Which Klipsch subwoofer between these two? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-29-2011, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just purchased the Klipsch QUINTET 5.0 Speaker System and now I need to purchase a subwoofer.

The Klipsch SW-350 8-Inch 350 Watt Subwoofer is designed to compliment the Quintet 5.0 system.

But I have an opportunity to buy the usually higher priced Klipsch Reference Series RW-10d - Subwoofer - for a price cheaper than the SW-350.

I'm concerned about buying a subwoofer that doesn't match up well with the other speakers, especially the Quintet and their small size. Also don't know about the advantages or disadvantages between down firing(SW-350) and front firing (RW-10D) subs.

Any advice?

Listening: 80% movies/20% music
Room Size: medium size living room, wood floors, 12 foot ceilings.

Thanks!
Marco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-29-2011, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
The RW-10d would be the better of the two I believe. If you want something inbetween those two with a down fire I would recomend the Sub-10 at vanns Link: http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it.../klipsch-sub10
post #3 of 7 Old 03-29-2011, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I would take the RW10d hands down. I has a larger cabinet, driver and a more powerful amp. It should play louder, deeper and more accurate too as it's from Klipsch's reference line. My parents have two of these in their theater room and they do a respectable job with HT duties. I wouldn't worry about matching it with the quintet as you can simply use the sub or A/V crossover to blend everything in. The Digital controls on top while somewhat gimmicky IMO are still something else that the SW350 doesn't have too
post #4 of 7 Old 03-29-2011, 05:57 PM

If it's between these 2 then I second the RW-10d. I owned it for a cpl years and it did a decent job. It did get quite boomy at times though.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-30-2011, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Just shouting out that I...somewhat impulsively just bought a RW-10d. I have an older sub on my main level that's having some "issues" so, seeing this Klipsch for $230 sounded like a great value (not supposed to mention sites/deals here, right?). I've read reviews on numerous sites, and concluded that this was a great value for my needs. Beside some minor dissing here, others elsewhere tout it as excellent within given parameters (room size, etc..). Add the fact that this was introduced in 07'...and is still being sold? Strong fact within itself, reviews aside. I own 15", 10", 12" SWs, and gave 2 others to friends/family. I don't think I'm going to be disappointed at all with this purchase...for my needs .

Again, just sharing .
post #6 of 7 Old 03-30-2011, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks dbx123, that same deal on the RW-10d was to darn good for me to pass up as well.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mferrulo View Post

Thanks dbx123, that same deal on the RW-10d was to darn good for me to pass up as well.

Quality company, quality name. Certainly, not everything they make is spectacular, but I'm highly confident I won't have any regrets, either. And let me be clear; I have dissed Klipsch constantly, as being overpriced (throughout my life, not on the web), but I have rarely ever dissed their "basic" quality...or perhaps more importantly, their integrity. This "mode changeable" SF should prove to be interesting.

You know, I've been out of the game a long while, but I see that most things haven't changed in the "audiophile" world; Both young & old (many, anyway), still think a SW with say, a built-in 300w is definitely worth the "extra $150" over the sub with "merely" 200. When chances are, that the difference will probably never be fully appreciated. But I digress.... I really just wanted to share this "deal" with anyone here. I've actually never owned a Klipsch speaker, but I've heard, demonstrated and auditioned dozens. I really just think this is an awesome buy/value...again...for MY needs .
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page