Tell me about a good performing outdoor subwoofer! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 03-10-2011, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have two sets (switched) of outdoor stereo speakers used for enjoying either pool and/or patio activity. There is an obvious need for more performance on the low end (have become spoiled due to a very nice dedicated home theater set up). I'm willing to spend about $450.00 on the subwoofer (passive) as I have two separate 1000 watt pro amps on standby for use. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-10-2011, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Good question. I don't think any of the subs that are normally thrown around on here are capable of withstanding the elements. There should be some type of pro woofer...I'd be interested in seeing the responses to this as well. You want something that would stay outside and withstand rain?

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
My humble entertainment room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-10-2011, 07:07 PM

this is about the only outdoor sub I have seen. No opinion since I have not heard it.

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/atrium/sub10.php
post #4 of 16 Old 03-11-2011, 05:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
i've seen an "in-ground" one from a company called "tic"... can't comment as to how well it will work though...

subwoofage outside is gonna be tough...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 Old 03-11-2011, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 795
I have an el cheapo Audiosource sub that came in a HTIB sitting on my covered patio. Considering the conditions it's exposed to (I live along the Gulf Coast) - extreme heat, extreme humidity, freezes and has only been brought in for the occasional hurricane - it has performed extremely well for the six or seven years it's been out there. I have five other subs in three systems in the house and this one is really impressive sounding (no boundaries.)

I tell you all this to help you decide, if you're placing the sub under a cover.

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

post #6 of 16 Old 03-11-2011, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
post #7 of 16 Old 03-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Build one. I wouldn't take a chance on any kind of critter nests with a ported sub, I'd go sealed. Since you said "passive" that makes it alot easier. You aren't trying to bury it in the ground, right? Find a driver that is moisture proof and make a sealed, downfiring unit. For the enclosure, you could rely on paints/coatings to protect from the weather or you could use ground-contact rated treated wood. Do not use MDF, particle board or OSB...it won't hold up.

Or you could get creative with it and use sonotube to make a concrete enclosure! Would be pretty heavy though lol.

If you end up doing this, please report back!
post #8 of 16 Old 03-11-2011, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminbass View Post

Build one. I wouldn't take a chance on any kind of critter nests with a ported sub, I'd go sealed. Since you said "passive" that makes it alot easier. You aren't trying to bury it in the ground, right? Find a driver that is moisture proof and make a sealed, downfiring unit. For the enclosure, you could rely on paints/coatings to protect from the weather or you could use ground-contact rated treated wood. Do not use MDF, particle board or OSB...it won't hold up.

Or you could get creative with it and use sonotube to make a concrete enclosure! Would be pretty heavy though lol.

+1

Build your own waterproof enclosure with a driver like this one:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/swr-m100

BTW, Alpine recommend a 5 cu ft internal volume sealed box for that driver. (32" x 22" x 15" external dimensions)

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

post #9 of 16 Old 03-13-2011, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Build one. I wouldn't take a chance on any kind of critter nests with a ported sub

Yeah, I'm sure Speakercraft never took that into consideration and left a big gaping hole open for raccoons to nest in.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-13-2011, 02:21 PM

Dan, outdoor speaker depot dot com may have something that would suit your needs. I have a pair of their 8-inch rock speakers and they sound good. I have had a problem with the finish flaking but they were helpful in getting it resolved.
post #11 of 16 Old 03-16-2011, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info...looks like I have a few options available.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-16-2011, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Do some searches of Marine Audio.

I have a sub and amp that I bought for my boat. I think I got it at Crutchfield for about $ 300 bucks.

I bought a car sub enclosure that had "rhino linning" on the outside. Pretty much water proof as far as I can tell. Works great on my boat!
post #13 of 16 Old 03-16-2011, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

If he uses plastic spikes to keep it elevated and duratex for the outside coating then I would think that MDF would be just fine. If he's worried about it disintegrating then perhaps he could use some treated plywood.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #14 of 16 Old 03-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkshift View Post

Yeah, I'm sure Speakercraft never took that into consideration and left a big gaping hole open for raccoons to nest in.

I may have misunderstood, but I think the original poster was interested in something to sit on the patio, above ground? Vs the speakercraft that would likely be buried. Of course you could have a ported sub outdoors, you'd have to have some fine mesh on the port to prevent insects and such, at least in some parts of the country. Knowing my luck I'd have woodpeckers attcking it lol.
post #15 of 16 Old 03-16-2011, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I've got a rock sub that came from one of the outdoor speaker sites a couple years back. It's a woofer + passive radiator on the other side. Nothing like a nice HT sub but goes a LONG way to improve my outdoor speakers around the patio. I was quite surprised in how well it works.
post #16 of 16 Old 03-17-2011, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

I've done a little more thinking and am most likely going to go with the simulated rock sub with passive radiator (wife induced)! Thanks to all who replied.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page