Definitive Technology vs SVS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-10-2011, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys. I need some opinions. My current setup is:

An acoustically treated 13' x 22' with 8' ceiling dedicated basement Home Theater
Klipsch RF82 towers L/R, RC62 center, RS62's surround and RW12d sub.
Onkyo TX-SR806 130W/ch with L/R bi-amped
Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro DSP1124P

I have run REW and have three filters correcting my room fairly well. But I never really got things as smooth as I would like them on the low frequency end. I have tried different x-over points on L/R's - 80 Hz, 50 Hz, 40 Hz, full band (both with and without double bass). Double bass set to on sends LF signal to both L/R speakers as well as to the sub. Klipsh claims a frequency response of 33-23,000 Hz (±3dB) for the RF's. I want clean, accurate, clear, tight bass as I listen to music of all genres as much as I watch movies. I am considering a sub-woofer upgrade in the next few months. My two main choices are:

Definitive Technology SuperCube I and
SVS PB-13 Ultra

Anyone have experience with both? I am leaning toward the SuperCube and using the money saved to buy the SVS AS-EQ1 sub EQ. I am tired of manually (trial & error) trying to tweak settings. It seems the FIR filters are far superior to parametric EQing and the automatic EQ selection/use are tempting.

Any suggestions, advice, opinions, recommendations welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-10-2011, 12:08 PM

I have the exact same setup. I'm considering the HSU VTF-15 but landed cost in Canada costs almost as much as the SVS PB12-Plus! I'm now looking into the PB12-Plus. I was assured that for a room of 3000cbft +/- the PB12-plus would handle it flawlessly. The 13 ultra is a little steep in pricing.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-10-2011, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by savior sound View Post

Hey guys. I need some opinions. My current setup is:

An acoustically treated 13' x 22' with 8' ceiling dedicated basement Home Theater
Klipsch RF82 towers L/R, RC62 center, RS62's surround and RW12d sub.
Onkyo TX-SR806 130W/ch with L/R bi-amped
Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro DSP1124P

I have run REW and have three filters correcting my room fairly well. But I never really got things as smooth as I would like them on the low frequency end. I have tried different x-over points on L/R's - 80 Hz, 50 Hz, 40 Hz, full band (both with and without double bass). Double bass set to on sends LF signal to both L/R speakers as well as to the sub. Klipsh claims a frequency response of 33-23,000 Hz (±3dB) for the RF's. I want clean, accurate, clear, tight bass as I listen to music of all genres as much as I watch movies. I am considering a sub-woofer upgrade in the next few months. My two main choices are:

Definitive Technology SuperCube I and
SVS PB-13 Ultra

Anyone have experience with both? I am leaning toward the SuperCube and using the money saved to buy the SVS AS-EQ1 sub EQ. I am tired of manually (trial & error) trying to tweak settings. It seems the FIR filters are far superior to parametric EQing and the automatic EQ selection/use are tempting.

Any suggestions, advice, opinions, recommendations welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

The link I used to have is no longer active, but there was a collection of subwoofer measurements by Tom Nousaine. He measured the Definitive Tech Technology and it's output dropped below 30Hz. Though he didn't measure the SVS PB-13, but the SVS lesser models tested had higher output, especially at 20Hz.

I think getting a SVS AS-EQ1 sub EQ is a good idea....

How big is your room and do you have any REW graphs you can post?

Life is good.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-10-2011, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan1000 View Post

About 2,200 cubit feet.
Can't find graphs right now. I will look for them when I have more time.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-03-2011, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan1000 View Post

About 2,200 cubic feet here is my latest REW graph with sub + L/R

Attachment 204035
LL
post #6 of 8 Old 03-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

i had a def tech prosub1000 and a prosub 800.. both of them the quality was pretty weak compared to a svs pb12 plus2 box that i recently got...

not familiar with the higher end super cubes though.. but just from what i have seen i would take anything svs over the def tech.

also just from the specs of the prosub 1000 they say it goes below 20hz.. that pisses me off because i cant hear anything below 30hz or so from this sub with the gain turned a little over half way up..

it is like saying a car has 400 horsepower but really only has half that.. most people say the same thing.. def tech WAY overstates the capabilities of their subs.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
If you want the AS-EQ1 for the automatic aspect, I understand. But I doubt it can make the sound better than BFD/REW with the right tweaks. The BFD just has so much flexibility! Can be tedius but once you have it set, it's set.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-03-2011, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I agree 100%
REW + BFD is far more flexible, less expensive and certainly a better tweakable investment then the full on auto eq scenario.

I have ARC with my D2v and prefer to tweak my sub settings after ARC sets everything to totally flat. Totally flat for speakers is great, but I love a nice house curve for my bass to provide that punch in the chest.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page