Need bass......Lots of it - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-14-2011, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which sub would give me more output and SPL? Two BIC 1220's or One Elemental A3S 250? Im looking for as much output as possible. My total budget is cut off at $450 and I am not interested in building the subwoofer myself.
All comments are appreciated. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-14-2011, 07:00 PM

Well the Elemental you listed would give you more output. But just one question...do you mean the A3S or the A3?
post #3 of 11 Old 03-14-2011, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by studsicle View Post

do you mean the A3S or the A3?

the A3S sorry about that.
post #4 of 11 Old 03-14-2011, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Well the Elemental you listed would give you more output. But just one question...do you mean the A3S or the A3?

Based on what? Why would a single 10" sub give more output than dual 12" subs? Now the A3 will go deeper than the BIC, but not more output and the A3S will probably sound better and have more output below the BIC's tuning point, but not more output in general.

Randy
post #5 of 11 Old 03-14-2011, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Not sure about the bics, but for $450 and if output is your main goal, the a2-300 will best the a3s-250 for sure.

The a2-300 is priced at $415 I believe.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-14-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post

Based on what? Why would a single 10" sub give more output than dual 12" subs? Now the A3 will go deeper than the BIC, but not more output and the A3S will probably sound better and have more output below the BIC's tuning point, but not more output in general.

You are correct; however, wouldn't deeper, cleaner, output, be better than higher, louder output?
post #7 of 11 Old 03-14-2011, 08:03 PM

Liked: 11
I almost got a bic because the price and people seem to like it. But in the end I went with the a2 300 because of how low it can go and I can say that it does not drop off at all down to 20hz on the test disc. Instead of stugling to play those freq it does without any loss of db. Two can be better than one but quality will always win over quantity.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-14-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:

If you want bass...lots of it...like your thread says, then you need ported subs. Sealed subs are very clean sounding but cant produce the spl's of ported subs. In this case...as far as amount of bass produced...the ported 12's would easily outdo a single 10. It would take much more power for a sealed sub to keep up in terms of shear output.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-14-2011, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

You are correct; however, wouldn't deeper, cleaner, output, be better than higher, louder output?

True for some people, but not all. And not what the OP asked for. Some will sacrifice deep bass response for more mid bass output. Some will sacrifice mid bass output for more deep bass response. Some will sacrifice output for accuracy. Some will sacrifice accuracy for more low end output. Some won't sacrifice anything for anything. All depends on what trade-offs you want to make within your budget.

I don't make sub recommendations, but the OP should save a little more and look at some better 12" subs. The Epik Legend comes to mind.

Randy
post #10 of 11 Old 03-14-2011, 11:55 PM

Be careful with budget ported subs. They might give you output but if you can not turn it up pass half way because it sounds boomy and distracting then what's the use if you aren't utilizing the output. Look for a good sounding sub first of all and utilize whatever output you can get out of it. Sealed aren't whisper quiet and do jam, it just ported get little louder and lower usually which is better for HT but they still need to sound clean.

There are a lot of good subs so select wisely or you might end up not totally happy with your pick. One PL-200 is ported and Loud (for the price) so you might only need one but only decent where SQ is concerned. Emotiva Ultra 12/10 for sealed is supposed to have good SQ with good output. HSU and Epik make great subs too as well as the Outlaw and few others that are still good value. Check reviews on this site and over at Audioholics to get a better feel.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...rs/allContents

Nothing wrong with starting with one good sub and adding the other later on if you want better balance or more output.

Sometimes ported is not like getting a Corolla when you want a Camry but getting a truck or a van instead. Just don't want you to make the same mistakes many made, including this poster, when getting a sub.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-15-2011, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 438
In your budget, the A3-250 will probably give you the most bass. That is squeezing every last db out of your dollar. There is also this, the Craigsub 10.2, I don't know how it would compare, but it looks to be in your budget and it will have some real punch for a low price. Outside of used, you won't get more SPL for your money. The Emotiva Ultra Sub 12 would be good too, I think it would have more bass above 35 hz but it won't match the above two for deep bass.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page