AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by nube 
eljaycanuck,

I'm a big believer in science, and that adding to the cumulative wealth of knowledge in any subject is a good thing, especially when there are questions of particular claims. ...
I don't dispute that, but my question remains: Why was Josh testing that sub now?

Is it because Craig finally sent him the sub to test, even though it's no longer in production, and insisted that it be tested? Or because Josh is running so far behind on his work that he only just now got around to it? Or because Josh happened to have one lying around and, just for kicks, he decided to put it through its paces?

Maybe he'll chime in and provide some insight. Regardless, it is interesting to finally see the sub tested.
post #843 of 854 Old 05-31-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Craig told me long ago that his 18.2 would hit 104-106 dBs at 20hz and 92-93 dBs at 10hz. That does not seem to be too far off?
post #844 of 854 Old 05-31-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I read over Josh's results and the sub would be good for a small to medium room. This sub got a passing grade at 12.5 Hz. Yes the sub was under stain pushing 140 V. How many HT push that much power. Chase has moved on and so should some of these people . The bottom line on the one GTG is that the subs were not properly setup!!!

And, if anyone was kicked out of AVS it was because of his conduct. The sub, or anything thing else had nothing to do with proper conduct!

Arguing with people who have a bumptious, gail attitude will be filled with skewed information.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus Five 200 amp, Chase SS 18.2(2), VS 18.1(2), Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #845 of 854 Old 05-31-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

I don't dispute that, but my question remains: Why was Josh testing that sub now?

Because I asked him...nicely. smile.gif

I still have four of these subs and live about 2 hours from Josh....I wanted to see it tested and added to the data-bass and told Josh to go to town on it. No worries if it blows up as I have moved on from this sub. I struggled for a solid year trying to make this work in my 3000cf theater room and one look at the results shows me I had ZERO chance of making this sub work as a home theater system at reference level. All of the big bass movies killed this sub in my room with my taste in bass.

Also, now we will see if the "new" subwoofer offered by Chane is any better. CHT said over and over they were going to send this sub in for testing and never did...so it is up to Chane to send a sub to Josh to prove that they are offering a "better" sub.
post #846 of 854 Old 05-31-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

One more thing as I own both of these drivers...

The SI-18 sub times four is a big upgrade over the four CHT 18 subs for less money...

The UXL-18 subs are in another galaxy compared to the CHT subs for a little more money...
post #847 of 854 Old 05-31-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach 
That's a good enough reason for me! smile.gif
Quote:
I struggled for a solid year trying to make this work in my 3000cf theater room and one look at the results shows me I had ZERO chance of making this sub work as a home theater system at reference level.
I keep feeling that I'm missing something with my two SS-18.1s in my ~3,400 cu.ft. room, and now I'm wondering again whether PSA's new XV15se's might be an improvement. Any thoughts on the XV15se's vs. the SS-18.1s?
post #848 of 854 Old 05-31-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I keep feeling that I'm missing something with my two SS-18.1s in my ~3,400 cu.ft. room...

Watching movies?.... yes, you are missing quite a bit if you want to reproduce what is on the disc at realistic levels. BTW, adding two more SS-18.1 subs doesn't help as I tried that!

Quote:
Any thoughts on the XV15se's vs. the SS-18.1s?

I haven't had the opportunity to hear any of the PSA subs....sorry!
bossobass and eljaycanuck like this.
post #849 of 854 Old 05-31-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:

I keep feeling that I'm missing something with my two SS-18.1s in my ~3,400 cu.ft. room, and now I'm wondering again whether PSA's new XV15se's might be an improvement. Any thoughts on the XV15se's vs. the SS-18.1s?

Eljay, I have not heard the SS18.1's, but based on output, it should be a massive upgrade in the low bass department.  The SS18.1's hit 98 dB at 20 Hz.  The new XV15's are around 108 @ 20 based on internal testing.  From what I can see, the XV15se is up an average of over 8 dB from 20-31.5 Hz.  I was also very impressed with their mid and upper bass output for music.  I show the SS18.2 to be up 3 dB 40-63 Hz, but that does not surprise me as the testing indicated very high output in that region from the 18.1  So it looks like down 3 dB up top(do you need that or will you miss it?), but up a ton down low for movies.

I played(among quite a few others), the OHF Washington Monument scene, and was VERY impressed with the performance of the xv's, drastically higher LFE effect than I have ever experienced before.

eljaycanuck likes this.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #850 of 854 Old 05-31-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

Quote:

I still have four of these subs and live about 2 hours from Josh....I wanted to see it tested and added to the data-bass and told Josh to go to town on it. No worries if it blows up as I have moved on from this sub. I struggled for a solid year trying to make this work in my 3000cf theater room and one look at the results shows me I had ZERO chance of making this sub work as a home theater system at reference level. All of the big bass movies killed this sub in my room with my taste in bass.

Also, now we will see if the "new" subwoofer offered by Chane is any better. CHT said over and over they were going to send this sub in for testing and never did...so it is up to Chane to send a sub to Josh to prove that they are offering a "better" sub.

We'll see. Jon offered to post any graph of his "new" sub. When he was asked to he took off screaming like a girl. He went from "I got lots of graphs" to a whole lot crap

It will be a while. Look how long it took cc to his get one of his subs done.
post #851 of 854 Old 05-31-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach 
Watching movies?.... yes, you are missing quite a bit if you want to reproduce what is on the disc at realistic levels. ... I haven't had the opportunity to hear any of the PSA subs....sorry!
No problem, and thanks for your thoughts. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 
Eljay, I have not heard the SS18.1's, but based on output, it should be a massive upgrade in the low bass department. ... it looks like down 3 dB up top(do you need that or will you miss it?), but up a ton down low for movies.
That sounds like what I'm missing. I think I need to talk to Tom V. in the near future. Thanks for your thoughts, too. smile.gif
post #852 of 854 Old 05-31-2014, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1310
Quote:

the XV15se would have a huge advantage around the tuning point. Probably will be down a few db up top and not extend as deep. I would be willing to bet that you would gain 5-8db in the 16-30hz range over your current setup. That is a ton of headroom smile.gif

I just watched Pompeii @ -2 MV and my 3 XV15se were amazing. Clean, deep, hard hitting, and not a hint of port noise...of course I did not get to experience the entire disc being the track digs to 1hz, but I am content with solid 15hz on up. smile.gif
post #853 of 854 Old 06-01-2014, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

Eljay that is a large room and vented subs will serve you better. The PSA vented sub would be an excellent choice. Best of luck Eljay!
eljaycanuck likes this.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus Five 200 amp, Chase SS 18.2(2), VS 18.1(2), Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #854 of 854 Old 06-01-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 
Eljay that is a large room and vented subs will serve you better. The PSA vented sub would be an excellent choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 
the XV15se would have a huge advantage around the tuning point. Probably will be down a few db up top and not extend as deep. I would be willing to bet that you would gain 5-8db in the 16-30hz range over your current setup. That is a ton of headroom smile.gif
I think I can afford to lose a bit of output higher up, in exchange for more output down to 20Hz and below. My old SVS PB12-NSD used to roll off at ~18Hz and my current subs roll off at ~17Hz, so I don't expect to get any more extension from a pair of XV15se's.

But if I can get more overall output, especially down low - AND retain the "tight" / "musical" qualities of the SS-18.1s (something I like, and something I found lacking in the PB12) - then they do sound like a good way to go.

Thanks for the input, guys. smile.gif
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page