Impact 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-29-2011, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright, It's been awhile since I've been on here, But I always love everyones input and love reading the threads. So, Right now I'm currently looking for a new subwoofer to replace my JBL PSW-1000 as I believe the sub gave out cause it wouldn't stay connected and I'd have to keep unplugging and replugging it for awhile, and now when I turn it above half it sounds blown.

Anyways though, I'm currently looking for a <$250 sub, My options that I'm currently looking at are the

Velodyne Impact 10 for just a little over at $269 shipped at amazon.com which I'm currently really looking at pretty hard.

Energy's EW-100 for 150.00 shipped at newegg.

Emotiva's ULTRA SUB 10 for $329 from emotiva's website (I'd have to wait, Which I'd rather not do, But if it's undoubtedly worth the wait, I would go as high as 330.)

There was a Technical Pro 15" sub on amazon for like 140 but I've never heard of the brand.

I was wondering, Which one does avs like the most for the price point and if there are any comparable subs at the price point.

My system consists of a Harman Kardon AVR-85, A set of older polk audio satellites (can't remember the model name off the top of my head.)

I use the setup for playing my Xbox 360, Watching TV and I'm currently about to switch over to a Denon AVR-391 next week so I'll be using it for watching alot of Blu-Rays on my ps3.

My room is probably 13-15 ft wide by 7-9ft.

I'm looking for a really boomy room filling sub, my PSW-1000 currently pounds loud enough my dad complains about it from his garage, I don't necessarily need something this radical, But I definitely want to still have power on tap.

Thanks for the help guys.

Regards,
Ted

EDIT: Didn't mean to put Impact 10 as the thread title, Meant to put "Subwoofer Suggestions?"

Also, Listening habits, I listen to my music loud when I can, but I also listen to it low at night.
No size requirements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-30-2011, 09:26 AM

If you're looking at more bass, less "finesse", then scratch out the Emotiva sub - and any sub that's sealed.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-30-2011, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone View Post

If you're looking at more bass, less "finesse", then scratch out the Emotiva sub - and any sub that's sealed.

Roger Dodger. Appreciate the input. So down to the Velodyne and Energy, Thanks alot vitocorleone.

Ted
post #4 of 12 Old 01-30-2011, 10:15 PM

Based on your input that you are looking for boomy, room filling bass, I would eliminate all the subs on your list. Since you're looking for boomy, as opposed to "tight and musical," you can get away with something pretty inexpensive that will give you exactly what you want and hit really hard. For your price range, it seems like the BIC America PL-200 will be the perfect fit (You can probably get it for about $270-280 shipped). There are many threads about this sub and some of BIC's others and the consensus is that this thing hits really hard and is a lot of bang for the buck. However, some on this forum prefer something like Emotiva, eD, HSU, SVS, etc. because they are more "musical." But since you want loud and boomy the BIC products are prefect. Of the ones you mention, the Energy is known for being a good, tight sub, but does not hit extremely hard or deep. The Velodyne Impact 10 does not hit very hard either. My smaller, cheaper Velodyne VX-11 hits way harder than the Impact 10. Good luck
post #5 of 12 Old 01-31-2011, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

BIC PL-200 has been ordered. Thanks for your recommendation thegoodguy. Can't wait till it gets here.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-31-2011, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoodguy View Post

Of the ones you mention, the Energy is known for being a good, tight sub, but does not hit extremely hard or deep. The Velodyne Impact 10 does not hit very hard either. My smaller, cheaper Velodyne VX-11 hits way harder than the Impact 10. Good luck

hey goodguy Im totally with you on the energy subs, they suck donkey balls & don't hit anything but are you sure about the VX-11 hitting harder than Impact 10 though? I've had VX-10 last year and thought it was simply amazing deal I got for under $150 performance compared to other Velo's I've had like SPL1000 but the Impact 10 should be better though with a little more wattage. How long did you have the Impact 10?
post #7 of 12 Old 01-31-2011, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
The VX-10/VX-11 is louder (SPL) than the Impact 10 but the Impact 10 sounds a bit better (tighter) IMO. I demo'd both the VX-10c and the Impact 10 a couple of times before grabbing a pair of VX-10c's, to use as mid-bass drivers, when they went on sale for $130 each at Fry's. The Velo's are great little bargain subs if digging deep is not a goal as you will not get much output below 32Hz. The small Energy subs are more musical but have no where near the output of the Velo's.

Jason
post #8 of 12 Old 01-31-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post

hey goodguy Im totally with you on the energy subs, they suck donkey balls & don't hit anything but are you sure about the VX-11 hitting harder than Impact 10 though? I've had VX-10 last year and thought it was simply amazing deal I got for under $150 performance compared to other Velo's I've had like SPL1000 but the Impact 10 should be better though with a little more wattage. How long did you have the Impact 10?

I'm wondering if Velodyne did anything different on the VX-11 compared to the VX-10. I bought the VX-11 at Frys for $135...maybe the best $135 I ever spent. However, as good as the VX-11 was, it was in a huge room, so I figured I'd upgrade and move the VX-11 to my 3rd HT system in the bedroom. I went back to frys to check out the Impact 10, and compared it side by side to their own VX-11. Myself and the salesperson both agreed that the VX-11 hit harder. I was shocked! In the back of my mind, I wondered if their Impact was defective. I later checked Velodyne website, which indicated that the Impact 10 only went down to 32hz (just 1hz lower than the VX-11). Needless to say, the Impact 10 was now out of the running. I wouldn't buy any sub as a main sub that didn't go down to at least 25hz +/-3dB. I'm still a Velodyne fan though. I briefly owned a DLS5000R, which was bad a$$. I've also heard my uncle's DD1812, which is the best home subwoofer I've personally ever heard.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-31-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenlyfe View Post

BIC PL-200 has been ordered. Thanks for your recommendation thegoodguy. Can't wait till it gets here.

Nice!
post #10 of 12 Old 01-31-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

The VX-10/VX-11 is louder (SPL) than the Impact 10 but the Impact 10 sounds a bit better (tighter) IMO. I demo'd both the VX-10c and the Impact 10 a couple of times before grabbing a pair of VX-10c's, to use as mid-bass drivers, when they went on sale for $130 each at Fry's. The Velo's are great little bargain subs if digging deep is not a goal as you will not get much output below 32Hz. The small Energy subs are more musical but have no where near the output of the Velo's.

Jason

I Agree
post #11 of 12 Old 02-02-2011, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Hey good guy..can you tell me more about your DLS-5000. How much better was than over the vx-11. Have you heard other velo's like DPS or SPL?
post #12 of 12 Old 02-03-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey67 View Post
Hey good guy..can you tell me more about your DLS-5000. How much better was than over the vx-11. Have you heard other velo's like DPS or SPL?
Well, as much as I love the VX-11 (easily the best sub that can be had for under $150), the DLS5000R is in a whole other league....in size, price, and sound. I had the VX in a large size room, in which it did a very good job considering its small size and output. I was Ok with it, because this was not my main HT/music system. But, the DLS goes waaay louder and waaay deeper than the VX can even dream of. The VX is great for a smaller room, which is why I moved it to the bedroom. The DLS on the other hand, was almost a bit much for that particular set up that includes an Onkyo 508 receiver and relatively small Polk M20 towers. It was hard to get the sound to blend well. It was a tad boomy, but I attribute that to the large enclosure, and my very large room with all hardwood floors. In the end, the DLS was a goner cause my wife said it was too big for the living room. I've since replaced it with the Klipsch RW-12d (I'd say the Klipsch is about 90% of what the DLS was in both size and output).

As far as the DPS or SPL, I haven't heard those, but I have heard the DEQ, which I believe is the replacement for the DLS, and it is very similar, but with more advanced EQ modes. I've also heard DD, which is just sick! To be honest, the only Velo I've heard that I wasn't too impressed with was the Impact.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page