AVS Forum banner

Subwoofer songs - recommendation of the day!

158K views 1K replies 347 participants last post by  Archaea 
#1 ·
#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwyn /forum/post/20220477

^^^^ what should i be looking for in that song? You speak about integration into the system, so what should i notice?

Basically...you should not notice if sound is coming from the speakers or the sub. One should not stand out over the other whether it be in loudness or quality.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/20220398

The Sheffield Lab Drum & Track Disc is excellent for checking the integration of the subwoofer into your overall system.

http://www.amazon.com/Sheffield-Drum...1341231&sr=8-5

Some subs have deep extension, some accurate and articulate, some loud, some have it all, but it doesn't mean much if it is not integrated well.

Curtis, good choice.

The first song I always play after any calibration is Supertramp - The Logical Song. IMHO it is a fantastic song to check full integration. I have Breakfast in America Cd from MFSL.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicHSAD /forum/post/20220183

Bear McCreary - Assault on the Colony (from the Battlestar Galactica: Season 4 soundtrack)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=232j8kMEEh0

It may not have insane deep bass like some of the electronic songs around, but it is 15 minutes of instrumental awesomeness and powerful drums. The BSG soundtrack (all 4 seasons) is probably my favorite soundtrack of all time.

Battlestar Galactica is one that slipped through the cracks for me. I am currently on the second season and loving it! The soundtrack is amazing with powerful drums throughout. I looked up best order to watch and have my netflix que set accordingly.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/20220490

Basically...you should not notice if sound is coming from the speakers or the sub. One should not stand out over the other whether it be in loudness or quality.

This preference - like all things - is subjective. I can have this now with my current subs and don't really like it as much as "hot" bass where I can definitely tell I have some subs!

Why don't we try to keep discussion to a minimum in this thread -- and just have song references that we enjoy listening to on our subs. I look forward to youtubing or groovesharking some of these songs on my Home Theatre system and hearing some excellent bass filled music!

Check out grooveshark if you haven't - it seems you can listen to most any song on demand, unlike pandora type programs where you can only listen to songs 'like' the song you want.
http://listen.grooveshark.com/

Here is a streaming link of the music we used during the 2011 Kansas City Subwoofer Shootout.
http://k002.kiwi6.com/hotlink/28ub13..._Songs_mp3.mp3

Here is the download link -
http://kiwi6.com/file/28ub13rh6w

Shootout Results Thread - ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1335139 )

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp /forum/post/20220822

Battlestar Galactica is one that slipped through the cracks for me. I am currently on the second season and loving it! The soundtrack is amazing with powerful drums throughout. I looked up best order to watch and have my netflix que set accordingly.

BSG is awesome. Easily my favorite sci-fi show.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicHSAD /forum/post/20221333

BSG is awesome. Easily my favorite sci-fi show.

So far so good! I really liked Firefly ending with Serenity. I also really liked the first season of Fringe, and plan on starting second season after BSG.

#18 ·
I rented Tron Legacy on BluRay last night from redbox. It has 7.1 Dolby Digital Master audio. It was one of the best movies I've ever seen for subwoofer effects. Without a doubt my experience watching the movie last night was better on my home theatre than in the theater when I originally saw it. My projection image looked much better than the theatre, the gimmicky 3d was not there (wasn't a good implementation on this movie in my opinion), and the subwoofers --- ohhh the subwoofers!

There is bass throughout the whole movie - but there are a couple scenes where it is just knockout!

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea /forum/post/20279957

I rented Tron Legacy on BluRay last night from redbox. It has 7.1 Dolby Digital Master audio. It was one of the best movies I've ever seen for subwoofer effects. Without a doubt my experience watching the movie last night was better on my home theatre than in the theater when I originally saw it. My projection image looked much better than the theatre, the gimmicky 3d was not there (wasn't a good implementation on this movie in my opinion), and the subwoofers --- ohhh the subwoofers!

There is bass throughout the whole movie - but there are a couple scenes where it is just knockout!

i'm looking forward to this one. but unfortunately it says "very long wait" in my netflix queue. i may have to check out redbox or blockbuster and send the bill to netflix

#23 ·
I've always had a soft spot for old school progressive. I never get tired of slapping on ELP's "Fanfare For The Common Man." Viynl to boot.

#24 ·
If you took Steely Dan highly stylized and exquisitely clean sound, and morphed them into a reggae act,.....and then they were to cover the War classic, Slippin' Into Darkness,...it would be killer. Thick and dense percussion laden, smooth vocals, and a throbbing bass-line that simple, yet satisfying.

And it is; Black Uhuru's, Slippin' Into Darkness, off the Mystical Truth release...tasty stuff.

Here it is. Of the 3 click-able choices, only the first two are black Uhuru. The second one is somewhat brighter, the first one being somewhat warmer.

-------------------------

Being involved in live rock-n-roll for decades, my tastes were opened up while honeymooning in Negril Jamaica in the 80s. Countless subsequent trips to Negril exposed me to an outstanding live music scene. Why so outstanding? Everything's outside. So huge amounts of bass cabinets outdoors leads to very nice quality to the LF sound.

Typical observation; Upon arrival to an outdoor event after dark, I see a "Rube Goldberg" array of ground stacked, mis-matched hodge podge speakers. Front loaded, vented subs all across the front,...dozens of 18s. I scratch my head in frustration,...until the act launches into their first number....MAGIC! Words can't do it justice. The sound was tremendous..., as is typical in every club we ventured into.

I know discussion is to at a minimum, but I felt a bit of context was needed. A killer LF system outdoors can be a wonderful thing. Feet in the sand, under the stars, and at the water's edge....a you ask why we return so often?

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH /forum/post/20280865

Typical observation; Upon arrival to an outdoor event after dark, I see a "Rube Goldberg" array of ground stacked, mis-matched hodge podge speakers. Front loaded, vented subs all across the front,...dozens of 18s. I scratch my head in frustration,...until the act launches into their first number....MAGIC! Words can't do it justice. The sound was tremendous..., as is typical in every club we ventured into.

I know discussion is to at a minimum, but I felt a bit of context was needed. A killer LF system outdoors can be a wonderful thing. Feet in the sand, under the stars, and at the water's edge....a you ask why we return so often?

Nice imagery. I got to see quite a few old school reggae bands outdoors (including Marley and Tosh) but in the concrete jungle. Hope to experience this one day