New Sub - RSL Speedwoofer 10 - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 226 Old 12-22-2012, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi,

I’d like to thank Dave for sharing his experiences with our speakers. . I would like to comment on the posting from Archaea.

“...in this case RSL is not pushing the 20-30hz register at all.”

The fact is the RSL Speedwoofer 10 has a considerable amount of usable output below 30 Hz. The Speedwoofer contains a 20 Hz. high pass filter. Since there is not much useable output below 20 Hz, it doesn’t make sense using up amplifier power trying to reproduce it. Some subwoofers manufacturers will eq their subs to have additional output, typically in the 40-60 Hz. range, to give the impression of more bass. The Speedwoofer amp has no eq.

“………people don't know they are missing……..”

I’ve spoken to Dave and I found him to experienced and knowledgeable and I trust what he reports he is hearing.

“…………I've not heard the RSL sub.”

In closing, I just want to say that we appreciate those forum members who base their conclusions on the posting of people who have actually heard our products.

Happy Holidays!

Howard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 226 Old 12-22-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslspeakers View Post

Hi,

I’d like to thank Dave for sharing his experiences with our speakers. . I would like to comment on the posting from Archaea.

“...in this case RSL is not pushing the 20-30hz register at all.”

The fact is the RSL Speedwoofer 10 has a considerable amount of usable output below 30 Hz. The Speedwoofer contains a 20 Hz. high pass filter. Since there is not much useable output below 20 Hz, it doesn’t make sense using up amplifier power trying to reproduce it. Some subwoofers manufacturers will eq their subs to have additional output, typically in the 40-60 Hz. range, to give the impression of more bass. The Speedwoofer amp has no eq.

“………people don't know they are missing……..”

I’ve spoken to Dave and I found him to experienced and knowledgeable and I trust what he reports he is hearing.

“…………I've not heard the RSL sub.”

In closing, I just want to say that we appreciate those forum members who base their conclusions on the posting of people who have actually heard our products.

Happy Holidays!

Howard

Define considerable? There isn't anything in Jim's close mic graphs to support that. I don't have to hear it to know that it's not a good choice for HT based on Jim's evaluation. It's a contender for a music only setup and so long as it's not classical (sans organ) It has no depth hzwise.
post #213 of 226 Old 12-22-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 348
FWIW... the measurement in my review was the summed response of the driver and port. Here's what they looked like independently:

{green is the driver, blue is the port}

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #214 of 226 Old 12-22-2012, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

FWIW... the measurement in my review was the summed response of the driver and port. Here's what they looked like independently:

{green is the driver, blue is the port}

I saw it Jim.
Boundry gain would likely prop it up at 30hz and a bit lower, I don't think it would meet any definition of "considerable amount of usable output below 30 Hz" If he used more grounded discriptions it would be a non-issue, however making less than accurate claims isn't a big hit around here.
I bet he could sell a bunch in the B&M world however, as you know ,it's a tougher sell here. We just don't swallow the PR blindly. wink.gif
post #215 of 226 Old 12-22-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

That measurement doesn't include boundary gain though. The mic tip was positioned on the same plane as the front panel of the enclosure when I took the readings on both the port and driver, so there really wasn't any way for a boundary to contribute.

post #216 of 226 Old 12-22-2012, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That measurement doesn't include boundary gain though. The mic tip was positioned on the same plane as the front panel of the enclosure when I took the readings on both the port and driver, so there really wasn't any way for a boundary to contribute.

I understood that to be the case Jim. smile.gif
post #217 of 226 Old 12-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Thanks for adding your thoughts Dave. I'm glad everything worked out for you.
Just for reference sake... how big is your friends room?

I believe it is 23' deep X 20' wide X 9' high. It's on the second floor, and the rear of the room is open to the first floor.

Dave

FOR SALE: Wireworld Platinum 6 1M HDMI Cable. Originally $1000, selling for $500 obo. Please PM me, if interested.
post #218 of 226 Old 12-23-2012, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post

I believe it is 23' deep X 20' wide X 9' high. It's on the second floor, and the rear of the room is open to the first floor.

That would be over 4100 cubic feet, which is no small space for sure.

post #219 of 226 Old 03-10-2013, 08:15 AM

Liked: 15
So, I finally got the funds to order the new RSL Speedwoofer 10 and a pair of CG4's!! I will have them up and running this coming weekend! I am super stoked!! I will give my best and most honest opinion as soon as I get some good listening time in. I have been to a couple of demos and have been quite impressed. Doing business with Howard and Joe at RSL has been great.

"goodtimes"
post #220 of 226 Old 03-10-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post

So, I finally got the funds to order the new RSL Speedwoofer 10 and a pair of CG4's!! I will have them up and running this coming weekend! I am super stoked!! I will give my best and most honest opinion as soon as I get some good listening time in. I have been to a couple of demos and have been quite impressed. Doing business with Howard and Joe at RSL has been great.

Congrats on your new toys! I hope they work out for you - it's a nice system.

post #221 of 226 Old 04-28-2013, 12:58 PM

So, I have been living with the Speedwoofer 10 and a pair of the Cg4's for a while now and can honestly say that they are great speakers in all respects.
After some minor adjustments to the crossover, output level, and positioning, the sub integrates seamlessly! The volume is set between 1/4 and 1/3 and is room filling with movies, and more importantly for me, music. The crossover is set right at about 105hz. When in my listening position the low end truly sounds as it is coming out of the rather small CG4's. The CG4's sound very smooth and image VERY well. I have always been a tower speaker kinda guy and have always been skeptical about satellite/sub setups for music, but man these things do it all quite nicely. I listen to every thing from classical to metal to hip hop (and everything in between) and it all sounds great coming from the RSL setup. I have cranked these guys up quite loud and they handle it well. The sub is certainly no slouch. I prefer it to my friends SVS PC ultra cylinder sub. The SVS does dig deeper, but the Speedwoofer is much more musical and well rounded to my ears. The remote sub control is soo convenient. I have always hated having to get up to adjust the sub only to sit back down and get back up to adjust it again. Different movies and music have different levels of bass out put and I like to be able to quickly and easily adjust while sitting right where I will be listening from. There is no boxy boomy sound to the Speedwoofer either, it's sound is deep, clean, and smooth to my ears, I Love it.
While I do have a rather small living room, from what I have heard, I think these would fair quite well in a larger room and still sound sweet. In fact, the couple of demonstrations I attended before buying them were in much larger rooms and they did great. The size and finish is very pleasing to any one who may not be into speakers in their decor (all of my neighbors, ladies included, comment positively on their looks and sound).
Overall, for the build quality, sound quality, customer care and service, and last but not least price.....I would find the RSL's very hard to beat.
Kini62 likes this.

"goodtimes"
post #222 of 226 Old 04-29-2013, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Thanks for the review.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #223 of 226 Old 09-21-2013, 09:52 PM

Heelllooooo out there...............

Any new RSL owners around? I am still enjoying the heck out of my CG4's and Speedwoofer 10, and was wondering if there are any new opinions on them. I recently bought the LED ZEPPELIN Celebration Day Blu Ray and had a very impressive concert right in my living room. The neighbors were all invited.....biggrin.gif. They are awesome speakers and subs.

I was at an "audiophile" LAOC Audio Society meeting the other day and over heard a couple of very discerning gentlemen commenting on how impressive the Speedwoofer 10 was, sooo that must mean it is awesome. Ok, all jokes aside, these guys have been around extremely high quality (and high priced) equipment for literally decades and were still saying that for the price it would be hard to beat......just saying.

"goodtimes"
post #224 of 226 Old 05-26-2014, 09:14 PM

Ok, I have had the RSL Sub for some time now. But, I live in a "townhouse" *(glorified apartment) and as I have definitely played the sub fairly loud with music in the day time and such, last night was the first time I watched a movie and really let it rip. I had company over for a dinner and movie night. We watched Thor part two and I cranked it up to theater level the whole time. It was very impressive!!!! to say the least. My friend made the comment "the sound is way bigger than the picture", and this morning I asked my neighbor if I bothered him and he said "no, but I felt the movie and was trying to figure out what it was, was it Thor?" another neighbor two doors down said " was that you? I could hear and feel a crazy rumble and thought maybe there was some chemical explosion or testing going on somewhere" . All of the kids where completely mesmerized! This little sub ROCKS THE HOUSE!!! Funny how my neighbor said he did not hear it so much as he felt it. I can't wait until I have two!biggrin.gif
eljaycanuck and Kini62 like this.

"goodtimes"
post #225 of 226 Old 05-27-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Glad you are enjoying your purchase. In the end that is all that matters.cool.gif
goodtimes likes this.
post #226 of 226 Old 05-27-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Howard squeaks an awful lot out of a 10" driver, doesn't he? Best part, for me anyway, is the fidelity; it's not just boom-boom-boom.
goodtimes likes this.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page