post #331 of 345 Old 03-08-2011, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymalmsteen887 View Post
Has anyone had this happen before a sound freaked them out not because it was assoiciated with anything just the way it sounded made you feel extremely weird?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLGwV5H96eo
Listen to the part at 0:49 when he does a bend and release it freaked me out along time ago that I was paronoid to listen to it again and he is one of my favorite guitar players. I didnt know where is to put this and wanted to know if anyone knows what happened and if this has been figured out was a having a brain malfunction?
1) That post does not belong in this thread.

2) If something makes you feel bad or "weird" and you don't have to listen to it, then just don't listen to it.

3) This whole thread is just tiresome and it would be a blessing if a Moderator would just lock it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 345 Old 03-08-2011, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post
1) That post does not belong in this thread.

2) If something makes you feel bad or "weird" and you don't have to listen to it, then just don't listen to it.

3) This whole thread is just tiresome and it would be a blessing if a Moderator would just lock it.
How is it a problem it concerns sound and wanted to know if anyone has expierenced this before and if this thread is a problem why doesnt somone just delete it.
I agree that it is all over the place so it wouldnt hurt if it was deleted.
post #333 of 345 Old 03-08-2011, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No thats not what I was concerning myself with. I am saying does your brain upon hearing a harmonic series without the fundamental still preceive the fundamental?

I thought natural vibrations like musical instruments produced a series of intergers so why would 40hz produce 20hz wouldnt it be 40 then 80 then 120 etc. So if you went backwards wouldnt it be 0hz. Unless you meant harmonics concerning sound equipment but if so I dont know what harmonic means.
Where in nature are you going to get such a harmonic series? And, what does it have to do with subwoofers?
post #334 of 345 Old 03-08-2011, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
How is it a problem it concerns sound and wanted to know if anyone has expierenced this before and if this thread is a problem why doesnt somone just delete it.
Hopefully, a Moderator will Lock this thread, and soon.
post #335 of 345 Old 03-08-2011, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
No thats not what I was concerning myself with. I am saying does your brain upon hearing a harmonic series without the fundamental still preceive the fundamental?

I thought natural vibrations like musical instruments produced a series of intergers so why would 40hz produce 20hz wouldnt it be 40 then 80 then 120 etc. So if you went backwards wouldnt it be 0hz. Unless you meant harmonics concerning sound equipment but if so I dont know what harmonic means.
You only process what you hear, if you think your brain CREATES the missing harmonics then you are thinking about it wrong.

Speakers are NOT like musical instruments either, I think you keep trying to contect the too. A speaker playing a 40Hz tone will not have harmonics at 20Hz.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #336 of 345 Old 03-08-2011, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post
Where in nature are you going to get such a harmonic series? And, what does it have to do with subwoofers?
Any kind of string attached at both ends will have these harmoincs. Humans didnt make up these series we discovered these in nature and slowly build upon what was already occuring in nature. I never said it had anything to do with subwoofers.
post #337 of 345 Old 03-08-2011, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post
You only process what you hear, if you think your brain CREATES the missing harmonics then you are thinking about it wrong.

Speakers are NOT like musical instruments either, I think you keep trying to contect the too. A speaker playing a 40Hz tone will not have harmonics at 20Hz.
I didnt say speakers and musical instruments are the same at all. I think they are completely different. i didnt say i think my brain does htat I was asking if that is how it worked cause I have read a lot of sites that say it does. Spyboy was the one who said 40hz will produce 20hz not me I was saying how would it produce that it doesnt make sense.

I was always under the impression that if the frequency isnt there you wont hear it but some sites I have read said otheriwse and I was confused.
post #338 of 345 Old 03-08-2011, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
I didnt say speakers and musical instruments are the same at all. I think they are completely different. i didnt say i think my brain does htat I was asking if that is how it worked cause I have read a lot of sites that say it does. Spyboy was the one who said 40hz will produce 20hz not me I was saying how would it produce that it doesnt make sense.

I was always under the impression that if the frequency isnt there you wont hear it but some sites I have read said otheriwse and I was confused.
Ok, so you have two opinions. Who shows the data behind the opinion? Data is what matters. If there is no data, then create your own test. Get a driver, play a tone and measure the harmonics.

There is no doubt that there are many, many misleading posts and websites out there, the confusion created is pretty high. Just look at the Cable discussions alone.

If you can not find the data and you can not create the data at some point you have to just pick what opinion, what website you will follow. Over time you will either be corrected or you picked the right path.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #339 of 345 Old 08-05-2012, 08:58 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangles View Post

That's a long sentence

ROTFLMFAO
post #340 of 345 Old 08-07-2012, 06:37 AM

As a spectator to this thread, I would like to thank the people who have contributed. I was not the intended student, but I have learnt a whole lot none the less. Thank you for taking the time to really spell it out smile.gif
post #341 of 345 Old 08-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
This thread was a good laugh. Did no one suggest he get his hearing checked?!?! That would've been my first suggestion after his 2nd post. :P
post #342 of 345 Old 08-22-2012, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The Master Index of "The Flawed Physics and Misunderstanding of Low Frequencies"

Seeing as this thread got resurrected, I figured I'd attempt to provide some closure.

This thread was started on February 13, 2011 by an individual going by the user name of "ymalmsteen887". From the start, it was a little bizzare. From there, it turned into probably one of the weirdest, if not THE weirdest threads in the history of AVS due to either a profound level of ignorance, or a rather interesting troll. (The jury is still out)

However, as has been obsserved, there is a wealth of useful information which can be gleaned from the many posts of dedicated AVS members who tried in vain to help this individual. So that their efforts might not be forgotten, I offer to you, dear reader, this master index of the most helpful posts in this thread.

If you want to learn some good fundamentals of how speakers work, why they sound different, and considerations in the attempt to reproduce accurate sound, I recommend that you first hover your mouse over "ymalmsteen887"s name, and select "Block Member" in the drop-down list. He will only confuse you.

If, however, you are a bit more adventurous, then by all means, read what he has to say. But be warned, if a clinical trial were done, it would likely be proven that reading ymalmsteen887's posts will add more than a couple gray hairs to your head. That being said, the sheer oddity of this thread cannot be grasped if you ignore his posts.

Please do not respond to ymalmsteen887. This is an old thread, and he has not been active on this forum for over a year. In fact, I'm pretty sure all of his posts on AVS were in this thread alone. I believe this index will both help new members to find some good foundational information on audio theory, and put a nice little ribbon on this thread.

With that, I humbly recommend this thread be locked away into the annals of AVS history.

Post 4 by JHAz
How High and Low Frequencies Radiate from a Speaker
Why Bass is Louder in Headphones
Ported Subs and One Note Subs

Post 12 by ThePandemonium
Sine Waves vs Sound Produced by Instruments

Post 24 by brandonnash
Understanding Sound Reproduction in regards to speakers by using winisd.

Post 25 by MichaelJHuman
Considerations in Applying an Electrical Waveform (sound) to a Speaker Cone

Post 31 by jwickers
Why Different Speakers and Drivers Sound Different

Post 32 by MichaelJHuman
Efficiency, Power Handling, and Accuracy Defined

Post 36 by penngray
Cone Size and Off Axis Response

Post 37 by penngray
Why Equal Sized Cones Sound Different

Post 42 by MichaelJHuman
Using Pink/White Noise to Prove Speakers Sound Different

Post 55/56 by enderland
Frequency Alone Does Not Create Sound - The Shape of the Wave Is Important

Post 60 by enderland
Speakers Cannot Instantly React to Input

Post 62 by JHAz
How Speakers Can Alter Sound

Post 92 by DanLW
Why Speakers Sound Different due to Driver Materials

Post 95/98 by jwickers
Considering Music and the Details in the Music

Post 99 by DanLW
Speaker Construction and Issues Affecting Cost

Post 101 by lennon_68
Causes of Distortion considering Frequency Response and On/Off Axis Listening

Post 102 by enderland
Two Fundamental Issues Which Must be Understood Regarding Sound Replication w/Examples

Post 105 by ccotenj
Recommended reading: The Master Handbook of Acoustics

Post 116/118 by DanLW
Detailed Waveform Analysis and Reproduction / Discussion of THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) With Measurements and Examples

Post 120 by JHAz
Guitar Speaker Examples

Post 126 by jwickers
TV Speakers vs Floorstanding Speakers - Loud and Clear vs Loud and Distorted

Post 127 by DanLW
Why Distortion Sounds "Loud" w/ Measurements

Post 132 by DanLW
TV Speakers vs Floorstanding Speakers - Power Handling and Bass Response

Post 140 by goneten
Considering Room Volume and Displacement

Post 145 by JHAz
Pressurizing a Room vs a Car

Post 164 by JHAz
Bass Variance at Different Locations in a Room

Post 179 by lennon_68
More Causes of Distortion in Speakers

Post 188 by ironhead1230
More Reasons Speakers Sound Different - On/Off Axis Response, Compression, Distortion

Post 190 by enderland
Example Why a Speaker Can't Reproduce Sound Exactly

Post 204 by ironhead1230
On/Off Axis Response, Compression, Distortion Defined w/ Graphs

Post 214 by DanLW
Room Acoustics Considered / Speaker Faceoff Considered

Post 225, 226, 229, 230 by enderland
More Reasons Speakers Sound Different

Post 254 by ironhead1230
More Discussion on Frequency Response and Distortion

Post 255 by WheelerM
What Speakers Do in Addition to Moving In and Out

Post 257 by enderland
Considering Equalizing Speakers for Accurate Sound

Post 302 by penngray
Building Subs for Car vs Home Audio

Post 328 by spyboy
Some Points about Harmonics
Bob7145 and its phillip like this.

Still confused? Read "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" thread!
-Dan

post #343 of 345 Old 08-23-2012, 05:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

good recap dan... smile.gif

this thread may hold the record for the most amount of useful information provided to an op who absorbed exactly none of it... tongue.gif

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #344 of 345 Old 08-23-2012, 05:39 AM

Liked: 17
I have returned. What has changed?
post #345 of 345 Old 08-23-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't believe this thread hasn't been locked yet. The OP must be some kind of troll. Must resist the temption to say something insulting smile.gif
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page