2 Polk PSW10's VS 1 Klipsch SW-350 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 03-27-2011, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,
so currently i have an onkyo tx-sr608, 2 pole monitor 60's front, 2 monitor 50's rear, cs1 center channel, and 2 monitor 30's front hight. I have one PSW10 right now and it sounds pretty good.

My problem is my receiver supports two sub outs, the bass form the psw10 is ok, but if i turn it up to loud it distorts. My question is given the choice do i buy a second psw10 and just turn down the bass a bit so they dont distort, or do i sell the psw10 that i have now and buy one Klipsch SW-350?

Thanks for your responses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 03-27-2011, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I am not a fan of the polk or klipsch sub. I advise selling the polk and getting a sub better than the klipsch. If you are wanting to get the best sub for your situation, give us some more information that can be found here.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=989316

Using the info given we can give you the best options for your situation. For example if HT is your focus, at under $300 I like the BIC PL-200.
post #3 of 29 Old 03-27-2011, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Get the klipsch it will reach lower frequencies and will most certainly be better quality
post #4 of 29 Old 03-27-2011, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Get the klipsch it will reach lower frequencies and will most certainly be better quality

An 8 inch with +/-3db point of 31hz? Better than the polk but I think he can use more.
post #5 of 29 Old 03-27-2011, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp View Post

I am not a fan of the polk or klipsch sub. I advise selling the polk and getting a sub better than the klipsch. If you are wanting to get the best sub for your situation, give us some more information that can be found here.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=989316

Using the info given we can give you the best options for your situation. For example if HT is your focus, at under $300 I like the BIC PL-200.

ok so lets see if i can give a bit more info, I would like to put a price sealing of about 200-250 dollars

my set up is the Tx-sr608
2xMonitor 60's in front
2xMonitor 50's in back
2xmonitor 30's front hight
*will be adding either 2 more monitor 50's for front wide or moving the 60's to front wide and replacing them with monitor 70's
1x CS1 Center channel

What do i listen to:
the system as a whole is primarally used for movies and music, actions movies are a big deal to me

as far as music goes i listen to allot of dvd audio and SACD's, my favorite is by far both of the blue man groups stuff.

When i listen to two channel sources i prefer not to upmix so i just play it out of the front two speakers and the sub(yah classic stereo). I listen to a wide variety of music but lately ive been listening to allot of red hot chilli peppers and bands of similar sound.

As far as room goes:
My system changes location twice a year, from home to a dorm room and back.
The dorm room is about 12x24 with the home theater set up in the right 12x12 area. The location at home is a large basement room about 15x20 with the home theater occupying about 12x15 of that. The floors in the dorm are carpet as well as at home.

Personal preferences:
I like base that you can feel but at the same time its very important to me to try and recreate things very accurately, distortion and or overwhelming the other sounds are a very big negative for me.
Oh dont care about size to be honest as long as its black to match the other equipment.

Also if there is something that is mind blowing 50 dollars outside of budget please suggest it. Im budget concerned but i hate missing something great just because its a little outside of the budget.
I think thats everything if you guys more information please let me know
post #6 of 29 Old 03-27-2011, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is my advice. For HT I feel the most important speakers are the center channel and the subwoofer. Most all movies are 5.1 and a few 7.1(mixed for rear surround). I feel rears, heights, and wides should be a last priority. The subwoofer will be one of the three speakers used by you for music. It is tough to find a musical sub with output for 200-250.

Few sub choices:
BIC F12: can be found ~200
BIC pl200: <300
Emotiva ultra 10: 329

Here is a recent thread with someone considering your current sub.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1259597
post #7 of 29 Old 03-27-2011, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Here is my advice. For HT I feel the most important speakers are the center channel and the subwoofer. Most all movies are 5.1 and a few 7.1(mixed for rear surround). I feel rears, heights, and wides should be a last priority. The subwoofer will be one of the three speakers used by you for music. It is tough to find a musical sub with output for 200-250.

Few sub choices:
BIC F12: can be found ~200
BIC pl200: <300
Emotiva ultra 10: 329

Here is a recent thread with someone considering your current sub.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1259597

well here is my question is the emotiva ultra or the BIC pl200 a significant step above the BIC F12?
post #8 of 29 Old 03-27-2011, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is a thread between the BIC's. The Pl-200 is better.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1238402

The emotiva is a sealed sub and is supposed to be very good with music. The BIC subs are ported and will play lower better for HT, but won't be as musical. The 12" emotiva review is here.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...ofers/ultra-12

Any three of these subs are a good value and better than what you were looking at.
post #9 of 29 Old 03-27-2011, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Here is a thread between the BIC's. The Pl-200 is better.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1238402

The emotiva is a sealed sub and is supposed to be very good with music. The BIC subs are ported and will play lower better for HT, but won't be as musical. The 12" emotiva review is here.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...ofers/ultra-12

Any three of these subs are a good value and better than what you were looking at.

hmm its a hard choice if i can swing it ill probably try and grab the Emotiva just because i love music and at the least the review for the 12 leads me to believe that it can defiantly do my movies as well, if i cant i will buy the cheaper bic
post #10 of 29 Old 03-27-2011, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

That sounds like a good way to do it. I would also get the matching center channel over wides. Also just making sure you are using side surrounds for 5.1 as you said.

2xMonitor 60's in front
2xMonitor 50's in back
*will be adding either 2 more monitor 50's for front wide or moving the 60's to front wide and replacing them with monitor 70's
1x CS1 Center channel

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-ent...peaker-set-up/

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/...ide/index.html

Good luck, any way you go with the sub is going to be a big difference. Let me know how it turns out!
post #11 of 29 Old 03-28-2011, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...er-4-2005.html - Ed Mullen review of 505, little output below 30-35 Hz but still may be reasonable for music and some HT situations. Polk sub amps have generally been quite reliable.

At around $200, individuals in this forum like the BIC F12 and Premier Acoustic PA-120. At under $300, individuals like the BIC PL-200 and Lava LSP12. You need to check the respective threads in this forum on how to get the best price.
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...sp12-subwoofer - Lava LSP-12 - drops off substantially below 35 Hz

At around $400, individuals like the Hsu STF-2 and eD A2-300 that do not show some of the deficiencies of the lesser priced subs (one note wonders or little output below 30 Hz).
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/foru...er-test-review - review by Ed Mullen

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...ofers/ultra-12 - Emotiva Ultra 12 substantial output flat to 30 Hz and falls off below that (check figure at end of review). According to owners, it is very good with music.
post #12 of 29 Old 03-28-2011, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That sounds like a good way to do it. I would also get the matching center channel over wides. Also just making sure you are using side surrounds for 5.1 as you said.

2xMonitor 60's in front
2xMonitor 50's in back
1x CS1 Center channel

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-ent...peaker-set-up/

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/...ide/index.html

Good luck, any way you go with the sub is going to be a big difference. Let me know how it turns out!

oh just to be clear i already have the polk CS1, so thats taken care of. My last question is should I be ponying up the extra hundred dollars for the Emotiva Ultra 12 over the 10? Is it worth it or is it a waste given the speakers?
post #13 of 29 Old 03-28-2011, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

So i just placed my order for the 10, it will hopefully arrive this week. Cant wait to see how it sounds, because after doing some reading my hopes are pretty high. Question what type of setting should i use with it,

again currently i have a polk cs1 center channel, 2 monitor 60's in front, 2 monitor 50's in back, and 2 monitor 30's front high. Im connecting the sub with the lfe output of my reciever. SHould i use the y splitter, should i be setting it to bypass, should i use the cross over, what crossover settings should i set for my main speakers stuff like that, thanks again for all the suggestions
post #14 of 29 Old 03-28-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by me262 View Post

oh just to be clear i already have the polk CS1, so thats taken care of. My last question is should I be ponying up the extra hundred dollars for the Emotiva Ultra 12 over the 10? Is it worth it or is it a waste given the speakers?

I think he means the cs2 center channel...especially if you decide to go with the monitor 70's. Thats a big upgrade for not much cash. Check out the newegg sales. I think you will be pleased with your sub purchase.....let us know how you like it
post #15 of 29 Old 03-28-2011, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownaphobia View Post

I think he means the cs2 center channel...especially if you decide to go with the monitor 70's. Thats a big upgrade for not much cash. Check out the newegg sales. I think you will be pleased with your sub purchase.....let us know how you like it

wait there is a big difference between the cs2 and the cs1? Really? Also for the 60's and 50's isnt the matching center channel the CS1?
post #16 of 29 Old 03-28-2011, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownaphobia View Post

also let me ask this and i know im starting to stray a bit from my original topic so i apologize.
Again so i have the 60's, 50's, CS1,30's and now the Sub10

i have them in a 5.1 config, plus have the 30's rigged up for front hight.
The reason im not doing traditional 7.1 is because to few movies are being mixed with true 7.1 and on the few that i have listened to i actually really enjoyed the hight over the far backs.

So here is my other question, im planning to implement front wides. Ive been debating a few options. I was originally going to get the 70's instead of the 60's but i was reading that a 90 watt per channel amp (onkyo tx-sr608) is just not powerful enough to do those speakers any sort of justice and that i would need an external amp to really benefit from them which i dont want to do. So I ended up picking up the 60's. So first is that last statement true, would i not being doing the speakers justice just running them on my 90 watt per channel amp. The fallow up question then is, do I bother to buy the 70's to replace the front L and R speakers and move the 60's to FW and LW or do i just buy another pair of 60's or 50's for the front wides? Thank you again for your time.
post #17 of 29 Old 03-28-2011, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 113
First off, I do own a Klipsch SW350. We use it in a 5.1 setup along with M40's, a CS10 and Polk OWM3's for TV. Additionally I also have M60's, (soon to be 70's), M50 surrounds, and a pair of Klipsch Sub12's for HT and music. I like the 350 for TV because it does not go as low as the Sub12, which tends to rumble on some TV broadcasts.

The PSW10 is a terrible sub. I considered buying one a while back, but after reading bad reviews bought a BIC F12 instead. I've told my story over and over, so instead will refer you to some of my posts. Whenever I say anything about the F12 I always get flack from its fans. But if you like BMG then by all means get something better than the F12. BTW the two sub outs on your Onkyo are wired together... it's just like using a Y-adapter. Please read the following post plus their linked threads. Chances are I've already been down the road your on.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post19142756

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post19831044

Also read the Official Polk thread. Yes, there is a BIG difference between the CS1 and CS2.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...18137&page=340

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #18 of 29 Old 03-28-2011, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes the CS2 is a better center channel and those who have upgraded from a CS1 have seen it as a positive experience. The Monitor 60 and 70's have the same sensitivity, so they should go cleanly as loud as each other with the same amount of power. The 70's will go louder than the 60's, but will require more power to do so. There is no better match for a speaker than an identical speaker. If you are happy with what you are getting from your 60's, I say go ahead and get another set of 60's. If you want more and might get external amp in the future, get the 70's.

Another thing to realize is that the more channels you run off of a receiver, the less power each channel is capable of. So if you are going to be running 9 channels, each speaker will be getting significantly less power than when you are running 2.1 stereo. So an external amp may be worthwhile in the future. Also bass takes the most power to reproduce, so using crossovers to sub of 80hz can reduce speaker load by ~60%.

Yes the 12" is better than the 10". There are always going to be better speakers and subs for more money. It is important to get the best you can get for the money you are spending. That is why I said don't worry about getting wides right away as the center channel and sub most important for HT. Appropriate that money to get the most subwoofer you can now as that is definitely an important speaker.
post #19 of 29 Old 03-28-2011, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes the CS2 is a better center channel and those who have upgraded from a CS1 have seen it as a positive experience. The Monitor 60 and 70's have the same sensitivity, so they should go cleanly as loud as each other with the same amount of power. The 70's will go louder than the 60's, but will require more power to do so. There is no better match for a speaker than an identical speaker. If you are happy with what you are getting from your 60's, I say go ahead and get another set of 60's. If you want more and might get external amp in the future, get the 70's.

Another thing to realize is that the more channels you run off of a receiver, the less power each channel is capable of. So if you are going to be running 9 channels, each speaker will be getting significantly less power than when you are running 2.1 stereo. So an external amp may be worthwhile in the future. Also bass takes the most power to reproduce, so using crossovers to sub of 80hz can reduce speaker load by ~60%.

Yes the 12" is better than the 10". There are always going to be better speakers and subs for more money. It is important to get the best you can get for the money you are spending. That is why I said don't worry about getting wides right away as the center channel and sub most important for HT. Appropriate that money to get the most subwoofer you can now as that is definitely an important speaker.

ok thats good to know, well i will let you guys know how the 10 turns out when it arrives, and probably this summer ill grab the cs2, fallowed by the last two 60's.
post #20 of 29 Old 03-29-2011, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

So my sub 10 arrives tomorow and i had a question. On my receiver i have the speaker crossover for all of my main speakers set to 80hz, and the subs crossover on the reciever is set to 90hz? is this good, i mean im assuming that what this means is that all sounds that are above 80hz will play on the main speakers and all noise that is below 90hz will play on the sub. Is this correct? Also should i set the sub 10 to bypass or use the low pass filter, and if i do use the low pass filter do i set the crossover to 90hz?
post #21 of 29 Old 03-29-2011, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So my sub 10 arrives tomorow and i had a question. On my receiver i have the speaker crossover for all of my main speakers set to 80hz, and the subs crossover on the reciever is set to 90hz? is this good, i mean im assuming that what this means is that all sounds that are above 80hz will play on the main speakers and all noise that is below 90hz will play on the sub. Is this correct? Also should i set the sub 10 to bypass or use the low pass filter, and if i do use the low pass filter do i set the crossover to 90hz?

Set the speakers to 80hz.... You might be able to get away with setting the Monitor 60's to 60hz but others I would set at 80hz though

Set the low pass filter on the receiver to 120 hz and turn the knob on the PSW10 to max. With that setting you are letting the receiver do all the mixing so no need to worry about it

LPF applies to stuff from the LFE channels which have audio up to 120hz and below

With crossover at 80hz and all sound below that goes to the subwoofer in addition to the LFE sounds.

Whats the volume of your PSW10 set at on the subwoofer? What have you set the level at of the subwoofer on the receiver?
post #22 of 29 Old 03-29-2011, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Set the speakers to 80hz.... You might be able to get away with setting the Monitor 60's to 60hz but others I would set at 80hz though

Set the low pass filter on the receiver to 120 hz and turn the knob on the PSW10 to max. With that setting you are letting the receiver do all the mixing so no need to worry about it

LPF applies to stuff from the LFE channels which have audio up to 120hz and below

With crossover at 80hz and all sound below that goes to the subwoofer in addition to the LFE sounds.

Whats the volume of your PSW10 set at on the subwoofer? What have you set the level at of the subwoofer on the receiver?

Ok so speakers set to 80, cool. Ill set the PSW10 to max as well, the psw10 is currently at a volume of 4.

the speaker level for the psw10 is at 0db currently.

So i asume when i get my Emotiva sub 10 tomorrow i should leave these setting the same just mess with the volume to get it to match right, is that correct? Then also should i just plug it in using one of the ports or should i use the y connector, or does it not matter?
post #23 of 29 Old 03-29-2011, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Y connector for the Polk and single connection for emotiva.
post #24 of 29 Old 04-08-2011, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

So I will be writing a formal review when i have the time but i wanted to give an update. Got both the Emotiva 10 and the polk CS2.

The Emotiva 10 is everything i could have wanted and so much more, lows sound beautifull, its not booming by any means and my music and my movies sound great.

The CS2 was a very nice upgrade and got rid of some of the harsh highs that would occure when i watched somting at high volumes also well worth the upgrade.

Thanks all for your help
post #25 of 29 Old 04-09-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:

So I will be writing a formal review when i have the time but i wanted to give an update. Got both the Emotiva 10 and the polk CS2.

The Emotiva 10 is everything i could have wanted and so much more, lows sound beautifull, its not booming by any means and my music and my movies sound great.

The CS2 was a very nice upgrade and got rid of some of the harsh highs that would occure when i watched somting at high volumes also well worth the upgrade.

Thanks all for your help

I'm glad you are enjoying your new Emotiva. I loved my Ultra 10 until I got my second one. Thats when the magic happened.
post #26 of 29 Old 04-10-2011, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

im thinking of doing that in the next few months, the first thing on my list is to finish the 9.1 off with 2 additional 60's for front wides, then i will probably grab a second 10 if i can afford it
post #27 of 29 Old 04-10-2011, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Seeing that 12" Emo on sale for a little over four bills has me feeling a bad case of upgraditis!

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #28 of 29 Old 04-11-2011, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Glad to here it is working out! You are putting quite the surround sound system together.
post #29 of 29 Old 04-11-2011, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Glad to here it is working out! You are putting quite the surround sound system together.
thanks its really sounding great the only thing im still debating is monitor 70's up front and move my current 60's to the wide or just another set of 60's
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page