No Sound From Sub - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-25-2011, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Def Tech Pro Sub 800, which has worked marrvelously for about a year. All of a sudden I noticed the other night that no noise was coming from the sub. Nothing has changed in configeration or receiver settings but the sub has gone silent. The red LED in back of the unit is on.

The only recent change to system is that I recently installed a new strip that essentially unplugs all of my entertainment equipment when it isn't used (to reduce power drain) - could that have caused this?

I have since confirmed that it is not an issue with the receiver settings. Nothing I can do will produce any sound from the sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-26-2011, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckma View Post

I have a Def Tech Pro Sub 800, which has worked marrvelously for about a year. All of a sudden I noticed the other night that no noise was coming from the sub. Nothing has changed in configeration or receiver settings but the sub has gone silent. The red LED in back of the unit is on.

The only recent change to system is that I recently installed a new strip that essentially unplugs all of my entertainment equipment when it isn't used (to reduce power drain) - could that have caused this?

I have since confirmed that it is not an issue with the receiver settings. Nothing I can do will produce any sound from the sub.

Try plugging directly to the ac.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-26-2011, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the idea: I do have it plugged directly into the AC now and still no sound from the sub...
post #4 of 7 Old 01-29-2011, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've recently reconnected my system after some time in storage and a move across country.

When I play the "test tone" in the speaker set-up menu of my blu-ray player I hear nothing from the sub.

Pertinent Equipement
Receiver - Denon 5800
Blu-Ray - Samsung 3600A
Subwoofer - Alon Centris Powered Subwoofer
The Sub is connected to the Denon by a Subwoofer cable to the Left "Line In."

I'm using the analog multichannel outputs from the blu-ray player into the Denon.

When I do the "tone test" from the receiver itself I do get a response from the Subwoofer, but it seems overly "rattle-y" (for lack of a better word). Not the smooth rumble I remember.

To my knowledge, everything is set up correctly. (I made sure that Subwoofer was selected on the set up menus, etc) Sub is turned on. The sub volume is turned up.

Any thoughts? If it didn't work at all, I'd assume it was broken. But considering I'm getting a response from the Denon, I'm at a loss. (And the fact that it isn't a good sound from the Denon doesn't help)

And while I have your attention - second question - Is it recommended that I get a Y-adaptor and connect the "subwoofer cable" into both the Right and Left "Line in" on the subwoofer? (Assuming I get it to work properly) Thanks!
post #5 of 7 Old 01-29-2011, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Your owner's manual will tell you if you should use a y-adapter or just one of the two inputs. It does not hurt to use the y-adapter.

You can try connecting a dvd/cd or mp3 player directly to the inputs on the subwoofer. No sound means likely amplifier problem. You can also do the nine volt battery check by connecting to the two connections of the subwoofer driver. You must takes things apart somewhat.

You should try a different cable from the receiver to the subwoofer. Sometimes the cables go bad.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-29-2011, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just to confirm, any RCA cable will do, is that correct? At least to test and see if my "subwoofer" cable has gone bad.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-29-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry110 View Post
Just to confirm, any RCA cable will do, is that correct? At least to test and see if my "subwoofer" cable has gone bad.
Pretty much. I use component interconnect cables. Using a Y and connecting to both inputs only lifts the input signal. If your sub is coming out of standby or is set to always on, then you don't need the Y.

Randy
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page