like the ID sub and speaker manufacturers, where there is more "art" practiced in design and better value for the money? This as opposed to maximizing production, flooding consumers with massive amounts of marketing so that they don't "think" when they buy, and acquiring smaller companies, effectively eliminating the better quality competition?

Maybe I shouldn't have said that. I might be starting something (lol).

post #116 of 120 Old 01-23-2012, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm just looking at it this way.....

Yes I enjoy a good deal, I am not looking at this as is this $799 sub marked down to $299 worth it... I'm looking at it as is this a good sub for $299 compared to other subs in the same pricerange, or should I (as you suggested) look elsewhere for just a bit more money and get something more worthwhile.

I have been teetering for months on wether or not to just go DIY but I have to factor the cost of materials and time compared to what I would get if I went retail. I don;t mind putting in hours and hours of work.... but if I am goign to get the same end result as something I could have just bought for the same price or $100 more I lean more toward retail.

I am one who is in that tight budget catagory.... but I have worked long and hard and scrounged to get the best possible deals I can to setup a decent HT. I had one at my house but took it to my Fiance's since I am there most of the time (Denon 588 receiver, boston acoustics spakers), but missed having one at my house when I was there, so I decided to try to frankenstein something together so I didn;t feel guilty about spending abunch of money on it.

Right now I have $16 invested in my HT thanks to yard sales, dumpster diving, scrounging and etc. I am actually gettting ready to upgrade it in a bit here for about $50 and a couple hours work. I have a set of JBL 4410s and 4408s studio monitors I plan to re-foam and setup as my L/R and surround L/R. Cost of speakers was $0

Cost so far for current setup:
Front L/R Technics Sb-a27 free - someone was throwing them out
Surround L/R Pioneer s-h153b-k $6 - goodwill
Infinity sterling video center channel $5 - yardsale (came with surrounds too but not used ATM as the woofers foam is shot)
fisher st-828 as a quasi sub (only woofer hooked up) free - trash thought they would be fun to play with
Hafler pro 2400 amp free used for fischer speaker for quasi sub
Receiver Yamaha htr-5940 $5 - yardsale

But I still need a good subwoofer, and eventually a good center channel to match up better to the JBLs (same quality / clarity etc).
post #117 of 120 Old 01-31-2012, 04:27 PM

So I gotta be honest....I "upgraded" to the RW-12D from a HTIB Infinity 8" sub (yes, 8") and the difference is indiscernable. seriously. I am so disappointed. Apparently folks were right about shelling out the extra $$ for a REAL sub.
post #118 of 120 Old 01-31-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 566
I doubt that seriously. Which infinity sub?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #119 of 120 Old 01-31-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The same one he posted about in three other threads tonight with the same complaint Apparently, he doesn't know how to set his sub up.

post #120 of 120 Old 01-31-2012, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Something must definitely be wrong bifftannen with your sub or maybe the the setup. There is no way an 8" Infinity would play as loud or low as the Klipsch. I just set one up for my buddy this weekend. And in his 400 sq.ft living room with stair that go up into his kitchen and another down to his den, the Klipsch sounded loud and low. Filled that open space without any issues. A bit boomy? Yes it was. But there was no port chaffing as others have experienced. Hopefully it isn't something that comes up as it is played more and more.

Please let us know what model of Infinity sub, what receiver, speakers, settings you are using and hopefully we can help you to get it to produce more/better sound than your 8" Infinity.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page