Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #1 of 41 Old 03-19-2011, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 848
I found this link and thought it was neat!

For instance: Forty 15" subs capable of producing flat frequency response down to 12hz at -3db. Made for the army as a sonic weapon. Can hit 94dB at 250meters, and play 24/7 as necessary - Forty 1000 watt amps, 1000 watts per sub, powered by a deisel engine inside the 20foot long speaker box.

World record claims

With varying measures upon which to base claims, several subwoofers have been said to be the world's largest, loudest or lowest.

Matterhorn
The Matterhorn is a subwoofer model completed in March 2007 by Danley Sound Labs in Gainesville, Georgia after a U.S. military request for a loudspeaker that could project infrasonic waves over a distance. The Matterhorn was designed to reproduce a continuous sine wave from 15 to 20 Hz, and generate 94 dB at a distance of 250 meters (820 ft), and more than 140 dB for music playback measured at the horn mouth.[72] It can generate a constant 15 Hz sine wave tone at 140 dB for 24 hours a day, seven days a week with extremely low harmonic distortion. The subwoofer has a flat frequency response from 15 to 80 Hz, and is down 3 dB at 12 Hz.[73] It was built within an intermodal container 20 feet (6.1 m) long and 8 by 8 feet (2.4 × 2.4 m) square.[74] The container doors swing open to reveal a tapped horn driven by 40 long-throw 15-inch speaker drivers each powered by its own 1000-watt amplifier.[75][76] The manufacturer claims that 53 13-ply 18 mm 4-by-8-foot (1.2 × 2.4 m) sheets of plywood were used in its construction,[75] though one of the fabricators wrote that double-thickness 26-ply sheets were used for convenience.[77] A diesel generator is housed within the enclosure to supply electricity when external power is unavailable.[74] Of the constant tone output capability, designer Tom Danley wrote that the "target 94 dB at 250 meters is not the essentially fictional 'burst' or 'peak SPL' nonsense in pro sound, or like the 'death burp' signal used in car sound contests."[78] At the annual National Systems Contractors Association (NSCA) convention in March 2007, the Matterhorn was barred from making any loud demonstrations of its power because of concerns about damaging the building of the Orange County Convention Center.[72] Instead, using only a single 20 amp electrical circuit for safety, visitors were allowed to step inside the horn of the subwoofer for an "acoustic massage" as the fractionally powered Matterhorn reproduced low level 10–15 Hz waves.

Royal Device custom installation
Another subwoofer claimed to be the world's biggest is a custom installation in Italy made by Royal Device primarily of bricks, concrete and sound-deadening material[13] consisting of two subwoofers embedded in the foundation of a listening room.[79] The horn-loaded subwoofers each have a floor mouth that is 2.2 square meters (24 sq ft), and a horn length that is 9.5 meters (31 ft), in a cavity 1 meter (3 ft 3 in) under the floor of the listening room. Each subwoofer is driven by eight 18-inch subwoofer drivers with 100 millimeters (3.9 in) voice coils. The designers assert that the floor mouths of the horns are additionally loaded acoustically by a vertical wooden horn expansion and the room's ceiling to create a 10 Hz "full power" wave at the listening position.[79]

Concept Design 60-inch
A single 60-inch (1,500 mm) diameter subwoofer driver was designed by Richard Clark and David Navone with the help of Dr. Eugene Patronis of Georgia Institute of Technology. The driver was intended to break sound pressure level records when mounted in a road vehicle, calculated to be able to achieve more than 180 dBSPL. It was built in 1997, driven by DC motors connected to a rotary crankshaft somewhat like in a piston engine. The cone diameter was 54 inches (1,400 mm) and was held in place with a 3-inch (76 mm) surround. With a 6-inch (150 mm) peak-to-peak stroke, it created a one-way air displacement of 6,871 cubic inches (112,600 cm3).[80] It was capable of generating 5–20 Hz sine waves at various DC motor speeds—not as a response to audio signal—it could not play music. The driver was mounted in a stepvan owned by Tim Maynor but was too powerful for the amount of applied reinforcement and damaged the vehicle.[80] MTX's Loyd Ivey helped underwrite the project and the driver was then called the MTX "Thunder 1000000" (one million).[81] Still unfinished, the vehicle was entered in an SPL competition in 1997 at which a complaint was lodged against the computer control of the DC motor. Instead of using the controller, two leads were touched together in the hope that the motor speed was set correctly. The drive shaft broke after one positive stroke which created an interior pressure wave of 162 dB. The Concept Design 60-inch was not shown in public after 1998.[82]

MTX Jackhammer
The largest production subwoofer intended for use in automobiles is the MTX Jackhammer by MTX Audio which has a 22-inch (560 mm) diameter cone. The Jackhammer can take a total of 6000 watts sent to dual voice coils moving within a 900-ounce (26 kg) strontium ferrite magnet. The Jackhammer weighs 369 pounds (167 kg) and has an aluminum heat sink.[83] The Jackhammer has been featured on the television show Pimp My Ride.[84]

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/subwoofer#ixzz1H3guLP2o

I hope some of the avsforum guys like notnyt don't see this thread. They'll probably have to disappear underground for couple years to best these projects

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 03-19-2011, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
A quick search of the word matterhorn would have revealed that the first of 27 other posts on it was in February of 2007. That helps explain why you get lots of looks but little comment.

There are other one-of-a-kind subs around including the massive underground concrete horn shown here: Scroll down some to see the pics.

http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.htm

But, the real deal with response to 3 Hz at 110 db, is the Thigpen Rotary subwoofer shown here:

http://www.eminent-tech.com/RWbrochure.htm

Some of these are in use in private residences and have been/are in use in places like churches with a massive pipe organ. Bruce Thigpen has said that he could produce a version of the TRW 17 capable of 120 db.

The problem with the Rotary is that it costs $13,000 and another $5,000-$7,000 for installation is typical.

As far as the Matterhorn, it will probably show up in the parking lot of some audio show and is certainly a novelty.
post #3 of 41 Old 03-19-2011, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That fan idea is a touch of genius and a lot of greed. There is no way that idea should cost $25,000 to mass manufactorer and install! Klipsch, Infinity, or JL should make their own design and mass produce it. Could't they put one of those fans in a sub box form factor to create strictly the low low low frequencies - say 5-16 hz and let users rely on their other subs for the traditional sound.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #4 of 41 Old 03-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
While certainly out of my budget the Rotary doesn't seem that crazy price wise considering a lot of the builds that people are doing with multiple LMS-5400 drivers when they use like 8 of them. Amps, enclosures, and all of the upgrade steps they might of had in between during various upgrades. Again not a cheap option by any means but with some of the budgets I have seen this doesn't seem like it would be that crazy for some people.

Good links. That underground concrete horn setup was amazing to look at.
post #5 of 41 Old 03-19-2011, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

That fan idea is a touch of genius and a lot of greed. There is no way that idea should cost $25,000 to mass manufactorer and install! Klipsch, Infinity, or JL should make their own design and mass produce it. Could't they put one of those fans in a sub box form factor to create strictly the low low low frequencies - say 5-16 hz and let users rely on their other subs for the traditional sound.

I haven't pursued it, however, some in the DIY community are trying to come up with a DIY version of the Thigpen. AFAIK, the Thigpen has variable pitch blades and perhaps some other capabilities that are not cheap.

As far as the price, that is up to Bruce. When you have something that is exclusive, you decide how to price it. Part of it is that installation is expensive and if you can afford $7,000 for the installation, you can probably afford the $13,000 device.

An ultimate system would use a Rotary for 3-~25 Hz and maybe a pair of Captivators with the 4,000 watt amp, for ~25 Hz on up.
post #6 of 41 Old 03-19-2011, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Also I don't think you can throw a rotary woofer in a sub box. They are usually installed into attics or have a dedicated room like an infinite baffle configuration. My guess is it wouldn't work in a regular sub box. These are custom installations. Here is a quick breakdown of what goes into the pricing off of the rotary woofer site.

Pricing:

TRW-17 transducer $12,900.00

Motor Controller $450.00

BT-42 Amplifier and crossover $1050.00

Design and installation, typical $8,000-$12,000*

Total $21,950-$25,950

*Note, design and installation fees include:

1. consulting engineering for the installation,

2. design and construction of the manifold at Eminent Technology

3. installation and setup of the TRW-17 by Eminent Technology

4. measurement and performance testing of the finished installation

5. travel for Eminent Technology employees

6. contractor fees for construction necesary for the installation

post #7 of 41 Old 03-20-2011, 11:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here is a pretty good one.

6 rotary Subs.

http://www.rotarywoofer.com/niagara%20fury%20index.html
spidey.joe80 likes this.
post #8 of 41 Old 04-09-2014, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just heard yesterday that Popalock bought a second set of sixteen 18" subwoofers.

yes that makes for THIRTY TWO 18" subwoofers in his home theater.

ummmm...

That's similar to the matterhorn which was constructed as a weapon proof of concept with its forty 15" subwoofers and 40,000 watts.

Popalock ---- toying with the stuff of legends...
Scott Simonian likes this.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #9 of 41 Old 04-09-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I just heard yesterday that Popalock bought a second set of sixteen 18" subwoofers.
And for that he'll get another 3 or 4dB output. Not exactly cost effective. rolleyes.gif

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #10 of 41 Old 04-10-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

And for that he'll get another 3 or 4dB output. Not exactly cost effective. rolleyes.gif

Debbie Downer 😒
BacHolz likes this.
post #11 of 41 Old 04-10-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 501
The Matterhorn is also horn loaded with those 15's to add much more output. I am not sure what Popalock needs but I would think playing his system at max now would hurt your ears. I am adding 4 more drivers to my system to try to get the smoothest response with zero EQ needed but I can't play the IB as loud as I could now as it hurts! His room is as big as mine except open to a hallway and mine is sealed. I doubt it makes that big of a difference.

AVR-Yamaha A830
amps-5 Adcom 555 in 850 watt monoblock mode
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.
post #12 of 41 Old 04-10-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1656
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Debbie Downer 😒
One must be realistic with their expectations. With a small number of drivers you get 6dB for each doubling of the driver count, so going from one to two makes sense, as does going from two to four, or even four to eight. Then the rule of diminishing returns sets in, as you start to approach the number of drivers where more do not add to system efficiency, and all further SPL increases are purely power derived. When that occurs, generally in the vicinity of 16 drivers, each additional doubling gets only 3dB additional output. If you're already at the point where you can't even use the SPL capability you already have then you're spending more money but not really realizing any benefit from it. Now if it's worth it to you spending money just to be able to say "I've got thirty two subwoofers" that's OK too.
Jahjd2000 and ambesolman like this.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #13 of 41 Old 04-10-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:

Quote:

Debbie Downer 😒
One must be realistic with their expectations. With a small number of drivers you get 6dB for each doubling of the driver count, so going from one to two makes sense, as does going from two to four, or even four to eight. Then the rule of diminishing returns sets in, as you start to approach the number of drivers where more do not add to system efficiency, and all further SPL increases are purely power derived. When that occurs, generally in the vicinity of 16 drivers, each additional doubling gets only 3dB additional output. If you're already at the point where you can't even use the SPL capability you already have then you're spending more money but not really realizing any benefit from it. Now if it's worth it to you spending money just to be able to say "I've got thirty two subwoofers" that's OK too.

The only range where 16-32 18" drivers get worked is below 16-25Hz. At those frequencies, doubling the box volume and drivers still nets a good 5-6dB of output so long as they are equally powered.

That might not seem like much, but it's often forgotten that despite our reduced sensitivity at VLF, the equal loudness curves are much closer than 10dB at such low frequencies. This means the subjective loudness increase (phons) of 10dB at ~1kHz is realized with only a 5-8dB increase below 20Hz. Translation... Once you finally get above the threshold of audibility, we are very sensitive to increases in VLF SPL.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #14 of 41 Old 04-10-2014, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Debbie Downer 😒

If I had to guess at his goal I'd venture it's because I told him subsonic frequency playback wasn't worth pursuit even after hearing sixteen of his 18"s at his last G2G. He was confident he could change my conviction. lol. I now hold the puppet strings...muhahaha.

Stage lights
*Black Hawk Down Helicopter scene plays & finishes.
Popalock: "WHAT ABOUT NOW JON -- WHAT ABOUT NOW? -- You know I have thirty two 18" subwoofers in my 1,500 cubic foot theater space. ANDDDD did you realize that I've placed 24" subwoofers under each of my theater seats. Yes you are actually sitting on a 24" inch subwoofer!!! Did you feel that 7hz!?!? Did you feel that!? Don't tell me you didn't feel that!!!!"
Archaea: "Nah man, the juice ain't worth the squeeze"..."~15hz and up is where it's at!"
Popalock: "Noooooooooooooooooooo"
Stage lights dim
*Phone Rings
Stereo Integrity: Stereo Integrity, How may I help you?
Popalock: How much do you charge for an entire shipping container of several hundred SI 18"s? Oh yes? When can you have them delivered?

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #15 of 41 Old 04-10-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

ummmm...

That's similar to the matterhorn which was constructed as a weapon proof of concept with its forty 15" subwoofers and 40,000 watts.

Popalock ---- toying with the stuff of legends...

Either that, or toying with divorce. tongue.gif Maybe he's trying to stay ahead of Andrew?

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #16 of 41 Old 04-11-2014, 02:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 432
What about 100 of these long-stroke neo's

then beefed up, and then connected to 100 6ft satellite dishes, with 100 6ft inner tubes as surrounds. (DO IT!!!) tongue.gif

Also, don't forget mythbusters built a similar contraption:

did a 161.3db @ 16hz on a TermLab

But with LOTS of audible distortion
post #17 of 41 Old 04-11-2014, 02:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 432
10 million watts is currently the biggest system I know of (and yeah, there is a few subwoofers in there)
http://www.tvtechnology.com/audio-etc./0193/sound-image-to-put--million-watts-of-crown-amps-on-the-road/261530

Had to add some bigger tweeters to go with all that bass!

8 of those should do it, 2 on all 4 sides... like Durr!!! (LOL tongue.gif)

Boom Boom wink.gif
post #18 of 41 Old 04-11-2014, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Probably not anywhere near these world records but.....

Last Nov. I spent a few days in Las Vegas. Between 5 and 11 weeknights (don't know about weekends) the Mirage hotel "volcano" erupts on the hour. It's probably about 40 feet high - didn't see how wide - but it's big. There's a lake in front of it up to the Strip. When it erupts, it goes boom and rumbles deep and you hear it! redface.gif It's deep, clear and solid.

I highly recommend that you experience it

http://www.meyersound.com/news/2008/mirage_volcano/
post #19 of 41 Old 04-11-2014, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post

Probably not anywhere near these world records but.....

Last Nov. I spent a few days in Las Vegas. Between 5 and 11 weeknights (don't know about weekends) the Mirage hotel "volcano" erupts on the hour. It's probably about 40 feet high - didn't see how wide - but it's big. There's a lake in front of it up to the Strip. When it erupts, it goes boom and rumbles deep and you hear it! redface.gif It's deep, clear and solid.

I highly recommend that you experience it

http://www.meyersound.com/news/2008/mirage_volcano/

I've stood right in front of that thing, and it's pretty impressive for sure, but it pales in comparison to Austin's "theater of pain". tongue.gif

post #20 of 41 Old 04-19-2014, 08:15 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post

10 million watts is currently the biggest system I know of (and yeah, there is a few subwoofers in there)
http://www.tvtechnology.com/audio-etc./0193/sound-image-to-put--million-watts-of-crown-amps-on-the-road/261530

That's not 10 million watts in one system.
It appears as if they're simply saying they've purchased that much in total, out in service on the road, spread across multiple tours.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #21 of 41 Old 04-19-2014, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

I've stood right in front of that thing, and it's pretty impressive for sure, but it pales in comparison to Austin's "theater of pain". tongue.gif

What is that? confused.gif
post #22 of 41 Old 04-19-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmerci View Post

What is that? confused.gif

Austin is an AVS member who goes by popalock. He has sixteen 18" SI drivers in a room not much larger then a closet. That's his theater of pain.

post #23 of 41 Old 04-19-2014, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Austin is an AVS member who goes by popalock. He has sixteen 18" SI drivers in a room not much larger then a closet. That's his theater of pain.

biggrin.gif lol!
post #24 of 41 Old 04-19-2014, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:

And he just ordered 16 more...
post #25 of 41 Old 06-28-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 999
"Liquify a human brain"... Lol. That's nuts!

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #26 of 41 Old 06-29-2014, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 141
My question would be where he's finding material to even support all those subs. With most movie releases, you're golden if you can get down to 20Hz.

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
Screen: 120" Elite fixed frame
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 2
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
post #27 of 41 Old 06-29-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post
My question would be where he's finding material to even support all those subs. With most movie releases, you're golden if you can get down to 20Hz.

Are you ever on the wrong forum to post something like that...

post #28 of 41 Old 06-29-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Are you ever on the wrong forum to post something like that...
I'm a pretty big boy and a have a brave soul.

I don't have the best setup in the world but it's as good as most. I just don't see the need for the single digits that people are so proud of beating their chests about. If it's not in the movie, there's no way you can get it out of the movie.

Let me see, we have the Irene scene and a handful of others? .0001% of movie releases?

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
Screen: 120" Elite fixed frame
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 2
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
post #29 of 41 Old 06-29-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post
I'm a pretty big boy and a have a brave soul.

I don't have the best setup in the world but it's as good as most. I just don't see the need for the single digits that people are so proud of beating their chests about. If it's not in the movie, there's no way you can get it out of the movie.

Let me see, we have the Irene scene and a handful of others? .0001% of movie releases?

Single digit content is not terribly common, although it seems to be increasing with almost every movie made. There is a tremendous amount in the teens though, and that has been plentiful for a while now.
Mfusick likes this.

post #30 of 41 Old 06-29-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice 

Quote:Originally Posted by ambesolman 

Debbie Downer 😒

If I had to guess at his goal I'd venture it's because I told him subsonic frequency playback wasn't worth pursuit even after hearing sixteen of his 18"s at his last G2G. He was confident he could change my conviction. lol. I now hold the puppet strings...muhahaha.

Stage lights
*Black Hawk Down Helicopter scene plays & finishes.
Popalock: "WHAT ABOUT NOW JON -- WHAT ABOUT NOW? -- You know I have thirty two 18" subwoofers in my 1,500 cubic foot theater space. ANDDDD did you realize that I've placed 24" subwoofers under each of my theater seats. Yes you are actually sitting on a 24" inch subwoofer!!! Did you feel that 7hz!?!? Did you feel that!? Don't tell me you didn't feel that!!!!"
Archaea: "Nah man, the juice ain't worth the squeeze"..."~15hz and up is where it's at!"
Popalock: "Noooooooooooooooooooo"
Stage lights dim
*Phone Rings
Stereo Integrity: Stereo Integrity, How may I help you?
Popalock: How much do you charge for an entire shipping container of several hundred SI 18"s? Oh yes? When can you have them delivered?

lol..
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page