small room door open or not? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-31-2011, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I have my home theater in a 14x16x8 room. In the front third of the right wall is a door. I have been calibrating (XT32-Integra 80.2-+pro kit)) with the door open since it gets a bit hot with all the electronics. However I could increase the AC if it is much better to keep the door closed.

I just acquired a JL Fathom 112 and am coupling this with my previous Martin Logan Descent i. I have a Martin Logan LCR (Vantage, Cinema i, with NHT subs for surrounds (dipole) and ceiling NHTs for back surround).

The couch is ~3 feet from rear wall with TV out a foot from the front wall. Speakers are about 8-10' feet way from couch. Center speak is hung down from the ceiling about 2'

I can now get bass down to ~21 hz with the door open. I have not checked max sound levels but 85 db is easy for the system at the frequency.

My question is what are the pros/cons of the door open versus closed?

Thanks!

Joel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-31-2011, 05:02 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post

I have my home theater in a 14x16x8 room. In the front third of the right wall is a door. I have been calibrating (XT32-Integra 80.2-+pro kit)) with the door open since it gets a bit hot with all the electronics. However I could increase the AC if it is much better to keep the door closed.

I just acquired a JL Fathom 112 and am coupling this with my previous Martin Logan Descent i. I have a Martin Logan LCR (Vantage, Cinema i, with NHT subs for surrounds (dipole) and ceiling NHTs for back surround).

The couch is ~3 feet from rear wall with TV out a foot from the front wall. Speakers are about 8-10' feet way from couch. Center speak is hung down from the ceiling about 2'

I can now get bass down to ~21 hz with the door open. I have not checked max sound levels but 85 db is easy for the system at the frequency.

My question is what are the pros/cons of the door open versus closed?

Thanks!

Joel

You have a nice setup there. If the sound is plenty with the door open then you can leave it open. You will just be sharing your sound with the rest of the house. With it closed you probably will have a much fuller sound and better bass without having to run your components as hard. I personally suggest closing it and kicking up the AC. this way the room will pressurize better and less stress on receiver,speakers,etc. Also less chance of disturbing others in the house or neighbors. In terms of bass...your sub would also be trying to fill a much larger area than if your door is closed.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-31-2011, 05:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Leave it open. An open door is an effective bass trap.

(Actually, it is the open door-way, not the door.)

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #4 of 8 Old 03-31-2011, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the advice. Given the split verdict I will leave it open and make sure that the others in our home listen with me if possible.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-31-2011, 06:16 PM

Liked: 10
Kal is correct - if you are calibrating with the door open then leave the door open...

Two things happen here -

The first is that the added volume (meaning room size) helps to alleviate some of your low frequency modal issues.

The second is that this is the condition of the room for your calibration..... the calibration of the room with the doors closed would be completely different.

As far as the sub goes - closing the door will not increase the presence of your sub. Or at least not the way people think it will......

Low frequency modal issues cause huge peaks and dips in rooms- not uncommon at all to see some frequencies get a 30dB boost - while others get a 30dB dip. Anything in between - and often greater than that.

When you have a room with dimensions like yours - a 16' length with an 8' ceiling height - this reinforces the problem frequencies.

If you can live without isolation from the rest of the house - the door open is your best bet - If you can't then you have to live with whatever you have to live with

But either way - if you calibrate with the door closed it will never sound right with the door open - and the same in reverse........ so before you finish your calibrations you really need to decided where you want to go with this.......

Rod Gervais
Director of Education
GIK Acoustics
post #6 of 8 Old 03-31-2011, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I could always have two sets of calibrations one for each case. But given the arguments in this thread and my music loving partner acceptance of the open door, I will leave the door open.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-01-2011, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Gervais View Post

not uncommon at all to see some frequencies get a 30dB boost - while others get a 30dB dip.

Just to clarify, peaks are never 30 dB. The maximum increase you can possibly get from a reflection is 6 dB, though nulls of course can be infinitely deep. So while the total span from peaks to nulls can be 30 dB or even larger, and often is, most of that span is due to the null depths. In the graph below, the nulls are the main part of the peak / null spans. You can get peaks larger than 6 dB when multiple reflections combine in the air at a single point. But it would require a pretty amazing "confluence" for a peak to exceed 8 to 10 dB.

--Ethan

PS: I agree with the advice to leave the door open.

Source: Room Measuring Primer

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #8 of 8 Old 06-11-2012, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Door open has calibrated quite well with audyssey pro. May affect ultimate soun levels, but we do not listen above 90 or so.

J
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page